Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
misanthrope0

Saipian or Ark Royal

14 comments in this topic

[BEWBS]
Members
173 posts

1) Lots of planes.

2) Bomber dispersion is tiny, elipse is smaller than most BBs and allows you to do rediculous things like put 14 out of 24 bombs on a target. 

3) Torpedeo group has three planes to a strike instead of two. Makes beating torpedoes harder.

Downside? Swordfish are slower than... some really slow thing? 100 kts base speed.

But to be clear: fun ship, even when bottom tier.

Edited by Kuriour

[RLGN]
Members
11,783 posts
20,777 battles

Is it even out?

As long as the Swordfish have the special skill; ‘Can’t be shot down by Bismarcks, but can only score rudder criticals against them.’

• Funny 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,209 posts
11,440 battles

Well, Ark Royal is tier 6, and therefore usable in operations, don't know much else about her, other that the kicking, screaming, puppy dog eyes, and pointing out how completely wrong it would be to have Ark Royal in game and not be able to torpedo Bismark with Swordfish.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,054 posts
6,899 battles
3 hours ago, Kuriour said:

1) Lots of planes.

2) Bomber dispersion is tiny, elipse is smaller than most BBs and allows you to do rediculous things like put 14 out of 24 bombs on a target. 

3) Torpedeo group has three planes to a strike instead of two. Makes beating torpedoes harder.

Downside? Swordfish are slower than... some really slow thing? 100 kts base speed.

But to be clear: fun ship, even when bottom tier.

Your talking about AR I believe according to the Aeroon/Zoup videos she gets  an extra torp in her drop and extra bombs in the strike but not really much improved over the Furious. Just as many bomb non penetrations.

3 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Well, Ark Royal is tier 6, and therefore usable in operations, don't know much else about her, other that the kicking, screaming, puppy dog eyes, and pointing out how completely wrong it would be to have Ark Royal in game and not be able to torpedo Bismark with Swordfish.

The Operations as gimmick might be interesting other than that?

Saipan anyone?

[POP]
Members
515 posts
6,052 battles

I have the Saipan,  I have had her since rts days (actually was my first premium).  I have managed to maintain a 60%+ wr in her despite nerfs post 8.5.  Here are my 2 cents;

The good- 

Torpedo bombers, 2 planes 4 torps per drop.  Can be devastating if you land all 4

Dive bombers are pretty good for starting fires on BB'S and potato cruisers that sail in straight lines.

Rocket planes are great at starting fires on heavily armored ships like BB's and heavy cruisers.  

CV is pretty quick, if you keep moving ships will be hard pressed to ever catch you.

T10 planes, good speed, semi tanky 

The bad-

Small hangar size

T10 planes slow regen

Unforgiving if you are careless with planes

Torpedoes are kind of slow, easy for nimble ships to dodge

Rocket and dive bomber dispersion is huge compared to the number of bombs/rockets dropped.  RNG will leave you pulling your hair out when all 4 bombs find the sliver of water rather than the 95% over the ship.

Overall-

She was amazing in rts, she was amazing until 8.5.  She is still playable but unfortunately the way AA is designed currently you are expected to loose planes on even the best laid out attack runs, extra planes are used as "armor".  The Saipan was not designed for this so her slow regeneration rate mean it is easy to get deplaned even as a top tier ship.  I believe she still needs some balancing in that regard.  

If you are careful with your attack runs.  Never blindly fly over a mountain when there are high aa ships still un spotted.  If you only attack lone ships starting with low AA boats and if you alternate types of planes used you can do ok in her.  She is a high risk medium reward type of CV.  I have done well in her but she is definitely not for everyone.  If you are rather new to cv play I would recommend the kaga.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,209 posts
11,440 battles
15 hours ago, misanthrope0 said:

Your talking about AR I believe according to the Aeroon/Zoup videos she gets  an extra torp in her drop and extra bombs in the strike but not really much improved over the Furious. Just as many bomb non penetrations.

The Operations as gimmick might be interesting other than that?

Saipan anyone?

I picked her up, and took her out into a co-op just to quickly check her out.

She was fairly comfortable,  and she's relatively cheap. I see where she's gonna suffer when bottom tier, but what else is new for CV's.

Can't really compare her to Saipan, she's sort of like a tier 6 Kaga, with helicopters for planes.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[RLGN]
Members
11,783 posts
20,777 battles
On 9/17/2019 at 4:03 PM, SgtBeltfed said:

Played first game and first Op with it this morning; Lordy I love it for Killer Whale.

Slow means easier aim, more torps means easier to hit things. I even fragged that king of annoyance and bot smarm G-101 that always seems to cause problems at the south entrance. The slowness and tight turning also makes it easier to whip back around with the torpies faster than bots can pull their rudder shift foolishness.

Arc may become my new go-to carrier for KW.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,209 posts
11,440 battles
15 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Played first game and first Op with it this morning; Lordy I love it for Killer Whale.

Slow means easier aim, more torps means easier to hit things. I even fragged that king on annoyance and bot smarm G-101 that always seems to cause problems at the south entrance. The slowness and tight turning also makes it easier to whip back around with the torpies faster than bots can pull their rudder shift foolishness.

Arc may become my new go-to carrier for KW.

For me, the big plus is it's a fourth CV for operations,  and I use my 19 point british CV captain without respecing him. Actually being good at it id icing on the cake.

[UTWE]
Members
335 posts
4,752 battles

How is this not obvious? One of the CV's didn't do anything and I think didn't even participate in the war, the other helped sink the Bismark and participated in many battles in the Mediterranean. Not only that but Ark Royal is indisputably way better looking.

Members
586 posts
3,819 battles
On 9/17/2019 at 10:10 PM, misanthrope0 said:

Had Saipan before the rebork.  Ark Royal have any gimmicks to distinguish it from Furious?

Graf Zeppelin, Enterprise and Kaga. Ark Royal and Saipan are crap. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,187 posts
4,570 battles

I'm personally a fan of Saipan.  It requires the most caution of maybe any CV in the game...however,  when up-tiered it is  OP against anything T6 and most T7.    When under-tiered she can dish out substantial damage when the right spots are picked and can handle T10 AA reasonably well.      The Torpedo Bombers may be the best in game at any tier. However  throw away a squad of planes in haste..... its very costly.    They just can't be gotten back and they will effect you the rest of the game.    It has very high skill ceiling.   Very   

I am having a blast with Ark Royal.   Planes are tough.... level bombers are seriously good..    planes are slow so requires some patience and willingness to put you ship at risk to get a lot out of it.. But it's stupid fun and the most blatantly OP CV in the game at its tier from what I can tell so far.    It is the perfect easy mode CV....      

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
204 posts
9,010 battles

That's funny.  My experience is completely opposite from yours.  I'm finding the larger but weaker squadrons on the Ark Royal to be a significant problem.   I'm averaging over 20k damage and nearly 0.5 kills better on the Furious.  T8 AA literally cause Ark Royal to disappear in a red smear.

I enjoy the Kaga which also has larger but weaker squadrons, but I'm really struggling with the Ark Royal.

Sign in to follow this