Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gospel_

OOOHHH BOY SUBS (added more videos)

42 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,066 posts

I think that subs will really enhance the game. After all, we are playing a WWI-WWII game and subs played an integral part of the naval warfare of the time. I'm really looking forward to launching depth charges from my Gearing.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

[NUWES]
Members
2,681 posts
8,593 battles

Was there any gameplay video. The cinematic is very nice but I am more interested in seeing how it plays. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
715 posts
23 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Was there any gameplay video. The cinematic is very nice but I am more interested in seeing how it plays. 

gameplay was shown on the stream, watch NA recap later today

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles
28 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Homing torpedoes that do citadels and wild goose chases are selling points. 

[5BS]
Members
8,695 posts
29 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

52 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

And people were saying that DDs wouldnt be driven by people. 

Members
1,951 posts
6,170 battles

They were not part of Naval warfare. They parked and waited for the bus to come by and sank it! Airplanes took them out left and right. CV's should take them out quickly with there rockets sub's are not armored,

Edited by Raven114
  • Cool 2

Members
455 posts
8,656 battles
32 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Added another video

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,027 posts
4,921 battles
36 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think that subs will really enhance the game. After all, we are playing a WWI-WWII game and subs played an integral part of the naval warfare of the time. I'm really looking forward to launching depth charges from my Gearing.

I’m looking forward to it too.  It can spice up the game in a good way.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,701 posts
11,820 battles
41 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

They were a part of naval warfare in the same way that the French Resistance were part of the Normandy invasion.

They sucker punched the other guy when they weren’t looking and then ran away. They stayed the heck away from any actual fighting  between the two sides, then sucker punched anyone they could find on the way there or anyone they could find afterwards.

Adding subs to this game is like putting French resistance fighters on Omaha Beach. With people claiming that they DO belong there because “they were used to fight the Germans”.

• Boring 1

[ANIME]
Members
16 posts
7,997 battles

I really am looking forward to the submarines. This is just MY opinion but to leave them out is like leaving out bombers in a plane game, or tank destroyers out in a tank game. They were a huge part of naval battle in the first half of the 20th century which is where all our ships center around. I've been looking forward to this for a long time but am fine with the wait as long as they bring them in where it isn't game breaking. I really feel they have a place in this game and I'm glad WG had the balls to swallow their pride a little with the initial "submarines will never be in WOWS" and go ahead and put them in. Plus, submarines and uboats are just cool looking and will look great in the port. And all DD's should be happy because I do believe this type of boat will have an incredible skill floor and some might terrorize the seas with them. But most will die quickly and fruitlessly under the depth charges of the destroyers, racking up more xp and damage. We will see though.

[5BS]
Members
8,695 posts
19 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

They were a part of naval warfare in the same way that the French Resistance were part of the Normandy invasion. 

They sucker punched the other guy when they weren’t looking and then ran away.

Woah there's a lot to unpack there... for one, Subs sank more ships, more *war*ships, than any other type of ship. For two, subs partook in every major sea battle of the war, accounting for at least *1* warship sunk in each, even if it was just a destroyer or two. For 3, subs are basically the reason the US and Japan did not require a 1918 style Armistice as it was the supply chain problems that dragged them down considerably (Despite their [edited] navy and army). For 4, the French Resistance played a much bigger role in the Normandy Invasion than sucker punching the Nazi's; they also set up initial landing sites (Path-finders for Path-Finders) provided ongoing intelligence, diverted enemy tanks and provided counter intelligence, and actively destroyed railways and artillery that would have made the landings that much more problematic.

• Cool 3
  • Angry 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,066 posts
16 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Adding subs to this game is like putting French resistance fighters on Omaha Beach. With people claiming that they DO belong there because “they were used to fight the Germans”.

Submarines sank more ships in WWII than any other ship class except for carriers. The USS Tang alone sank 33 ships. The USS Iowa assisted in the sinking of three ships. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[_-_]
Members
2,740 posts
7,757 battles

Well, so far it doesn't look like something I'd want to play or play against.

