You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Curly__san

Graf Spee could use a spotter plane.

11 comments in this topic

[A-D-F]
Members
1,163 posts
10,477 battles

Graf Spee is that almost fun little boat that could use a some help. I think a spotter plane option added to the consumable options would be a nice addition. 

A temporary range boost would give Graf a bit more versatility.

Yes, I know the strength of Graf's torpedoes, as do many have found out to their dismay.

She excels at potshots at unaware cruisers.

Her DPM is non-existent.

She can struggle against DD's; and is one of the few cruisers that has trouble disengaging from everything except may Sloworado or New Mex.

A spotter plane that has a two minute up time & a two minute (premium) cool down would giver her a little more threat projection.

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,405 battles

I have the ship and really want to like her but have yet to figure out a useful way to use her aside from using islands to ambush cruisers then retreat.  Unfortunately I don't think a spotter plane would help much as her dispersion won't  allow you to hit anything you can actually damage outside of about 13km anyway.

So far I think the ship is one of those that sounded like a great idea but was given up on at some point.  If anyone who has had great success in her could speak up on builds and playstyle I would love to hear what you have to say.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[KNCOL]
Members
792 posts
1,750 battles

A spotter would be neat but you know what would be even neater.... 10km torps

• Cool 1

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles

10km secondaries would be pretty funny. Give some to secondary range to Huang He too. 

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

She's like a pocket BB. Same guns as Scharnhorst, though actually slightly stronger per shell. Keep her alive till late game and she'll excel. If there were anything I'd want it'd be further improved accuracy.She has better accuracy than Gneisenau, but that's taking an able ship into the special olympics as far as accuracy goes.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Graf Spee is fine as she is now, @LittleWhiteMouse wrote excellent review on the ship and was right about the ship not being for everyone. You can either make the ship work for you and do well in her, or else you can’t and maybe the ship is not for you.

And personally I am fine with the main gun range only being about 16km, because honestly that’s around maximum accurate range of German guns in the game anyway, and it allow you in some cases to kill a ship and not stay detected in rest of enemy team is beyond 16km away. That is one of the nice things about shorter gun ranges I have found is that you can make good use of detection mechanics to sort of do some stealth firing.

Torpedoes on Graf Spee are very impressive as well with phenomenal firing angles hitting power, torpedo detection range, and the fact they are 8km instead of the 6km range that all other German ships have except DDs. Quite often even experienced players can forget or else not be aware of the fact Graf Spee has 8km torpedoes until it’s too late.

And even without any upgrades to them, the secondary guns are surprisingly strong even with how short ranged they are. Granted you don’t get to use they too often, but in the times that they do get to fire they do add to your firepower more than you might expect.

Armor allows you to be a great cruiser killer as not only can you resist shell hits better than most at tier rivals, you also get Repair Party Consumables! And Repair Party is very rare Consumable outside of BBs or high tier ships. This combined with India Delta Signal Flag Grants Graf Spee effective HP well beyond that of her at tier rivals or even some of the tier 7 CAs.

And finally I would like to add that Graf Spee was a product of Treaty Restrictions at the time, and honestly it is extremely impressive what the Germans were able to pull off with designing, building, and operating Graf Spee and her sister ships with the limits they had been under at the time. Had there not been those highly restrictive treaty limits who knows what Germany could have build, after all they had been a major naval power and had the experience in naval construction to build remarkable warships. Reason I mention this is because Wargaming likes adding as much real world historical data as possible into their game vehicles, while only making deviations when needed for game balance. And while this is more of a factor with WOT, it does also come into play in WOWs, just not as easy to exploit to your advantage with Warships as it is with tanks. ( In Tanks you can hit armor weak spots in order to hit crew, fuel tanks, ammo storage, engines, turret travers ring, drive gear for tracks, or even the more difficult disabling the main gun.)

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Graf Spee is fine as she is now, @LittleWhiteMouse wrote excellent review on the ship and was right about the ship not being for everyone. You can either make the ship work for you and do well in her, or else you can’t and maybe the ship is not for you.

Yeah Graf was actually the first super cruiser really :Smile_veryhappy:

Are you happy about the subs Thrawn?

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
9 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Yeah Graf was actually the first super cruiser really :Smile_veryhappy:

Are you happy about the subs Thrawn?

Honestly at this point I am happily optimistic about subs as I foresee them mainly punishing weekend players that either island camp or wander off alone. But if you display even a little teamwork by traveling in groups of 2-3 or more than sub players will likely hesitate to engage, will go elsewhere, or try and attack and get crushed. Because once the alert goes out that a sub is nearby Depth charges, torpedos, and even shells will start hitting the water. This means a surfaced or periscope Depth sub will be in grave danger if multiple surface ships are alerted and attacking. And subs can only attack at periscope Depth or surfaced so to continue an attack attempt on a group of ships will be suicidal. It was often like that in real life, it was like that in Halloween submarines, so odds are it will be like that when Subs get released in WOWs properly. 

So bottom line is subs will be something potentially fun, a reasonable threat, but will certainly have counters to them as well.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Honestly at this point I am happily optimistic about subs as I foresee them mainly punishing weekend players that either island camp or wander off alone.

Isn't that what carriers do? Uh oh....

I had read you were looking forward to them so grats.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
13 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Isn't that what carriers do? Uh oh....

I had read you were looking forward to them so grats.

Yeah well I am used to be flexible and adaptable in my plays style so long as one class is not way too Op. I enjoy playing a variety of things. And as I pointed out Subs will mainly only be good on weekends just like CVs used to be for me since weekday players and teams tend to be smarter. CVs did get spiraled out of control which has left them / will leave them in weaken status to keep balance.

And unlike CVs which get the benefit of being far across the map with their HP pretty much safe, subs will need to attack at closer ranges for torpedo accuracy, have their HP on the line, and that Oxygen limit before surfacing will play major part in placing limits on subs. So smart sub players will have to travel on the surface and only submerge when needed. And even then you will have tough time limits to get in, make your attack, and hopefully evade pursuit before you have to surface again. Yet another problem will be the fear over Subs will cause people to want them destroyed, so odds are very high you could end up with pursuing ships known no that once your time limit is up your dead once surfaced. And finally the map terrain will help with trapping a sub as some places likely will have limited depth, and of course limited escape options. In those ares dropping Depth Charges will be infinitely easier, much like shooting fish on a barrel. Which may limit subs to being more open water combatants. And finally I very much doubt even if subs make it out of their initial special game modes and into Randoms that we would ever see them in Ranked or Clan battles where you don’t even see CVs or at least rarely.

And Graf Spee actually will gain yet another perk to using her, that Hydro, relatively compact size, agility, and her weapons could allow for some sub tracking, and possibly sub destruction if the sub is forced to surface. Not exactly a target I will favor trying to attack with a sub.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,739 posts

I can make the ship work, I like the ship.   

However, I think that the game has moved a bit since it was introduced, the small number of slow-loading and sometimes derpy guns makes for some frustrating battles simply because of the changing makeup of lineups with different ships of different character. 

So, it could use a little tweaking -- say a half second faster reload, a second off the traverse time, a tweak to dispersion and sigma, or some combination... it could be a lot more comfortable ship without any real impact on how it feels to play against it.