You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DesslockVonKraken

Battleships are a disappointment

22 comments in this topic

[-MN-]
Members
9 posts
3,531 battles

(I am not fluent in English, so forgive me for the typos)

I'm playing for only three months I think and honestly I thought this game would be a dream come true because I'm a big fan of naval themes but the reality is this is a nightmare. My biggest disappointment is the battleships, historically they were absurdly resilient ships, and well-armed, the biggest nightmares of a battleship was an Aircraft Carrier and Torpedoes (the issue of torpedoes may vary), but in this game a Yamato, for example, can easily be destroyed by a Light Cruiser, turned giant steel and iron-reinforced ships into a walking barbecue, is simply ridiculous. Ships like Montana are a joke in this game, but in real life they were real monsters, that makes no sense, it's pathetic. The irony is that battleships are the main propaganda of this game, but it's the most abandoned class, it's basically a misleading advertisement.

I am a former World of Tanks player, I have played that game since 2011 and honestly, I am well aware that Wargaming is a company that never listens to players, and I am well aware that Wargaming has a bad concept of "balancing" which in general simply make players waste time. Considering these facts, I understand why World of Warships is not a popular game, the game has simply become bland, and there is no prospect of change. No update makes the game more interesting, just "bug fixes" or make ridiculous nerfs (Conqueror nerf for example). I am really disappointed. Of course there will be players who will find it a "blasphemy" to criticize the game but I will do the same thing that Wargaming does: say [edited] you.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 7

[RLGN]
Members
16,173 posts
28,066 battles

Valid complaints in general.

Forgive my saying so; but tier 10 can be pure hell if you’ve rushed through the tech tree to get there.

Not saying some can’t do well, but such is usually not the case.

Lower tiers, unfortunately, can also be hell because T4 carriers are swarming right now. If you feel comfortable doing so, I’d say play mid tiers and get more familiar with the game mechanics.

More arcade than simulation, yes; and experience means a lot.

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,502 battles

@DesslockVonKraken Three months play is hardly enough time to be so harsh. Perhaps after you have played this 4 or 5 years you will find at least one thing to like in the game. If you are having such a miserable time in BBs you are doing something wrong.

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,162 posts
48 minutes ago, DesslockVonKraken said:

I'm playing for only three months I think and honestly I thought this game would be a dream come true because I'm a big fan of naval themes but the reality is this is a nightmare. My biggest disappointment is the battleships, historically they were absurdly resilient ships, and well-armed, the biggest nightmares of a battleship was an Aircraft Carrier and Torpedoes (the issue of torpedoes may vary), but in this game a Yamato, for example, can easily be destroyed by a Light Cruiser, turned giant steel and iron-reinforced ships into a walking barbecue, is simply ridiculous. Ships like Montana are a joke in this game, but in real life they were real monsters, that makes no sense, it's pathetic. The irony is that battleships are the main propaganda of this game, but it's the most abandoned class, it's basically a misleading advertisement.

I am a former World of Tanks player, I have played that game since 2011 and honestly, I am well aware that Wargaming is a company that never listens to players, and I am well aware that Wargaming has a bad concept of "balancing" which in general simply make players waste time. Considering these facts, I understand why World of Warships is not a popular game, the game has simply become bland, and there is no prospect of change. No update makes the game more interesting, just "bug fixes" or make ridiculous nerfs (Conqueror nerf for example). I am really disappointed. Of course there will be players who will find it a "blasphemy" to criticize the game but I will do the same thing that Wargaming does: say [edited] you.

I think it comes down to the issue of us as players not being restricted in our ship selection. The things that make Battleships rare in real life don't apply here and as such their incredible strengths must be leveled out in the game design or nobody would use anything but battleships. Just the nature of the beast, sadly.

• Cool 1

Members
95 posts
688 battles
13 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

I think it comes down to the issue of us as players not being restricted in our ship selection. The things that make Battleships rare in real life don't apply here and as such their incredible strengths must be leveled out in the game design or nobody would use anything but battleships. Just the nature of the beast, sadly.

