You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Poidachi

I have returned after 4 years for the release of Yuudachi

103 comments in this topic

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles

Today is truly a beautiful day. I'm a former Club WG member, Supertester, and open beta tester. Tons of PT work as well. Missed this game, and my old friends. 

But seriously, I've been waiting almost half a decade for this day, and I'm very happy it finally came. 

For anyone who remembers me, hi! For anyone else, why hello there, I'm pretty much the biggest fan of Poi you will ever meet, the pleasure's all mine. 

I was a classic Destroyer player, and wrote a few guides back in the day(the images are broken due to age):
-How 2 Destroyer

-How AP and HE work

-Braincage and AlsoRobots Sings Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" (It's just as good as you'd imagine)

And yes, I've probably heard the word "Poi" way more than anyone on this planet now. 

• Cool 5
  • Boring 6

[VFW]
Members
1,532 posts
32,821 battles

Well, you're going to have a rude shock if you've been out that long.  Good Luck.

• Funny 1

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
1 minute ago, TexJapan said:

Well, you're going to have a rude shock if you've been out that long.  Good Luck.

A lot has probably changed, but the core aspects should still be there. Thanks for the concern.

• Funny 5

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles
15 minutes ago, Poidachi said:

Today is truly a beautiful day. I'm a former Club WG member, Supertester, and open beta tester. Tons of PT work as well. Missed this game, and my old friends. 

But seriously, I've been waiting almost half a decade for this day, and I'm very happy it finally came. 

For anyone who remembers me, hi! For anyone else, why hello there, I'm pretty much the biggest fan of Poi you will ever meet, the pleasure's all mine. 

I was a classic Destroyer player, and wrote a few guides back in the day(the images are broken due to age):
-How 2 Destroyer

-How AP and HE work

-Braincage and AlsoRobots Sings Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" (It's just as good as you'd imagine)

And yes, I've probably heard the word "Poi" way more than anyone on this planet now. 

Welcome back Poi !

:Smile_honoring:

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
5 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

Welcome back Poi !

:Smile_honoring:

It's really been too long. I should check up on some old friends here, if they're still here.

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
2 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

From things I have heard about this ship, Im not sure it was worth waiting for...

It might generally be negative, but you have no idea how long I've been waiting for this. I remember my first suggestion thread in 2015. 

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,719 posts
7,321 battles

Hope you enjoy the ship, lots has changed in the game, some for the good, some for the worse.

Also if you haven't played yet, you can use referral codes to get Warspite and Diana Lima for free.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles
14 minutes ago, Poidachi said:

A lot has probably changed, but the core aspects should still be there. Thanks for the concern.

Uh, don't bet on it.

CVs, different is an understatement, completely new mechanics.

If you thought T8 premiums were bad, boy are you in for a surprise. We have a new T9 or 10 premium once a month now, and if we're lucky it's only slightly OP.

You should look up IFHE. And the captain skills have been reworked twice now.

Gun bloom detection is way different, both open water and smokescreens.

Showing broadside in certain nations will not get you deleted now.

And secondaries are actually dangerous on German, French, and certain US BBs now. Also the only German CV (yes, seriously, GZ secondaries are vicious).

That said, people still complain about DDs with Romulan cloaking devices, BB drivers who don't know where the W key is, and cruisers with flamethrowers. Some things never change.

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

Uh, don't bet on it.

CVs, different is an understatement, completely new mechanics.

If you thought T8 premiums were bad, boy are you in for a surprise. We have a new T9 or 10 premium once a month now, and if we're lucky it's only slightly OP.

You should look up IFHE. And the captain skills have been reworked twice now.

Gun bloom detection is way different, both open water and smokescreens.

Showing broadside in certain nations will not get you deleted now.

And secondaries are actually dangerous on German, French, and certain US BBs now. Also the only German CV (yes, seriously, GZ secondaries are vicious).

That said, people still complain about DDs with Romulan cloaking devices, BB drivers who don't know where the W key is, and cruisers with flamethrowers. Some things never change.

Oh yeah, CVs used to be extremely powerful though, so a rework was likely going to happen. The uh premium 10 and 9's... Uh... Yikes. Haven't heard that one. I've seen the captain skills about a year ago, and they seemed pretty interesting. The broadside thing is pretty normal. I assume Yamato's still as dangerous as ever. Also, could you define what "gun bloom" is?

