You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kraayt

Tier IV AA Defense

22 comments in this topic

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
336 posts
9,715 battles

I rarely play my Arkansas B anymore with all the CV's that show up in T4 now.   The Arkansas B has no AA...none.   Not only does it have no AA.... even if your CV was able and willing, they have no Fighter consumable to drop cover on or near you.   Your only option is to request cover and shadow a ship that might have some AA defenses....and that is very iffy.

Now, I doubt the Arkansas had zero AA defenses of any kind through its life, but I do not know this for a fact.   I would like to request that the Arkansas B, and any other ships of similar nature be reviewed and some adjustment be made for some sort of AA defense.   That said, the CV's in this tier could be considered to receive the Fighter Drop consumable for air cover, although that could have extensive consequences based on the fragility of the bombers.

It is no fun being a moving target piñata for the enemy CV's with no defense besides maneuvers which are pointless in a T4 BB.   I took fourteen torps hits in my last game...actually dodging 2 drops.  Used all my repairs and it just wasn't enough.   I did almost nothing except try to evade torpedo bombers...and it has been the same for nearly all of my recent games in that ship.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles

If it were any other tier IV BB (except Nikola)  I would agree, but Arkansas has the Upgrade Slots of a tier IX+....

Edited by warheart1992

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
336 posts
9,715 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If it were any other tier IV BB (except Nikola)  I would agree, but Arkansas has the Upgrade Slots of a tier IX+....

Yes....but the upgrades slots do not give it any AA, so that is irrelevant.   I think giving the CV's the Fighter consumable might be the best option, but as I said, I don't know what the unintended consequences might be requiring tuning.   Of course....you could also tune the Hosho, but that's in a different topic.   Believe me, I know how to use the WASD hack and it doesn't work very well on a T4 BB....and only marginally better on the other classes.

As it is, best option is not to play the ship, and to be hesitant of playing any T4...except the Hosho.

[AFK]
Members
422 posts
5,124 battles

Arkansas has plenty of good things to make up for her lack of AA. Of she had AA, she'd be even more powerful

[BEARS]
Beta Testers
336 posts
9,715 battles
10 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

Arkansas has plenty of good things to make up for her lack of AA. Of she had AA, she'd be even more powerful

Not denying the ship has a lot of nice features.   Except AA.   Without AA and in a CV environment, she is helpless and useless.  Absolutely frustrating to play, and a good reason you rarely see them any more.  Focused by a CV player, you can forget it.

About the only solution I can think of, is to team up with a buddy that has a Texas or similar ship, play up and ride his hip for cover.   

[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles
15 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

Doesn't have to be great AA. Even a bunch short range stuff for any ship that sees CVs would be a reasonable step. IRL they could add med/hvy machine guns pretty quick. Hell, have the marines on deck with rifles doing volley fire. Not going to shoot down a lot of planes but you would at least have a chance. Slow BBs in particular don't get to make the choice to stick with a better AA ship. It all depends on spawn and a cooperative teammate to wait for you. Other ships in game do get hypothetical AA added. Every ship that sees CVs should have at least 1920 AA build.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles

If at least there were ANY AA cruisers at the tier at least you'd have the option to go and camp one of em... but there are practically NONE.

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

I've stopped playing my T4 Russian BBs, Gangut and Nikolai because you constantly get focused down by CVs (more often two on a side these days), and deleted early in the game with nothing to show for it.  Not fun and engaging.

• Cool 2

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,202 posts
4,552 battles

One possible solution would be to offer two hulls for Arkansas Beta. One as is, and one that nerfs other things to compensate for having some AA.

This could also take the form of a legendary module for Ark beta, that would give some AA in exchange for some other nerf.

Not sure what those nerfs might be, just offering a suggestion. 

Honestly I would happily trade my extra upgrade slots in exchange for making her stat wise the equivalent of a fully upgraded Wyoming. Nothing gamebreaking by any means, but at least playable.

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
1,202 posts
4,552 battles
1 minute ago, ElAurens said:

I've stopped playing my T4 Russian BBs, Gangut and Nikolai because you constantly get focused down by CVs (more often two on a side these days), and deleted early in the game with nothing to show for it.  Not fun and engaging.

I would rather get detonated than focused by the broken CVs at tier 4. At least I get flags for a detonation.

