Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

What was the largest discount for T8 premiums in the tech tree? Answer: 30%

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts

Update: For Black Friday 2017, 30% off doubloon discounts were offered for tier 7 and tier 8 premiums in the tech-tree.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/jive-turkeys/

If I appear ungrateful, I am not. Inflation, in-real life and in-game, is a very real thing. I don't expect 2017 prices to be 2019 prices.


Old post below:

Next patch will introduce a 25% off coupon for premium ships in the armory (including those purchasable for doubloons). The ships in the armory contain port slots which some may, or many not, want. This is factored into the pricing (e.g. 300 doubloons more expensive than the tech-tree price).

Out of curiosity, what was the (all-time) largest discount for T8 premiums in the tech tree? I think there was a 30% discount, but this may have ended at tier VII.

(Purchasing port slots for 25% off is not the best use for doubloons as port slots have routinely been on sale for 50% and 75% off.)

Supporting news articles are highly appreciated and I will compliment all information. Thank you all!

 

Edited by henrychenhenry
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[EQRN]
Members
2,299 posts
21,445 battles

Typically 50% to T5, 35% T6 and 7, 15% T8-10, so the coupon is a good deal, if there is a T8 you really want.  Discount on doubloon ships have typically been Christmas (and maybe anniversary?).  Also keep in mind, doubloon ships = no port slot and no commander.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
8 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Typically 50% to T5, 35% T6 and 7, 15% T8-10, so the coupon is a good deal, if there is a T8 you really want.  Discount on doubloon ships have typically been Christmas (and maybe anniversary?).  Also keep in mind, doubloon ships = no port slot and no commander.

I sort of agree with this.

I know that tech tree ships T8-T10 have been 15% off. I am unsure if WG has been generous the one time and given a 30% off for premium T8s. (I do not expect it to happen again, if it ever happened.)

Do you have a source for the 35% for T6 and T7? I feel like they have seen 50% off before.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[EQRN]
Members
2,299 posts
21,445 battles
2 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

I sort of agree with this.

I know that tech tree ships T8-T10 have been 15% off. I am unsure if WG has been generous the one time and given a 30% off for premium T8s. (I do not expect it to happen again, if it ever happened.)

Do you have a source for the 35% for T6 and T7? I feel like they have seen 50% off before.

Thanks!

There was a 30% coupon way back when for the Tirpitz, Atago and Kutuzov only.  And that's when I got my Kutuzov.  They messed up the promotion somehow and gifted 30 days premium for those that bought the package the day it dropped (now that was customer service!)

As for the 35% for T6-7, you'd have to find the last sale they had, it would have been several months ago, I have never seen them at 50%, tech tree or premium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Yeah, $1 for cossack if you grinded for the event

30% and 100% if you count the recent summer sale.

Where buying the three pack costed $78, so you're paying full price for one ship and 26 for the second while the third came free.

Or a stand alone TVIII which was 30% at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
Just now, FrodoFraggin said:

There was a 30% coupon way back when for the Tirpitz, Atago and Kutuzov only.  And that's when I got my Kutuzov.  They messed up the promotion somehow and gifted 30 days premium for those that bought the package the day it dropped (now that was customer service!)

As for the 35% for T6-7, you'd have to find the last sale they had, it would have been several months ago, I have never seen them at 50%, tech tree or premium.

Interesting!

I will continue to look at old promotions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
1 minute ago, Yoshiblue said:

Yeah, $1 for cossack if you grinded for the event

30% and 100% if you count the recent summer sale.

Where buying the three pack costed $78, so you're paying full price for one ship and 26 for the second while the third came free.

Or a stand alone TVIII which was 30% at the time. 

Thanks for sharing!

I am only referring to purchasing premium ships directly with doubloons for this thread.

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,151
[A-I-M]
Members
4,093 posts
15,348 battles
16 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

As for the 35% for T6-7, you'd have to find the last sale they had, it would have been several months ago, I have never seen them at 50%, tech tree or premium.

It was actually 30% for those tier ships. Christmas sales are when they get that discount.

23 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Do you have a source for the 35% for T6 and T7? I feel like they have seen 50% off before.

Might be hard to get source info now: In recent months, WG has taken to pulling the sale prices out of their discount announcements once those discounts expire, and replacing them with a gray “Offer closed” box.

It may be possible to dig up the announcement about percentage discounts in the tech tree and still see those percentages, but WG gas been making it difficult to compare past prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

It was actually 30% for those tier ships. Christmas sales are when they get that discount.

Might be hard to get source info now: In recent months, WG has taken to pulling the sale prices out of their discount announcements once those discounts expire, and replacing them with a gray “Offer closed” box.

It may be possible to dig up the announcement about percentage discounts in the tech tree and still see those percentages, but WG gas been making it difficult to compare past prices.

30% makes a lot more sense! (nicer number)

And you are right it might be harder to get info now. I have not found anything yet.

Thanks for the reply!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,239
[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

30% makes a lot more sense! (nicer number)

And you are right it might be harder to get info now. I have not found anything yet.

Thanks for the reply!

I can assure you that past Christmas all tech tree tier VIII premiums were on 30% discount; I bought Atago that way. 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I can assure you that past Christmas all tech tree tier VIII premiums were on 30% discount; I bought Atago that way. 

 

Thanks for confirming!

