You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

Naval Battles is Broken - needs a rethink on awards.

23 comments in this topic

[RAN]
Members
859 posts
10,672 battles

can someone please explain naval battles and the bar system as I see myself winning 4 out of 5 games in different ships but only getting 1 star,

wth

If they are going to judge the winners and the loosers by how many ribbons you get in game well thats just stupid.  

Because  you can be a very strategic player  and help  your team a lot to victory by different decisions that dont involve "Winning Ribbons"  and do a lot of damage to ships allowing others to get the easy kill on  your hard work and  you miss the kill ribbon but put 90% of the damage into a Battleship for  instance, and other things as well.

Think harder WG, as of now Naval Battles is broken.!!!!!

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 8

[OOD]
Members
1 post
5,167 battles

dont know how accurate this is but it looks like its based off of your individual performance. so if the bar is 30, you need 30 ribbons in a battle to hit that bar. 

• Cool 1

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
28,089 battles

Ribbons gives you the chance to play co op and contribute to the Naval battles.

Base XP forces you more or less to play randoms/ranked after the 300 points. 

Just use some high RoF ships or BB with secondaries and don't die within the first three minutes.

My best result was 600 ribbons with the Harugumo.

• Cool 1

[RAN]
Members
859 posts
10,672 battles

well last game i played i was second on the team board, sank a ship, shot down 4 planes , defended the base from 2 destroyers and a BB, got 1175 points  and the team went to victory but no cigar

most people can get 30 ribbons,   but 75 ribbons is pretty hard to get .. I guess they are trying to force you to keep using different ships to get the 30 ribbons

Edited by DevilD0g

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,780 posts
24,954 battles

The objective is earning ribbons (or XP or damage). You need to use a ship that helps you meet that objective. There is nothing in the description that says you have to win as well. WG knows that the majority of the players are 50%'ers so they set the objective on something other than winning but is achievable by the majority of players.

It does kinda suck 'cause if you are out there to win it and someone is yolo'ing for ribbons then your team is at a disadvantage from the start.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,533 posts
19,680 battles
35 minutes ago, Khafni said:

It does kinda suck 'cause if you are out there to win it and someone is yolo'ing for ribbons then your team is at a disadvantage from the start.

That's why they allow it in co-op, so you can go do it someplace where high-risk behaviour isn't punished quite as severely.

Of course doing that requires "being forced to play different ships" (oh the horror of being a BB main forced to play in a high-ROF cruiser or a destroyer) and "being forced to play co-op" (which some regard as being beneath their dignity) for the good of your clan, but some people clearly can't see beyond their own selfish agendas.

• Cool 8

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
28,089 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's why they allow it in co-op, so you can go do it someplace where high-risk behaviour isn't punished quite as severely.

Of course doing that requires "being forced to play different ships" (oh the horror of being a BB main forced to play in a high-ROF cruiser or a destroyer) and "being forced to play co-op" (which some regard as being beneath their dignity) for the good of your clan, but some people clearly can't see beyond their own selfish agendas.

BTW, gratz and thx for getting 10/10!

Same goes for the twitch mission I got yesterday: be one of the top 4 players for 4 times (and yes, it earned 44444 credits, 4 twitch camos and 4444 eliteXP). Done within 25 minutes in co op. While it isn't XP or credit efficient, co op get stuff done fast.

[WMD]
Members
1,963 posts
11,244 battles
1 hour ago, DevilD0g said:

can someone please explain naval battles and the bar system as I see myself winning 4 out of 5 games in different ships but only getting 1 star,

wth

If they are going to judge the winners and the loosers by how many ribbons you get in game well thats just stupid.  

Because  you can be a very strategic player  and help  your team a lot to victory by different decisions that dont involve "Winning Ribbons"  and do a lot of damage to ships allowing others to get the easy kill on  your hard work and  you miss the kill ribbon but put 90% of the damage into a Battleship for  instance, and other things as well.

Naval battles is an objective based competition. Don't blame the system because you 1) Failed to understand the objective. 2) Think achieving the objectives is beneath you. 

The system exists in it's current state to allow all players to contribute to the clan. 

• Cool 3

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
10 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

can someone please explain naval battles and the bar system as I see myself winning 4 out of 5 games in different ships but only getting 1 star.

(Snip the whining)

Next time stop at “can someone explain it to me” and knock of the insolence. 

It’s been explained a few times now... I think it’s your turn to think harder. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,780 posts
24,954 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Thanks for that reminder but I wasn't thinking Co-op with that statement. Of course, that wasn't clear. You are correct and +1.

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles

I don‘t quite see the problem. On the contrary, this requirement encourages me to play a few Coop rounds in Tirpitz which are very refreshing.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,564 posts
12,998 battles

I think it’s fun they give you different ways to achieve the goal or get stars .They change it up every few weeks keeping it fresh . It’s a low key way to contribute to your clan no stress you just hit enable and play your game . Then if you win the clan gets oil and even if you lose the clan gets oil. I really don’t know what your crying about ! 

[B_Y_F]
Members
713 posts
16,489 battles

Ribbons base bar benefit smaller clan because 30 is easy at coop.

But it's definitely annoying if your clan usually go to the third bar, in some line 125 Robbins is nearly mission impossible(IJN torp DD) but to others are trivial (IJN gun boat).

[ARGSY]
Members
25,533 posts
19,680 battles
46 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Ribbons are a really stupid way of earning stars. Damage and base xp makes a lot more sense.

Is this because you don't want junior players or co-op clans to have a fighting chance? Just asking.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
861 posts
33,771 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Is this because you don't want junior players or co-op clans to have a fighting chance? Just asking.

Nope, it's because he's a BB main and can't score very many ribbons. Of course he could play a different class ship, but that might be to difficult.

