You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

Even Hollywood agrees 2019 is year of the CV

120 comments in this topic

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles

The recent Midway trailer suggests that even Hollywood is on-board with this year being the year of the CV. What better way to celebrate than releasing a video celebrating the most pivotal battle of CVs where carrier planes have their way with surface ships.

I wonder if there will be a submarine based movie next year to commemorate what will likely be the year of the submarine, too!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,287 battles

I wonder if this remake of the seventies movie is going to be as trash as WGs remake of their original CV

• Funny 5

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles
Just now, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

I wonder if this remake of the seventies movie is going to be as trash as WGs remake of their original CV

As long as the box office numbers are good... does it even matter :cap_cool:

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Transformers is living proof of that. At worst it's gonna be a reasonable popcorn flick.

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,287 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

:cap_hmm: I think that's W g's philosophy they made their money does it matter of it's any good or not

[BONKS]
Members
186 posts
13,489 battles

Mogami tried to just dodge the CV planes in this battle.... It ended up ramming its sister ship and sunk it.  Sounds like random battles to me

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles
Just now, NoLoveForPhatShips said:

:cap_hmm: I think that's W g's philosophy they made their money does it matter of it's any good or not

image.png.4f1af6a16c38f57ffd279854c6f923b4.png

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,267 posts
8,345 battles

Well the CG looks good...  Will see.  Clearly a movie celebrating the under powered CV is worthy of the price of a ticket!    

• Boring 2

[NGA]
Members
2,010 posts
12,594 battles
12 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

SO... is Disney involved in the production in any capacity because there's your answer.

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
28,089 battles

Wait... where does that 2 engine Japanese bombers come from at 1:40?

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,287 battles
11 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

image.png.4f1af6a16c38f57ffd279854c6f923b4.png

The joke is WG stated that they feel CVs are in a good place and no more changes are coming soon :Smile_facepalm:

[ARGSY]
Members
25,540 posts
19,684 battles
15 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

The more trailers they put out, the more I'm convinced this movie will be trash.

The first time I saw a trailer for this, the YT channel that was hosting it - which I think was the production company's official channel - had disabled comments. That told me all I needed to know.

Midway has been mythologised almost as much as Dunkirk, and I don't mind admitting that I swallowed that mythology as a kid. But when I saw the trailers, even my inner nine-year-old jumped up and called bulls.... 

Hell, even my inner FIVE YEAR OLD would not want to watch this trash, and he sat through the original just fine.

[55UP]
Members
432 posts
4,302 battles
33 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

What better way to celebrate than releasing a video celebrating the most pivotal battle of CVs where carrier planes have their way with surface ships.

Only seven ships were sunk in the battle, and five of them were carriers. Although I suppose we can get technical and say that carriers only sank one ship during the battle, which was a cruiser. The others were sunk by non-aerial torpedoes. 

[WPS]
Members
4,181 posts
9,619 battles
1 minute ago, FineousFingers said:

Only seven ships were sunk in the battle, and five of them were carriers. Although I suppose we can get technical and say that carriers only sank one ship during the battle, which was a cruiser. The others were sunk by non-aerial torpedoes. 

There's always pink players, even IRL

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,597 battles

2016 is the year of the CV!

2017 is the year of the CV!

2018 is the year of the CV!

2019 is the year of the CV!

and, not unlike the Energizer Bunny, it keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and going …...

Beta Testers
365 posts
12,391 battles
24 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Wait... where does that 2 engine Japanese bombers come from at 1:40?

Some other engagement, I guess.  1:20 is the Doolittle raid, so I assume they're skimming through everything from Pearl to Midway.

Some Googling suggests that Enterprise came under G3M land bomber attack during a raid on the Marshall islands, which included a flight leader crashing into a parked and manned Dauntless, so that's probably what that scene is based on.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,147 posts
26,918 battles

30JQU31.jpg

If anyone is interested on the history of this battle, especially from the POV of the Japanese, this is an excellent video.

For almost all of this battle, the Japanese were actually beating the living hell out of the American air attacks to the point of slaughter.  But that was until the screenshot at the top of my post.  But the video goes into great lengths into the sequence of events and why the Japanese commander did what he did.

When people talk about Midway, they only gloss over the whole thing and just mention the lost IJN Carriers.  They almost never go into detail how much of a shooting gallery it was for Japanese fighters until the very end.  US aviators were getting swatted out of the skies until the USN Carrier-borne Dive Bombers attacked.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,147 posts
26,918 battles
2 minutes ago, Mailman653 said:

2020 will also be year of the CV.

TopGunMaverick71819.jpg

Where's Goose?

uc03HNk.gif

Just now, enderland07 said:

T11 confirmed in 2020.

I don't think people can handle the tier-equivalent Submarines...

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,874 posts
722 battles

More explosions please. Pearl Harbor still has it beat. 

I mean at least in Pearl Harbor the scene where they flew the B-25s off the carrier actually happened and wasn't entirely CGI. Even though they used the wrong model B-25.

Of course, there are no airworthy B-25Bs so that's understandable I guess.