You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
commodore_torakula

I made it past 10,000 missions altogether....time for an AMA

54 comments in this topic

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles

....So I made it past a nice round ten thousand matches recently, counting my randoms, coops, and ranked battles, and although I hesitate to start a new topic on it, I feel like I can learn a great deal from any questions you all might have about my experience with the game so far, given the fact that I've had some neat takeaways from Warships over the past 4 years (almost).

....I hope you will all ask me some questions in a civil tone....That's not asking a lot, is it?....I know the salt both in game and in our RL can get to us at times, but I think we all come here basically to enjoy a form of competition that doesn't really hurt anybody....(Alright, it has hurt my wallet a little bit).

....That said, feel free to crack some jokes and attempt to denigrate my meager statistics....I welcome your commentary with eager eyes....Thanks in advance to @Burnsy and @HazeGrayUnderway and @LittleWhiteMouse and @TheFerretArmy and @Wolfblade94 and whoever else has had an interesting comment to make here on my threads or has happened to see me on the virtual waves.....They are the kind of competitors I have grown to like, however infrequently I might've seen them.  I would also like to thank my former clan CO, @BBsquid for telling me off and cutting me from his clan when we locked horns over politics....It wasn't his fault I couldn't participate in Clan Battles with TF_34 as much as he would've liked.

....Btw if there's anybody out there I've insulted in the game chat, do forgive me.  I have cracked many a joke on the basis of controversial stuff, and not everybody's going to think that's appropriate....I don't care about people's feelings sometimes, just the laughter.

-- @commodore_torakula

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

Members
1,092 posts
2 hours ago, commodore_torakula said:

....So I made it past a nice round ten thousand matches recently, counting my randoms, coops, and ranked battles, and although I hesitate to start a new topic on it, I feel like I can learn a great deal from any questions you all might have about my experience with the game so far, given the fact that I've had some neat takeaways from Warships over the past 4 years (almost).

....I hope you will all ask me some questions in a civil tone....That's not asking a lot, is it?....I know the salt both in game and in our RL can get to us at times, but I think we all come here basically to enjoy a form of competition that doesn't really hurt anybody....(Alright, it has hurt my wallet a little bit).

....That said, feel free to crack some jokes and attempt to denigrate my meager statistics....I welcome your commentary with eager eyes....Thanks in advance to @Burnsy and @HazeGrayUnderway and @LittleWhiteMouse and @TheFerretArmy and @Wolfblade94 and whoever else has had an interesting comment to make here on my threads or has happened to see me on the virtual waves.....They are the kind of competitors I have grown to like, however infrequently I might've seen them.  I would also like to thank my former clan CO, @BBsquid for telling me off and cutting me from his clan when we locked horns over politics....It wasn't his fault I couldn't participate in Clan Battles with TF_34 as much as he would've liked.

....Btw if there's anybody out there I've insulted in the game chat, do forgive me.  I have cracked many a joke on the basis of controversial stuff, and not everybody's going to think that's appropriate....I don't care about people's feelings sometimes, just the laughter.

-- @commodore_torakula

Congrats

• Cool 1

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles

If there was something you would change about cruisers that would make you play them more, what would it be?

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,454 posts
15,361 battles

How do you keep farts from making everyone sick in a submarine?

• Funny 1

[PTRGT]
Members
395 posts
46,354 battles

It's nice to admit you have a problem. That's the 1st step to recovery :cap_haloween:

..its too late for me as I roll up to 31,000 games but I have no life :Smile_facepalm:

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
On 8/24/2019 at 10:01 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

If nothing else you're likely suffering less from burnout than I am.

....Good point....Maybe it's odd the way I've never given up on this game....People go on and on in the port chat about how much they hate it now or can't stand this or that about it, or think WG should "go to hell," etc....I remember the first few weeks I played back in Oct./Nov. of 2015 I sometimes would say to myself, Man, I'm playing this too much....I should try to go 2 hours without playing....You know, I just try to keep a positive mental attitude about enjoying myself here for about an hour or two every day....And that's that.

