You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

What Ship(s) Are You Currently Grinding?

78 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles

Just a conversation starter topic here.  What ship(s) are you currently grinding and what are your opinion(s)?

With a little bit of breathing room between the end of the French DD event and the WoWS Anniversary event upcoming, I'll be working on the following ships:

• Sovetsky Soyuz - a little over half way complete to Kremlin.  Not a bad ship, but hasn't really wowed me either.  Pretty much an all or nothing ship for me.  Either I have a fantastic game or a complete garbage performance.
  • Vauquelin - got started on the French DD line at T6 due to one of the early unlocks.  Have really, really enjoyed this line so far.  I can understand why it isn't for everyone, but I'm have a blast with it.  If Le Fantasque after this is anything like Le Terrible, it'll be a fun ride again.
  • Implacable - just researched and purchased her yesterday.  Haven't played a match yet, but I've been a bit underwhelmed with the British CV line after enjoying most of the IJN and USN CVs.  I'm hoping someone tells me that this line gets better along the way.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,388 posts
12,784 battles

Yorck - about halfway.  Better than I thought it would be.

New Mexico -   Fully upgraded.  Slow but angry.

Fuso - Stock.  Seems like a pig with a shotgun.  Have to get the upgrades (modules).

Bogatyr - Fully upgraded and unlocked the RU BB line.  Fun (minus CVs of course).

Slowly working up the Guephard.  Since I just started DDs, I am not certain how I feel about this thing.

[EQRN]
Members
2,299 posts
21,445 battles

Almost finished co op grinding the last upgrade for the Vladivostok.

Actively Random grinding the Mogami and Charles Martel, just over halfway through with both. Kagero, Lightning, Benson, Guepard, Fushun, N Cal, Monarch waiting in the wings for Random grinds.  

Scenario grinding Nürnberg, N Mex and QE to 12 pts, La Gal and Dallas to 14 pts.  

Ready to buy Akizuki, Hipper, Z23 and Republique if/when a tech tree sale comes along.  

So pretty busy :cap_rambo:

Edited by FrodoFraggin

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles

Been busy playing Friesland and Haida so not much grinding going on for me. The good news is I got the funds to buy Harugumo and Khabarovsk for any snowflake style event we may get.

Doing Guepard from time to time albeit not that impressed by the line so far. Maybe I will change my mind at Fantasque.

[CHASE]
Members
197 posts
4,535 battles

I'm currently on the Amagi and within striking distance (~30k experience) from the Izumo. I am a little apprehensive about this. Amagi herself, she's been rather hit-or-miss with me at least, especially against the higher-tier cruisers and battleships for some reason. Ideally, I'd like to get to Yamato by the end of the month, or in time for the anniversary if they have steel rewards for Tier 10s.

Members
1,654 posts
11,795 battles

Grinding up Ibuki to get to the Zao.

But pausing a bit, as I had some unexpected fun while doing the DD missions for the event.   Decided to shelf Zao pursuit and grind up all DD lines.    Working on DD-only ranked sprint (Guepard) and should have that finished today.     I'll work on DD play to get ready for the next sprint, and try it again. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,961 posts
23,301 battles

Buffalo, Lexington, Benson, Sinop. Wanted to have something going for each of the possible "in X ship type" missions.

Also wanted to revisit one of the German lines at some point, but uhh... screw that, they're all bad now.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,615 posts

None. Never really bought into the whole grind mentality, and WG's lack of effort in the game certainly isn't likely to change my mind.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,780 posts
24,954 battles

I am 'bout to continue the grind on the KM DD line. I'm at the T8 Z-23 so two more ships and then I'll have my 4th T-10 line. Just not sure Research Bureau is right for me so will probably continue finishing off other lines. I've got several sitting at T8.

[KSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
19,671 battles

Research Bureau regrind of choice was the German Cruiser line - fxped to the Nurnberg and easily got to Yorck using OPS.  Played Yorck about 7-8 times with 400xp camo to get to the Hipper, currently on the B hull grinding for the C hull.  Nurnberg was fun but fragile, Yorck was much better than i remembered it, Hipper is kind of weak in that it has a low fire chance and meh everything else - It will be the sad part of the grind I think.

Also have 138k fxp ground out on the Fantasque so I will be able to jump right into the Mogador in 8.8.

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,987 battles

The tier 7 US CL/CA in the one line and the tier 8 in the other after resetting the lines yesterday. 

[AAA]
Members
816 posts
20,092 battles
40 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Just a conversation starter topic here.  What ship(s) are you currently grinding and what are your opinion(s)?

With a little bit of breathing room between the end of the French DD event and the WoWS Anniversary event upcoming, I'll be working on the following ships:

• Sovetsky Soyuz - a little over half way complete to Kremlin.  Not a bad ship, but hasn't really wowed me either.  Pretty much an all or nothing ship for me.  Either I have a fantastic game or a complete garbage performance.
  • Vauquelin - got started on the French DD line at T6 due to one of the early unlocks.  Have really, really enjoyed this line so far.  I can understand why it isn't for everyone, but I'm have a blast with it.  If Le Fantasque after this is anything like Le Terrible, it'll be a fun ride again.
  • Implacable - just researched and purchased her yesterday.  Haven't played a match yet, but I've been a bit underwhelmed with the British CV line after enjoying most of the IJN and USN CVs.  I'm hoping someone tells me that this line gets better along the way.

Have multiple lines up to T8 but not actively grinding any out in a hurry, currently on BB with RU & Brits, DD with German, British, French and Pan Asian, cruisers German, French and IJN.

Those plus trying to get the legendary mods on Minotaur, Khab, Moskva and Republique. Probably too much really as I am progressing very slowly.

Might actually just try to get the remaining 10k to fxp from the Vauquelin tonight just to see if I can get the Mogador to finish some directives.

Edited by Rabin69

Members
172 posts
9,593 battles
11 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Research Bureau regrind of choice was the German Cruiser line - fxped to the Nurnberg and easily got to Yorck using OPS.  Played Yorck about 7-8 times with 400xp camo to get to the Hipper, currently on the B hull grinding for the C hull.  Nurnberg was fun but fragile, Yorck was much better than i remembered it, Hipper is kind of weak in that it has a low fire chance and meh everything else - It will be the sad part of the grind I think.

Also have 138k fxp ground out on the Fantasque so I will be able to jump right into the Mogador in 8.8.

I agree with you regarding the Nurnberg, I chose to stick with the torp. equipped hull. Also figuring out the best add-ons for the Molotov, any recommendations?  

[PVE]
Members
11,190 posts
19,795 battles

The ones marked as primary 289 ships and counting and I have to start working on the CVs too.

shot-19_09.11_11_19.36-0634.thumb.jpg.9d4ad37c49d15e3ed126cff0b23be518.jpg

• Cool 1

[KAG]
Members
1,370 posts
13,511 battles

On the Lightning for the second time, probably one of if not my favorite DD’s in the game.  Just and all around great ship.  6 kill game this morning, to toot my own horn.

Le Fantasque - very fun line of ships, can’t wait for Mogador to drop.

[PEKO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
28,089 battles

Waiting for the last two French DD being released.
Anything else is done.

Members
684 posts
8,718 battles

None. I don't grind.  I play what I feel like playing, and if I unlock the next ship, and I want to use it, I buy it.  I have enough free xp to unlock several tier 9's and a couple tier 10's, but no dire need for them.  None of the new ship lines they have added, have sparked any major interest to me.  The only tier 10's I somewhat want right now, are the Yamato and Minotaur.  I have had enough xp on the Amagi to unlock the Izumo for months, but I have the Musashi, so never really bothered.  I love my Neptune, and will unlock the Minotaur eventually. but not before I skill up a new captain for the Neptune.  I plan on keeping it.  So pretty much, until they release the Italian BB line, or if they actually release and do something interesting flavor wise, with Italian DD's, I'll just earn xp as it goes and play the ships I enjoy.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,226 posts
6,204 battles

I reset Yammy and Conq and skipped straight back to QE and Fuso with free xp. 

Havent even touched them with the magnitude of stuff being piled on us this update (CBs, Ranked, ST, clan stuff, etc) .... but the plan is to re-grind 2 lines a season (supplemented by but not reliant on free xp)

[PVE]
Members
1,147 posts
9,739 battles

Only a couple right now.

Lion, got about 200k XP left. The jury is still out on this one. So far it's okay, but impressive.

Alsace, got about 100k XP to go. So far it's a keeper though I am not able to brawl as often as I'd like to. It's miles better than FDG.

Eventually I will get back to working on Cleveland. But I am playing less than I used to so I am pacing myself

[ARGSY]
Members
25,533 posts
19,680 battles

Not really grinding anything at the moment; more in the way of happily meandering my way up all the tech trees at a relaxed pace and not caring too much how long I take to get there.

Debating with myself whether to pull the trigger on Buffalo. I have the XP; I have the permacamo I won for her earlier this year; I have a day and a half before the half-price sale on modules expires. After that, I will no longer have enough silver both to buy and to equip her at once. I could wait for a tech-tree sale, but I'll probably save more by getting her now when modules are at half price. I'm currently doing my research on which ones to buy.

Almost every other next-tier ship I could obtain is at least 30,000 XP away, so I've got time to save up for whatever comes next. The exception is the Seattle, which I have unlocked but have no real interest in obtaining (nor the Worcester, truth be known). I'm more interested in grinding out enough silver to obtain her in the event that she becomes a steel-snowflake ship at Christmas. I'd almost be prepared to blow half her credit value (buy, play once, sell) just to get the steel. 

