Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

What ship is this?

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

703
[NGA]
Members
2,010 posts
12,594 battles
Just now, henrychenhenry said:

70301830_2419233731492975_2132210714230652928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQkr6ZpygoR3Qr4ZVGe4F_oswzBtH7DB1yJ8XQ2rdJ6Yn9UHFIZ50uUVUFCf5N3Llg0&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=77c6eff1ff30a38530777e25cc52a28d&oe=5E032D09

Looks like a Mahan, but I'm not sure. And if it is a Mahan, what is it doing there? How does it fit the theme?

Well... That's certainly something. And the last thing I want really want to think about when playing this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
703
[NGA]
Members
2,010 posts
12,594 battles
Just now, Halli_SPARTA said:

Then.  Why the heck would you even say Anything ...Bonehead!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

To compliment it. It represents a well-done piece of artwork. Sure I really don't want to think about the stuff Stephen King writes (bit to creepy for my tastes), but this was fairly well done.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
839
[USN]
Members
1,747 posts
21,972 battles
4 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

How do you identify the ship?

I can tell form the back of the superstructure it looks like a mid 30's US DD, in game represented by Farragut, Mahan, and Benham.

where the 3rd turret should be are 2x2 40mm bofors nests, Benham doesn't have those, so Benham is ruled out.

the placement of those guns is aft of the funnels, and its where Mahan's third turret is, and since Farragut's third turret is between the funnels, so Farragut is ruled out.

by that, my answer is C-hull Mahan.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
3 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

I can tell form the back of the superstructure it looks like a mid 30's US DD, in game represented by Farragut, Mahan, and Benham.

where the 3rd turret should be are 2x2 40mm bofors nests, Benham doesn't have those, so Benham is ruled out.

the placement of those guns is aft of the funnels, and its where Mahan's third turret is, and since Farragut's third turret is between the funnels, so Farragut is ruled out.

by that, my answer is C-hull Mahan.

Thanks a lot for the detail!

@Kuckoo Would you agree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,097
[WORX]
Members
14,296 posts
20,867 battles
7 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

How do you identify the ship?

I am trying to find a pic of the fantail of the ships in question to see if I can tell by the depth charge rack placement... I am not sold on a conclusion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,198
[SYN]
Members
5,879 posts
13,316 battles
37 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Thanks a lot for the detail!

@Kuckoo Would you agree?

No.

The structure of the main mast in relation to the funnel height, and the extensions just aft of the two depth charge racks are dead giveaways.  Also, no sign of the flank torpedo launchers of the Mahan.

It's a Farragut.

Edited by Kuckoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,361
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

I tend to agree, it looks more like it may be Farragut. Which would also fit the theme better - as I recall that camo for the ship replacing Pennywise is a tier 8 CV camo maybe, looks like it could be Shokaku's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
851
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

That's a Templar fighter used by carriers.

Edited by grumpymunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,108
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,597 battles

It'sthe new tier 10 IJN premium DD, the Bendyu Ova. Don't even ask the price.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

No.

The structure of the main mast in relation to the funnel height, and the extensions just aft of the two depth charge racks are dead giveaways.  Also, no sign of the flank torpedo launchers of the Mahan.

It's a Farragut.

OK, thanks!

Could you take a screenshot of the Farragut from a similar angle? (to compare to the drawing.) I am having a hard time visualizing the Farragut and Mahan in-game. (I literally cannot see any detail directly stern-on. Seems like a shadow is obscuring the detail.)

Thanks!

Edited by henrychenhenry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
40 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

I tend to agree, it looks more like it may be Farragut. Which would also fit the theme better - as I recall that camo for the ship replacing Pennywise is a tier 8 CV camo maybe, looks like it could be Shokaku's. 

I don't understand most of what you typed. What theme are you talking about? What camo? What is Pennywise?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
739 posts
7,780 battles
19 minutes ago, Umikami said:

It'sthe new tier 10 IJN premium DD, the Bendyu Ova. Don't even ask the price.

This is funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,361
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

I don't understand most of what you typed. What theme are you talking about? What camo? What is Pennywise?

Thanks!

61bMkkwpduL._SY741_.jpg

 

This is what the picture is based on. The clown's name is 'Pennywise'. If you look above the yellow ship, you'll see a monster-y looking face, which plays further in to the movie but won't give any spoilers. That face comes off a Halloween camo - pretty sure the camo for Shokaku. When you consider it's a tier 8 carrier, vs a T6 DD - it kinda fits because it is kinda like the movie monster terrorizing the victim, especially with how Pennywise tends to operate. Half surprised they didn't change the line to 'You'll sink too". Hopefully that clears it up, if not I'll try and explain whatever I failed at better in the next one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,395 posts
16,158 battles
3 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

70301830_2419233731492975_2132210714230652928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQkr6ZpygoR3Qr4ZVGe4F_oswzBtH7DB1yJ8XQ2rdJ6Yn9UHFIZ50uUVUFCf5N3Llg0&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=77c6eff1ff30a38530777e25cc52a28d&oe=5E032D09

Looks like a Mahan, but I'm not sure. And if it is a Mahan, what is it doing there? How does it fit the theme?

Great Job, I got the first time and have never seen the movie because the book scared the bejesus out of me, just as the Stand did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
24 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

This is what the picture is based on. The clown's name is 'Pennywise'. If you look above the yellow ship, you'll see a monster-y looking face, which plays further in to the movie but won't give any spoilers. That face comes off a Halloween camo - pretty sure the camo for Shokaku. When you consider it's a tier 8 carrier, vs a T6 DD - it kinda fits because it is kinda like the movie monster terrorizing the victim, especially with how Pennywise tends to operate. Half surprised they didn't change the line to 'You'll sink too". Hopefully that clears it up, if not I'll try and explain whatever I failed at better in the next one.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I understood the "monster-y looking face" in the original image (Great Gorgon from Halloween events).

Now the image actually makes sense!

Would any ship have fit? I don't think we actually have that specific yellow camo. The back-2-school camo looks less bright. Is this true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,361
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

Would any ship have fit? I don't think we actually have that specific yellow camo. The back-2-school camo looks less bright. Is this true?

Other ships could have fit, a DD in general I think is the best obvious choice due to AA (or lack there of), as well as the fact they are generally pretty small. Tier 6 DD further sense - as they can see each other in matchmaking. 

It is the back to school camo - part of it is lighting and possibly the 'fog' in game (some mods remove this - I tend to use them when available through Wargaming's mod pack because as it is I see fewer colours than normal and the fog makes it that much worse blurring them). It's also a matter of where the light is positioned - your unlikely to duplicate it much in game because if you look at the picture - the light source is closer to the ship than any port or the like - though in port you can see smaller areas that reflect brighter that are closer to that yellow if you have it. It's like putting a flashlight  4 feet vs 4 inches from an object - it'll seem 'brighter' when it's closer When you look at the areas that are being lit, but not directly by the source - like the top of that structure that's almost turret like, or the middle of the stern to the left a bit - that's the same colour you'll basically see in game - which is the natural colour of back to school. 

That said as noted - I have issues with seeing the full colour range. To me - the colours look the same other than the heavily lighted and shadowed sides - but it could be that the standard colour of the ship pictured and B2S are actually slightly different but a range I can't differentiate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×