Edited by commodore_torakula
poor turn of phrase

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
7 hours ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

Congrats

LOL right?....10,000 anythings is a big to do....I'd like to think another 10,000 will be just as fun....stay tuned.

• Cool 1

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
7 hours ago, enderland07 said:

Whats your favorite ship?

What's your favorite memory of WoWS?

Both good questions....My most-played ship is the Kagero at about 650 matches....I played her and the Benson in a platoon for the longest time while getting the Yamamoto campaign done....I've often joked about her having a "cloaking device" here on the forums because of her nonpareil concealment....I've always enjoyed being a stealth torper more than any other type of player....

....But now my two favorites are the Konig Albert and the Campbeltown....

....PS I know I answered your question with 3 ships instead of 1 but it's kind of like, Don't make me choose...Having a new ship to conn in this game has always been the thing I like best here.

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
3 hours ago, Yoshiblue said:

If there was something you would change about cruisers that would make you play them more, what would it be?

Hmmm....TBH, I played every cruiser line in the tech tree (except the Pan-Asians) up to T7 or 8, and eventually concluded that cruisers and I just cannot do well together....So I kept being a DD/BB main like I still am now.

....Because I bought a Graf Spee with real $, though, I kept it....I'm not confident enough with it to take it into randoms, but I have enjoyed using it in co-op....It's a fun ship there.

....So what would I change about cruisers that'd make me play them more?....I would make sure they all had good enough torpedoes (barring the American ones who historically didn't have them) to tackle a BB in a one-on-one fight without getting dusted so easily by a good BB players main battery.

....Also I have floated topics here a while back about how we should have night battles, or at least something more than the only "night battle" we had, the Cherry Blossom op.  If we did, we could have BB/CA/CL/DD radar and go at it hammer and tongs like the USN/IJN battles around Guadalcanal were fought in 1942-3....Of course, only the American side had radar in those 5 battles--which would seem a bit unfair in the game--so that would probably have to be offset somehow to make the scenario better.

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
On 8/25/2019 at 3:04 AM, desmo_2 said:

How do you keep farts from making everyone sick in a submarine?

For starters, I don't....I've toured several museum submarines though, and I suppose that comes up as a vexing question for the crew....If the noisome substance in the farts is hydrogen disulfide like I think it is, then all you have to do nowadays is process it with the ventilation system of the sub....The crew doesn't have to breathe each others' farts forever, of course--the boat will eventually get to surface unless it is sunk....I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a submarine crew member it's best to fart as little as possible if you can and watch your diet....Does that make sense?....I hope so.

Edited by commodore_torakula
typo

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
5 hours ago, DeathsStalker said:

It's nice to admit you have a problem. That's the 1st step to recovery :cap_haloween:

..its too late for me as I roll up to 31,000 games but I have no life :Smile_facepalm:

I heard that....I think you should try to view your time spent here as win-win though, because the opposite of having no life is being alive itself, surely....The Buddha said, "All life is sorrowful," but that doesn't mean you should conclude your time spent playing this game has been pure sorrow....I wonder though, do you suppose 31,000 games is some sort of record for having played this game that many times?....The math nerd in my wants to give you a big hug and put a medal around your gamer neck....

• Cool 1

[PTRGT]
Members
395 posts
46,354 battles
9 minutes ago, commodore_torakula said:

.I wonder though, do you suppose 31,000 games is some sort of record for having played this game that many times?

I know that someone was over at almost 32,000 when I hit 30,000 but never really worried about records. I play a ton during the winter when there is noting to do since I HATE snow even though I live in Canada. it also helps that I'm retired so I have lots of free time now and I don't watch TV, play cards or talk about the good old days.....

• Cool 2

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
Just now, DeathsStalker said:

I know that someone was over at almost 32,000 when I hit 30,000 but never really worried about records. I play a ton during the winter when there is noting to do since I HATE snow even though I live in Canada. it also helps that I'm retired so I have lots of free time now and I don't watch TV, play cards or talk about the good old days.....

