Jump to content
Capt_Ahab1776

competitive vs casual

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,873
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,206 posts
20,495 battles

Hello WoW/WG community. Was reading a post and heard the term competitive. Most have read , said, or both "competitive" and "casual". What's your take on the two terms. :cap_cool:

 

*please keep it constructive*

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,034
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

Unlike the extreme competitive players like to claim most casual players play to win but if they don't it isn't the end of the world and they are happy as long as they played their best.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,423
[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,227 posts
6,204 battles

Like how I would seperate/define those terms?

 

Casual is random and PVE battles, and ranked sprint :Smile-_tongue:.  Competetive is clan and ranked battles. They play completley differently, and everybody is a little bit of each. A great competetive player may not be a hood casual player.

Edited by _BBaby
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,272 posts
15,135 battles
6 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Like how I would seperate/define those terms?

 

Casual is random and PVE battles, and ranked sprint :Smile-_tongue:.  Competetive is clan and ranked battles. They play completley differently, and everybody is a little bit of each. A great competetive player may not be a hood casual player.

As far as game modes go, I agree.

My general mindset is typically quite competitive, since I grew up participating in many competitive activities. It's carried over to vidya games as well. I play this game quite casually as far as modes go, but still have somewhat of a competitive mindset.

edit: I wont normally take it too far, as I realize people that play random mostly just want to have fun. So I dont dictate how players should play. I just go with the flow. 

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,514
[WOLF7]
Members
12,615 posts
7 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Hello WoW/WG community. Was reading a post and heard the term competitive. Most have read , said, or both "competitive" and "casual". What's your take on the two terms. :cap_cool:

 

*please keep it constructive*

 

Spoiler

frYw3R1.png

The vast majority of players are casual.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
640
[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
11,183 battles

The difference between the two is one is play for fun and the other is play to win.

As to my orientation, I'm "casually competitive."

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
245
[WOLF8]
Members
764 posts
9,801 battles

My take:

competitive == stat junkies

casual == fun

I classify myself as casual.  I suspect there are players in both categories that "play to win" including myself....

Edited by Slammer58
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
895
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,370 posts
24,715 battles
 
 
 
 
12 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

As to my orientation, I'm "casually competitive."

:Smile_great: Well said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,043
[SALVO]
Members
26,737 posts
32,126 battles

First, I think that it's not as cut and dried as you either A or B.  Secondly, there are absolutely some people who self-identify as casuals who truly don't give a flip about winning.  They won't do anything to help a team win, like capping or whatever.  They only care about two things.  Shooting the enemy.  And sinking enemy ships.  And if it's not one of those two things, they don't give a damn.  Now, not all casuals are like this.  But many are.  And those that are, are being very selfish in their play.  About the most one can do is to try to get them to shoot at some wounded ship that needs to die ASAP for the sake of the team.  They may not care about "the sake of the team", but shooting at a wounded enemy and maybe getting the kill is something that they care about.  So, about the best way to get some team work out of them is to try to use the F3 focus fire function key to point out ships for them to engage.  And in my experience, almost everyone is willing to shoot at wounded enemies, no matter how competitive or casual they are.  If they're not willing to do it, either they're not paying attention to chat or they're actively trying to sabotage their team's chances.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,043
[SALVO]
Members
26,737 posts
32,126 battles
3 minutes ago, Slammer58 said:

My take:

competitive == stat junkies

casual == fun

I classify myself as casual.  I suspect there are players in both categories that "play to win" including myself....

My take:

Winning == fun.

Losing == not fun, except perhaps in a very close, well fought battle, which aren't that common.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,282
[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,513 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

If they're not willing to do it, either they're not paying attention to chat or they're actively trying to sabotage their team's chances.

Or filthy trash playing to save a star, and expecting the team to carry their stinking worthless behinds into a win.

Like the wagon rut scum who got a High Calibur, but didn’t sink a bloody thing in a recent sprint until they got rammed at the end of a loss.

That player didn’t lose anything, why should they care what happens?

11 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Winning == fun.

Losing == not fun, except perhaps in a very close, well fought battle, which aren't that common.

Had a Ranked like that this afternoon, unlike the other battle mentioned above.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
479
[A-D-F]
Members
1,443 posts
20,429 battles

Competitive for World of Warships is tournaments like. Supremacy League, King of the Sea, Shipstorm, etc and clan battles. Anything else is casual, including Ranked as it is just a grindy smaller version of Random. 

In the Hoperations Discord, we joke that we are competitive farmers as it is always a race to see who can do the most damage in Operations with our organized divisions and experienced regulars. 