[GWG]
Members
7,776 posts
14,921 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'd never go 'ROCKETS ONLY' on a Random match with my CV...   That's about an instant loss.

But that's the only way to get an insane # of ribbons with a CV.

You may think Damage or Base XP, but hell...  I wouldn't care if they make it 'DISTANCE SAILED'..   Hey..  It's a game.

Haw about a bar for 'Spotting Damage' ...  Ouch..  That would hurt if the rest of the team ignored your 'F3' button.

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
1 hour ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Ribbons are a really stupid way of earning stars. Damage and base xp makes a lot more sense.

52 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

Nope, it's because he's a BB main and can't score very many ribbons. Of course he could play a different class ship, but that might be to difficult.

And that's why they change it up every couple of weeks... 

And if you only achieve low end ribbons for BBs in any nation then knock yourself out. If you can't get 30 ribbons in a BB then you're doing it wrong... 

And if all you want to play is one ship type in one nation and you're still feeling like WG owes you something- I suggest you just knock yourself out. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,145 posts
26,918 battles

You'll have to branch out eventually from your favored ship as the bar raises requiring more and more Ribbons to complete it.  Eventually it can get into some very high Ribbon requirements to clear the bar.  You only have 10 attempts.

I also imagine that if you have even a fairly active clan, those bars can be raised substantially, especially certain lines with well known, fast shooting ships.  This is even worse if you jumped into Naval Battles late and guys who did this early got all the easy stuff like 75 ribbons to clear a bar, and claim a star for the clan.  Jump in late and you'll have crazier requirements.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
1 hour ago, admiralsexybeast said:

I disagree that base XP makes more sense. 

Base XP, at least above the minimum level, becomes increasingly team dependent because you get to a point where you really have to win to earn enough BXP to exceed the required numbers.  Base XP is very bad for coop players because all but the minimum BXP levels are nearly unreachable.  From some recent experience, I've learned that while it's possible to break 1k BXP in coop, it pretty much requires you to have a team with no more than 2 live players and have some luck that your friendly bots lose their engagements to the enemy bots, so that you can largely end up fighting the entire bot team.  (Also, it's best if you're in a top tier BB, preferably a secondary build BB, though others can work as well.)  An upside to BXP is that you have to be productive to produce a good BXP, but the downside is that you really need to win to exceed the higher BXP thresholds (and that requires help from your team).

Damage is probably the best of the bunch because it doesn't punish high alpha/low RoF ships like BBs and most heavy cruisers, and stealthy torp boat DDs.  Damage is damage whether it's done in large chunks or in small ones.    Damage is also good because you don't need much help from your team beyond perhaps some spotting and that they're good enough to not get massacred and get the mercy rule invoked before you'd had enough time to do your damage.  And of course, some could argue that the damage metric encourages selfish play.  But generally, if you're doing good, productive damage to the enemy team, I'm not going to complain much since you're contributing.  

Ribbons favor high RoF ships like CLs and gunboat DDs, as well as BBs with strong secondary builds.   Also, for CV players, in my limited experience playing CVs in ribbon based Naval Battles, you're better off using rocket planes over torpedo bombers or dive/carpet bombers.  And if given a choice, you're better off using lighter, but more numerous rockets over larger but less numerous ones, for the simple reason that the more rockets you fire (per plane) at a target, the more hits and the more ribbons you can get.  And generally, you're better off firing those rockets at larger targets, as DDs can be harder to hit than cruisers or BBs.  On a side note, one of the things I don't like about ribbons as a goal of NBs is that ribbons don't care if your gun hits do any damage.  All guns hits generate ribbons, whether they penetrate, overpen, ricochet, or do not damage on a torp bulge hit.  You can sit there in your pew-pew gunboat DD landing dozens of hits but scoring no damage, and still rack up ribbons, whereas if you were playing NBs when damage was the metric, you'd stop firing at that target on which you were doing no damage and either switch ammo or switch targets, or whatever.  The damage metric requires you to be productive.  Ribbons, OTOH, may only create the illusion of productivity at times.

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
19 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I'd never go 'ROCKETS ONLY' on a Random match with my CV...   That's about an instant loss.

But that's the only way to get an insane # of ribbons with a CV.

You may think Damage or Base XP, but hell...  I wouldn't care if they make it 'DISTANCE SAILED'..   Hey..  It's a game.

Haw about a bar for 'Spotting Damage' ...  Ouch..  That would hurt if the rest of the team ignored your 'F3' button.

This is exactly correct, AVR.  Agree 100%.  And a caveat is that for USN CVs, HVARS rockets are better to use than Tiny Tims for ribbons.  More rockets per plane mean more hits and thus more ribbons.

Rockets are like DD grade shells, whereas torpedoes and dive bombs are closer to BB or CA grade shells.  That is, more numerous but less damaging per hit versus less numerous but more damaging per hit.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,145 posts
26,918 battles
17 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This is exactly correct, AVR.  Agree 100%.  And a caveat is that for USN CVs, HVARS rockets are better to use than Tiny Tims for ribbons.  More rockets per plane mean more hits and thus more ribbons.

Rockets are like DD grade shells, whereas torpedoes and dive bombs are closer to BB or CA grade shells.  That is, more numerous but less damaging per hit versus less numerous but more damaging per hit.

For max rockets in general, USN HVAR definitely way to go.  One that needs mention is Audacious.  She has max 42 rockets in an attack which is quite substantial.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you are going for ribbons in random you have to play to win because risky behavior in randoms is punished forthwith. My go to for ribbons just became the Smolensk which has only seen co-op and may never see a random, I suck at island hugging and never seem to find the right distance away that still protects me except for the low islands that can hide a ship.