You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Trying to do the sporting thing, backfired...

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,105 posts
3,232 battles

Having a decent game earlier in my Fletcher, our team was in control when I noticed a team mates Cleveland was engaging a enemy Kitakaze at medium range, I swing around and join in, the Kitty ate a load of our shells and was 95% dead and badly damaged, seen I only did minor damage I did the gentlemanly thing and withdrew so the Cleveland could finish him off, well that [edited]backfired, the Cleveland missed every shell, the Kitty popped smoke, sent a barrage of torps at the Cleveer, the nublet sails right into them. The Kitty escapes, try as I might I couldnt locate him in the islands he then sinks our top BB (Yamato) finishes off a half dead Baltimore and takes a cap. Despite outnumbered 3v1 the had enough points to see out the timer and win... 

Last time I do that, I don't care how much abuse I get for kill stealing. 

• Cool 1

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles

There is no such thing as kill stealing, so I have been told, it is called kill securing, and your story is poignant of why you should of "secured the kill", as you cannot always rely on people finishing the job. 

• Cool 9

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

Yeah, I've unloaded a full BB AP broadside at an almost dead DD just to make sure he's dead. I've seen to many DDs escape with 1K HP to have any qualms about kill stealing. Even worse with RN CLs, almost kill them, they get away, and the next time they're spotted they're back to half HP and we've got to do it all again. If a stealthy ship is spotted, unload everything on them until they're dead. 

In my mind, it's only kill stealing if a ship is clearly doomed, but you hold your fire until the last second to get the kill. Unloading as fast as you reload no matter the HP of the target is always acceptable. And we've all been playing long enough to know that trusting anything to teammates is a great way to let the enemy win.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,105 posts
15,369 battles

The "sporting thing" is to help the team win. Letting up to allow a friendly to rack up a kill (or fail to do so) is an unsporting act to the other ten members of the team who have an outcome at stake.

• Boring 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,785 posts
11,439 battles

Always take the kill shot.  You just never know what might happen if you don't secure the kill.

[WMD]
Members
1,972 posts
11,279 battles

Always finish the kill. I've been the DD that escaped enough times to know that you never leave a nearly dead DD running free, especially if they have decent torps.

[CNO]
Members
6,799 posts
20,434 battles
1 hour ago, VeatherVitch said:

Always finish the kill. I've been the DD that escaped enough times to know that you never leave a nearly dead DD running free, especially if they have decent torps.

...and Adrenaline Rush!!!!  

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,475 posts
19,057 battles

Finish them.  As far as I'm concerned "kill stealing" doesn't exist and I would never complain about it.  Far too often I see ships with less than 5% health run off and come back and influence the outcome of the game.  I can think of at least a couple of dozen games where I've been below 5% health and I've survived while helping my team win.  

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

You'd be surprised how often I've had to finish off a boat because the big ships didn't shoot or failed to land a salvo. Even in gun fights where you know a team mate should have the kill in the next salvo...but takes forever...kill it faster anyways. Remove the opposition's guns from the game ASAP.

[BLEP]
Members
193 posts
8,447 battles

Yep, always secure priority kills.

Now, if you swing your entire broadside round to take the kill on a CL that got stranded in the open at close range to 4 other ships shooting it and had 100hp and a fire when your shells hit.... there might be an argument that you're kill stealing.

[GOB]
Members
3,029 posts

Kill Stealing is a thing.. BUT it is in COOPS mostly.    It's the Meta that WG forces everyone into ...Kills and damage  by any means necessary. When WGS has everyone fighting their own mothers, ramming  etc.. ( especially when you need torp kills )  to complete tasks people will do anything for a kill.   People will say it doesn't happen but ESPECIALLY in my BBs I can brawl a BB to 100HP and just KNOW that guy sitting in safety who didn't fire  single shot to help me will THEN fire a volley to finish him off.

It works in COOP because most bots do not even bother with you until you engage them.

People will say its a myth but just go try it yourself..   You can camp a entire round and wait out of focus range for single shot kills to your hearts content.  THAT is where people scream the most about stealing kills. This is a fact and anyone who tells you it never happens either is a offender,  never plays COOP , especially during events , or they are just lying to you.

The MOST fun are the rammers in COOP that cant hit anything so they yolo and ram the ship with the biggest HP and off to the next round to do it again. Some will brag bout it in chat.  No shame here.

In OPS and Randoms FIRE AWAY!! Help the team. I've had my [edited]saved MANY times by teammates helping me kill someone who was kicking my [edited]!!

Col Out

Edited by Col_Nasty

Members
1,072 posts
13 hours ago, Murcc said:

Always take the kill shot.  You just never know what might happen if you don't secure the kill.

Exactly.  If even I just fired, I might miss.  Better clean up after me.  I would after you, just in case.  Dead ships do no more damage; well at least not past the shells in the air, and the torpedoes in the water already.