CAPTMUDDXX

Serious and Sad Real Life Stuff

15 comments in this topic

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,209 battles

By choice I became a permanent resident of a nursing home 2 years ago after my then 64 year polio crippled legs finally gave out.

I have had 3 room mates since June 2017. Staff cant tell us what the others reason for being here are but it was easy to quickly figure out what problems the first two had. The first was recovering from a stroke and eventually got well enough to go home. The second was recovering from a serious surgery and also went home.

Number three has been here almost a month and the first clue I had was an oxygen concentrator being set up so I correctly guessed COPD. Then once he got settled in for a couple of days and started talking short term memory loss and the anxiety it brings became obvious. Then in the course of answering the same questions over and over again it became obvious that the source of the anxiety is that he has no clue why he had been hospitalized and then sent here. I found that puzzling but even after family members tell him in phone calls what happened and why he forgets what they said as soon as the call is over. Then the same questions are asked and answered over and over again until we pass out.

Now for the really sad part. He had a visitor today for an eligibility recertification and the conversation was easily overheard. She asked a few questions and other than a few OKs he didn't have any answers. I had to speak up and let her know how long he had been here.

Her visit revealed the sad reason he is here. HOSPICE CARE. 

So now my mission is clear. Keep on talking with him and answering the repetitive question graciously until he can ask no more. 

• Cool 16

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,612 posts
23,872 battles

I have the deepest respect for humans that can such humkan tasks.

A friend of mine took care in a 24/7 hour job about someone who was paralysed after an accident from the third vertebra.

After the patient died, he start working as a UAP. From all the things he told me about his job, I know, I couldn't do this even for one day.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,209 battles

@Erebthoron Thanks. I am here also until they take me out in a body bag. That wont be anytime soon since I am not terminal just unable to get around good enough to care for myself.

• Cool 1

[XPLOD]
Members
44 posts
6,198 battles
24 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Erebthoron Thanks. I am here also until they take me out in a body bag. That wont be anytime soon since I am not terminal just unable to get around good enough to care for myself.

Glad about that Captain, just getting used to reading your thoughts on this blog every day. Thanks for helping me out in the past and answering my game questions.  

[KWF]
Members
3,728 posts
5,364 battles

Memory loss is a b1tch, both for the patient and the people around him/her. I lost my grandmother to Alzheimer's, I don't wish it to anybody, completely devastating to everyone.

Much respect for what you do.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
5,153 posts
17,621 battles

Just when you think your having a bad day on the game, we get someone to show us what true challenges real life throws others.

I can be sad you are there. But, you have found out why.

God bless you and may your life be easy and have joy thrown in.

• Cool 1

[FOG]
Members
643 posts
6,508 battles

It is always a pleasure to see you on the high seas and best wishes and thank you for your continuing kindness.

[RKLES]
5,153 posts
17,621 battles

Your welcome and much respect for you sir.

Glad you have a game to help you, and a roomy to remind you life could be worse.

Members
2,029 posts
3,613 battles
On 8/27/2019 at 3:30 PM, CAPTMUDDXX said:

So now my mission is clear. Keep on talking with him and answering the repetitive question graciously until he can ask no more. 

Thank you for your kindness to this man.

• Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.