Unfortunately, such is true. However, I don't believe that furutakas should be citadeling New Mexico's at 10km while the NM's terrible dispersion and RoF means it struggles to do damage at anything beyond medium ranges. If it were up to me, battleships would have better accuracy, and slower fire rate. It would help increase historical accuracy but continue to keep the game balanced. However, I doubt battleships would be any more popular as they already have slow gameplay.   

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,359 posts
7,145 battles

Have you considered playing cruisers to get their perspective? That way you may be better able to deal with them.

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,099 posts
7,995 battles
27 minutes ago, FirebirdXIV said:

However, I don't believe that furutakas should be citadeling New Mexico's at 10km while the NM's terrible dispersion and RoF means it struggles to do damage at anything beyond medium ranges.

I highly doubt that Furutaka is able to land citadel hits on New Mexico, unless you had a bug happening.

Members
95 posts
688 battles

Idk, bugs seem rare, yet catastrophic when they occur. But I don't think that a front-turret salvo from a Furutaka could cause 18500 damage without causing citadels. 

Members
482 posts
15,682 battles

BB are definitely capable of being the most powerful ship on the map but it’s perhaps more important to also be smart and a team player now than ever to be effective 

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,099 posts
7,995 battles
13 minutes ago, FirebirdXIV said:

Idk, bugs seem rare, yet catastrophic when they occur. But I don't think that a front-turret salvo from a Furutaka could cause 18500 damage without causing citadels. 

I doubt that this was the Furutaka‘s doing. Do you have a replay of said event?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,841 posts
25,970 battles

Battleships are the easiest, most stress free form of play in WoWS.

DDs and Cruisers have to worry about instant death.

Destroyers have the lowest HP pool and once their best form of protection is peeled away, Stealth, what you have is the lowest HP pool in the game and no margin for error.

Cruisers have Citadels and have to worry about getting deleted.  If they are not getting 1-shot, they have to worry about BB AP salvos that rip 1/2 to 3/4 of their HP away in one go.

I play in my Battleships to have zero stress.  All those things I have to worry about as a DD or Cruiser?  I don't have them in a BB.

Oh wow, so some dude set a fire on me?

Big freaking deal.

All BBs get access to Damage Control Party and Repair Party to absorb the Fire damage and heal it back.  Oh hey, did you know that almost all DDs have no access to Repair Party?  And the overwhelming vast majority of Cruisers have no access to Repair Party also?  It doesn't even become a standard Cruiser feature until Tier IX-X.  Meanwhile BBs get RP access for every single one of them, even all the way to the lowest tiers and thru Tier X.

Torpedoes hurt in a BB.  But it hurts far, FAR more on a DD or Cruiser.  DDs and Cruisers don't have the HP pool to absorb the raw damage as easily as a BB, and most of all, they do not have the TDS like BBs do to reduce the torpedo damage they take.

Carrier air attacks?  LOL!  A number of BBs mount tons of AA weaponry, some of these are "No Fly Zones" and CVs don't want anything to do with getting near them!

In addition, with the CV Rework that hit in February 2019, what came with it was the Flood Nerf.  One of the single greatest dangers for a BB in the old system was eating a Flood and your Damage Control Party was on Cooldown.  You were bleeding heavy damage for a long time.  With the Flood Nerf, you can tank Floods like it was a Fire.  No problems and you lose a lot less damage than you originally did prior to the nerf.

Battleships are so easy, so care free.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
4,251 posts
9,941 battles
31 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Battleships are the easiest, most stress free form of play in WoWS...

....I play in my Battleships to have zero stress.

Listen to this gent.

You have to accept that these are close-in battles... historically a Grand admiral would have to be barking mad to send his high seas fleet into an archepelago of dense islands to hammer it out close range, but this allows all classes to come into play here... cut them some slack, it's a game and they really pack in as much historicity as they can. I admire them for that, other flaws notwithstanding (enough new ships, now focus on battle modes and variety of engagements please).

