Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Major_Victory

Carrier help needed manual torpedo release

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
12 posts

Hi all, recently wanted to try carriers out. Failing badly at it. I see videos about dropping Torps from the bombers manually, I understand part of the process is holding alt and steering the green torpedo aim point around the enemy ship, but what button press releases the Torps at this point? Sometimes I line up a nice tight spread and the Torps don't release or they drop in the opposite direction. Any help would be great because I'm thinking of dropping the class. Thanks! 

Beta Testers
68 posts
1,511 battles

Ok here is the process

make sure your plane is heading in the direction you want to drop, straight run is the best

click on the ship like you are doing an auto drop.  dont auto drop just click on it so you can see something

A circle will appear around the ship.

remember that circle radius, you have to choose your manual drop before the planes reach that distance or they will either auto drop if you have that selected or wont drop at all if you didnt choose any attack pattern and you will have to swing back around.  consider that the point of no return

Hold down alt and choose your drop path. You have until you reach that aforementioned distance to change it. You can continue to change your manual drop as long as you are still far enough away.

once the plane reaches the point of no return it takes control and drops if you have a path selected (auto or manual) or flys by if nothing is selected  and you have to get back outside the no return radius to try again

If you have an attack pattern selected, the planes will do the rest, Just watch them drop or go back to other things

You want to come in straight, so you will spend less time in AA, and the ship wont move too fast out of your attack pattern.

Good luck

Object_X

Edited by Object_X
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
177 posts
711 battles

iChase has made some pretty darn good videos on youtube about the manual release for torpedo squadrons.  Check them out.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
12 posts

Great info thanks everyone, I've watched those vids main issue was I didn't know the actual key press to drop the torps but according to the replies here it seems that once I have an attack pattern selected they will drop automatically. I will experiment later! Hope I can get it down so I can be more help when I play this beast. Thanks all!

Members
3 posts
406 battles

one question.. ive been doing this manual torping but why is my torp spreading like crap? when i-chase was doing this manual torp run his torps are in tight straight path.. how do i do that?

• Cool 1

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

one question.. ive been doing this manual torping but why is my torp spreading like crap? when i-chase was doing this manual torp run his torps are in tight straight path.. how do i do that?

Which CV line are you playing?  IJN or US? 

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Great info thanks everyone, I've watched those vids main issue was I didn't know the actual key press to drop the torps but according to the replies here it seems that once I have an attack pattern selected they will drop automatically. I will experiment later! Hope I can get it down so I can be more help when I play this beast. Thanks all!

Hold down alt and then left click to order the planes to execute a manual run.

If your keybindings are messed up for some reason, try deleting your preferences.xml.

[G-REB]
Beta Testers
358 posts
14,827 battles

the drop arcs on IJN Torp bombers were nervfed, so you need to get better at aiming at an angle if you want to with with more than 1 or 2.  (IE your planes come in at like a 45 angle so that the left or right torp is the first to hit and hope the person you are shooting is afk/bad

Members
3 posts
406 battles

im using IJN and the minimum fuse delay spread is wider than the entire length of a battleship of the same tier. all i can do is a max of 2 hits even at a stationary bb.. not good at all for manual torping. :(

Members
41 posts
427 battles

Remember that you have to left click to manual drop BEFORE your planes hit the circle. Hold Alt and move that circle closer to the target then left click when your planes are about to hit the circle.

[RAZGZ]
Beta Testers
814 posts
14,914 battles

Yeah. Check this out:

It looks like with practice it's way to easy.   Torp bombers didn't have near that level of turning capability and after watching that this turn into the bombers starategy against a guy that knows what they are doing is just [edited].

[IP]
Beta Testers
330 posts

i am really disappointed with this manual torp bombing spread.. i think im going back to bb.. :))

Gotta also be careful for cruiser defensive fire or anything attacking your bombers.  Any fighters or a cruiser with a defensive fire buff attacking them will throw off their dropping bubble considerably.
Edited by GenSphinx

Members
117 posts
4,447 battles

Why? Is this information irrelevant? Is the video filled with wrong information?

Necro is a kids term, however there is no actual logic behind it. Otherwise every religion, every piece of history & literature, every book is this stupid irrelevant word.

Members
1 post
427 battles

Ok so i just started playing aircraft carriers and i have been trying to learn how to manual launch. The thing is that i play on mac and the alt key is the option key and im not sure how to manual launch on mac. Can someone help me?

[EATER]
Beta Testers
1,946 posts
9,377 battles
On 7/14/2015 at 0:21 AM, Minmatar_Noob said:

Panic mechanic possibly.

If a Cv fighter or a bb/ca scout fighter is locked to your bomber, it'll panic and it's spread will go wide.

Defensive aa does the same to any planes within the parent ships aa radius.

Members
16 posts
426 battles
On 3/19/2015 at 10:48 AM, Major_Victory said:

Hi all, recently wanted to try carriers out. Failing badly at it. I see videos about dropping Torps from the bombers manually, I understand part of the process is holding alt and steering the green torpedo aim point around the enemy ship, but what button press releases the Torps at this point? Sometimes I line up a nice tight spread and the Torps don't release or they drop in the opposite direction. Any help would be great because I'm thinking of dropping the class. Thanks! 

Hey, it doesn’t seem to work for iMac computers...  Is there a way to fix this?

Sign in to follow this