Looks like Christmas discounts went down a bit (25% off for 1 ship, but must get port slot with it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,239
[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles
Just now, henrychenhenry said:

Thanks for confirming!

Looks like Christmas discounts went down a bit (25% off for 1 ship, but must get port slot with it).

The way I see it, provided these coupons are offered as often as the coal ones (once about every six months) would be satisfactory. Still, I would appreciate having just the ship and not port slot/Commander, or as a put it on a thread a while ago, just the burger, not the menu/combo deal :Smile_teethhappy:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
Just now, warheart1992 said:

The way I see it, provided these coupons are offered as often as the coal ones (once about every six months) would be satisfactory. Still, I would appreciate having just the ship and not port slot/Commander, or as a put it on a thread a while ago, just the burger, not the menu/combo deal :Smile_teethhappy:.

True.

From the patch notes, seems like a one-time thing for the anniversary. Maybe this will be a yearly thing from now on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,239
[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles
5 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

True.

From the patch notes, seems like a one-time thing for the anniversary. Maybe this will be a yearly thing from now on?

Let's hope it happens semi often. Still wondering whether during Christmas holidays we will get a tech tree discount or just a coupon refresh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
5 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Let's hope it happens semi often. Still wondering whether during Christmas holidays we will get a tech tree discount or just a coupon refresh.

Yeah, let's hope so.

By the way, they reduced the number of ships in the Tech Tree to make "it look neat and tidy in light of the user interface improvements that were introduced in Update 0.8.7."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,807
[CYNIC]
Members
3,090 posts
8,742 battles
5 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Discount on doubloon ships have typically been Christmas (and maybe anniversary?).  Also keep in mind, doubloon ships = no port slot and no commander.

Armory Doub ships (where the coupon works) does include slot and commander...
image.thumb.png.409b041cc9d86ba34f411f9f55a13d47.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,351 posts
26,764 battles
5 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Typically 50% to T5, 35% T6 and 7, 15% T8-10, so the coupon is a good deal, if there is a T8 you really want.  Discount on doubloon ships have typically been Christmas (and maybe anniversary?).  Also keep in mind, doubloon ships = no port slot and no commander.

Not sure about their anniversary, I don't remember, but the discounts you posted have been done around Christmas. Trying to remember if they start around Thanksgiving, again, my memory fails me. 

I made out like a bandit the second Christmas I was here. I had a crapload of discounted doubloons I got for buying some specials (when you got full doubloons for buying a ship you had) and I went shopping off the tech tree for discounted ships. Seems I did something similar the third year using Halloween doubloons I had. They were fun times! 

Now that I think about it more, seems the Thanksgiving specials are different and the Christmas sales start close to the holiday and extend into the New Year....... 

Edited by Taylor3006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,151
[A-I-M]
Members
4,093 posts
15,348 battles
3 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

True.

From the patch notes, seems like a one-time thing for the anniversary. Maybe this will be a yearly thing from now on?

We should be able to tell when the server comes back up after the update: Each coupon presently have a statement to the effect of: “Coupon renews on 25/09/2019” or whatever the specific coupon type’s renewal date is.

What it says there about the ship doubloon discount coupon should tell us what we need to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,566
[ARGSY]
Members
25,533 posts
19,680 battles
6 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I have never seen them at 50%

You buy them in the August sale, if they are offered at that price, to get the T5-7 at that discount.

I got Scharnhorst last year and Perth, Mutsu and Krasny Krym this year.

For coupons, though? No, never that much. But that's because you choose the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[EQRN]
Members
2,299 posts
21,445 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Not sure about their anniversary, I don't remember, but the discounts you posted have been done around Christmas. Trying to remember if they start around Thanksgiving, again, my memory fails me. 

I made out like a bandit the second Christmas I was here. I had a crapload of discounted doubloons I got for buying some specials (when you got full doubloons for buying a ship you had) and I went shopping off the tech tree for discounted ships. Seems I did something similar the third year using Halloween doubloons I had. They were fun times! 

Now that I think about it more, seems the Thanksgiving specials are different and the Christmas sales start close to the holiday and extend into the New Year....... 

I think Thanksgiving discounts were for the US tech tree only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,351 posts
26,764 battles
49 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I think Thanksgiving discounts were for the US tech tree only.

It is possible, don't remember that. Just remember the Thanksgiving stuff was pretty underwhelming including their Black Friday sales. Least last year anyways, my first year they were really good. Don't remember my second year...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts

Can a developer help answer this question? @Bualar @Umbaretz

Thanks all!

I contacted CS (bold mine):

"Unfortunately, such information cannot be provided.

You are free to ask our developers on the forum regarding such discounts.

I hope you understand our limitations and that you will keep enjoying the game."

Edited by henrychenhenry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts

I want to answer this question:

There have been 30% off doubloon discounts for tier 8 premium ships in the tech tree.

Source: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/jive-turkeys/

For 2017 anniversary, it was 15% off. (See here.) 

Yes, I spent a lot of time searching. So, I want to let you guys know as well.

As the new method of awarding 25% off coupons is bi-annual and allows a discounted purchase at any time within half-a-year, the new method is much more flexible.

Edited by henrychenhenry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
288 posts
7,282 battles

30% coupon for dubs + 25% coupon on Arsenal ships = $18 for Lenin. Cheapest I have ever paid for a tier 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×