Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FullMetal_Inferno

How to Counter Play the New Ships?

29 comments in this topic

[-RUM-]
Members
364 posts
6,350 battles

Smolensk, Friesland, Colbert.

These three have made any game a nightmare for me. I can't fight them with CVs because their AA is too strong. I can't fight them in any DDs because I don't have the health or damage output.

This just leaves cruisers and BBs. What do you all recommend I play in order to better deal with these ships? On one hand BBs can be farmed hard by these ships through fires, and on the other hand I don't know if cruisers are strong enough to kill these because of their middling hp pools.

I honestly don't believe these ships are healthy for the game, but I could definitely use some help in diagnosing their weaknesses and learning to adapt to them.

Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,364 battles

The best choise is cruisers with radar like DM and dds with torps.

Also BBs are great to by farmed by this ships.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
21,648 battles
11 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

What do you all recommend I play in order to better deal with these ships?

Enola Gay.

• Funny 5

[KWF]
Members
6,710 posts
7,321 battles

Friesland is one of the easier ones to deal with to be honest if in a DD. I know cause I have one. With Friesland having 6.4km detection, most DDs can keep the ship comfortably permaspotted. It doesn't have much HP and no torpedoes, so it will either have to disengage or smoke up at a less optimal position, just due to your presence. As long as you keep in mind the 5km Hydro you can shut a Friesland down without much trouble to be honest.

Bottom line, if in a DD and you encounter Friesland, patience and spotting are your best friends.

• Cool 1

Members
1,654 posts
12 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

The best choice is cruisers with radar like DM and dds with torps.

Right, and something called team play...focus and cross fire...the Zao can be deadly as well, even w/o radar. 

Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,364 battles
2 minutes ago, loco_max said:

Right, and something called team play...focus and cross fire...the Zao can be deadly as well, even w/o radar. 

You expect team play in randoms?

giphy.gif

Members
1,654 posts
3 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

You expect team play in randoms?

giphy.gif

this is why some advanced CL are doing well. Now this is not a Hyena, looks to me like a dog, so explain please...

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Friesland is one of the easier ones to deal with to be honest if in a DD. I know cause I have one. With Friesland having 6.4km detection, most DDs can keep the ship comfortably permaspotted. It doesn't have much HP and no torpedoes, so it will either have to disengage or smoke up at a less optimal position, just due to your presence. As long as you keep in mind the 5km Hydro you can shut a Friesland down without much trouble to be honest.

Bottom line, if in a DD and you encounter Friesland, patience and spotting are your best friends.

The issue with the other DD is they push into the Freisland, get scared and smoke up, now if the Freisland player holds his fire, he can push on that dd undetected due to the others smoke, then smoke up themselves, then hydro, and the other DD is pretty much dead, I know this works as I do it all the time now when the opportunity arrives when I am using one

Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,364 battles
2 minutes ago, loco_max said:

this is why some advanced CL are doing well. Now this is not a Hyena, looks to me like a dog, so explain please...

Heh team play only happens if you are in a division (like a dd+zao, a dd spot for the zao), you NEVER can expect that from random players, if happens? Good, but NEVER NEVER NEEEEEEEEEEEVERRR expect random people play "for team".

Also i think its a fox in the gif :fish_happy:

[KWF]
Members
6,710 posts
7,321 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

The issue with the other DD is they push into the Freisland, get scared and smoke up, now if the Freisland player holds his fire, he can push on that dd undetected due to the others smoke, then smoke up themselves, then hydro, and the other DD is pretty much dead, I know this works as I do it all the time now when the opportunity arrives when I am using one

I know, I know, it works a surprising amount of times, which I find really weird, seeing as they decide to pick a fight with a DD that can have 1.4s reload. But the point still stands.

With patience and proper vision control you can effectively counter Friesland without firing a shot, then when the ship is out of smokes or gets caught up in the open have your shot at seriously damaging it. Besides, no Speed Boost means that unless you are British you can almost alway outrun a Friesland.

• Cool 1

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

With patience and proper vision control you can effectively counter Friesland without firing a shot, then when the ship is out of smokes or gets caught up in the open have your shot at seriously damaging it. Besides, no Speed Boost means that unless you are British you can almost alway outrun a Friesland.

To many times I have seen people getting farmed by them on my team, they are spotted but no one wants to shoot them, I do the same, when they wont shoot at you, no need to smoke, and you can watch their guns turn to you, but so many many fires.

The ships in question however are not a problem, the problem is the teamwork, which is none existent most of the time, as I have seen these ships in question do very badly when your team shoots what should be shot, it is like a layer cake.

