You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

CV Win Rate and Latest AA Buffs

23 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,843 posts
31,248 battles

So I looked at WoWs-numbers for the first time in a couple of weeks and discovered that (a) my win rate is declining, (b) XP is going down for the first time ever, and (c) it looks like playing CVs is the cause of the negative stats. 

Until this last patch, I was doing fairly well with the new Lexington. Kaga worked ok too, but not as well. It felt like my average damage was down, but I didn’t realize how badly I was doing in terms of win rate. 

In the olden days, I often broke out a CV when I had a string of losses in other classes.  Even recently I could count on Lexington to win a good bit above 50%.  Not anymore.  

I know that some of you can adapt and overcome the new AA changes. I’m thinking that it’s time for me to quit playing CVs.  WG your rework was ... well draw your own conclusions. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[POP]
Members
509 posts
5,961 battles
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

So I looked at WoWs-numbers for the first time in a couple of weeks and discovered that (a) my win rate is declining, (b) XP is going down for the first time ever, and (c) it’s looks like playing CVs is the cause of the negative stats. 

Until this last patch, I was doing fairly well with the new Lexington. Kaga worked ok too, but not as well. It felt like my average damage was down, but I didn’t realize how badly I was doing in terms of win rate. 

In the olden days, I often broke out a CV when I had a string of losses in other classes.  Even recently I could count on Lexington to win a good bit above 50%.  Not anymore.  

I know that some of you can adapt and overcome the new AA changes. I’m thinking that it’s time for me to quit playing CVs.  WG your rework was ... well draw your own conclusions. 

If you don't like how they play, show wg by taking a break.  Ultimately the thing they seem to pay attention to the most is player involvement.   8.5 and 8.6 hit CV's pretty hard and it showed with declining numbers.   8.7 looks to be a little better but only time will tell.  The numbers are a little deceiving early on because people are playing just to try them out and the full impact of the new aa changes won't be obvious until the surface ship get a good grasp on how to use it.

I can say I played about 10 cv matches in my Enterprise and Saipan yesterday.  I noticed AA seems inconsistent from ship to ship.  Some ships were really strong and some were not.  It appears if the captain uses their new aa mechanic effectively they would kill quite a few planes regardless of the ships actual aa rating, if the captain did not they did not shoot down many planes.   I did not try attacking anything like a minotaur or a Worcester so I cant comment on that.

Enterprise still excels at killing dd's which makes it more impactful early game however the Saipan is better against BB'S so late game she seems better at carrying if the dd's are dead.  The Saipan still suffered from it's small hangar size and slow regen rate.  Getting deplaned even in a t8 match is a real possibility,  even more so now that ships with typically low aa rating can be spec'd and played in a way that causes unavoidable plane losses.  T10 is even worse. 

I will say as a person who plays all ship types if anyone from t6-10 is complaining about CV'S being op right now they are ignorant.  I think WG is getting close but they are not there yet.  CV's need a little more love at this point for me to start playing them constantly again.

• Cool 4

[-VT-]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,615 posts
4,270 battles
15 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

If you don't like how they play, show wg by taking a break.  Ultimately the thing they seem to pay attention to the most is player involvement.   8.5 and 8.6 hit CV's pretty hard and it showed with declining numbers.   8.7 looks to be a little better but only time will tell.  The numbers are a little deceiving early on because people are playing just to try them out and the full impact of the new aa changes won't be obvious until the surface ship get a good grasp on how to use it.

I can say I played about 10 cv matches in my Enterprise and Saipan yesterday.  I noticed AA seems inconsistent from ship to ship.  Some ships were really strong and some were not.  It appears if the captain uses their new aa mechanic effectively they would kill quite a few planes regardless of the ships actual aa rating, if the captain did not they did not shoot down many planes.   I did not try attacking anything like a minotaur or a Worcester so I cant comment on that.

Enterprise still excels at killing dd's which makes it more impactful early game however the Saipan is better against BB'S so late game she seems better at carrying if the dd's are dead.  The Saipan still suffered from it's small hangar size and slow regen rate.  Getting deplaned even in a t8 match is a real possibility,  even more so now that ships with typically low aa rating can be spec'd and played in a way that causes unavoidable plane losses.  T10 is even worse. 

