Jump to content
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Ok Star Wars IX Might be Good?

43 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,497
[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

After seeing this poster for Star Wars Episode IX, I have to say they now have my attention again. They may finally be realizing the error of their ways and  drawing more inspiration from Expanded Universe Instead where ever they have been getting their ideas.... I just hope I am right and Palatine returns like he did in the Star Wars EU, and cleans house while he is at it because the Last Jedi was shameful incompetence.

34BBFD24-1478-45F4-9708-C023064BD0A7.thumb.png.ebc9be6308800b5c20b36d2f1d20d94b.png

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,442
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,093 posts
18,935 battles

That's a fake poster. This is the real one:

lZD97iS.jpg

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346
[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
4,970 battles

I lost a lot of interest after 8, but I'll go give it a watch when it comes. Didnt they swap directors for episode 8 and are swapping back for 9?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,747
[KWF]
Members
4,363 posts
6,405 battles

I think they saw the disaster of Last Jedi, so they brought the last character for whom a long time fan of the series would give a damn (along with Lando).

At least I hope McDiarmid plays the role again;  he was excellent in all the films. Anyone else or CGI would be heresy.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,497
[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
Just now, _1204_ said:

I lost a lot of interest after 8, but I'll go give it a watch when it comes. Didnt they swap directors for episode 8 and are swapping back for 9?

Pretty sure at least that the director for IX is different than VIII. VIII was just sad how many things made absolutely no sense at all, I mean even the first few minutes like First Order not having deployed TIE Fighters when their targets are known to use Star Fighters, they have a ship that is highly vulnerable to attack by small StarFighters and Bombers and yet no TIE Fighters deployed!? And the list went on from there. Episode VII was ok, but VIII was a disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,063
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,877 posts
4,881 battles

I not going to care much, I might just wait till i can download it or rent it.......but after the last disaster,(yes i paid money to watch it on the big screen) never again.

I hope this one live up the hype as the trailer does

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,087 posts
564 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

That's a fake poster. This is the real one:

lZD97iS.jpg

Pr2tMDe.gif              yRWY5EJ.gif

hZ2W82B.gif         Jp999IL.gif

UbbDXXV.gif         yHKbBAr.gif

 

 

 

  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,900
Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,249 battles

I'll be going to see Episode IX for exactly four reasons.

1: The Millennium Falcon.

2: The Senate.

3: R2-D2

4: C-3PO

I don't care to see them axe off Lando and Chewie like they did Han and Luke or pander to useless/unlikable characters like Rey, Finn, and Poe. If they really wanted to get my interest, they'd shut out Kathleen Kennedy entirely and let Dave Filoni direct and produce. That way, we'd actually get something that is at least close to George Lucas' original vision.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
316
[LSNB]
Members
1,584 posts
4,409 battles

I've already lost much of my faith in the director, but I'll still watch it when it comes out. It's not like I will immediately hit the theaters, though.

Edited by destawaits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,900
Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,249 battles
1 hour ago, MajorRenegade said:

I not going to care much, I might just wait till i can download it or rent it.......but after the last disaster,(yes i paid money to watch it on the big screen) never again.

I hope this one live up the hype as the trailer does

 

Meh. I'll take the revival of TCW instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,063
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,877 posts
4,881 battles
26 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

Meh. I'll take the revival of TCW instead.

I never got around watching clone wars. how is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,063
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,877 posts
4,881 battles
30 minutes ago, destawaits said:

I've already lost much of my faith in the director, but I'll still watch it when it comes out. It's not like I will immediately hit the theaters, though.

the director that did the last jedi won't be coming back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,442
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,093 posts
18,935 battles
14 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

I never got around watching clone wars. how is it?

Pretty good, actually. The lead characters were sympathetic but flawed, the stories were on the whole interesting, they actually put a good bit of depth into Anakin and made him sympathetic without ruining his character arc ... I quite enjoyed it. Worth a watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles

I bet IX will be a flop. VIII, and Disney's reactions towards criticism of the movie burned up a lot of good will in the Star Wars fanbase. Good will once lost is very hard to regain, and imho a good chunk of that hardcore won't bother to go see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,186
[SALVO]
Members
24,776 posts
25,829 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

I'll be going to see Episode IX for exactly four reasons.

1: The Millennium Falcon.

2: The Senate.

3: R2-D2

4: C-3PO

I don't care to see them axe off Lando and Chewie like they did Han and Luke or pander to useless/unlikable characters like Rey, Finn, and Poe. If they really wanted to get my interest, they'd shut out Kathleen Kennedy entirely and let Dave Filoni direct and produce. That way, we'd actually get something that is at least close to George Lucas' original vision.

I'm shocked that Disney didn't do this on general principles.  Heck, I'm shocked that there wasn't a general uprising amongst the stockholders of Disney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,029
[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

The only thing possibly worth checking out in the SW universe now is that Mandalorian show on Disney+ later this year. Other than that, I have zero interest in anything SW. They have absolutely destroyed the franchise at this point, and I'm fully expecting Ep IX to flop as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
759
[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

Doubtful bad writing on top of zero character development and making a certain well known character do a total 180 on his personality as whole have pretty much rendered this trilogy with nothing to offer.

 

I hope it tanks and SW franchise as whole with it.(Obligatory F*ck Disney and F*ck EA too)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,415
[STW-N]
Members
4,083 posts
9,555 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Pretty sure at least that the director for IX is different than VIII. VIII was just sad how many things made absolutely no sense at all, I mean even the first few minutes like First Order not having deployed TIE Fighters when their targets are known to use Star Fighters, they have a ship that is highly vulnerable to attack by small StarFighters and Bombers and yet no TIE Fighters deployed!? And the list went on from there. Episode VII was ok, but VIII was a disaster.

