You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

What is the attraction with premium ships?

32 comments in this topic

Members
1,105 posts
3,232 battles

Lately I've noticed a big jump in tier 8 premiums wandering around in the game. Just wondering what the attraction is? Most are skippered by players with a lot of experience, only seen a handful of newbies steaming around in Tirpitzs. 

I know they make more $ than their free counterparts and they can be handy for captain training (don't know many players who use them for this) but they just seem astronomically expensive for the returns they give. Also I'm in Australia so add another 35% to their price.. 

I'm not saying they are bad ships, I have a few in my port (freebies) and they are just as fun to play as any other boat. Except that God awful French DD thing. 

Just wondering why so many people fork out the $ for these boats? In my WoT days the premiums were not that common and they usually performed a lot worse than their free cousins. L

• Cool 1

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles

prem ships in higher tiers don't require premium time to make a profit, so a one off kind of payment and still make money and fxp, this is just a guess as to why.

• Cool 2

[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,562 battles

Premiums in wows are typically as good or sometimes a bit better than tech tree ships. A lot of unique ships are released as tech tree ships. 

I Iike them because I can move a captain to them and not have to retrain them. T6 ranked?? Easy, move a t10 captain to an Arizona or perth or warspite or whatever and not waste resources training the Captain

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,549 posts
4 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

I know they make more $ than their free counterparts and they can be handy for captain training (don't know many players who use them for this)

Those two things are exactly what I use mine for.  Making money and training captains.  They are also an additional 100%/50%/whatever XP bonus per day.

Finally, some of them are plain fun ships.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,401 posts
26,840 battles

Premiums are good credit earners and help grind up your captains. I tend to use my Tirpitz once a day to farm some Free XP since I have the Tanastrich (sp) camo with the 100% bonus to free xp. It is the only ship I use full signals on to maximize my earnings and only once a day for the first win bonus. In one match I will earn many times the amount I get in a standard co-op match. I also have a 19 point Bismarck captain on her so all that xp is banked as elite captain xp. It works out well for me. I do something similar with my Missouri when I need credits. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,008 posts
5,814 battles

1. Better credit earning than tech tree ships in general. 

2. Captain retraining.

3. People find them fun/OP/unique/memey to play.

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles
11 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

In my WoT days the premiums were not that common and they usually performed a lot worse than their free cousins

This is the big difference between (most) WoT premiums and WoWS prems.  WoT tried to stick with the philosophy of "better than stock but worse than elite" but WoWS aimed for "competitive at the tier".  However, they still have all the economic bonuses and function as captain trainers, so overall there's more incentive to play prem ships.

There's also less variety in ships than in tanks, so if you like a particular ship's playstyle there's probably a premium near equivalent.  Good examples are Bismark/Tirpitz, NC/Alabama, Musashi/Yamato, and Prinz Eugen/Hipper.  But in general premiums usually reflect a certain line very well with only minor sidegrades that don't change much.  It's not like WoT where premiums usually have vastly different armor schemes, unconventional gun choices, or underpowered engines.

[RLGN]
Members
16,848 posts
29,524 battles
12 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I do something similar with my Missouri when I need credits. 

Looking back; I don’t think I’ve played Missouri since last year’s snowflake event.

It just never seemed to pay off as some claim, likely because I somehow manage to never be where it can.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,397 posts
12,111 battles

I suspect many players are taking out their tier 8s more often because under the new MM they are less likely to be pulled into tier 10 battles.

[PVE]
Members
9,042 posts
25,436 battles
56 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Lately I've noticed a big jump in tier 8 premiums wandering around in the game.

The T8 specific jump is probably due to the recent MM change...a lot of threads of people saying they were gonna park their T8s premiums because of the 60-80% chance of being in a T10 match was just too much.

W/the 40% chance of seeing T10 cap the party is back on for many.

Edit: Went out to smoke a cigarette before submitting & got ninja'd

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[ARGSY]
Members
2,016 posts
6,271 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

I know they make more $ than their free counterparts and they can be handy for captain training (don't know many players who use them for this) but they just seem astronomically expensive for the returns they give. Also I'm in Australia so add another 35% to their price.. 

Hello fellow Aussie! :Smile_honoring:

1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

Those two things are exactly what I use mine for.  Making money and training captains.  They are also an additional 100%/50%/whatever XP bonus per day.