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles

This old gif still applies as BBs still do the same dumb things:

Image result for world of warships straight lines gif

The mechanics have changed drastically in 5 years, but dumb sailing is still a thing by your preferred prey of your DD.  Hope it works out.

5 minutes ago, Poidachi said:

Oh yeah, CVs used to be extremely powerful though, so a rework was likely going to happen. The uh premium 10 and 9's... Uh... Yikes. Haven't heard that one. I've seen the captain skills about a year ago, and they seemed pretty interesting. The broadside thing is pretty normal. I assume Yamato's still as dangerous as ever. Also, could you define what "gun bloom" is?

Back in the days when you last played, there was Stealth Fire.  Depending on the ship, guns, build, if you fired at a sufficiently long enough range, you weren't detected and showing on the map, etc.

I know a lot of DDs back in 2015 used to max out their gun range so they could Stealth Fire.  I know friends who did IJN DDs and did the same thing to supplement their damage numbers as torpedoes could be unreliable in getting hits, damage.  But the change in Gun Bloom, i.e. removal of Stealth Fire, was a significant change.  Now, the moment you fire your guns and the enemy has LOS, you will be detected out to your max gun range as the "Gun Bloom" blossoms your detection out that far.

This had a significant impact on DDs and Cruisers.  Even in a say, a fight between 2 DDs, one DD kills the other.  In the old days, if nothing else was in that old Stealth Fire window, the DD would drop out of detection immediately.  Today, that doesn't happen, your detection blossoms out to max range.  DDs got more skittish about using their guns even against each other.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 2

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This old gif still applies as BBs still do the same dumb things:

Image result for world of warships straight lines gif

The mechanics have changed drastically in 5 years, but dumb sailing is still a thing by your preferred prey of your DD.  Hope it works out.

Yeah, I can adapt. I'll write a new guide or two if I find something that works. I mean, as long as I enjoy it, it's fine really.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles
2 minutes ago, Poidachi said:

Yeah, captain skills are a lot more interesting now, that change was definitely a good one.

Yammy, yeah, don't do anything dumb in front of one if you want to keep on living. It still overmatches everything (though I believe a few new ships have 50mm plating that makes it very hard to cit through the nose, though not impossible). The 460s are still the biggest in the game, though a few ship now have 457s. The accuracy is still excellent, and there's now a legendary upgrade that can make it better. However, it also still has a very high citadel with odd angles. So it's still very dangerous, but IMO other ships have started to close the gap. 

Gun bloom is the detection range increase when you fire your guns. I don't know how much you kept in touch, but used to be they bloomed out to a certain distance, which was often less than the firing range. This allowed some ships to stealth fire in open water. That was changed a while back so that detection after firing main guns is always the firing range. No more stealth in open water, some of the gunboat DD players still haven't recovered fully.

Also, firing guns in smoke now increases your detection range, though not as much, and it depends on the gun caliber. So DDs and CLs only bloom to 3-5km, while BBs have 15km bloom in smoke. Basically large ships can no longer sit in smoke and shoot undetected.

Also, especially important for DD, the German cruisers and T9 and 10 BBs have hydro with a 6km range. Don't try and smoke up in that range. German DDs also have hydro, though only around 5km range. And a final note, the T9 USN premium BB Missouri is an Iowa class BB, but with radar. A lot of people don't know that, it's hilarious when some tries to smoke up, only to be lit up and killed by a BB. So just an heads up.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the game after being gone so long. It's changed slowly for us (I think you left about the time I started playing), I'm curious to see how much it has changed.

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
965 posts
10,973 battles
28 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Also, especially important for DD, the German cruisers and T9 and 10 BBs have hydro with a 6km range. Don't try and smoke up in that range. German DDs also have hydro, though only around 5km range. 

Z52 is able to detect ships with hydro at 5.9 km. 

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
18 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah, captain skills are a lot more interesting now, that change was definitely a good one.

