You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Brambar

Ship for Coal - help me choose

38 comments in this topic

[7-TH]
Members
1 post
8,234 battles

Between Thunderer,  Yoshino, Smiolensk, Salem, or Georgia.

Just for some context, I have Conquerer, Des Moines, Jean Bart,  Alsace, Neptune, Roon, Seattle, Iowa, Fletcher, Buffalo, Kitakaze, Mushashi.  Of these tier 9/10 ships, I really like the Jean Bart,  Roon,, fletcher and Mushashi..  I hate the Neptune (wish I'd never researched the British cruiser line) and can't seem to do well in the Iowa.

Anyway, what do you think is the best choice?

[USN]
Members
1,747 posts
21,972 battles

Smolensk. No real question if you have to have one now, it is busted and may be removed well before anything else.

Thunderer is Conqueror 457 that is very AP focused

Salem is a DM with a superheal instead of radar, in essence

Yoshino shares most in common with Roon, back line HE spam, with AP in certain situations

Georgia takes bits of Alsace (speed and speed boost) and fuses it with Massachusetts secondaries, while having very accurate guns for a BB, but only 6 guns.

[PVE]
Members
20,171 posts
13,061 battles
5 minutes ago, Brambar said:

Just for some context, I have Conquerer, Des Moines, Jean Bart,  Alsace, Neptune, Roon, Seattle, Iowa, Fletcher, Buffalo, Kitakaze, Mushashi.  Of these tier 9/10 ships, I really like the Jean Bart,  Roon,, fletcher and Mushashi..  I hate the Neptune (wish I'd never researched the British cruiser line) and can't seem to do well in the Iowa.

I have Yoshino, and Salem. You seem to be a PvP main, so any are good. Salem is very similar to DM, so if you are grinding or have a DM 19pt Cmdr, Salem works well for complementing DM. If you need credits, Salem has a built in -50% service cost on top of the camo discount. Yoshino I haven't had long, but the torps have small angles. It is very like Azuma in co-op for me otherwise.

Here are three LWM reviews as Smolensk and Thunderer are too new. She will be the first to tell you to not to just rely on her reviews, but to seek out other reviews as well. I think LWM does a very good job at breaking down the ships and noting her biases.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,634 posts
16,867 battles

Ya, Smolensk, not sure why there is any question at the moment...

[A-I-M]
Members
4,093 posts
15,348 battles
13 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Ya, Smolensk, not sure why there is any question at the moment...

Agreed. Is there anything coming down the pike “soon”, though, that promises to dethrone the Smolensk?

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Judging by your currently owned ships - I would choose either Thunderer or Georgia.  

With Thunderer you could reset Brit BB line and not lose tier X BB and similar playstyle to Musashi.  Watch ichase video on it!

Georgia is awesome also, seeing you have Iowa you know its weaknesses - now add 18" guns, speed boost, Massachusetts heal and secondaries.

You have Des Moines and dont really need Salem.

I didnt see any IJN cruisers in your list, so probably not Yoshi - same with Russian cruisers and Smolensk.  Not counting them out, just do more research.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,489 posts
25,894 battles

That Russian thingy.......SMOLENSK........   It's nice to have a Dakka boat at that level.......with good torps and..........smoke.  Yes, it is made of waxed paper and spit, but, it is death to DD's.......  And, that's fun in and of itself, well worth the price.

[DJL]
Members
3,354 posts
19,207 battles

I have the same ships that you do. I just got Smolensk and it is fun. I'm not that great at it but then again I'm a real fail at cruisers. I still think it's your best choice. The Thunderer is a Conqueror with the larger guns that nobody used anyhow. They added some gimmicks to it but I still don't think it's anything special. Besides, it's only a matter of time before they remove Smolensk because of all the whining.

Edited by STINKWEED_

[RKLES]
Members
964 posts

If you do not like playing Neptune or the RN cruiser line, chances are you will not enjoy Smolensk very much.

Very similar gameplay to RN cruisers.

Just my $0.02

Edited by Learux
  • Cool 2

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,511 battles

Smolensk, but I suspect its a higher floor/Ceiling ship.  Being a good CA driver (in Mino/Nep helps).  I really like my Georgia, fun ship.  I will get Smolensk next as I have most of the older ships.  Salem would be my last choice of these.

I would probably take Georgia over Smol if I didn't have it already.  The Yoshino does intrigue me...I have seen them do some work, but again they are high ceiling/floor

[FML]
Members
4,314 posts
16,490 battles
2 hours ago, Brambar said:

Smolensk is overperforming and it’s just a matter of time before she gets pulled (or nerfed - presumably with some form of compensation). As such, would normally recommend her. BUT, she plays a bit like a fire breathing UK CL so given you hated that line, maybe she isn’t for you. 

The IJN T9 and T10 are known as bad, so I would steer clear of them.

Salem is quite similar to DM, so circle back to her later. 

Which suggests Thunderer or Georgia. I haven’t played either, but people seem to have found the Georgia fun to play - maybe if you hated the Gneisenau steer clear? 

Finally, I hated the Neptune but you should knuckle down and push through her - the Mino is quite different and great fun. 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

Smolensk is highly overrated, Thunderer and Georgia are top tier BBs both with amazing gun performance, I'd choose one of those. Yoshino and Salem are just meh if you have the tech tree ships of their lines they are strictly "for fun" picks if you enjoy the playstyle. Smolensk provides similar gameplay to Neptune but weaker still in some regards to utility and damage vs BBs.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,499 posts
12,237 battles
18 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

The Thunderer is a Conqueror with the larger guns that nobody used anyhow. They added some gimmicks to it but I still don't think it's anything special.

You would think this, but the guns are now at supercruiser-level accuracy, apparently, and with the appropriate mods, also at Scharnhorst-level reload speed.

[SYN]
Members
5,879 posts
13,316 battles
20 hours ago, Brambar said:

Having actually bought the Yoshino (before the Smolensk arrived), I must stress that you might want skip spending the coal for this ship.  Even with a coupon.  It's not a bad ship per-se, but it is definitely not worth the asking price.

Go with either the Smolensk or Georgia.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
1 hour ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

You would think this, but the guns are now at supercruiser-level accuracy, apparently, and with the appropriate mods, also at Scharnhorst-level reload speed.

Got Thunderer last night.  251m disp and 22.9 sec reload with mod.

Only 2 games thus far, not enough to tell really anything yet.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,499 posts
12,237 battles
22 hours ago, Brambar said:

Also keep in mind in terms of value calculation, right now buying a Tier X ship means a bonus SUPERCONTAINER for the first win, whereas picking up a Tier IX ship only means 2x Anniversary containers, which are not bad, but are not a supercontainer either. With this in mind, Thunderer, Yoshino, and Smolensk seem to be top value. Salem is a good ship, but you already have Des Moines, which is practically the same thing. Georgia is a good ship, but at Tier IX you lose the supercontainer bonus for the anniversary event. 

[B_Y_F]
Members
713 posts
16,489 battles

If you enjoy JB and Musimusi, Georgia will serve you good. Thunderer also looks good, and remember with 0.8.8 TX ship gift you a free supper container with the first win. 

[DJL]
Members
3,354 posts
19,207 battles
6 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I won't have enough coal saved up until end Dec - Jan ( I just bought a Smolensk) so that will be plenty of time to get feedback on this ship. I love my Conqueror so who knows...