Luckily for me, my game library is pretty big. Lot's of other titles.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[ADR]
[ADR]
Members
173 posts
36 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

For two, subs partook in every major sea battle of the war, accounting for at least *1* warship sunk in each, even if it was just a destroyer or two. 

That's not even kind of true.

• Cool 1

[ADR]
[ADR]
Members
173 posts
39 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Submarines sank more ships in WWII than any other ship class except for carriers. The USS Tang alone sank 33 ships. The USS Iowa assisted in the sinking of three ships. 

True, but I last time I went in to a battle I don't remember seeing any unarmed transports in queue....

[NUWES]
Members
2,681 posts
8,593 battles

I'm interested in trying it. I'm still not sure how well it will integrate into the main game but it looks like a fun minigame like an operation. My biggest concern in the main game is that no one other than DDs has a way to counter them when they are submerged. Historically some cruisers carried depth charge racks although how well cruisers used them is debatable. For game purposes it may be useful to have at least some cruisers do it even if they weren't great at it to make it less likely that a team is left with no counter (or thanks to matchmaker never had one in the first place.) It is also odd that hydro and radar can't detect a submarine at periscope depth. Real WWII radar absolutely could detect a submarine at periscope depth. Hydro on the game doesn't work like real-world hydrophones. It's more like an active sonar, butthat could detect a sub at any depth as could real-world hydrophones. 

[5BS]
Members
8,695 posts
8 minutes ago, Kuriour said:

That's not even kind of true.

It may depend on how you define a major sea battle, but it most certainly is.

2 minutes ago, Kuriour said:

True, but I last time I went in to a battle I don't remember seeing any unarmed transports in queue....

T
Subs sank more warships than Destroyers. Hell, they sank more destroyers than destroyers. They sank more cruisers than cruisers did. They sank more BATTLESHIPS than Battleships did (especially if you include human torpedoes).

Edited by _RC1138

Beta Testers
76 posts
1,841 battles

I watched the game play this morning.  It looks really good so far.  The big down side for me is the even tier only tech tree.  Starting at tier 6.  that's even smaller than the CV trees!

[ADR]
[ADR]
Members
173 posts
11 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

It may depend on how you define a major sea battle, but it most certainly is.

We can start with...this and go from there.

Submarines apparently took part in 1 out of 25 US pacific battles, and at no time were they particularly close to friendly battle fleets. Do I need to break down the rest of the countries, or can you do your own research?

Edited by Kuriour

[SBS]
Members
4,988 posts
2,408 battles
15 minutes ago, Cpt_Whiskey72 said:

I watched the game play this morning.  It looks really good so far.  The big down side for me is the even tier only tech tree.  Starting at tier 6.  that's even smaller than the CV trees!

I'm holding out hope this is just for testing. 

[GREIF]
Members
245 posts
3,791 battles
3 hours ago, Scrapyard_ said:

Now add in DD is trying to cap -- while dodging fire from other DDs and Cruisers -- and also the RED CV has decided to rocket the sub hunting DD.    

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
8,695 posts
22 minutes ago, Kuriour said:

We can start with...this and go from there.

Submarines apparently took part in 1 out of 25 US pacific battles, and at no time were they particularly close to friendly battle fleets. Do I need to break down the rest of the countries, or can you do your own research? 

Took part is a nebulous standard and meaning. One could certainty argue that subs did not take part in the Battle of the Philippine sea as a strict order of battle, but that doesn't change the fact the Shok was sunk by Cavalla. We generally don't think of it, but Subs were present during the Battle for the Bismarck, and sank 2 German submarines in the general area.

Submarines are the forgotten service (ontop of silent) and do not get the warfighting credit they deserve.

13 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm holding out hope this is just for testing. 

Ehh we said the same thing when RN CV's were announced so I wouldn't hold my breath, not initially at least.

Edited by _RC1138

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,701 posts
11,820 battles
34 minutes ago, Kuriour said:

Subs would attack you while you were in queue or at the battle results screen.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this