Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DrHolmes52

Windows update

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,383
[WOLFG]
Members
9,615 posts
8,595 battles

I had a windows update.  Now I get a bluescreen stop code (playing, not playing doesn't matter).

Updated, uninstalled update, reinstalled.  Same problem.

Any suggestions.

Would have put in support, but its not a WG issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,886
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts

If you can access the recovery menu you might try restoring the system to before the update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

If you have a recovery drive it will make things simpler.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,383
[WOLFG]
Members
9,615 posts
8,595 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

If you can access the recovery menu you might try restoring the system to before the update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

If you have a recovery drive it will make things simpler.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive

 

Already restored.  Didn't solve the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,886
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Already restored.  Didn't solve the problem.

While your PC is completely powered down (unplug it from the socket), try re-seating tour RAM and video card. Don't re-seat the CPU because this will mess up the thermal paste. There may be some corrosion preventing proper function. If this doesn't work you may have hardware issues.

Can you boot from a Windows install disk?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,803
[WORX]
Members
10,675 posts
18,567 battles

Go to your windows systems menu.... And start manually updating every driver on your system that needs updating...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,383
[WOLFG]
Members
9,615 posts
8,595 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

While your PC is completely powered down (unplug it from the socket), try re-seating tour RAM and video card. Don't re-seat the CPU because this will mess up the thermal paste. There may be some corrosion preventing proper function. If this doesn't work you may have hardware issues.

Can you boot from a Windows install disk?

No on the disk, but I may give the cards a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,886
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts

Also, re-attach the disk drives' data and power cables and re-seat the PSU power cables. It doesn't take much time and might solve a hardware-related power or data problem that's mimicking a software problem.

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,846
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

You may want to update or roll back your video drivers from safe mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
346
[LOSC]
Members
579 posts

Blue screen is System. As said reseat removable components, and Yes DO reseat CPU, buy some new Thermal paste and reseat it.

Can't hurt.

Don't restore anything until all hardware has been verified working! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,886
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts

If you want to re-seat the CPU, these are good thermal paste and heat-sink re-installation installation instructions. Carefully examine the CPU's pins for corrosion and/or breakage while it's out.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005852/processors.html

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-7 

It doesn't hurt either to take a good look at the motherboard, especially the capacitors. If one or more capacitors appear swollen then they are going bad. If you see a burnt area on the board then it may be from a short. I actually have a degree in electronics but motherboards are so cheap nowadays that it's not worth trying to fix a damaged one. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,573
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,521 posts

Man... thank God you guys aren't his doctor... he'd come in saying I ate something last night and threw up this morning, y'all diagnosis would be remove the appendix, take off both legs and break open his chest for heart surgery. :cap_win: Yea baby...

But seriously folks, all kidding aside, here's a couple of other thoughts... 

Quote

Now I get a bluescreen stop code (playing, not playing doesn't matter).

Updated, uninstalled update, reinstalled.  Same problem.

Any suggestions.

Would have put in support, but its not a WG issue.

If your system is recent, go to the mfg's website, or search the net, for your system having that problem (Windows just updated, BSOD). You'll find any number of probable solutions. 

Look at what updated, per others... you can uninstall individual updates (normally). 

Push comes to shove... it's often a whole lot easier to do a complete refresh of Windows. 

Do you have an SSD or a regular drive? Oh yea.. if it happens again, before you do anything else, look at Windows "logs" via the Admin console. Often you'll see critical errors there which will direct you down the correct path. 

57 minutes ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

Blue screen is System. As said reseat removable components, and Yes DO reseat CPU, buy some new Thermal paste and reseat it.

Can't hurt.

Don't restore anything until all hardware has been verified working! 

 

Yea, actually it can... people tend to not be good at putting the thermal paste on cpus... they either put too much, too little or get some on the motherboard/circuits. 

So I'd say do NOT reseat the CPU... 

Reseating the cards is fine as constant heat/cool cycles tend to loosen components... however, it seems more likely tied to the update, as apparently prior to the update, things worked. 

I hope you can back up personal things on your drives, but anyhow, you have two means of "refreshing Windows". One way is to keep all your personal files and programs. The other way is to wipe the entire drive and do a NEW install of Windows. 

Chose to do a refresh while keeping your files/programs. If that doesn't do it, make SURE you have everything backed up that you need to backup, then do a completely new install of Windows without keeping your stuff. But only do this if you have things completely backed up. 

I believe I would A) Search net for others with same problem. If I could not find others having the same issue, I'd B) do a refresh of Windows KEEPING MY FILES AND PROGRAMS. This gives you a clean windows with with to further your troubleshooting.  I would only do C) Wipe Window and drives completely and do a fresh, complete install IF nothing else works. 

You've got enough advice now to do something, fer sure, even if its wrong! 

  • Cool 2
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,886
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
29 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I'd B) do a refresh of Windows KEEPING MY FILES AND PROGRAMS.

Unfortunately, that sort of refresh doesn't actually your programs intact, only those from the Windows store.

A BSOD is usually more hardware and driver related than software related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,846
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

Simply loosening the lever and re-locking it might be enough and that won't muck with the thermal paste and is worth trying if the computer was not running hot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,886
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts

A good cleaning might do wonders to lessen heat generation is a running-hot old computer. I once watched a girl I knew in college take a CD from a drive and bounce it around in her hands saying "hot, hot, hot." When I mentioned that CDs weren't supposed to be hot she said that yes, they always were hot when you first took them out. I looked at her computer and saw that the vents were completely blocked -- with cat hair and bird feathers from her pets. It's amazing that the computer ran at all.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,573
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,521 posts

Well it shall be interesting to see what results come in to us here at WoWS PC Helpstop! 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,128
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,455 posts
6,507 battles

Windows 10... the gift that keeps on giving.   

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
[WOLF3]
Members
139 posts
13,110 battles
16 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

A good cleaning might do wonders to lessen heat generation is a running-hot old computer. I once watched a girl I knew in college take a CD from a drive and bounce it around in her hands saying "hot, hot, hot." When I mentioned that CDs weren't supposed to be hot she said that yes, they always were hot when you first took them out. I looked at her computer and saw that the vents were completely blocked -- with cat hair and bird feathers from her pets. It's amazing that the computer ran at all.  

A build up of dust/debris can cause "hardware" issues.  The dust can cause shorts across pins on the system board.  I was in NY visiting our HQ and there was a network issue at one of our stores in NY.  Good timing since I was there.

I went to the site, the router is sitting on the floor of the stock room.  I cracked it open....

image.thumb.png.708281f3f467bd0a6dd95bdf68c1d638.png

They got me a can of compressed air, I cleaned it up, and it booted with no issues.  They don't keep it on the floor now :-)

 

Back to Windows...the last BSOD trouble I had was due to a failing SSD.  It was a random crash maybe once a week, there was nothing logged as a hardware issue.  It must have been just enough to make Windows crash...but then after restating, it was fine again for a while.  As mentioned, check that the drivers are updated and see if your mfg has a diagnostic CD image you can download and burn.

Good luck.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,791
[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
14,488 battles

One other thing to try: a hard restart. 

Unplug the power and hold in on the on/off button for about 10 seconds. 

This will empty out any remaining power from components that could be "stuck" at the error.

It solved a similar issue for me by doing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,098
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,918 posts
26,913 battles

Depends what the BSOD tells you.

Also: you can get some stuff like driver sweeper (not sure if it's still avaible) and let him remove all your drivers. Make sure you got the newest versions before you do it and store them on a USB stick/CD/DVD and install them after your PC restarts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[WOLF7]
Members
206 posts
2,310 battles

If you have Symantec AV product installed that might be the issue.   This month, MS changed the signing on their patches to SHA-2.   In some cases this is making Symantec unhappy and causing BSOD or Repair Install loops for Windows & and Server 2008R2 machines.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
18 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Man... thank God you guys aren't his doctor... he'd come in saying I ate something last night and threw up this morning, y'all diagnosis would be remove the appendix, take off both legs and break open his chest for heart surgery. :cap_win: Yea baby...

 

....^^^^^^^... listen to this guy. BSOD happened right after windows update,, no cleaning, re-setting cards ,cpu ,ram  will help. Numerous issues with windows updates this year. Try to get support from Microsoft,, but you might have to reinstall the OS... For future reference  : DISABLE automatic windows updates for good. You can do it manually like every couple of months, but first always check all available info on recent updates,,if they have big issues. If that is the case,,wait, till Microsoft fixes the issue,,than update....   

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,886
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
1 hour ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

....^^^^^^^... listen to this guy. BSOD happened right after windows update,, no cleaning, re-setting cards ,cpu ,ram  will help. Numerous issues with windows updates this year. Try to get support from Microsoft,, but you might have to reinstall the OS... For future reference  : DISABLE automatic windows updates for good. You can do it manually like every couple of months, but first always check all available info on recent updates,,if they have big issues. If that is the case,,wait, till Microsoft fixes the issue,,than update....   

However, he had already tried a system restore and it didn't work. Just because something happened after an update doesn't necessarily mean that the update caused it. I've very rarely seen BSOD problems after Windows updates, unless the update is set to also install new drivers. However, you are right in saying that the message of the BSOD contains important information for diagnosing the problem.

I have a degree in electronics and a CET. I used to be a hardware tech on this forum but there were techs on the software side who knew a heck of a lot more than I did. The site used to be pretty good. I don't know how active it is anymore but the OP might want to post his problem there. Most of its members were IT professionals when I was posting there. I stopped posting because I'm retired and it was just too hard keeping up with the latest technical information as a hobby.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
48 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

However, he had already tried a system restore and it didn't work. Just because something happened after an update doesn't necessarily mean that the update caused it. I've very rarely seen BSOD problems after Windows updates, unless the update is set to also install new drivers. However, you are right in saying that the message of the BSOD contains important information for diagnosing the problem.

I have a degree in electronics and a CET. I used to be a hardware tech on this forum but there were techs on the software side who knew a heck of a lot more than I did. The site used to be pretty good. I don't know how active it is anymore but the OP might want to post his problem there. Most of its members were IT professionals when I was posting there. I stopped posting because I'm retired and it was just too hard keeping up with the latest technical information as a hobby.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/

Well,,Microsoft used to be competent .... However , last 2 years, windows updates are causing major problems,including BSOD .  So there is a good chance, the update was the culprit with OP`s system.   He could have got one of the big updates, that MS is pushing now,, those big updates, can really mess up a system. Hope he gets this sorted out. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,383
[WOLFG]
Members
9,615 posts
8,595 battles
24 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Well,,Microsoft used to be competent .... However , last 2 years, windows updates are causing major problems,including BSOD .  So there is a good chance, the update was the culprit with OP`s system.   He could have got one of the big updates, that MS is pushing now,, those big updates, can really mess up a system. Hope he gets this sorted out. 

Yeah, it was the big update.

I ended up rolling it back (again), and reinstalling all my drivers.  One site mentioned the additional information (Netwtw06.sys failure) was linked to the wireless driver.

I also replaced my mouse.  I had remembered a previous problem I had with BSOD was caused by the USB to serial adapter I was using. 

Over 2 3 hours this evening, no problems.

Thanks to all who replied. 

 

Edited by DrHolmes52
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
474
[KERMT]
Members
1,008 posts
23 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I had a windows update.  Now I get a bluescreen stop code (playing, not playing doesn't matter).

Updated, uninstalled update, reinstalled.  Same problem.

Any suggestions.

Would have put in support, but its not a WG issue.

Hey bud, 

 

Can you go into this DIR

C:\windows\minidump 

In this folder is the blue screen report, I believe in windows 10 it will just let you open the file now without having to jump through hoops however let me know if it won't.

 

So basically copy and paste all that info into your next post and I will have a read and figure out what is wrong. 

 

Edit: The blue screen reports contain a good amount of info so you can always figure out what has gone wrong too. :) 

Edited by Salvo_Creative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×