JJ Abrams directed TFA and is slated to direct Rise of Skywalker; Rian Johnson directed Last Jedi.

1 hour ago, MajorRenegade said:

I never got around watching clone wars. how is it?

First couple seasons are of mixed quality (although I personally like them all), but season 3 and up are universally considered to be excellent.

1 hour ago, MajorRenegade said:

the director that did the last jedi won't be coming back. 

Not for the main Star Wars franchise, no, but he was apparently given his own Star Wars trilogy separate from the main saga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
267
[GC]
Alpha Tester
821 posts
3,958 battles

The poster is pretty sick, but it's gonna take more than that to get me back on the Star Wars hype train. At this point, I've very little interest in seeing Ep IX at all, though I might consider it pending reviews from sources I trust. The Mandalorian trailer looks promising, at least. Cautious optimism, there. I still trust Favreau.

--Helms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,900
Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,249 battles
23 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

I never got around watching clone wars. how is it?

 

22 hours ago, Lert said:

Pretty good, actually. The lead characters were sympathetic but flawed, the stories were on the whole interesting, they actually put a good bit of depth into Anakin and made him sympathetic without ruining his character arc ... I quite enjoyed it. Worth a watch.

In my opinion, @Lert is understating it. TCW is probably my favourite TV show I've ever seen and it's what got me into Star Wars in the first place. I'd recommend it to anyone who has an interest in Star Wars.

 

21 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

JJ Abrams directed TFA and is slated to direct Rise of Skywalker; Rian Johnson directed Last Jedi.

That means nothing to me. Rey was still more of a plot device than a character and Kylo Ren was a whiny loser instead of an menacing villain in TFA. As I pointed out earlier, I largely lay the blame for the sequels being bad at the feet of Kathleen Kennedy. So long as she's the one at the reins rather than George Lucas (or someone who knows George Lucas' original plan like Dave Filoni), the sequels are going to be atrocious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,900
Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,249 battles
22 hours ago, Crucis said:

I'm shocked that Disney didn't do this on general principles.  Heck, I'm shocked that there wasn't a general uprising amongst the stockholders of Disney.

They don't care because the movie made them filthy rich. TLJ garnered $1.332 billion at the box office and currently sits as the 13th highest grossing movie in history. They all sat up in their ivory tower counting their money while the world burned around them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,186
[SALVO]
Members
24,776 posts
25,829 battles
8 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

They don't care because the movie made them filthy rich. TLJ garnered $1.332 billion at the box office and currently sits as the 13th highest grossing movie in history. They all sat up in their ivory tower counting their money while the world burned around them.

Well, they should care.  I think that the fans' unhappiness hurt the performance of the Solo movie, as well as attendance at their new Star Wars theme park.  And may affect future stuff too.  TLJ got by based on past reputation, but I think that Disney has probably burned up a lot of the good will of their fans.  And if they want to win it back, they need to be more forward looking rather than fiddling while the franchise "burns" from the dissatisfaction of those fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,497
[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
17 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

The poster is pretty sick, but it's gonna take more than that to get me back on the Star Wars hype train. At this point, I've very little interest in seeing Ep IX at all, though I might consider it pending reviews from sources I trust. The Mandalorian trailer looks promising, at least. Cautious optimism, there. I still trust Favreau.

--Helms

Except for the fact that instead of Netflix or another common means of viewing Mandalorian and the other upcoming Star Wars TV shows you will instead have to subscribe to Disney Plus... Which naturally has monthly fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,497
[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Well, they should care.  I think that the fans' unhappiness hurt the performance of the Solo movie, as well as attendance at their new Star Wars theme park.  And may affect future stuff too.  TLJ got by based on past reputation, but I think that Disney has probably burned up a lot of the good will of their fans.  And if they want to win it back, they need to be more forward looking rather than fiddling while the franchise "burns" from the dissatisfaction of those fans.

If he had not been busy with Clone Wars, Rebels, And now more Clone Wars Dave Filoni might have been a better choice for a Director since he would know not to cross certain lines and allow Star Wars movies to end up like TLJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,415
[STW-N]
Members
4,083 posts
9,555 battles
3 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

That means nothing to me. Rey was still more of a plot device than a character and Kylo Ren was a whiny loser instead of an menacing villain in TFA. As I pointed out earlier, I largely lay the blame for the sequels being bad at the feet of Kathleen Kennedy. So long as she's the one at the reins rather than George Lucas (or someone who knows George Lucas' original plan like Dave Filoni), the sequels are going to be atrocious.

I mean, I personally blame Rian Johnson more, considering that I found TFA to be ok as a starter film for the new trilogy and JJ Abrams was directing that. I think JJ intended to use TLJ to elaborate on a lot more plot points in TFA but Rian Johnson burned those bridges, so to speak. And I think it's worth noting too that they aren't intending to make Kylo Ren a Vader-esque figure so much as a Vader-wannabe; in other words I think the portrayal of Kylo as a weak and emotionally in turmoil is a deliberate decision.

I will concede, though, that so far I have not found a single villain from the new trilogy to be truly menacing.

3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If he had not been busy with Clone Wars, Rebels, And now more Clone Wars Dave Filoni might have been a better choice for a Director since he would know not to cross certain lines and allow Star Wars movies to end up like TLJ. 

I think it's more accurate to say Filoni knows both how not to cross certain lines and to cross other lines in a way that's acceptable to the Star Wars lore.

I mean, in Rebels I think he nailed the concept of time travel with the whole Mortis force portal thing, even though there were a million ways that could have broken the Star Wars universe had he messed up there.

It's a shame he's tied up with Resistance right now though; IMO they should use his talents much more in the main film series instead of a spinoff TV show. The cost of Rise of Skywalker failing overshadows the cost of Resistance failing significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×