For myself, I have been in both scenes and probably fall under casually competitive like Cpt_Cupcake said for himself earlier in this thread. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,043
[SALVO]
Members
26,737 posts
32,126 battles
45 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Or filthy trash playing to save a star, and expecting the team to carry their stinking worthless behinds into a win.

Like the wagon rut scum who got a High Calibur, but didn’t sink a bloody thing in a recent sprint until they got rammed at the end of a loss.

That player didn’t lose anything, why should they care what happens?

Had a Ranked like that this afternoon, unlike the other battle mentioned above.

Prophet, the reality is that it's entirely possible for players to contribute a lot to their team's efforts, do a lot of damage, and so on, and yet still not sink a ship.  Is it the player's fault is he does 99% of the damage to an enemy ship and then a friendly happens to take that enemy ship's last few HP?  I think not.  It's not kill stealing.  It's just kill securing.  Sometimes you have a lot of kills with not that much damage because you're securing the kills.  And sometimes you're doing most of the heavy lifting, i.e. most of the damage, but someone else is securing the kills on the ships you've been hammering.  Neither is a bad thing and shouldn't be seen that way.   Heck, kill securing low HP enemies is what non-BB ships are pretty good at, while BBs tend to be best at hammering the enemy and doing lots of raw damage.  Cruisers and DDs have higher rates of fire, and can be in a position to get those kill secures faster than BBs can be.  And CVs can be good at securing kills on enemy ships that are trying to hide from your team, for obvious reasons.

I'd be more ticked at the BB player who was sniping and NOT doing much damage.  If you have some sniping BB player who is piling up the damage, that means that your team ought to take advantage of the badly wounded enemy ships the BB is leaving for you to sink, rather than complain about him being a save a star sniper.  The sniper who isn't doing squat is the player to get annoyed at.  Or the player who goes off on his own, rather than staying with the team, i.e. the player who is treating ranked like it's just a small team random battle, rather than a form of team battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,282
[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,513 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Prophet, the reality is that it's entirely possible for players to contribute a lot to their team's efforts, do a lot of damage, and so on, and yet still not sink a ship.  Is it the player's fault is he does 99% of the damage to an enemy ship and then a friendly happens to take that enemy ship's last few HP?  I think not.  It's not kill stealing.  It's just kill securing.  Sometimes you have a lot of kills with not that much damage because you're securing the kills.  And sometimes you're doing most of the heavy lifting, i.e. most of the damage, but someone else is securing the kills on the ships you've been hammering.  Neither is a bad thing and shouldn't be seen that way.   Heck, kill securing low HP enemies is what non-BB ships are pretty good at, while BBs tend to be best at hammering the enemy and doing lots of raw damage.  Cruisers and DDs have higher rates of fire, and can be in a position to get those kill secures faster than BBs can be.  And CVs can be good at securing kills on enemy ships that are trying to hide from your team, for obvious reasons.

I'd be more ticked at the BB player who was sniping and NOT doing much damage.  If you have some sniping BB player who is piling up the damage, that means that your team ought to take advantage of the badly wounded enemy ships the BB is leaving for you to sink, rather than complain about him being a save a star sniper.  The sniper who isn't doing squat is the player to get annoyed at.  Or the player who goes off on his own, rather than staying with the team, i.e. the player who is treating ranked like it's just a small team random battle, rather than a form of team battles.

I understand the gist of what you’re saying, but all I saw was a reprobate who dithered behind everyone else and farmed off others taking risks until it no longer mattered.

If they had turned the game around in the end, that might have been one thing, but they just came out and died in the end without even trying.

Bloody hell that burned me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,043
[SALVO]
Members
26,737 posts
32,126 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I understand the gist of what you’re saying, but all I saw was a reprobate who dithered behind everyone else and farmed off others taking risks until it no longer mattered.

If they had turned the game around in the end, that might have been one thing, but they just came out and died in the end without even trying.

Bloody hell that burned me up.

I can understand that.  Honestly, I'm not that keen on guys in BBs hanging WAYYYY back and sniping, particularly in ranked battles.  They're sort of taking their HP out of the team's HP pool, so they're not damage sharing for their team.  Mind you, I don't think that people should be just getting in close for the sake of being damage sponges either.  You should always work your armor in a BB to try to minimize the amount of damage you take, so that you can stay in the fight longer and do more damage and help kill more enemy ships (whether you get the kill or a team mate does).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,251 posts
9,948 battles

For the first years "Competitive" for me meant playing random to maximize the money and research I could earn in order to get the ships I wanted. In the last year I stopped buying premium and ships, as I had almost all the ships I wanted. Recently I have started playing Coop only for the first time and is a blast to take the full fleet out without the stress of *losing.*

I'm glad I finally made it to Coop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,885
[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,427 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

My take:

Winning == fun.