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
14,296 posts
20,867 battles

help me understand this... Its ok for DDs to be pray for the CVs but its wrong for the BB to be CV pray....

How long have we had CVs ??? Are we in patch 8.8 ??? and now the Ark Betas want to complain... In context, the way I see the situation... The problem is limited to very few Ark Beta users COMPARED to the many DD drivers...

IF the Ark B gets AA, then DDs should get decent AA as well...

[WOLFX]
1,202 posts
4,552 battles
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

help me understand this... Its ok for DDs to be pray for the CVs but its wrong for the BB to be CV pray....

How long have we had CVs ??? Are we in patch 8.8 ??? and now the Ark Betas want to complain... In context, the way I see the situation... The problem is limited to very few Ark Beta users COMPARED to the many DD drivers...

IF the Ark B gets AA, then DDs should get decent AA as well...

I've been complaining about the lack of AA since we were awarded the ship a few years ago, and I'm a DD main for what that's worth.

As a DD turning off your AA actually helps quite a bit, and the fact that we can maneuver helps way more. Biggest issue is being spotted and having others shoot at you.

Also, fixing the tier 4 CVs that got buffed to the point of ruining tier 3-5 gameplay for everyone else would help.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,597 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Its ok for DDs to be pray for the CVs but its wrong for the BB to be CV pray....

Not once did I see in this post anywhere that OP or anyone else said DDs don't need good AA. In fact, other than you bringing it up, I see no reference to DDs anywhere. Now I want DD AA as much as the next guy, even proposed making all DD guns dual purpose, but there is no need to hijack OPs thread about one specific BB which does need better AA and transform it into a pro-DD AA rant. (Which we also need FYI). Let dude have his complaint thread without crucifying him for NOT mentioning all the other ships which need better AA.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,597 battles
1 hour ago, dechion said:

fixing the tier 4 CVs that got buffed to the point of ruining tier 3-5 gameplay for everyone else would help.

this, completely

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
1,023 posts
4,265 battles

I don't think WG wants you to be playing and having fun at T4 (or below).  While that statement might be slightly exaggerated, over the years they have really shifted into "encouraging" players to progress as quickly as possible through those tiers.  Even with the RB they want players to burn FXP to move past low to mid tier range.  You can bet that fixing imbalances at low tiers is considered a lower priority for the Dev team than "other" tasks.  It's too bad really, there are a lot of great age-of-steam warships in the lower tiers.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,874 posts
722 battles
14 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

The only thing those upgrade slots are really good for is giving you a 6.8km secondary range with BTF and ATF.

Sure it has tier IX slots but what's it supposed to do with them?

Members
236 posts
15 hours ago, Sethanas said:

If at least there were ANY AA cruisers at the tier at least you'd have the option to go and camp one of em... but there are practically NONE.

Yubari begs to differ.

Loves to frustrate Hosho and Hermes cancer.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,267 posts
8,345 battles

I'm guessing T4 has now become the new purple farming hotspot, thanks to the vigorous advertising program presently in the forums... Logged on to the T4 que last night and there was 22 CVs in que  7 BBs 4 cruisers and 4 DDs...  I played a couple of matches with an AA Yubari.. Well just because fun offering that unexpected challenge to the clubbing.  Unsurpisingly most of the CV pilots were well aware.   WG needs to fix those two Carriers ASAP...    

Members
696 posts
8,275 battles

Nah dont fix the t4 cv.  I and many others made post about playing t4 cv as soon as the new patch hit and the general consensus are:

"OP is just damage farming"

"that is one good game, who knows what he will average over the long run"

"what about t5 mm"

The game is in a good state for new players and low tiers.  Its just you

Edited by mixmkz
  • Boring 2

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
161 posts
9,043 battles

Average damage of a tier 4 CV isn't actually anything special. Langley 26k a game, Hermes 24k, Hosho a bit over powered sits at 37k. Even then the Hosho sits around the average damage of a tier 4 battleships.

I think the real issue is when you have experienced CV pilots playing them like you do now. That is mostly because they aren't much fun at high tiers atm with the broken AA.

But WG seems to have no issues with low tier clubbing, it's why they let people run 19 point captains in tier 4 ships. Hell whole research thing promotes the idea of seal clubbing.