Finally, some of them are plain fun ships.

This basically.

Many premiums offer a different play style to their tech tree nation counterparts. Different consumables and armament are very common.

If you also already have a trained captain on a particular high tier ship and want to use that 19pt goodness to hammer seals at low tiers there's another reason. In goes a big advantage.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,401 posts
26,840 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Looking back; I don’t think I’ve played Missouri since last year’s snowflake event.

It just never seemed to pay off as some claim, likely because I somehow manage to never be where it can.

It has been a while for me too, never seem to really need credits. IIRC I used her for this last "snowflake like" event and that was it. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,890 posts
24,775 battles

You have not played a Tirpitz have you?

If their was a triple strike award....

Torpedoes on the left and torpedoes on the right.

Secondary guns for days. 

Reasons for owning them:

Captain retraining.  Example, you just got the Freddie so you move your Bismark captain to him and retrain for 200k silver. Plop him I to Terpitz and all skills are 100% while you fully retain him to Freddie 100%.

#2 19 point captains can earn 1st win bonus on them for extra elite captain exp.

[DJL]
Members
242 posts
7,327 battles

To me playstyle. I use cv's alot and love my kaga with its throw enough **** at the wall torp style and HE bombs unlike rest with ap bombers. Some people get ships for xp its history so on but for me it's all about the play styles.

Edited by Athrun2021

[RCNW3]
Members
1,974 posts
22,590 battles

For me - not including just the fun some of the premium, higher tier ships are....

As someone not running premium time, I can run the premium ships and for the most part, get a positive credit return (no matter how the game went).  If I run my tier 9/10s, can get a negative credit return even in an OK game, depending if running premium consumables.  

I also don’t have to have a dedicated captain for my premiums, so I can pop in any line specific captain- if I am training so or just a 19 point captain I have in another ship.

I find I play my premiums at the high tiers far more then my tech tree ships (except for the DDs)

[BUOY]
Members
1,491 posts
17,533 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

It has been a while for me too, never seem to really need credits. IIRC I used her for this last "snowflake like" event and that was it. 

Same, but considering she's my most played ship in random by 99 games and bought much of my silver fleet I think I got my worth out of her.

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Before Big Mamie, Shiny horse and Tirpiz were often said to be the must have premiums for a long time. So I guess if people were looking through the past for the must haves, that may be why. Other than that I agree with what's said above.

• New T8 matchmaking
  • T8 providing the highest rewards while not spending too much on something. Like T9 ships tend to cost in store. 
  • Reduced operation costs to go with the increased earnings.
  • High rewards + extra xp gains help speed up captain training.
  • Unique quirks only found in them. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,221 posts
27,001 battles

Because there are solid High Tier Premiums.

Tirpitz - Has torps unlike Bismarck.

Massachusetts - Fantastic Secondaries, unlike North Carolina.

Georgia - Bigger guns and better Secondaries, unlike Iowa and even Missouri.  Ridiculously fast.

Jean Bart - MBRB consumable on a BB.

Missouri The Money Maker.

Benham - Torpedo Soup USN DD.

Smolensk - Dakka x16.

Alaska - Just look at Tier IX Ranked Stats and you'll see why Super Cruisers > Regular Cruisers in this tier.

Atago - Stealth IJN CA with Repair Party.  RP for a Cruiser below Tier IX is a very rare perk.

Prinz Eugen - Admiral Hipper with Repair Party.

Enterprise - High performance Tier VIII CV.  Poor Graf Zeppelin...

Lo Yang - Literally the USS Benson.  C-Hull configuration but with a powerful Hydro that only Z-52's Hydro can best.

Kidd - Tier VIII Fletcher but weaker torpedo armament.  But a beefy DD with lots of staying power, RP access, and fantastic AA.

Asashio - Battleship Nightmare.

Etc. to name a few.

This isn't World of Tanks.

Thank God.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KAPPA]
Members
3,170 posts
9,571 battles

Premiums typically are where you find the most unique ships. Crawling smoke is a mechanic no tech tree ship has. Neither is radar at T7. Then you have certain cruisers will a heal at T8 rather than 9 (ignoring the RN CLs, as healing is one of their themes). You have Yubari at T4 getting def AA super early, Black getting smoke and radar, Belfast getting smoke and radar, Mo getting radar, Asashio getting super deep water torps, and Heida getting that funky playstyle it gets. And don't even get me started on how weird the premium CVs all are. There's also the hot mess that is the war canoe Okhotnik

Certain ships are just something you see and say "that just sounds like a boatload of fun!" or something less cheesy.