BBs are my favourite class but I play all of them outside of CVs which still intimidate the feck out of me play-wise. There is a key to playing BBs effectively and that is "support and push" and I emphasize pushing at the right time--the endzone floaters lobbing misses for half the battles and finally moving forward when it is *safe* bug my a** interminably. As someone else said, 3-months play is way too early to judge things and btw, do not make the mistake of assuming it's the same shark-tank that WOT is, even though I chose the wrong metaphor. ;)

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,185 posts
12,720 battles
42 minutes ago, FirebirdXIV said:

I’d have to check but I don’t think the 4 front guns are capable of that high damage in a single salvo even if all 4 shells were cits

As for the OP. Bbs are actually quit tanky if spec and built and played correctly. I’d look at what you are doing that could be done better before saying bbs are trash, because they are in fact not 

Edited by ditka_Fatdog

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,632 posts
16,336 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Still true, 'nuff said.

Members
235 posts
1,633 battles
On 8/31/2019 at 6:38 PM, pikohan said:

Still true, 'nuff said.

Well most of the time. Those games with 6 DDs and 2 CVs per side suck hard.

• Cool 1

[GRETA]
Members
1,419 posts
10,851 battles
On 8/31/2019 at 12:20 PM, DesslockVonKraken said:

Sounds to me like you are the kind of BB captain that noses into a cap and sits still while lobbing shells at other BB's 20km away rather than shooting at the DD's and cruisers that are harder to land hits on but much more important to take out early on.  You have not yet figured out that all you have to do to prevent that cruiser from turning you into a bbq is learn what his max range is and maintain that distance between you and whatever island he would hide behind.   So you probably spend the first 7 minutes lobbing shells on enemy BB's then once all of your support ships are dead you take your remaining 25k hp, charge into the cap and die to torpedoes ending your game with about 40k worth of inconsequential damage.

I know this because I was that guy too a few years back as were all of us at one point or another.  Here are some bits of good advice; 

Don't rush up the tech tree thinking it gets easier, it only gets harder.

Find some good players and watch them play (you tube videos are great).  Pay attention to how they aim, how they move and how they position themselves.   Map awareness is key.

Learn the abilities of every ship you could be playing against,  it will help you counter them.

When you begin to think the ship you are using is not effective,  recognize it is not the ship it is you.  Fix what you are doing wrong.

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,179 posts
8,328 battles

OP sounds like the people in WOT who joined and immediately found out that playing heavy tanks were A)Hard B)Vulnerable unsupported.

I'm also seeing gaps in the BB list showing he XPed his way over ships not consistently grinding out all lines which means he is also lacking vital skills he never learned.

[CVA16]
Members
6,429 posts
19,969 battles
On 8/31/2019 at 2:15 PM, FirebirdXIV said:

But I don't think that a front-turret salvo from a Furutaka could cause 18500 damage without causing citadels. 

Assuming all 4 shells hit, and were citadels (huge assumptions), could it do 18K damage? I'm thinking that damage must have come from a different source, just timed to seem like the Furrytaco did it. Then giving the 'taco credit for the sinking when it did the last 500 hp.

Edit:

OK, just checked and the max AP damage is 4700 so it could have caused 18800 with 4 citadel hits.  All 4 shells hitting the same modelling seam that allows them to penetrate a New Mexico belt.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
121 posts
1,951 battles
On 8/31/2019 at 5:47 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

DDs and Cruisers have to worry about instant death.

Destroyers have the lowest HP pool and once their best form of protection is peeled away, Stealth, what you have is the lowest HP pool in the game and no margin for error.

Cruisers have Citadels and have to worry about getting deleted.  If they are not getting 1-shot, they have to worry about BB AP salvos that rip 1/2 to 3/4 of their HP away in one go.

I play in my Battleships to have zero stress.  All those things I have to worry about as a DD or Cruiser?  I don't have them in a BB.

Oh wow, so some dude set a fire on me?

Big freaking deal.

All BBs get access to Damage Control Party and Repair Party to absorb the Fire damage and heal it back.  Oh hey, did you know that almost all DDs have no access to Repair Party?  And the overwhelming vast majority of Cruisers have no access to Repair Party also?  It doesn't even become a standard Cruiser feature until Tier IX-X.  Meanwhile BBs get RP access for every single one of them, even all the way to the lowest tiers and thru Tier X.

Torpedoes hurt in a BB.  But it hurts far, FAR more on a DD or Cruiser.  DDs and Cruisers don't have the HP pool to absorb the raw damage as easily as a BB, and most of all, they do not have the TDS like BBs do to reduce the torpedo damage they take.