Yammy, yeah, don't do anything dumb in front of one if you want to keep on living. It still overmatches everything (though I believe a few new ships have 50mm plating that makes it very hard to cit through the nose, though not impossible). The 460s are still the biggest in the game, though a few ship now have 457s. The accuracy is still excellent, and there's now a legendary upgrade that can make it better. However, it also still has a very high citadel with odd angles. So it's still very dangerous, but IMO other ships have started to close the gap. 

Gun bloom is the detection range increase when you fire your guns. I don't know how much you kept in touch, but used to be they bloomed out to a certain distance, which was often less than the firing range. This allowed some ships to stealth fire in open water. That was changed a while back so that detection after firing main guns is always the firing range. No more stealth in open water, some of the gunboat DD players still haven't recovered fully.

Also, firing guns in smoke now increases your detection range, though not as much, and it depends on the gun caliber. So DDs and CLs only bloom to 3-5km, while BBs have 15km bloom in smoke. Basically large ships can no longer sit in smoke and shoot undetected.

Also, especially important for DD, the German cruisers and T9 and 10 BBs have hydro with a 6km range. Don't try and smoke up in that range. German DDs also have hydro, though only around 5km range. And a final note, the T9 USN premium BB Missouri is an Iowa class BB, but with radar. A lot of people don't know that, it's hilarious when some tries to smoke up, only to be lit up and killed by a BB. So just an heads up.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the game after being gone so long. It's changed slowly for us (I think you left about the time I started playing), I'm curious to see how much it has changed.

Gun bloom was a necessary change. Honestly, it was one of the most frustrating things to have flamethrower CA/CLs just sitting in smoke lobbing constant fire without any means to fight back. 

Gunboat DDs had it coming. It's no real surprise. It's the same deal with CA/CLs. Constant damage and no method of retaliation is *not fun* as a game mechanic. It doesn't affect me much because I'm an IJN DD player, so I rely on torpedoes and pissing people off at chokes. 

Hydro is a type of sonar, I presume. As a DD you shouldn't even be going near CA/CLs. If you've been doing that, that's a surefire way to die. Suicidal DD plays aren't a very consistent way to play anyways. 

It looks like these changes don't really affect me all that much. A lot of people play DD as a "ninja" class, but it's more of a support class. I've always used to tell people that smoke should be used to help cover your carrier or BBs if they're in a tight spot, and not to camp somewhere and lob stuff at people. Not much really has changed. 

Torpedoes aren't always about hitting people directly, but could be used to force broadsides and help teammates escape if needed. Need to get out of the offensive mindset and think about teammates first.

Awesome updates, I love them so far.

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles
14 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

@Poidachi How did you find out Yudachi was released?

Friends? Frequent checking?

Welcome back!

I'm guessing, from friends in the Kantai Collection community that play WoWs (you'd be surprised how many are in WoWS because of KanColle) mentioned Yudachi arriving to him.

If anyone uses "Poi" that's because it's sort of an in-joke thing from KanColle.  You aren't going to see that in any official history of the actual wartime DD :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
19 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

@Poidachi How did you find out Yudachi was released?

Friends? Frequent checking?

Welcome back!

Friends came in quite quickly with the news. I mean, most of the Supertester team at the time I was an ST knew how badly I wanted Yuudachi in the game. I still kind of can't believe she's here. Now, if only I had the means to buy her ;-;

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'm guessing, from friends in the Kantai Collection community that play WoWs (you'd be surprised how many are in WoWS because of KanColle) mentioned Yudachi arriving to him.

If anyone uses "Poi" that's because it's sort of an in-joke thing from KanColle.  You aren't going to see that in any official history of the actual wartime DD :Smile_trollface:

Actually, they're just old friends that knew how badly I wanted Yuudachi to come to WoWs. 4 years, worth the wait!

[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Great guess!

11 minutes ago, Poidachi said:

Friends came in quite quickly with the news. I mean, most of the Supertester team at the time I was an ST knew how badly I wanted Yuudachi in the game. I still kind of can't believe she's here. Now, if only I had the means to buy her ;-;

Nice friends. :)

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
21 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Great guess!