I will say as a person who plays all ship types if anyone from t6-10 is complaining about CV'S being op right now they are ignorant.  I think WG is getting close but they are not there yet.  CV's need a little more love at this point for me to start playing them constantly again.

I dont +1 a CV thread very often. In fact it is a rare sight to see indeed... But this one deserves it.

Good post.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,118 posts
12,359 battles

It might be the CV's but I think it is more likely that you are having a bad streak. Ride it out, maybe take a short break for a few days to do something else.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,843 posts
31,248 battles
On 9/2/2019 at 2:13 PM, BrushWolf said:

It might be the CV's but I think it is more likely that you are having a bad streak. Ride it out, maybe take a short break for a few days to do something else.

Thanks but it’s more than a few days. I can still have good matches. Got my twelfth Solo Warrior on Sunday with a CV, but it seems harder than ever to contribute consistently.

I uninstalled WoWs earlier tonight. A survey popped up and I checked “unhappy with recent changes to game” (paraphrasing). 

[EMAG]
Members
113 posts
1,817 battles
On 9/3/2019 at 6:57 PM, Landing_Skipper said:

Thanks but it’s more than a few days. I can still have good matches. Got my twelfth Solo Warrior on Sunday with a CV, but it seems harder than ever to contribute consistently.

I uninstalled WoWs earlier tonight. A survey popped up and I checked “unhappy with recent changes to game” (paraphrasing). 

I just realized that the Lexington in real life was 80% the length of USS Midway, but the game has them the same size!!!!  She was built on the hull design of Montana which gave her double hauls and very good torpedo and mine protection.  She was the first "super Carrier"  

[EMAG]
Members
113 posts
1,817 battles

Just played Lexington and Midway in 0.8.8, my planes did not stand a chance.   Few torpedo bombers got through (reality), but the other types did so poorly that I would never own Lady Lex or Midway..... just no fun.

[POP]
Members
509 posts
5,961 battles
6 minutes ago, Dominator13 said:

i just saw battleships with 100 AA rating.

Just wth!?

The nice thing about 8.7 is in order to get the full benefit of that AA rating the captain has active functions that he/she has to do repeatedly.  Even a Worcester is vulnerable if it sits still and ignores the priority sector function. 

I personally am totally fine with a ship when played correctly being able to shoot down all my planes so long as I am able to punish them when they do not play correctly. 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,843 posts
31,248 battles
On 9/8/2019 at 2:00 PM, HallaSnackbar said:

The nice thing about 8.7 is in order to get the full benefit of that AA rating the captain has active functions that he/she has to do repeatedly.  Even a Worcester is vulnerable if it sits still and ignores the priority sector function. 

I personally am totally fine with a ship when played correctly being able to shoot down all my planes so long as I am able to punish them when they do not play correctly. 

I am not fine with having an entire squadron of dive bombers disappear because a Friesland was hiding behind an island with his AA off then turned on Defensive AA when my planes flew over him. It took far less time than it took you to read that sentence. It was like an Atlanta in smoke with Tier6 planes in the RTS days. 

[POP]
Members
509 posts
5,961 battles
5 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I am not fine with having an entire squadron of dive bombers disappear because a Friesland was hiding behind an island with his AA off then turned on Defensive AA when my planes flew over him. It took far less time than it took you to read that sentence. It was like an Atlanta in smoke with Tier6 planes in the RTS days. 

I hate to say it but that is no different than getting ambushed by a dd that was hidden behind a mountain.   You have to be selective about where you fly when there are high aa boats that are still unspotted on the map.

[SYJ]
Members
260 posts
10,081 battles

I recently had a double Tier 6 CV match, Tier 5~7. I was in a Ryujo our other CV was a Furious, the match went a full 20 min

The interesting part was that the enemy Duke of York  had 69 plane kills [ Insert Meme Here ], 40 of those planes were mine ( excluding summoned fighters )
My total plane losses for the match were 78 planes ( including summoned fighters ), total plane loss for my team were 133.

