You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Why did I wait so long for this upgrade???

58 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
14,695 posts
31,240 battles

...a new Monitor LOL.

My vision is quite bad due to complications from my MS and it has made playing hard at times: hell just using the PC and reading stuff is hard. I get lots of migraines from eye strain using a PC for more than a couple hours as well. I always have to run everything blown up and oversized just to see.

Well,, had a rewards coupon from Staples show up a few days ago so went online to see what I might need for "stuff". When the screen loaded a 25% off coupon popped up. So I became very intrigued.

Have held off on a new monitor for a while now as I needed a good sized one and they aren't cheap; even for a cheap one. But with my reward code and 25% off I looked to see what they had. Score!!!!

27" flat screen (HD, LED, 1920X1080, anti glare, AOC lowblue light technology, etc...) A basic but decent monitor that is big enough for me to see and also has features to reduce eye strain which is an issue for me. It even came with everything to hook it up including all the cables (for all options) which many don't include.

The picture is really nice and I can SEE! I am really curious to see how it works while playing now. My previous monitor was an AOC 22" one. The best way I can describe the difference between the 22 and 27 is the 22 is watching TV at home and the 27 is going to the movie theater!

Final tally to the door for the normally priced $180 Monitor (was on clearance as well - was like $120 something before all my discounts)? $84.95! :cap_horn:

yYH2akO.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 20

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,298 posts
6,917 battles

I see a postage stamp and a near-empty water bottle on the edge of the right side of the photo. :Smile_teethhappy:

And congrats on the new monitor. I hope you can enjoy things with far less eye issues now, Admiral. :Smile_great:

Edited by Blorgh2017

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,287 battles

Yep I upgrading my monitor a couple years ago it was the best thing I've ever done for my gaming experience

[PVE]
Members
14,695 posts
31,240 battles
9 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I see a postage stamp and a near-empty water bottle on the edge of the right side of the photo. :Smile_teethhappy:

And congrats on the new monitor. I hope you can enjoy things with far less eye issues now, Admiral. :Smile_great:

The stamps are on used envelopes that have other things/letters/etc... in them I keep handy on the desk. There is also a Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee and a bottle of Gold Peak Tea you can't see behind the water bottle. I drink a lot LOL.

[PVE]
Members
14,695 posts
31,240 battles

OMG I played a game in Republique and it is amazing how much better I can see now. I didn't have to pass on some shots because I couldn't tell how far friendly ships were from the reds. IT is even a huge difference in port. I can easily read the small print now and the ship details jump out at me now too.

I can SEE cried the blind man LOL

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 5

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles
30 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

...a new Monitor LOL.

My vision is quite bad due to complications from my MS and it has made playing hard at times: hell just using the PC and reading stuff is hard. I get lots of migraines from eye strain using a PC for more than a couple hours as well. I always have to run everything blown up and oversized just to see.

Well,, had a rewards coupon from Staples show up a few days ago so went online to see what I might need for "stuff". When the screen loaded a 25% off coupon popped up. So I became very intrigued.

Have held off on a new monitor for a while now as I needed a good sized one and they aren't cheap; even for a cheap one. But with my reward code and 25% off I looked to see what they had. Score!!!!

27" flat screen (HD, LED, 1920X1080, anti glare, AOC lowblue light technology, etc...) A basic but decent monitor that is big enough for me to see and also has features to reduce eye strain which is an issue for me. It even came with everything to hook it up including all the cables (for all options) which many don't include.

The picture is really nice and I can SEE! I am really curious to see how it works while playing now. My previous monitor was an AOC 22" one. The best way I can describe the difference between the 22 and 27 is the 22 is watching TV at home and the 27 is going to the movie theater!

Final tally to the door for the normally priced $180 Monitor (was on clearance as well - was like $120 something before all my discounts)? $84.95! :cap_horn:

yYH2akO.jpg

Congrats ! I upgraded to a 27 " 75 Hz monitor last year when I got my new PC . Now I want a 1144 Hz !!!!! lol

:Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
Members
14,695 posts
31,240 battles
18 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

Congrats ! I upgraded to a 27 " 75 Hz monitor last year when I got my new PC . Now I want a 1144 Hz !!!!! lol

This is only a 60Hz but it is good enough for my needs.

10 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

That's awesome, AT.  Congrats on the QOL upgrade. 

Thanks.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,053 posts
21,431 battles

That is great news! Thanks for sharing the joy, Admiral Thunder! And sincere congratulations on your new monitor, sir!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,330 posts
8,165 battles

The Admiral was a holy terror before the upgrade it's a bad bad day to be a bot now! :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,634 posts
16,862 battles

What did it look like on your old monitor?