Nice friends. :)

Good lads they are. Weebs for sure, but I guess I can't really talk haha

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles
34 minutes ago, Poidachi said:

Hydro is a type of sonar, I presume. As a DD you shouldn't even be going near CA/CLs. If you've been doing that, that's a surefire way to die. Suicidal DD plays aren't a very consistent way to play anyways. 

It looks like these changes don't really affect me all that much. A lot of people play DD as a "ninja" class, but it's more of a support class. I've always used to tell people that smoke should be used to help cover your carrier or BBs if they're in a tight spot, and not to camp somewhere and lob stuff at people. Not much really has changed. 

Torpedoes aren't always about hitting people directly, but could be used to force broadsides and help teammates escape if needed. Need to get out of the offensive mindset and think about teammates first.

Awesome updates, I love them so far.

Hydro is basically radar, but shorter range/longer detection. Spots any ship within range, and spots torps at a lesser range.

I'm a BB guy, lot of respect for you guys that can do well in DDs, I need my heal lol. And I've had my butt saved by a DD smoke more times than I can count. Just don't expect me to sit in it, unless I'm almost dead and use it to heal, the most I'm going to do is use it to disengage and reposition. As soon as I shoot, the smoke is useless. Also, you can't drop smoke on me as I'm moving the opposite direction at full speed and expect me to stop. I literally cannot stop that fast. I've seen many complaints about how BB drivers just barge right through smoke, but often it's because there no way we can stop in time, and trying to do so would just leave us awkwardly dead in the water, still spotted. I really appreciate DDs trying to help with smoke, and very often it's useful, just remember we're WAY bigger than you, and physics remembers that even if you don't. 

And yes, a DD on a flank is a real pain, because I can't push because that would mean giving broadside and potentially eating a full torp spread. A shima can shut down a flank real fast, just by dropping one set of torps. Also, keeping ships spotted, not allowing them to disengage, cruisers hate that. A well played DD is someone you never see, but always know is there.

I'm curious, why did you leave WOWS? Just moved on, or something particularly that drove you away?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,890 posts
24,775 battles

Poi

Yudachi is almost as good as old Fubuki. 

I plan on using torpedoe acceleration and bft...

Anything else to get those guns to reload faster...

I can't wait to sail her.

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
10 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Hydro is basically radar, but shorter range/longer detection. Spots any ship within range, and spots torps at a lesser range.

I'm a BB guy, lot of respect for you guys that can do well in DDs, I need my heal lol. And I've had my butt saved by a DD smoke more times than I can count. Just don't expect me to sit in it, unless I'm almost dead and use it to heal, the most I'm going to do is use it to disengage and reposition. As soon as I shoot, the smoke is useless. Also, you can't drop smoke on me as I'm moving the opposite direction at full speed and expect me to stop. I literally cannot stop that fast. I've seen many complaints about how BB drivers just barge right through smoke, but often it's because there no way we can stop in time, and trying to do so would just leave us awkwardly dead in the water, still spotted. I really appreciate DDs trying to help with smoke, and very often it's useful, just remember we're WAY bigger than you, and physics remembers that even if you don't. 

And yes, a DD on a flank is a real pain, because I can't push because that would mean giving broadside and potentially eating a full torp spread. A shima can shut down a flank real fast, just by dropping one set of torps. Also, keeping ships spotted, not allowing them to disengage, cruisers hate that. A well played DD is someone you never see, but always know is there.

I'm curious, why did you leave WOWS? Just moved on, or something particularly that drove you away?

I drop smoke for my teammates to get out of situations or to give them a moment of peace to recollect themselves. A good DD will be the biggest pain in the [edited]you'll ever face. The thing that drove me away was the issue with CVs. A CV with a single group of fighters could easily target any DD on the map without any repercussion and have them spotted for the entire game. It was a bad mechanic, and it essentially ruined the game for DD players if the team didn't have any CV support to go along with it. The game was so heavily centered around CVs, that it wasn't fun to play against any decent CV player at all. I look forward to see what they've done with them.Insert other media

• Cool 1

-Members-
397 posts
967 battles
15 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Poi

Yudachi is almost as good as old Fubuki. 

I plan on using torpedoe acceleration and bft...

Anything else to get those guns to reload faster...

I can't wait to sail her.

Now I need to find the cash to buy her ;-;

God damn, she's costly as hell!