You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WizardFerret

Jet planes on carriers

34 comments in this topic

[ASALT]
Members
141 posts
4,651 battles

Is there any word on if jet planes are ever coming back for carriers? I would love seeing them on certain CVs, especially Saipan or Midway. I'd be fine with them being completely identical to the regular propeller planes they replace in terms of performance, just a nice cosmetic change. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,841 posts
13,826 battles

True I remember them being on tier 10 CVs during the OBT and even several months after the game's full release.

[HINON]
Members
11,619 posts
45 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

they never were on these CVs

Midway did have jets early in the game.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,823 posts
18,426 battles
33 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Must have been before I got mine and not for very long

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,738 posts
22,804 battles
33 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Not to worry I'm 100% positive that when the soviet carriers come out it will have MiG fighter bombers  

• Funny 4

[HINON]
Members
11,619 posts
2 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Must have been before I got mine and not for very long

Yeah it was the banshees. 

[N2O]
Members
59 posts
3,551 battles
On 9/1/2019 at 5:03 PM, CAPTMUDDXX said:

they never were on these CVs

They were on the tier X Midway as fighters but then they removed them.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,823 posts
18,426 battles
On 9/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@MockingBird94 Must have been before I got mine and not for very long

[EMAG]
Members
113 posts
1,790 battles
On 9/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, Tachnechdorus said:

Not to worry I'm 100% positive that when the soviet carriers come out it will have MiG fighter bombers  

yea, and when did the USSR first launch a plane from a carrier?

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,362 posts
672 battles
15 hours ago, Salttyy said:

The mid 1970s. But I'm sure they dreamed of it in 1922 so that's all that matters for Russian ships. Hopes and dreams.

Soviet CV line. They got their first carrier in 1975. 

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,296 posts
4,097 battles

The only jet aircraft that historically fit WoW would be:

FH-1_Phantom_in_flight_in_February_1948.

The FH Phantom.

1200px-FJ-1_in_flight.jpg

The FJ-1 Fury

f6u.jpg

And the F6U Pirate

These were the earliest jets on carriers.  Otherwise you have to go well into the 50's before you start seeing better stuff.

Edited by Murotsu
  • Cool 1

[BONAZ]
Members
71 posts
1,455 battles

Saipan (in real life) also had jet fighters and apparently had the first carrier qualified jet squadron in the entire US navy

quote from wiki

"On 19 April, she departed Norfolk for Quonset Point, Rhode Island, where, on 3 May, she embarked Fighter Squadron 17A. Three days later, all squadron pilots had qualified in FH-1 Phantom jets. The squadron had become the first carrier-based jet squadron"

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,296 posts
4,097 battles

The RN by way of comparison only got issued a jet aircraft in 1951 after a prolonged development.  This was the lethargic Supermarine Attacker.  Basically, Supermarine attached the wings from a Spiteful to a new fuselage to get the Attacker.  Oddly, it was a tail dragger, something that proved problematic in use.  The plane has anemic performance, outdone even by late model piston engine planes.  

800px-Supermarine_Attcker_FB.2_WP290_ST8

Of course, the FJ-1 Fury was much the same way, if having a bit more "poke."  The FJ-1 was originally being designed as the XF-86 Saber (also known as the "Jet Mustang") to an USAAF contract.  When the war ended, the USAAF and then USAF dropped the original design and North American built the swept wing F-86 Saber jet we all know.  The Navy picked up the original design as the FJ-1 Fury.  This plane used the wings and tail surfaces of the P-51H Mustang on a new fuselage.  The Navy wanted the plane as a strike fighter / fighter bomber rather than as a pure fighter.

Unlike the Attacker that saw limited service for just a few years, the FJ Fury evolved from the straight wing "Jet Mustang" FJ-1 into a variant of the F-86 Saber jet as the FJ-2 and -3.  The FJ-4 was an entirely new design that made it quite capable as an attack aircraft.

Of all the 1950's jets the USN used, the longest in service was the A-3 Skywarrior which saw service as the EA-3 into the 90's.

543cc5d0ab66ddc5fa171d11960466ed.jpg

The last "Whale" as it became known colloquially, was retired in September 1991.  Originally intended as a nuclear strike bomber, it evolved into an electronic spy plane due to it's voluminous fuselage and room for a crew of 3.  Amazingly, some still fly today as test beds.