[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,646 battles
8 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I know they make more $ than their free counterparts and they can be handy for captain training (don't know many players who use them for this) but they just seem astronomically expensive for the returns they give. Also I'm in Australia so add another 35% to their price.

There's a decent influx of "returning players" in Mass and JBs. I know a few folks who have returned that way. Which only adds to the higher tier folks who have no idea what they're doing in their ship aspect too.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,682 posts
19,754 battles
9 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Just wondering why so many people fork out the $ for these boats?

Here's a few examples from my fleet:

Warspite: for the history, and because she has been a consistent, solid performer ever since she was in the game. My fleet is very RN-centric, and once I seriously started climbing the battleship line I knew a premium trainer and first-win XP miner would come in handy. My Salem recently overtook her in the XP generation stakes, but of all the ships I have paid actual money for, she has given me the best bang for my buck. 

Sims: She was going cheap, and the people who were farming Operation Dynamo last year like there was no tomorrow were raving about her AA. I read the reviews, thought she sounded fun, and put the money down. I wasn't disappointed. If you need to farm torpedo hits for a directive, this is a great ship to take into co-op to do it for the bizarre reason that her long range torps are so weak. If you YOLO and dump both racks into a BB, it takes most or all of them to put her down and you won't have fired a whole bunch of torps just to get three hits before the target blows up and the rest aren't counted. And now that the bots have carriers, you can charge in and farm plane kills. Because she's VERY nimble, you can almost dogfight with the rocket planes when they come to attack you, keeping your AA-boosted side toward them and then flipping around and hitting the tilde key AGAIN as they egress to shoot them in the back.

Scharnhorst: For the history, and because of her torps and secondaries (and never having to face T10). Up until I ground up to Gneisenau and got Jean Bart for coal, she was my primary choice as a secondary-battery-hits-farming ship for directives (which didn't exist when I bought her but which justified the purchase big-time later). She was half-price in the August sale last year, and it seemed stupid to let such a well-regarded ship pass by. To a certain extent it was a "seemed like a good idea at the time" purchase, but she has proved her worth since.

Atlanta: The original dakka-meme ship. She farms main battery hits and fires, she used to farm planes like a MF, and with the return of bot carriers she still can. This one was actually gifted to me out of the blue, but I repaid the giver in kind with doubloons, so I guess you could say I paid for her. She also has torps, so she's an ideal choice to take out for directives where fires, torps, citadels, floods and main-battery hits are all on the agenda together.

These aren't the first or only premiums I ever bought, but I think you can see a trend - that the purchases here at least (and some of my other acquisitions, including coal ships) have mostly been with an eye to the specific things they can do for me, and because of the way they enhance my fleet's capabilities.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
1,969 posts

In many cases the premiums can be slighlty more powerful. Many premiums in my collection were pulled off the store for being overpowered. Sometimes WG doesn't test them long enough and a overpowered one will be put up for sale accidentally.

Furthermore... unlike World of Tanks... the premiums are competitive even at high tiers. With tech tree ships you can lose credits even if you win. These premiums offset the losses.

They also might have very unique traits. For example you can only get crawling smoke on several ships, like the HMCS Haida and HMAS Perth. A few have unique camouflages that give additional free XP or even more credits. One, HSF Harekaze, even included unique commanders and a premium camouflage for the Yamato. Or they can have interchangeable hull/gun load-outs to adapt to multiple lines. Others are just for the historical value...

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[MISRY]
Members
1,053 posts
7,674 battles

Captain training, coin, XP bonuses, etc. Premium ships are the way to go if you want to progress in the game up tech tree lines and be able to amass 19 point captains quickly.  I have almost every non-steel premium in the game. Just missing a couple of releases this year. Thought I had time on Bayard and then it left the shop. It's a one time investment in the game that will keep giving dividends as long as the lights are still on at the servers. I like progressing quickly in the game and I also like supporting the game. So, buying premiums is something I gladly do.  Plus, they are often unique and fun. A lot of the big draw in some of the high tier premiums is fun factor. Whether it's Mass with her secondaries, JB with her reload booster,  Benham with her wall of torps, etc, a lot of these ships are just plain fun.