The other exception, probably my most active grind right now is Fusilier ---> Bourrasque. I already have the Jaguar, Guepard and Vauquelin, but it seems a shame not to play out the whole line. Doing it in co-op so I don't hurt the baby seals fresh out of protected MM, and where games are short, fast-paced and FUN. 

Minsk ---> Ognevoi remains as unfinished business. I unlocked the B torps but didn't fit them because I'm scrimping and saving for Buffalo.

Long-term goals on some of my grinds depend on what Halloween serves up. If I happened to win Halloween permacamo for any of Shokaku, Lexington, Mogami or Chapayev, that would have the effect of focusing my grind efforts in the corresponding lines (currently at Ryujo, Ranger, Myoko, Budyonny). I have the collection permacamos for Tirpitz already, and my usual Scharnhorst brawling captain has become my regular Gneisenau captain, with the Scharn necessarily being neglected somewhat until her tech-tree sister's grind is complete. 

Very long term goals include Saint-Louis (Fr T9 CA), because I hold free permacamos for French cruisers to that point; and Le Fantasque, because I have the event camo, but not until I've had enough time in all the ships of that line to become more familiar with the no-smoke playstyle.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[DVYJC]
Members
4,499 posts
12,237 battles
53 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

If Le Fantasque after this is anything like Le Terrible, it'll be a fun ride again.

Le Fantasque is very similar with an edge to torpedoes over Le Terrible's edge in main battery power.

I'm currently mostly grinding credits. I have Baltimore and Benson unlocked but not purchased. In terms of ship lines, I have Cleveland, Edinburgh, and Monarch that I am intermittently grinding, but it's harder to grind those now that I'm out of the easy operations XP grinding tiers. I also started IJN destroyers, but I'm only at Tier III there. I need to grind Tier VIII French DDs since I didn't whale for Mogador. I hated them and wasn't going to grind, but I got a free Le Terrible and sometimes I do feel the need, the need for speed. That line doesn't really come into its own until Tier VIII, so now I'm curious about Mogador and Kleber.

Recently finished my CV grind. I just wanted to get Ranger so that I can complete CV campaign and directive tasks, so that was an abbreviated grind, really, but I have no ambitions for Lexington or Midway.

[COOP2]
Members
406 posts
10,581 battles

For me it's the same,

6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Not really grinding anything at the moment; more in the way of happily meandering my way up all the tech trees at a relaxed pace and not caring too much how long I take to get there.

more like a slow/not-in-any-hurry grinding process. I want to get some ships that are higher up from what I have but I'm in no hurry, in some cases I'm REALLY in no hurry (French DDs, US BBs, Russian cuisers)

The main ship I would say I am grinding now to get to the next one is Nagato so I can get to Amagi. I'm in no big rush but the Amagi is the next ship I want to give a try. Probably over 100K xp to go. Other than that, any other tier 6s/7s/8s will come by when they do.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,144 posts
26,918 battles

Finished regrind of German BBs to Tier X for the Research Bureau.

Continuing the regrind for Bismarck, FDG, GK to get all the modules again.  For FDG & Bismarck, currently only have equipped the upgraded hulls as part of the grind progression.

Currently working on VII Vauquelin.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Members
25,533 posts
19,680 battles
10 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Recently finished my CV grind.

10 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I also started IJN destroyers, but I'm only at Tier III there.

Advice for the future: If you have the space for it, I would (if I were you) keep the T4 Isokaze kicking around in port when I was done unlocking Mutsuki and Minekaze. You'll need her if you have any desire to possess the Hosho (and subsequently Ryujo), and it would be a waste of credits to sell her and then have to buy her back again somewhere down the road.

Your motivation for owning a T6 carrier is noted. Just suggesting that you should consider keeping your options open, since you haven't yet passed the branchpoint necessary to make the decision for the IJN CV line. Your call.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I don't really grind ships, I just have ships that are in progress.  When the XP dailies hit, I make sure to do the XP missions on those ships to help, and when there are events that call for XP on a certain type of ship I load my "incomplete" ships up with camo and flags to accelerate the event missions.  But I rarely play more than 1 or 2 battles a day in the "in progress" ships. 

Right now the tech tree ships that are currently in "progression" mode for me are:  St Louis (tier IX French), Minsk, Benson, Shiratsuyu, Z-46, Guépard, Le Fantasque (looks odd because I have those two from the French DD event).

Ships I have researched but have not yet added to my fleet:  Zao, Moskva, Neptune, Amagi, Lion, Richelieu, Lighting, and I think Kiev (Russian DD after Minsk on the gunboat line). 

Lines "completed":  Hindenburg, Des Moines, Worcester, Grosser Kurfurst, Montana.

Haven't touched the Russian BB line yet... not really interested.  Not sure how interested I'll be in the Pastabotes. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter