You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RemoveCarriers

Which BB Line Should I grind?

19 comments in this topic

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,227 posts
6,204 battles
5 minutes ago, Ven_Ben1 said:

im almost done grinding the german BB line,but which other bb line should i grind?

1.IJN

2.USN

3.Russian Navy

USN and IJN may lack the huge gimmicks, but they are great learners and all rounders. Personally I'm a USN guy, but there is an awkward jump from dreadnought to all rounder from tier 7 to 8. Both are great choices with very respectable tier 10s. 

I would caution against the Russians unless you are very comfortable in BBs. They are more potent than the Germans, but they are not forgiving, whereas Germany is the most forgiving line of BBs. 

[O_O]
Members
7,163 posts
18,038 battles

You should grind a DD line.

Seriously.  All BB mains would benefit from some DD time.

• Cool 2

[WTFL]
Members
229 posts
992 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

You learn the tricks DDs love to use against you. Very sound advice, sir.

• Cool 2

[RAGE]
Members
2,018 posts
9,547 battles

Not sure now is a great time to start a DD grind, with 2 or 3 CV's per side common right now.  Maybe after they nerf the Hosho it will die down a bit. 

Edit - it's actually probably worse for BBs because of the Hosho torp seal clubbing.  Maybe DD is better. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

[UNHLY]
Members
5,370 posts
14,897 battles
5 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Did a similar thing when I started becoming a cruiser main after a number of years playing mostly battleships - getting quite a bit of playtime on both sides of the cruiser-battleship exchange definitely helps improve your play when dealing with one class in the other since you already know what the other ship is going to try and do.

@Ven_Ben1 personally I’m biased toward USN BBs, having played mostly them for a number of years, and can say they’re definitely a good line to play by being true all rounders (they can snipe, they can brawl, decent health, armor, and speed, and accurate hard hitting guns). The speed of the lower tiers isn’t too much of an issue since most ships down at lower tiers are slow, but the mid tiers do tend to get painful when you’re still going 21 knots and pretty much every ship you’ll face can significantly outrun you. It means you will tend to get to engagements late, but it definitely teaches you map awareness and position that are useful for pretty much any line. And then you get to the fast battleships starting at t8 with North Carolina and can very easily control the battlefield if you know what you’re doing.

The IJN line is nice at low and mid tiers (especially Kongo and Fuso) with good accuracy, long range, and really good speed for a battleship, but once you get to t7 and especially t8 and up you tend to become more of a long range sniper with your good accuracy and dispersion. Yamato at the top of the line is Yamato of course (the ‘what is bow tanking’ ship) with your amazing accuracy and very hard hitting shells, but you will not be a happy camper if you try to brawl a lot in it since you don’t have the agility or turret traverse to deal with close range engagements and you have the infamous Yamato citadal. That’s not to say you can’t get in close with any if the IJN BBs, but the line is more suited for long range engagements.

As others have said, I’d avoid the Russian line unless you’re very comfortable in battleships and understand how battleships work. They’re insanely tanky in the right position and have Stalin-blessed accuracy at close and medium range, but the limited charge DCP and very exposed citadel make you vulnerable to burning down and flanking ships. Plus, unlike most of the other lines, they really suffer accuracy wise at longer ranges - you may have one salvo that gives a citadel or two, and then the next four bracket your target on either side.

On the other hand, I might recommend playing either a destroyer line or a few of the cruiser lines (more so cruisers before focusing 100% on destroyers) instead of starting another battleship line right away. It gives you a different perspective on the game and experience dealing with the other side of the battleship-other ship combat, so as a battleship you will have a much better idea of what an enemy cruiser or destroyer may be doing and counter it, and when playing the other class have a better idea of what you can do to protect yourself against capital ships.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Cool 1

[FTBAS]
[FTBAS]
Members
25 posts
3,224 battles

US or KM , IJN for Yammy 👍

The other three lines are quite different and situational

[FTBAS]
[FTBAS]
Members
25 posts
3,224 battles

As they said, if you started playing BBs now, pick the Germans, from tier 6 onwards you will be a little annoyed by the dispersion or the caliber of the guns but in return you will be far less punished for mistakes than the other lines.