Word up....Unlike you, though, I spend too much time just checking out my stats/records....It must be nice to have so much free time, eh?....Also, good on you for not watching TV--that makes you a rare bird indeed....I used to be the bank at a weekly poker game when I was back in college....Now the only cards I play is the occaisional 21 (blackjack)....As for reminiscing about the good old days--I feel that these are the good old days....You know?....I try to live in the moment.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,812 posts
4,631 battles

10,000.  Whew, that's a lot.  :Smile_medal:

I don't recall having had the pleasure of blowing you up, but I look forward to it in the future. :fish_viking:

• Cool 1

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

10,000.  Whew, that's a lot.  :Smile_medal:

I don't recall having had the pleasure of blowing you up, but I look forward to it in the future. :fish_viking:

Duckperson, I want to tell you in all sincerity that we definitely got off on the wrong foot here, compadre....When I saw you had posted a video of a feral cat that got adopted I had a change of heart....In all likelihood we'll never meet in randoms, but if we do, I'm sure I can rely on my luck to detonate you in about half a minute....MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....That's how crazy I am....I live in a fantasy world, and I dig it.

• Cool 1

[NFJF]
Members
654 posts
9,903 battles
16 hours ago, enderland07 said:

Whats your favorite ship?

What's your favorite memory of WoWS?

Montana right now "probably Ohio when released"

Dev striking a full health midway 22km away with Conqueror AP 

[ADOPT]
Members
1,271 posts
8,358 battles

What ships do you plan to play going forwards?

Also congrats on the 10k wins!

Edited by Silver_kun

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
Just now, DouglasMacAwful said:

Do you like movies about gladiators?

Straight out of Airplane, which was a classic....Well played....You wanted to hurt me and you did....By sheer coincidence I watched Gladiator recently....I liked it more this time than the first time back in '98, although of course I had to allow for an off-road suspension of disbelief because history majors like me know that Commodus wasn't slain in the arena and there was no Maximus....Furthermore, I think the historical Marcus Aurelius was in fact an upright wielder of imperator (in the Latin), given his philosophical bent and what wisdom he might've attained during his reign.  That's all I have to say about that.

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
3 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

What ships do you plan to play going forwards?

Also congrats on the 10k wins!

I think you misread the OP....I have played a total of 10,000 some odd matches (missions).   I'm not perfect, I just strive to be....But thanks for the 'grats.

• Cool 1

Members
3,598 posts
13,004 battles
2 minutes ago, commodore_torakula said:

Straight out of Airplane, which was a classic....Well played....You wanted to hurt me and you did....By sheer coincidence I watched Gladiator recently....I liked it more this time than the first time back in '98, although of course I had to allow for an off-road suspension of disbelief because history majors like me know that Commodus wasn't slain in the arena and there was no Maximus....Furthermore, I think the historical Marcus Aurelius was in fact an upright wielder of imperator (in the Latin), given his philosophical bent and what wisdom he might've attained during his reign.  That's all I have to say about that.

Did you think Gladiator was a documentary prior to watching it? hehe

Members
1,577 posts
11,642 battles
1 minute ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Did you think Gladiator was a documentary prior to watching it? hehe

I was aware it was fictional....We're talking about Hollywood here, not the real world.  You can always tell from the advertising that Hollywood is putting out a middle brow product for 6th graders that we can all be entertained by....That's just my two cents on Hollywood....But I must say it's not a bad flick if you dig gore on the screen and people intriguing against each other in high places....It wasn't a complete waste of 2 hours.

Members
3,598 posts
13,004 battles
10 minutes ago, commodore_torakula said:

I was aware it was fictional....We're talking about Hollywood here, not the real world.  You can always tell from the advertising that Hollywood is putting out a middle brow product for 6th graders that we can all be entertained by....That's just my two cents on Hollywood....But I must say it's not a bad flick if you dig gore on the screen and people intriguing against each other in high places....It wasn't a complete waste of 2 hours.

Of course, it's all about the bread and circus.