Carrier air attacks?  LOL!  A number of BBs mount tons of AA weaponry, some of these are "No Fly Zones" and CVs don't want anything to do with getting near them!

In addition, with the CV Rework that hit in February 2019, what came with it was the Flood Nerf.  One of the single greatest dangers for a BB in the old system was eating a Flood and your Damage Control Party was on Cooldown.  You were bleeding heavy damage for a long time.  With the Flood Nerf, you can tank Floods like it was a Fire.  No problems and you lose a lot less damage than you originally did prior to the nerf.

Battleships are so easy, so care free.

I don't agree that BB are stress free. It's the complete opposite of that as you have so much more to worry about when playing one. It's the most stressful game experience. I've just come back and I'm seeing all sorts of issues with BB that completely turn me off from playing them compared to before that they were actually fun but at the moment no they're not fun at all to play and way more stress then its worth.

Edited by Z3r0Fear

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,841 posts
25,970 battles
On 9/26/2019 at 12:08 AM, Z3r0Fear said:

I don't agree that BB are stress free. It's the complete opposite of that as you have so much more to worry about when playing one. It's the most stressful game experience. I've just come back and I'm seeing all sorts of issues with BB that completely turn me off from playing them compared to before that they were actually fun but at the moment no they're not fun at all to play and way more stress then its worth.

Battleships don't have to worry about instant death like Cruisers and Destroyers do.  Their armor and consumables, coupled with highest HP levels in the game mean they have tremendous staying power even after dumb mistakes.

If you just came back from a break, then you got it bad.  At 853 battles, you were never that experienced before the break to begin with.  Then you depart, lost whatever you were learning before, and now starting over.

Battleships to me is stress free gaming.  Try playing a Des Moines Radar Cruiser helping contest the caps and being positioned far forward of the team, as far up front as with your Destroyers.  Or play a DD when there's a number of Radar Cruisers and a Carrier in the game, on top of running into other DDs that can quickly cause you problems.

Destroyers are also often the first ship types in a game that are all dead.  I stopped being surprised seeing both sides' DDs all dead after a few minutes of combat initiating.

I have 9.8k Random Battles under my belt.  These are my ship splits.

lXJ8Ywh.jpg

I'm not some dude who only plays one specific ship type.  I've put plenty of time in PVP with BBs, DDs, and Cruisers.

And I say that Battleships are fine.

The stress I feel playing them isn't like how I felt when playing my Cruisers and Destroyers.

Edit to add:  Destroyers are also under immense pressure, expectations.  Everyone expects you to:

Cap.

Spot.

Be the forward most ship of the team and potentially running into lots of unpleasant surprises that can end you quickly.

Typically are the most vulnerable ship to CV air attacks because you are the most forward ship and with the weakest AA (because you know, a small ship like a DD carries less AA weaponry than a larger ship like a Cruiser or Battleship).  DDs also tend to be isolated ships because of their scouting, capping duties, so yes, they are quite vulnerable to air attacks, compared to the other ships hanging back in groups with mutual AA.

There can be several enemy DDs ahead of you, a known enemy Radar Cruiser in the area, and people are still screaming at the DD to go cap.

People are very quick to blame a loss on the DDs.

The Battleship is stress free compared to those demands.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,318 posts
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, DesslockVonKraken said:

If you are having so much trouble with battleships, then you are most assuredly doing it wrong. More precisely, you are doing the typical, casual BB driver routine. You sail in a nice straight line at one speed and huck shells across the map thinking you are invincible and invulnerable. Battleships are the easy button for this game, but you do still have to pull your head out every now and then and look around, or you are going to die, your team is going to lose, and it will be your own fault.

As to you criticizing the game, I have absolutely no problem with that. I have always spoken up when I feel WG has suffered one of its frequent bouts of cranial rectosis, but honestly, you have no leg to stand on if you think battleships have it so rough. Try playing destroyers for a while, and cruisers, then see if you still think battleships are so helpless.

[LOIN]
Supertester
854 posts
On 8/31/2019 at 2:20 PM, DesslockVonKraken said:

Well the game does alot things that are weird. But hey, this game is very arcade like, also done for balancing purposes. 

However, you do have a point. IFHE is extremely ridiculous, and you're right it certainly does need to be changed.