Losing == not fun, except perhaps in a very close, well fought battle, which aren't that common.

 

 

Kind of a contradiction here.

Distinction that losing isn't fun only if you are steamrolled but winning is fun if you steamroll the other team.

Winning in a steamroll is only fun if WR stats are your major concern. Most don't consider steamroll wins fun because they just dropped a bunch of 1 time use perks on a garbage XP result...even in a win.

Close games are always fun though win or lose...unless it's your 5th or 6th (or more) straight close loss...lol.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,398
[WPORT]
Members
11,632 posts
15,954 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Unlike the extreme competitive players like to claim most casual players play to win but if they don't it isn't the end of the world and they are happy as long as they played their best.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,003
[KAPPA]
Members
3,158 posts
9,567 battles

It's a mindset, plain and simple, and the two rarely mesh well. Competitive players will typically play any mode they go into in tryhard mode.

Co-op? It's a damage race, so anything below two people's worth of rewards isn't good enough, with more being preferable. 

Operations? Damage race with added objectives. Best place to farm Fxp consistently, so I see it more as busy work than actually fun. Too predictable. Also frustrating, as the quality of players typically is closer to the actually hindering success side than not, or at least it feels like it. You have BBs behind cruisers most times Narai is available. Were I to make pre-made teams, it'd be better, but I honestly only typically play this mode because my boyfriend likes it, so I don't usually have reason to bother. It's a less fun version of co-op with too much risk due to the lopsided nature and matchmaking being bogged down by people that don't know how to play DD and are dead weight or are extremely passive BBs. My boyfriend and I can get in first by a considerable margin and still lose due to the team we get.

Random? This is where things get a bit more... diverse. You have people who want to win more, and you have people who want to top the score boards. Often these things overlap, but not always, especially in a DD.

Ranked? A wretched hive and scum and villainy. A "competitive" mode that honestly is anything but, and instead it's effectively Random with added salt and lower numbers. This mode too has its factions. People that take ships to farm to almost always save a star, and people that hate people that farm to save a star.

Clan battle? Never been there due to lacking in clan members. I assume it's the actual competitive mode, as you have proper teams rather than running on hopes and dreams.

What are casuals like? No idea. I focus on myself and improving based on what mistakes I make. I can change myself, but there is little I can do to change my fellows in a match. Unless you literally throw an already won match by not letting yourself win on points or are AFK the whole match, I don't generally care what my team does so long as they don't die in the first minutes. I will try to support my team unless their choices are completely suicidal. Is a BB pushing into a cap? If I'm a BB, I'll go in with them. It's often not the best plan, but better to both get hurt and succeed than for them to die alone and accomplish nothing. A rush of 2 BBs is also a lot scarier than one, and the team will more often follow the lead of the two.

Like the casuals, though, I too hate the snobish elitists. It's why "Ranked" isn't fun to me, as the level of toxicity is unnecessary. I see it more as a good place to grind lines of ships that don't up tier well. It's not even properly competitive. It doesn't have leaderboards, so there's no best players, only people with enough time to bother grinding for who knows how many matches. If I were inclined, I could rank out, but I wouldn't enjoy it. If everyone had unlimited time, most people could. And that's the problem. It's not a test of skill, but a test of time divided by skill. Clan battles, on the other hand, is a test of skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,282
[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,513 battles
59 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

For the first years "Competitive" for me meant playing random to maximize the money and research I could earn in order to get the ships I wanted. In the last year I stopped buying premium and ships, as I had almost all the ships I wanted. Recently I have started playing Coop only for the first time and is a blast to take the full fleet out without the stress of *losing.*

I'm glad I finally made it to Coop.

For me, I wanted to reach 10k each PvP and PvE somewhat vaguely at the same time, after which all bets are off.

Most likely I’ll go 95-ish% Co-op.

I have nearly a billion credits, and 18mil potential xp; so it’s not like I need to play Randoms to make book.

Pretty much have all the ships I want as well; unless WG ever gives my Bogue a reprieve from their digital Suisun Bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,501
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,620 posts
4,774 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I'm casual.

Yep.  I've done a few Ranked Sprint battles.  I'd like to try some Clan Battles (the team style, not the Naval Battles).  But it never happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×