Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Undated periscope view of USS New Jersey

6 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,573 posts
15,629 battles

Reading some of the threads about the submarines coming to WoW. So, started looking for some old periscope view pictures for memes. Ran across one that I saved but didn't use. Anyways ran across the picture again and thought, what ship is this? Was pretty sure it was a USN BB. I zoomed in and found the number on the bow. It's the New Jersey. I imagine it was a picture taken from a sub that was accompanying it at one time.

iu (52).jpg

iu (51).jpg

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 4

[KRAK]
Members
1,352 posts
15,233 battles

Interesting shot. Top speed of Gato class on surface around 20kts. So a periscope shot on the surface, most likely. Didn't know they could take camera images from the periscope, but there it is. This was a dream shot for the IJN sub commanders.

Or this could have been taken in Korea or Vietnam era I suppose.

BB doesn't look to be putting out much of a bow wave here.

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles

That was taken in the 80's when she was reactivated, notice she's only got three 5"/38 twin mounts per side, and the lattice mast, those changes were from the 80's modernization. Hard to see the ABL's and Harpoons. Probably post reactivation trials as I can't see the white CIWS radomes, which may not have been installed at the time of the trials. She still has them today, and they're still white. Could have been taken anywhere between November 1982 and January 1983, I don't know exactly when the CIWS was fitted.

Lack of Catapults with all 5 twin 5"/38's per side would be correct for Korea and Vietnam, you'd have to be able to see the 40mm mounts to tell which war in that case (The Vietnam deployment had removed all the 40mm and 20mm guns with the lack of an air threat, and she carried chaff launchers and jamming equipment for anti-missile protection).

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,573 posts
15,629 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

That was taken in the 80's when she was reactivated, notice she's only got three 5"/38 twin mounts per side, and the lattice mast, those changes were from the 80's modernization. Hard to see the ABL's and Harpoons. Probably post reactivation trials as I can't see the white CIWS radomes, which may not have been installed at the time of the trials. She still has them today, and they're still white. Could have been taken anywhere between November 1982 and January 1983, I don't know exactly when the CIWS was fitted.

Lack of Catapults with all 5 twin 5"/38's per side would be correct for Korea and Vietnam, you'd have to be able to see the 40mm mounts to tell which war in that case (The Vietnam deployment had removed all the 40mm and 20mm guns with the lack of an air threat, and she carried chaff launchers and jamming equipment for anti-missile protection).

Thank you for the information. I was a kid in the early 80's but I remember the news about the WW2 BB's being reactivated. The Iowa, Wisconsin, New Jersey, and Missouri. I thought that was the greatest. I know they were used in the middle east and Desert Shield? Not 100% for certain about the latter. 

I know my dad told me when he was on the Hornet while it was doing ASW patrols off the coast of Vietnam. He said they had a submarine accompanying them. I was looking at his service book on the Westpac cruise they had some I believe upgraded Fletcher class DD's with them. The Navy really got the mileage out of those end of WW2 era ships. My uncle served on a Gearing class DD the Stribling during that time frame too.

I always thought it was something the nicknames some ships got from it's sailors. Dad said the Hornet was called the "One Two Hornet Maru"

[WOLF3]
Members
26,992 posts
23,790 battles

To add, that picture of USS New Jersey isn't from WWII.  This is how she looked in 1945.

6bf663b4074b17ca7ceb88f215db17c0.jpg

Below is Iowa from 1943 as the class originally was.

ZTkmcod.jpg

So definitely not WWII.

AFAIK the only torpedo threat the class encountered was when USS Willie D. Porter accidentally fired her torpedoes at Iowa when FDR was aboard :Smile_trollface:

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
9 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Thank you for the information. I was a kid in the early 80's but I remember the news about the WW2 BB's being reactivated. The Iowa, Wisconsin, New Jersey, and Missouri. I thought that was the greatest. I know they were used in the middle east and Desert Shield? Not 100% for certain about the latter. 

I know my dad told me when he was on the Hornet while it was doing ASW patrols off the coast of Vietnam. He said they had a submarine accompanying them. I was looking at his service book on the Westpac cruise they had some I believe upgraded Fletcher class DD's with them. The Navy really got the mileage out of those end of WW2 era ships. My uncle served on a Gearing class DD the Stribling during that time frame too.

I always thought it was something the nicknames some ships got from it's sailors. Dad said the Hornet was called the "One Two Hornet Maru"

Jersey got to see some action off Lebanon, I think that it was both Iowa and Jersey that brought and end to the Iranians shooting RPG's at US Navy Supply ships back in the 80's, mostly by replacing the supply ships and oilers themselves.The Iowa's have gear for UNREP themselves, so they make a very nice heavily armed and armored resupply ship. Also, shooting an RPG at something that just might take offence and flatten a good chunk of your country isn't a wise move. 

Missouri and Wisconsin both served in Desert Shield/Desert Storm, shelling anything that they could get near, and flinging TLAM's. It was one of Wisconsin's drones that a bunch of Iraqi's surrendered too, probably a wise move considering what was on the other end of the drone. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this