You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Midshipman_Hornblower

AA is too powerful; CVs are helpless? Or are they?

16 comments in this topic

[TORCH]
Members
787 posts
20,323 battles

Ok, we've all seen posts about how WG has made AA so powerful that CV play is simply ruined.  CVs are now helpless...planes just melt...etc.  Well, I make no generalities, but I just saw this in a ranked game:

Ranked sprint, so all ships are T6.  We have 1 CV per side.  When the game ended, the red CV had 2 kills.  The CV on my team had a 6-kill Kraken.  Between them, that's 8 total kills, in a game with only 14 available targets.  It was a close game, and ended when our CV, the last man standing on our team, killed the last red BB.  Well done to both you guys!

• Boring 2

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,946 battles
18 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Ok, we've all seen posts about how WG has made AA so powerful that CV play is simply ruined.  CVs are now helpless...planes just melt...etc.  Well, I make no generalities, but I just saw this in a ranked game:

Ranked sprint, so all ships are T6.  We have 1 CV per side.  When the game ended, the red CV had 2 kills.  The CV on my team had a 6-kill Kraken.  Between them, that's 8 total kills, in a game with only 14 available targets.  It was a close game, and ended when our CV, the last man standing on our team, killed the last red BB.  Well done to both you guys!

Nope. AA is fine. Coming from someone doing the ranked sprint in Ryujo

[WOLF7]
Members
12,615 posts
25 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

The French DD release is over, so last patch AA got neutered again.:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,427 battles
40 minutes ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

Only 1/2 the ships of a random battle equals (approximately) 1/2 the overall AA/battle & allows you to play more aggressively w/less worry about running out of planes.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
23 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Only 1/2 the ships of a random battle equals (approximately) 1/2 the overall AA/battle & allows you to play more aggressively w/less worry about running out of planes.

This and I am going to guess that both CV players were well above average. While the skill floor with the rework is much lower than in the RTS days just like with every other ship the better players can make ships that are under powered in the hands of an average or less player look over powered.

• Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,427 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This and I am going to guess that both CV players were well above average. While the skill floor with the rework is much lower than in the RTS days just like with every other ship the better players can make ships that are under powered in the hands of an average or less player look over powered.

Yeah...there's probably a bit of that too.

Members
1,969 posts

Are you tired of getting your behind handed to you by seal-clubbers in CV's?

Are you just trying to have fun clubbing other seal-clubbers in your T3 Konig Albert, T4 Imperator Nikolai I, or T5 Guilio Ceasare ?

Do you cry that low tier AA is broken on the forums? Your Arkansas Beta "fake purple padding" statistics are plummeting?

Three words:

Katori T3

Yubari T4

Exeter T5

That's right Sports Fans! The three cruisers that everybody loves to hate at T3, T4, and T5 respectively now suddenly shine like a ray of hope!! After fully speccing out these gems with a 19pt captain gone AA monster on steroids, you'll be crying for matches with 6 CV's in them! Sit back and watch with delight as you crush the hopes and dreams of other naughty seal-clubbers while they try and spread their cancer...

Low tier AA isn't broken. Your brain is. Think outside of the box. Ditch your zero AA rated NooBB bote and graduate to the next level. A cruiser!

Hug your local CL player today and tell him how much you love him!

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,946 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

The French DD release is over, so last patch AA got neutered again.:Smile_teethhappy:

It did? I didn't see the patch notes for 8.7

AA seems like its in a good place. I can't loiter around anyone for too long before losing planes. I shoot lots down in my surface ships. Both seem generally satisfying.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,158 posts
9,567 battles

AA was in a terrible place. But that time has passed. I feel that AA is in a good place currently, CV and surface ship side. There are probably outliers that need tweaking, but as a whole AA feels good so long as you bother with sectors.

[ARGSY]
Members
2,016 posts
6,271 battles
5 hours ago, HyenaHiena said:

Low tier AA is oka, the problem is on high tier AAs.

Somewhat true.

Surge in CV numbers at low tiers while thinning at high could be due to player experience and MM caps. They seem to be more noticeable in their effectiveness due sheer numbers at tier 4 where their are less ships too shoot back at them on the surface as they dwell near the rear. High tiers require a more patient play style in all ships so if you go balls deep in your lil plane planes at X you get shredded. Somewhat like charging into the middle of a cap in a DD and blowing smoke only to be radared and blapped.

If more players likely had the talent to play CVs at VIII-X with the current AA there would be crying there too. Oh wait....there was.

MM cap should be just brought back to 2 per side max across the board.

4 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

That's right Sports Fans! The three cruisers that everybody loves to hate at T3, T4, and T5 respectively now suddenly shine like a ray of hope!! After fully speccing out these gems with a 19pt captain gone AA monster on steroids, you'll be crying for matches with 6 CV's in them! Sit back and watch with delight as you crush the hopes and dreams of other naughty seal-clubbers while they try and spread their cancer...

Low tier AA isn't broken. Your brain is. Think outside of the box. Ditch your zero AA rated NooBB bote and graduate to the next level. A cruiser!

Hug your local CL player today and tell him how much you love him!

Well said Electro...well said. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Sumseaman
  • Cool 2

[TORCH]
Members
787 posts
20,323 battles
8 hours ago, BrushWolf said:
8 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Lower AA density in Ranked?  Yes, I'd agree there is something to be said for this.

Both CV players well above average?  I didn't bother to check their stats, but I think we can take that as given.  These guys knew their business.  I said it before and I'll say it again.  They both did VERY well.  It was actually fun watching them from the bleachers.

But I think the key to what BrushWolf said is in the last sentence.  A good player can make any ship look OP, and a bad player can make any ship look weak.  Here, at last, is the truth of WoWS.  When you have problems with a ship, look to her captain for explanations.  Of course, ships ARE different.  The server averages tell us that.  But at any given tier, player skill counts for more.

Lest I be accused of some sort of elitism, let me make clear that this includes me.  In fact, I don't play CVs at all.  Why?  Because I am a terrible CV player.  I got 2 of 'em during the RN CV event.  Took both out in training rooms, just to figure out how they worked.  I found I could USUALLY hit islands with aircraft ordnance.  Anything smaller, not so much.  Anything actually moving?  Hardly ever.  In other words, any CV I play would be a seriously underpowered sitting duck.  Which may be why I have such admiration for really good CV play when I see it.

[-N-]
Members
2,270 posts
15,527 battles

CVs Top or Mid Tier in any given match are fine, Bottom Tier can be a challenge as it always has because 2 tiers of AA is a lot to swallow as a CV.  But if a CV Driver manages his planes well you can do okay.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,271 posts
8,371 battles
9 hours ago, Midshipman_Hornblower said:

One Battle

giphy.gif