[DVL]
Members
297 posts
3,952 battles

I personally enjoyed the French line. I am only at the Richie, and was dumb enough to buy Gascan. They have a unique play style to them that you many enjoy. Lyon is one of my favorite ships in the game

[KAPPA]
Members
3,158 posts
9,567 battles

If you are very skilled, Russian BBs. If not... it depends on personal taste, really. US are very vanilla, in that they are a very balanced aproach to combat. IJN are fairly fragile, but hit hard. French, umm... are fast? RN BBs are fairly silly beasts, but interesting due to the different play style.

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Not sure now is a great time to start a DD grind, with 2 or 3 CV's per side common right now.  Maybe after they nerf the Hosho it will die down a bit. 

Edit - it's actually probably worse for BBs because of the Hosho torp seal clubbing.  Maybe DD is better. 

This is true, starting new lines is a bit rough at the moment due to the Hosho infestation.

However if you can jump straight to T5 or 6, then that mostly goes away and things are pretty comfortable.  The DD population has rebounded quite well and players picked up strategies other than "cap early" so it's less likely you'll find yourself down one or two DDs 3 minutes in.  If you haven't played it yet, the current meta is pretty well suited to the IJN mainline DDs.  Cruisers seem to be at an all time low, and most other DDs are high visibility gunships.  Having 1km+ detection on your competitors makes vision bullying real fun, BB heavy metas lead to heavy bow tanking, and longer ranged torps are always useful with CVs around.

On the other hand if the OP is set on a BB line, I'd say IJN.  The USN BB line is great but I think we all tend to underestimate how badly the slow speed screws with positioning.  The slowness not only punishes you really hard for a positioning mistake, but it also makes learning better positioning very slow since you basically only make one or two positioning choices per game.  It's sorta like how playing cruisers teaches you how to aim better than playing BBs - you get more changes to shoot.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,648 battles
2 hours ago, Ven_Ben1 said:

1.IJN

Lightly armored snipers with great guns.

2.USN

Slow and tanky sluggers with good AA and bad gun arcs (at least until tier 8, where they do an abrupt turn around.)

3.Russian Navy

Great guns and high citadels, don't get caught with your sides exposed.

How do you want to play?

2 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Not really, as both have drawbacks versus air, just different ones.

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

Soviet BBs rely on their team too much. Very rarely can you get in close for your "strong" aka unnoticeably above average dispersion, very unforgiving and of low value outside of very specific circumstances. IJN BBs are a must have since they are fun to play and still have the best gun performance at every tier. Yamato is the most feared battleship to run up against and I doubt that will ever change. USN are a lot more finicky with their guns and unfortunately at higher tiers nothing really stands out about them anymore due to recent AA and concealment changes. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles

Once you're past Tier IV, IJN Battleship guns are solid at every tier.  Range, accuracy, power, and reasonable reload speed.  The crown jewel BB guns in the game are Yamato-class 460s which have 32mm Overmatch advantages that none of the "close but no cigar" 457mm armed Battleships have.

IJN BBs also have reasonable speed.

Tech Tree USN Battleships are great once you get to High Tier, especially IX-X, but before that, they have tremendous, awful problems.

The RU BB Line has lots of very solid ships but they got the most exposed, vulnerable citadels out of any BB Line in the game.  If you know what you're doing in protecting your BB, you'll be fine, but make a mistake, or someone puts themselves in a position to punish you that you haven't foreseen, you're going down.  Quick.  Not surprising to see these punished in 1-2 salvos on a regular basis if they f--k up.  It's not just 1 or 2 ships in this Line that are like that.  It's the ENTIRE LINE.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[UN1]
Members
1,427 posts
4,694 battles

I'd go Russia honestly.  One of the advantages imho is that they all play exactly the same, making them super easy to play.

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
11 hours ago, Ven_Ben1 said:

im almost done grinding the german BB line,but which other bb line should i grind?

1.IJN

2.USN

3.Russian Navy

Depends on what youre looking for in your next bb...

USN: good line to start after KM. Good armor, accuracy, aa... bad speed, annoying floaty shells (that actually benefit you versus KM ships and island huggers).

RN: ultimate bb trolls. HE kings. great stealth. Nasty when div'd with a mino and daring.

IJN: yammie is the face tank king with godlike guns... but yammie also has cheeks and sides that beg for citadels...

FR: secondaries are very comparable to KM. Amazing speedy flanker. Quite squishy compared to KM. Weird when line bounces from 16 to 8 guns and turret placement.

RU: very tough face. Very weak sides. Nice railguns. Monster when played right. Puntable squishy kitten when played wrong.

If youre looking to branch out to cruisers look no further than germans as the starting line. If dds look appealing then go with RN to start.