No I did not suicide full squadrons into DoY's AA, but even a bunch of same or lower tier ship clumped up together, will kill planes fast.

It gets worse at Tier 8, every match in the Enterprise I was bottom tier an I guess that has to do with low CV population outside tier 4.

Winning in CV is now less dependent on your skill, and more on your teams ability to play the objective while staying afloat long enough for you to have some influence on the outcome.     

Edited by Sammy_Small

[KOHAI]
Members
1,668 posts
4,305 battles
On 9/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, Landing_Skipper said:

So I looked at WoWs-numbers for the first time in a couple of weeks and discovered that (a) my win rate is declining, (b) XP is going down for the first time ever, and (c) it looks like playing CVs is the cause of the negative stats. 

It feels very similar to the old CVs at this point. I am having the same success I had in pre-rework Shoukaku with the current Shoukaku (60% WR, 55-60k avg damage, high KDR.) However, its very frustrating, and similarly difficult as the old CVs, although the fun of shutting down an enemy CV is gone now, a shame too, as that was most of the fun. I would say that at this point, the rework has fixed nothing, and it feels very similar to old CVs, but without those ever so satisfying dev-strikes. 

• Cool 1

[-HMCS]
Members
6 posts
5,247 battles

This hate for CV's is similar to the for Arty in WoT for basically the same reasons.  Right now T8 CV's need some love, they are under powered, planes are easily killed from distance, and it's far too easy to sink them now.  I enjoy playing all of the ships, CV's are relatively new to me so they are fun as well, however, in the current game they aren't cutting it at T 8.....I've found T 10 and lower Tiers are fine.  Maybe the solution is to remove the T 8's.  How you plan to balance a tier that is thrown in with T 10's that won't be OP for T 6/7's is going to be difficult.

[-TOG-]
Members
164 posts
1,572 battles

The CV's are now zero fun to play. There is no counterplay for the planes. If the team groups up, I get to do nothing for the first 15 minutes, and then contribute nothing because by the time they're split up the game is decided. 

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
204 posts
9,010 battles
15 hours ago, Toxie2725 said:

The CV's are now zero fun to play. There is no counterplay for the planes. If the team groups up, I get to do nothing for the first 15 minutes, and then contribute nothing because by the time they're split up the game is decided. 

If your team is simply throwing then yes, it's going to be a [edited] game. But that's true for everyone on your team. 

In all other cases I disagree with your assessment.  Ships will start falling out of formation after the first 5 minutes or so.  Up until that time, take advantage by making sure you've found their entire team.

If you are facing one or two huge blobs, enjoy the easy win as they get cross shotted into oblivion. 

[POP]
Members
509 posts
5,961 battles
1 hour ago, Tibson said:

If your team is simply throwing then yes, it's going to be a [edited] game. But that's true for everyone on your team. 

In all other cases I disagree with your assessment.  Ships will start falling out of formation after the first 5 minutes or so.  Up until that time, take advantage by making sure you've found their entire team.

If you are facing one or two huge blobs, enjoy the easy win as they get cross shotted into oblivion. 

Pretty much this.  CV's for the most part lack the alpha damage and are too inconsistent with dots to kill any ships with heals and repairs and your planes can't handle any stacked aa.  This means you are completely reliant on your team keeping it together long enough for the battle to progress to a point where you can be impactful.   The problem is many cv captains have no patience,  they throw their planes face first into heavy aa and have no planes left later on when they could be wrecking face.

[MASSD]
Members
474 posts
26,529 battles

give us back our original manual Aa capt skill and let us focus our AA on the ATTACKING planes who cares about the rest of the squadron they don't matter  . Stupid Rocket planes can not be avoided and never miss . Dump this wretched sector AA . It's worthless . Also restore our AA range capabilities . Both by upgrades and by the original capt skills . AA is still way too weak . Make fighters part of CV total aircraft not a consumable .It's ridiculous that as a team we shot down 117 planes and Cv was still sending full rocket plane squadrons .  It's not a bad thing to deplane a CV . Let it happen 

Edited by Capt_Q_Sparrow
  • Boring 1