[BONAZ]
Members
71 posts
1,455 battles
18 minutes ago, Murotsu said:

The RN by way of comparison only got issued a jet aircraft in 1951 after a prolonged development.  This was the lethargic Supermarine Attacker.  Basically, Supermarine attached the wings from a Spiteful to a new fuselage to get the Attacker.  Oddly, it was a tail dragger, something that proved problematic in use.  The plane has anemic performance, outdone even by late model piston engine planes.  

oh so thats why you hear no one talk about those things, because they suck so much lol

Edited by Admiral_Ocelot

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,296 posts
4,097 battles

Now, for just odd looking but kind of cool, the FAA (Royal Navy)'s Westland Wyvern has that bagged

Westland_Wyvern_S_Mk.4.jpg

This was a turboprop of the late 40's designed as a strike fighter, fighter being mostly a euphemism...  Anyway, it could carry a torpedo-- at a time when torpedo planes were all but obsolete-- or bombs and a large number of vicious looking (more so than they actually were) rockets.  The Wyvern saw combat in the Suez Crisis of 1956 and was in FAA service from 1950 to 1958.

Out of 124 built, 39 were lost in accidents, 2 in combat.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,362 posts
672 battles
3 hours ago, Murotsu said:

The RN by way of comparison only got issued a jet aircraft in 1951 after a prolonged development

The RN was the first to land a jet on a carrier though, when Eric Brown landed a DH Vampire on HMS Ocean in December '45. 

HMS Ocean was a Colossus-class light fleet carrier. She'd make a great tier 8 premium carrier. With Vampires. That'd be cool as hell.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,296 posts
4,097 battles
6 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

The RN was the first to land a jet on a carrier though, when Eric Brown landed a DH Vampire on HMS Ocean in December '45. 

HMS Ocean was a Colossus-class light fleet carrier. She'd make a great tier 8 premium carrier. With Vampires. That'd be cool as hell.

Depends on what you consider "a jet"

http://fly.historicwings.com/2012/11/the-first-jet-landing-on-a-carrier/

The RN's problem was they'd do something innovative like that then discard it for operational use.

[LOIN]
Alpha Tester
601 posts
4,344 battles
On 9/3/2019 at 8:18 PM, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@MockingBird94 Must have been before I got mine and not for very long

They removed long before you started playing the game, friend.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,823 posts
18,426 battles
37 minutes ago, Starfleet1701 said:

They removed long before you started playing the game, friend.

Since I started in open beta if they were removed before the game went live then they were never actually in the game. 

[TATIC]
Members
32 posts

the only thing i can't understand is why btd destroyer is on midway like tier x and skyraider like tier ix they should fix it.

btd-1 destroyer: 30 units produced

a1 skyraider: 3,180 units produced

[REVY]
Members
1,587 posts
9,931 battles
On 9/6/2019 at 7:22 PM, Murotsu said:

The only jet aircraft that historically fit WoW would be:

Spoiler

FH-1_Phantom_in_flight_in_February_1948.

The FH Phantom.

1200px-FJ-1_in_flight.jpg

The FJ-1 Fury

f6u.jpg

And the F6U Pirate

These were the earliest jets on carriers.  Otherwise you have to go well into the 50's before you start seeing better stuff.

Technically they could add this:

1024px-Ryan_FR-1_Fireball_VF-66_North_Is

Ryan FR-1 Fireball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_FR_Fireball

First flight: June 1944.

In service: March 1945

Out of Service: 1947

[SYJ]
Members
256 posts
10,018 battles

What Midway really need is:

File:A-1H Skyraider of VA-25 with toilet bomb on USS Midway (CVA-41) in October 1965 (NNAM.1996.253.2381).jpg

sure it is a wrong decade but the A-1 Skyraiders missed WWII by less then a year
and that is from Midway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A-1H_Skyraider_of_VA-25_with_toilet_bomb_on_USS_Midway_(CVA-41)_in_October_1965_(NNAM.1996.253.2381).jpg

Edited by Sammy_Small

[VW]
Members
567 posts
3,761 battles
On 9/6/2019 at 9:16 AM, Salttyy said:

Yak 38 on Kiev class carriers, I guess... Vtol aircraft with 3 engines, low range, dangerous to fly, Harrier was far superior.. Much later, in the 70s I think... Later the Soviets would develop another tool, the Yak 141. The US vtol F35 uses nowadays the same system.

But in WoWs, we never know... Maybe someone will dream that Stalin dreamt about a Soviet carrier? 

Anyway, Russia is a land power, they don't need CVs, they just need stuff to sink US CVs.