You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

There is only one thing i want to make me play subs.

24 comments in this topic

Members
2,445 posts
5,464 battles

Either WG puts it in or someone mods it in, but everytime you dive underwater the capt yells

ALARM!!!!!!!!

like in the das boot movie.

Edited by Legio_X_
  • Cool 1

[D_INC]
[D_INC]
Members
91 posts
6,873 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! AGREED

[D_INC]
[D_INC]
Members
91 posts
6,873 battles

The Bismark should have this gun when you fire. At 2:25.  i couldn't find a clip

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
40 minutes ago, Woo67 said:

The Bismark should have this gun when you fire. At 2:25.  i couldn't find a clip

In light of the fact that Hollywood is doing another Midway movie, I'd love to see them do a new version of Sink the Bismarck.   Though I do have to say that in spite of a few historical inaccuracies, Sink the Bismarck is a remarkably good movie for its day.

EDIT: at around the 6:00 mark, the retreating RN BB is making smoke.  I have a realism question here.  Is the smoke that ships make actually that dark or not?  And if so, should WoWS ship smoke be made to be more realistic in color, i.e. darker?  Note that this "realism" question doesn't change a mechanic so much as it changes the visual effect of a mechanic.

Edited by Crucis

[RLGN]
Members
16,809 posts
29,422 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

In light of the fact that Hollywood is doing another Midway movie, I'd love to see them do a new version of Sink the Bismarck.   Though I do have to say that in spite of a few historical inaccuracies, Sink the Bismarck is a remarkably good movie for its day.

And why I want my PoW with smoke consumable.

Premium T7 HMS Hood, driven by experienced player, detonated by Bismarck.

Tree T8 top hull Bismarck, driven by experienced player, got Devstrike achievement on HMS Hood.

Tree T7 A-hull KGV, (Prince of Wales,) driven by basically noob player...

...does moderate damage to Bismarck, nothing to worry about, but escapes because two puff smoke breaks los, annoying the Bismarck driver. So much so he misses the incoming Arc Royal airstrike, which jams the rudder, because too quick on the draw for the PoW damage.

Another KGV and a slow as dirt Nelson catch up, and everyone knows how well that goes for the Bismarck...

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
36 minutes ago, Crucis said:

EDIT: at around the 6:00 mark, the retreating RN BB is making smoke.  I have a realism question here.  Is the smoke that ships make actually that dark or not?  And if so, should WoWS ship smoke be made to be more realistic in color, i.e. darker?  Note that this "realism" question doesn't change a mechanic so much as it changes the visual effect of a mechanic.

There are surprisingly few inaccuracies but the one that makes me cringe is Lutjens and Lindemann were arguing about opening fire. Lutjens was well known for following his orders to the letter even when the situation changed. The Hood had already fired a couple of volleys when Lindemann had had enough and he said the quote in my signature. I think he was rather eloquent.

Yes it would be if you pumped in a lot of extra oil which is how ships without smoke making equipment make smoke.

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
16 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

And why I want my PoW with smoke consumable.

Premium T7 HMS Hood, driven by experienced player, detonated by Bismarck.

Tree T8 top hull Bismarck, driven by experienced player, got Devstrike achievement on HMS Hood.

Tree T7 A-hull KGV, (Prince of Wales,) driven by basically noob player...

...does moderate damage to Bismarck, nothing to worry about, but escapes because two puff smoke breaks los, annoying the Bismarck driver. So much so he misses the incoming Arc Royal airstrike, which jams the rudder, because too quick on the draw for the PoW damage.

Another KGV and a slow as dirt Nelson catch up, and everyone knows how well that goes for the Bismarck...

I half expected someone to bring up smoke for the KGV's when I mentioned smoke in the earlier post.  I didn't really imply that that's what I wanted (and you didn't either, BTW).  I'm more curious what people would think of the ideas of 1) whether ship-produced smoke was more black or white, and 2) if black, should the devs change it in-game to make it more black-ish.

Anyways, for what it's worth, a Sink the Bismarck themed Operation could be interesting, though I doubt that it would be truly accurate to the historical battle.  Probably be more like an Op where there were a some German BBs, like the Bismarck, Tirpitz, and possibly the Sharnhorst and Gneisenau, plus some cruisers and DDs, and it's the player team's job to intercept and destroy the German force before it crosses the map to an exit point.

[HELLS]
Members
2,890 posts
33,043 battles
57 minutes ago, Crucis said:

White if it is produced by smoke canisters, and black if they put additonal fuel in the boiler exhaust uptakes into the stack. They could pretty much use whatever chemical dye color they wanted and did in prewar execises. Many ships did both, and could use either method. The USN has gone back to this and testing has shown that certain chemical smokes, nanoparticles mostly,  can neutralize radar and thermal imaging systems while blocking off normal optical systems as well. Stealth smoke, they call it. Seen an article on this but cannot find the damned link to post it!

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,533 posts
19,680 battles

Give me British subs and the Unbroken as a T6 premium with Alistair Mars as special captain.

[UNHLY]
Members
3,471 posts
26,583 battles
2 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

long as they also mod it to play 'schneller' when running on the surface -

Need a  picture to go with that great sound and even subtitles for you ghost :Smile_Default:

[SFOR]
Beta Testers
446 posts
10,889 battles

Welp SCTV did a very good version of this fine film, hmm the name escapes me...

[EGO]
Banned
4,105 posts
16,276 battles
9 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

Either WG puts it in or someone mods it in, but everytime you dive underwater the capt yells

ALARM!!!!!!!!

like in the das boot movie.

Normally I just charge $65-$75 / hr but for something this distasteful I’m going to need double that.

I realize it doesn’t qualify for hazard pay but it more than qualifies for hardship pay.

[HELLS]
Members
2,890 posts
33,043 battles
On 9/14/2019 at 8:34 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Give me British subs and the Unbroken as a T6 premium with Alistair Mars as special captain.

Lt/Cmdr Malcom David ''Tubby'' Wanklyn, VC, DSO and 2 bars, RN in Upholder is my choice. Either one is excellent. Both were risk takers par excellence.

[HINON]
Members
3,313 posts
29,751 battles

sigh* to be completely honest I'm pretty much trying to enjoy the game as much as I can now before the hot mess I'm anticipating when subs get here. :-|

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,216 posts
18,753 battles
36 minutes ago, giovybez said:

sigh* to be completely honest I'm pretty much trying to enjoy the game as much as I can now before the hot mess I'm anticipating when subs get here. :-|

Well you likely have at least a few months if not closer to 5 or 6.