DD spots, certain targets should be shot first to protect the DD, when that target is gone the DD can spot more, so more shots on the enemy can land, and so on.  Sometimes teams just work well others, well we've all been there.

• Cool 2

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,405 battles
44 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

These three have made any game a nightmare for me. I can't fight them with CVs because their AA is too strong. I can't fight them in any DDs because I don't have the health or damage output.

This just leaves cruisers and BBs. What do you all recommend I play in order to better deal with these ships? On one hand BBs can be farmed hard by these ships through fires, and on the other hand I don't know if cruisers are strong enough to kill these because of their middling hp pools.

I honestly don't believe these ships are healthy for the game, but I could definitely use some help in diagnosing their weaknesses and learning to adapt to them.

Play lower tiers. None of these ships will bother you at tier 6.

[KAG]
Members
1,373 posts
13,541 battles
48 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

Any DD can out-spot them except a few.  Keep them spotted until your team kills them.  Smoke only lasts for so long, don’t get spotted.  DD play lately is atrocious, so it won’t be that hard to overcome them.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,256 posts
18,835 battles
50 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

First be mindful at the beginning of the battle. Know the enemy team. Pay attention to positioning try to predict what they will be doing. If you are normally an aggressive BB consider holding back a bit. Try to gain an angle on the likely position of the Dragon.  So as a BB they are a nightmare to you but you are also a nightmare to them. If you get that angle pounce on them when they expose themselves. You can one or two shot them and send them to port. 

This is not a cat and mouse situation it is a Cat and Cat situation. 

cheers.

• Cool 1

[B_Y_F]
Members
714 posts
16,531 battles
51 minutes ago, FullMetal_Inferno said:

You can fight them in a CV because slingshot is still a thing and torpedoes bomber have heal. You can even turn a island corner to use your rocket because their armor is paper thin. 

You can fight them in a DD because smoke don't bounce torpedoes and they don't have a radar. In a French, Russia or German DD, your AP will eat them alive if they show boardside. 

Cruise fights mostly turn into DPM battle which I agree this things are beast at that category. Though, supper cruise overmatches give a fare change to fight them because these ship don't have a lot of HP. 

I don't know much about BB, but I will charge them every time in my Lenin. 

Members
1,654 posts
26 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

Heh team play only happens if you are in a division (like a dd+zao, a dd spot for the zao), you NEVER can expect that from random players, if happens? Good, but NEVER NEVER NEEEEEEEEEEEVERRR expect random people play "for team".

Also i think its a fox in the gif :fish_happy:

not with the entire fleet, but I've seen more than once, some kind of collaborations between 2-3 warships  (e.g.1 BB, 1/2 CA), especially going on cross and focused fire. It does not take much more to sink these advanced CL. Remember that the Smolensk is very often a priority target. never seen a Colbert  around.

Fox eh...

Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,364 battles
51 minutes ago, loco_max said:

not with the entire fleet, but I've seen more than once, some kind of collaborations between 2-3 warships  (e.g.1 BB, 1/2 CA), especially going on cross and focused fire. It does not take much more to sink these advanced CL. Remember that the Smolensk is very often a priority target. never seen a Colbert  around.

Fox eh...

Yeah, this happens to kill a targer, but its extreeeeeeeme rare see this kind of collaboration between random players, unless they are in a division, you cant play and expect this happens. If happens, great! But never expect that...

[CVA16]
Members
6,858 posts
21,047 battles

Yes teamwork can help beat these ships. My thought is any ship that REQUIRES teamwork to counter that one ship, cannot be defeated 1v1, is on the OP side.

Members
1,654 posts
4 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Yes teamwork can help beat these ships. My thought is any ship that REQUIRES teamwork to counter that one ship, cannot be defeated 1v1, is on the OP side.

they will get eventually tweak...but it might not change much, even w/o smoke, the Smolensk will look great, and I like that.

Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,364 battles
34 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

You can easly kill any of this ships with a solo des moines, so, dm is op?

You can also do that with a minotaur with radar.

[NUWES]
Members
3,523 posts
13,330 battles
On 9/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, loco_max said:

It's a red fox. Lol

Members
1,969 posts

Actually... they can all be countered with French DD's that are AFT, BFT fit. The cruisers have floaty shells and couldn't hit a DD at 14kms going 54kts. The Freisland? Yeah... keep it at range too...

Soviet DD's like a Khaba or Udaloi could do it too. But they're slower...

When in doubt, BBQ them from long range! :)

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

Sign in to follow this