[GWG]
Members
7,776 posts
14,921 battles

Problem going through my seasonal 'Man-Cave' back to the Living Room TV has me running up to the 39" TV to try to read the distances to Enemy ships to do the sling-shot drop.

Seems the font gets microscopic with the better monitor, and it's too big for reading glasses.

Another problem is that those critical distances get obscured by friendly ship data.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

Grats Admiral...

6B2KxB1.jpg

I run dual monitors so an upgrade from 24" will be a bit pricey not to mention having to get multi monitor stand that can take them.

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,472 posts

Nice and congrats, you got one heck of a deal m8.

I run a 27" LED HP OMEN 144hz on my rig, right along side an 24"Acer LED panel I picked up for 100 bucks

Here's to good deals:cap_like:

Cheers

[PVE]
Members
14,695 posts
31,240 battles
12 hours ago, pikohan said:

What did it look like on your old monitor?

Looks wasn't the issue. The issue was size of things. It's the same Monitor mfg just this one is 5-6" bigger. Because it is bigger everything shown is bigger and thus far easier for me to see. As I said in OP it's like going from watching TV at home to the movie theater LOL.

Screen/picture quality may be better on this as well by a bit, I don't know, but just having the bigger view is a huge help to me and it lets me see more.

[PTRGT]
Members
479 posts
61,570 battles

Nice

I upgraded my Desktop monitor to a 4K 30" and love the extra viewing range and quality.

I know Warship isn't 4K  (yet) but I also edit videos for my You Tube Channel (Motorcycle stuff)

Then my wife retired and I got booted of the desktop and now play on a 17" Alienware laptop :cap_wander:

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
14,695 posts
31,240 battles
Just now, DeathsStalker said:

Nice

I upgraded my Desktop monitor to a 4K 30" and love the extra viewing range and quality.

I know Warship isn't 4K  (yet) but I also edit videos for my You Tube Channel (Motorcycle stuff)

Then my wife retired and I got booted of the desktop and now play on a 17" Alienware laptop :cap_wander:

I do a lot of video stuff and website work myself. Looking forward to that being easier on me now too.

• Cool 1

[BEA5T]
Members
5,489 posts
25,894 battles

There has always been a saying the "bigger is better...."   Now, there are no more excuses for that 97%.......  I did the same thing a couple of months ago as well and a clan mate suggested that phase II is to upgrade my video card as well....

• Cool 1

[PTRGT]
Members
479 posts
61,570 battles
1 minute ago, Asym_KS said:

There has always been a saying the "bigger is better...."   Now, there are no more excuses for that 97%.......  I did the same thing a couple of months ago as well and a clan mate suggested that phase II is to upgrade my video card as well....

One of the reasons I love WoWs is unlike  COD etc is that you don't have to have the best most expensive video card on the market to play on the highest settings. I'm running a good 6gig video card and I can see the coconuts on the trees on the islands

My only problem is I need a new PC since MS won't support Windows 7 in a few months and my Desktop is so old its not worth upgrading it to W10

[PVE]
Members
2,186 posts
7,673 battles
15 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

...a new Monitor LOL.

yYH2akO.jpg

Very nice monitor there, Admiral.  :cap_like:  I understand the need.  I have pretty questionable eyesight myself.  I use a 32", 720p TV that I bought years ago.  I remember paying $500 and having it shipped from a camera store in New Jersey.  :Smile_sceptic:

I noticed in your picture that you are about to give advice on playing French DDs in Coop.  Good on you, mate!  Helping out and all!  :Smile_trollface:

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
580 posts
26,317 battles
14 hours ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

The Admiral was a holy terror before the upgrade it's a bad bad day to be a bot now! :cap_rambo:

You are so right.  I've had him on my team in several matches and find it hard to finish ahead of him on the Team board.  I think he could see just fine.  :Smile_medal:

[PVE]
Members
2,186 posts
7,673 battles
1 minute ago, Joe_918145 said:

You are so right.  I've had him on my team in several matches and find it hard to finish ahead of him on the Team board.  I think he could see just fine.  :Smile_medal:

If WG finally adds achievements to co-op, that ought to be one.  Finish above the Admiral on the leaderboard and get a prize.  :Smile_medal:

[PVE]
Members
2,186 posts
7,673 battles
44 minutes ago, DeathsStalker said:

Nice

You must really love your wife!  lol :Smile_teethhappy: