You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
franz_von_goltz

How to torp a BB (or a CL) with a CV TB?

10 comments in this topic

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,207 posts
5,629 battles

Ok, 

Different nations, different torps. But run is similar. 

Torp bombers start a run, 

1. BB continues her course/speed, full torp.

2. BB slows or increase speed, 50% torp.

3. BB changes course, particularly towards torps, most of the time I miss.

How to score "full torp" in case 2 and 3?

COULD YOU SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE?

Thanks for sharing your CV experience here, I have improved my playing considerably.

I noticed something, maybe you can confirm, CV scores are low in case of quick victory, CV is really making the difference if the battle lasts more than 10 minutes, DDs make the difference the first 10 minutes... If DDs are destroyed and CV doesn't manage position, BBs and CLs battle...

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles
5 minutes ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Unfortunately, there is no substitute for practice. Try, and try again. 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,207 posts
5,629 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unfortunately, there is no substitute for practice. Try, and try again. 

Maybe this is the most difficult for CVs? 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,093 posts
18,935 battles

So what you're asking is how a CV player van effectively nullify the only counterplay a lone ship has against a TB drop ....

Yeah, good luck 😁

[WPORT]
Members
5,407 posts
10,457 battles
22 minutes ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Ok, 

Different nations, different torps. But run is similar. 

Torp bombers start a run, 

1. BB continues her course/speed, full torp.

2. BB slows or increase speed, 50% torp.

3. BB changes course, particularly towards torps, most of the time I miss.

How to score "full torp" in case 2 and 3?

Thanks for sharing your CV experience here, I have improved my playing considerably.

I noticed something, maybe you can confirm, CV scores are low in case of quick victory, CV is really making the difference if the battle lasts more than 10 minutes, DDs make the difference the first 10 minutes... If DDs are destroyed and CV doesn't manage position, BBs and CLs battle...

Target ship is a BB, traveling "East" at full speed (approximately 20 knots)
Attacking plane is a torpedo bomber, Tier 4, British.

Attacking plane flies to a position about 1 km ahead of the BB and about 5 to 6 km to either the North or the South of the target ship.
Upon arriving at this position, the planes change course to head directly for the broadside of the BB, aiming slightly ahead of it.
At about 4 to 5 km, begin "attack" by clicking on the mouse button.
Line up the torpedo attack run to aim for a point that is about 1/4 the length of the BB in front of the BB.
Drop about 1 second or 1/2 second before the "arming distance" of the torpedo is very close to the waterline of the target ship (leave just enough room for the torpedo arm).
If the BB doesn't WASD too much, you should hit it.

Practice this "ideal" and vary the conditions and angles as you gain confidence with the basic technique and are hitting nearly 100% of the time with the above scenario.

For cruisers, which travel faster, increase the torpedo "lead" angle to aim for a point that is 1/3 to 1/2 ahead of the length of the cruiser.

For destroyers, aim even further ahead, sometimes as much as two lengths (or more?) of the DD.  This will require some practice, so using rockets and bombs may be preferable because DD's are maneuverable and may dodge torpedo attacks. 
  Again, one must anticipate the timing and "lead" the target so that the ordnance will hit the target.  The aiming cross-hair will have to be pointing at the spot where the ship will sail into when the ordnance is released so that as the bomb/rocket/torpedo travels it will eventually connect with the target.

As you move up in CV tiers, the speeds of the planes and the speeds of the torpedoes increase.  So you will have to compensate for the changes in torpedo arming distances and the speed of the planes.
In my Tier-6 Ryujo, I begin torpedo attack runs around 6 to 7 km from a target, under ideal conditions.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,329 posts
19,492 battles
  1. Look at your target. Who is he fighting, and which way will he turn during that fight so he can angle/aim guns?
  2. Move your planes so that your approach will be broadside to his future position as he fights
  3. Attack
  4. CHOOSE your left/right direction after the drop based on the way the target is turning so that you will get a broadside approach again for the second pass. Use brakes (S key) to make the turn tighter if needed.
  • Cool 2

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,207 posts
5,629 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

So what you're asking is how a CV player van effectively nullify the only counterplay a lone ship has against a TB drop ....

Yeah, good luck 😁

Exact. A group of ships has not so much to do to nullify Torpedo bombers... Just nothing.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,207 posts
5,629 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Target ship is a BB, traveling "East" at full speed (approximately 20 knots)
Attacking plane is a torpedo bomber, Tier 4, British.

Attacking plane flies to a position about 1 km ahead of the BB and about 5 to 6 km to either the North or the South of the target ship.
Upon arriving at this position, the planes change course to head directly for the broadside of the BB, aiming slightly ahead of it.
At about 4 to 5 km, begin "attack" by clicking on the mouse button.
Line up the torpedo attack run to aim for a point that is about 1/4 the length of the BB in front of the BB.
Drop about 1 second or 1/2 second before the "arming distance" of the torpedo is very close to the waterline of the target ship (leave just enough room for the torpedo arm).
If the BB doesn't WASD too much, you should hit it.

Practice this "ideal" and vary the conditions and angles as you gain confidence with the basic technique and are hitting nearly 100% of the time with the above scenario.

For cruisers, which travel faster, increase the torpedo "lead" angle to aim for a point that is 1/3 to 1/2 ahead of the length of the cruiser.

For destroyers, aim even further ahead, sometimes as much as two lengths (or more?) of the DD.  This will require some practice, so using rockets and bombs may be preferable because DD's are maneuverable and may dodge torpedo attacks. 
  Again, one must anticipate the timing and "lead" the target so that the ordnance will hit the target.  The aiming cross-hair will have to be pointing at the spot where the ship will sail into when the ordnance is released so that as the bomb/rocket/torpedo travels it will eventually connect with the target.

As you move up in CV tiers, the speeds of the planes and the speeds of the torpedoes increase.  So you will have to compensate for the changes in torpedo arming distances and the speed of the planes.
In my Tier-6 Ryujo, I begin torpedo attack runs around 6 to 7 km from a target, under ideal conditions.

@Wolfswetpaws I will read this 7 o8 times but I'm sure no BB will be able to avoid my torps very soon... 

• Cool 1

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,207 posts
5,629 battles
13 minutes ago, Edgecase said:
  1. Look at your target. Who is he fighting, and which way will he turn during that fight so he can angle/aim guns?
  2. Move your planes so that your approach will be broadside to his future position as he fights
  3. Attack
  4. CHOOSE your left/right direction after the drop based on the way the target is turning so that you will get a broadside approach again for the second pass. Use brakes (S key) to make the turn tighter if needed.

@Edgecase Thx... It's all about awareness. In fact, I think state of the art playing should be have the BB turn broadside to friendly fire, turn with TBs and finish it:).

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,329 posts
19,492 battles
7 minutes ago, franz_von_goltz said:

@Edgecase Thx... It's all about awareness. In fact, I think state of the art playing should be have the BB turn broadside to friendly fire, turn with TBs and finish it:).

Yup, that's the best way to win. Less farm for the CV though. :Smile_teethhappy: