You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jimmybobcornflake

Research Bureau & "Veteran Players"

117 comments in this topic

Members
156 posts

What defines a "Veteran Player?"

Really though, what does? I am still wondering how WG see's the pre-requisite of "5 Tier X Ships" a fair and acceptable entry point for this new activity. When in reality... it couldn't be further from it.

Lots of players don't have multiple tier X ships or even ANY tier X ships that have been playing this game for years.  Why are they excluded from this? In my case, I have only two tier X ships.  République & Henry IV. I am a HUGE french navy ship fan and enjoy the speedy play-style they allow me to have.  I will be getting the Italian cruisers when they embark because they have a very niche play-style.. "big gun that go boom and is invisible ( full speed smoke  )"

If WG was to not change it any-time in the future, then I would be up to 3 lines  ( having the Italian cruisers researched ). Still unable to reset a branch.

In order for me to partake in this, I have to get 3 other lines ( or 2 if the Italian cruisers come out before any changes are made ) that I simply have no interest in playing whatsoever, to then be eligible to play? No, that's wrong. The requirement should be removed in it's entirety or reverted to what was initially announced by Kami, "who has at least two tier X re-searchable ships in port"

I can't be the only one here who is in the same boat as me. Lots of players are excluded from this because "veteran players" are classified as holders of many tier X ships when it shouldn't be that way. 

I guess I have been playing the game all wrong if I don't have several tier X ships? 

Also 

Lets be honest.. the Research Bureau is a cash cow.You don't have to be a genius to see why. You only have to peak your nose into the premium shop right now.

TODAY ( August 21 2019 ) the new update which rolled out RB also landed a few new premium shop goodies for purchase.Screenshot_3.thumb.png.dd5f12a3b1d1df075648c6068d763312.png

All these "support" bundles to help ease the players for regrinding. However... I could of sworn/heard I read somewhere that you wanted players to  remember the earlier experiences in the game". Found it.  here is a link to that video. Start the video at 3:00 and listen away.

Now if WG wanted players to take their time through this and remember those earlier experiences/ with  the grind, why would they bring out these bundles to help move them quicker to the higher tiers again? 

They don't. They know the majority of the lower tier ships are very unplayable in stock configuration. They know very well you don't want to play those.  If they wanted to make you play those, they could simply put some earn-able research bureau tokens on the lower tier ships... but instead they keep it at 6 and above only. 

I am not outraged that this entire activity is a cash cow... but WG playing it off as some sort of " enjoy the old times and earn something new" is really far-fetched. 

I don't expect WG to come out and blatantly mention this is a cash grab.. but from the responses on the YT videos on how they explained how it works and the goals are... the majority of players don't want it. 

They can get more players to partake in this by simply reverting the requirement or removing it in its entirety. Why would it be a bad thing? It wouldn't be. ( for their pockets )

I know I am probably going to get flamed, and that's fine. I am a grown man. I can take feedback. I just feel after 3 years of playing this game, loving this game, supporting this game by purchasing premium ships/ time, doubloons, camo.. you name it... I feel jaded that I am left out. This is how I feel. I was so excited initially with the NTC. I wasn't keen on the rewards they were offering at the time, but the concept of it I was 100% on board with. 

Jimbob.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,740 posts
14,494 battles

Longtime players who don’t want T10 ships want to be able to... participate in an event that principally rewards... T10 ships... :cap_old:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 10

[KMK]
Members
218 posts
9,723 battles

Sorry man, I have been playing this game for one year and 4 months, and have 11 tier X.... so dont understand. If you play since 3 years ago... dont you have free XP and credits to research another branch??

I see lot of vetenas sitting in huge amounts of free XP and credits

Members
156 posts
6 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Longtime players who don’t want T10 ships want to be able to... participate in an event that principally rewards... T10 ships... :cap_old:

Who ever said players DON'T want tier X ships? I have tier X ships. I never said I didn't want them. I am just picky about the ones I want. 

• Cool 1

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
749 posts
10,897 battles

I've been playing since CB, so I'm going to assume that makes me a veteran player.  Just got my 3rd T10 the other day.  Haven't much cared for the T10 game meta or the quality of the game play.  With the addition of the STEAM community and with WG making a huge push at giving away and selling T9-10 ships it's only gotten worse.  I just don't see myself participating in the Research Bureau anytime in the near future.

• Cool 1

[KSE]
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,616 posts
15,405 battles
5 minutes ago, Jimmybobcornflake said:

Who ever said players DON'T want tier X ships? I have tier X ships. I never said I didn't want them. I am just picky about the ones I want. 

Your choice is a valid one, but you are not Wargamings choice for this game feature.  You can't have everything without doing everything, so this feature is designed for the players who HAVE done everything, and are looking for more.

If you don't like the terms, you don't have to participate.  If they lower the terms so that even people with only 3 lines can easily obtain the rewards, then you quickly bore the people this feature was designed for in the first place.

I have every tier 10 tech tree, and most of the reward tier 10's, and I'm not sure if I want to do this, but I will probably try a line I liked the lower tiers at and rarely play the tier 10 at - win for me, win for wargaming.

• Cool 2

Members
156 posts
10 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Your choice is a valid one, but you are not Wargamings choice for this game feature.  You can't have everything without doing everything, so this feature is designed for the players who HAVE done everything, and are looking for more.

If you don't like the terms, you don't have to participate.  If they lower the terms so that even people with only 3 lines can easily obtain the rewards, then you quickly bore the people this feature was designed for in the first place.

I have every tier 10 tech tree, and most of the reward tier 10's, and I'm not sure if I want to do this, but I will probably try a line I liked the lower tiers at and rarely play the tier 10 at - win for me, win for wargaming.

Hey I understand your point of view. I respect that. But that's not how it's being sold to me any many others.. Myself and many others see this as nothing more than a cash cow for Wargaming and as already stated, I am not opposed to that.  This is not about time spent. Wargaming tried to pitch this as a way to get players to play lower tier ships again. To the days of enjoyment of lower tier battles. I'm good with that too. I simply want to partake without being forced to grind lines I have no interest in. That's it in a nutshell. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,847 battles

@Jimmybobcornflake told all so! Much to my surprise, shock and chagrin I find this morning that I am 1 ship shy of 5 tier 10s. I am relieved that I don't have to go through any of this mess yet.

• Cool 1

Members
53 posts

P.S.   Wargaming please understand that to many players (not all but many of us ) the number #1 reason that we like this game is the satisfaction and accomplishment we feel when we finally unlock a ship.   Now you want us to delete those ships and our accomplishments that took us so long to get.   Which is the #1 reason so many of us like this game in the first place.   Can you see how this undermines your game?  

And not only this, but you want us to buy items in the premium shop to help us regrind our previous accomplishments which would now be deleted even faster . .. 

As a player and customer of the game, I do not see any accomplishment and satisfaction in that for me.  It just drives me away from the game.

. . . .  Sighs

• Cool 1

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
759 posts
51 minutes ago, Feyevich said:

Sorry man, I have been playing this game for one year and 4 months, and have 11 tier X.... so dont understand. If you play since 3 years ago... dont you have free XP and credits to research another branch??

I see lot of vetenas sitting in huge amounts of free XP and credits

Question is deciding to use the free to for the grind or sit on it and maybe grab free stuff . I have only 3 T 10 ships been playing since open beta . Not everyone does things the same way . It all depends on the player.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

WG's idea of a solution: Buy gold, convert FXP, buy required lines to Tier 10 to qualify without being "forced" to play them.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,262 posts
31 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

WG's idea of a solution: Buy gold, convert FXP, buy required lines to Tier 10 to qualify without being "forced" to play them.

*again

Members
53 posts
5 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@jones_farragut_nimitz participation is voluntary and no one forces anyone to spend money on any thing

Thank you for your reply, but I never said we were forced to do the Research Bureau.  I just said that is what Wargaming wants us to do and I said that goes against many player's sense of progression and accomplishment in the game which I think undermines the game.

There is a poll up on the EU forum right now.

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/122532-will-you-reset-in-the-research-bureau/

And only around 15% of players said that the Research Bureau was a good idea.  Over 62% said it was a bad idea and the rest said they did not know. 

Members
53 posts
5 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@jones_farragut_nimitz participation is voluntary and no one forces anyone to spend money on any thing

But wait isn't the game forcing people, who don't know about the opt-in, to pay for the "Free" captain skills reset . . .

If you want to reset your captain skills due to all the changes, you have to pay for the "Free reset" unless you find the button buried in the middle of the update notes page and log into your account on the web page and opt in.   ( That is just bad business and disrespectful to the player base )  

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/198626-psa-free-skill-reset/

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/ctf910/psa_free_commander_respec_with_087_the_wg_way/

why do we have to opt in to a free captain skills reset?  This was not the case for the last 2 resets.

And yep, those who do not know about this ( which is many players ) are being forced to pay for something which was advertised as being free for 7 days.   

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,847 battles

@jones_farragut_nimitz Those who aren't smart enough to look at and read the news for such stuff shouldn't be playing this game. 

Besides the website the news is in the port screen just click on your game name.

No pity for those who don't or won't make the effort to stay informed. 

I read all the news about 8.7 and the skills reset opt-in before I press play this morning. 

I think the RB is a bad idea also.

[MBK]
Members
2 posts
14,254 battles

What he said. vv 

7 hours ago, jones_farragut_nimitz said:

P.S.   Wargaming please understand that to many players (not all but many of us ) the number #1 reason that we like this game is the satisfaction and accomplishment we feel when we finally unlock a ship.   Now you want us to delete those ships and our accomplishments that took us so long to get.   Which is the #1 reason so many of us like this game in the first place.   Can you see how this undermines your game?  

And not only this, but you want us to buy items in the premium shop to help us regrind our previous accomplishments which would now be deleted even faster . .. 

As a player and customer of the game, I do not see any accomplishment and satisfaction in that for me.  It just drives me away from the game.

. . . .  Sighs

I like participating in the events.  I like having goals and getting rewards (even nominal ones).  I love my Mino.  If I have to give up playing it until I regrind the entire UK cruiser line I'll pass.

[WOLF3]
Members
23,562 posts
21,117 battles
On 8/21/2019 at 8:15 AM, FrodoFraggin said:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[P2W]
Members
1,291 posts

I cant speak for any other "veteran players" but as an old salty beta guy I am leaving the 10,000 bonus points to rot and refuse to touch the research bureau.

It was pretty clear that the player base did not want this but yet it was jammed down our throats.

I refuse to do anything with it until I am forced to do so but it cant be shut down now without compensation going out to players who fell for this so I guess we are stuck with it now.

[USNR]
Members
293 posts
3,724 battles
On 8/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, Viper069 said:

I've been playing since CB, so I'm going to assume that makes me a veteran player.  Just got my 3rd T10 the other day.  Haven't much cared for the T10 game meta or the quality of the game play.  With the addition of the STEAM community and with WG making a huge push at giving away and selling T9-10 ships it's only gotten worse.  I just don't see myself participating in the Research Bureau anytime in the near future.

What is exactly wrong about WG adding the STEAM community? I play via steam and I probably would have not gotten back into this game if Steam had not reminded me of it when I got a rig that I could actually play games on. 

Members
156 posts
21 hours ago, DESRON10 said:

I cant speak for any other "veteran players" but as an old salty beta guy I am leaving the 10,000 bonus points to rot and refuse to touch the research bureau.

It was pretty clear that the player base did not want this but yet it was jammed down our throats.

I refuse to do anything with it until I am forced to do so but it cant be shut down now without compensation going out to players who fell for this so I guess we are stuck with it now.

I can understand that it wasn't wanted by many, but WG needed something to keep the players who literally have "everything", a reason to keep playing and dangle that yummy carrot on the end. However, optional as it is, limiting it to players who have 5 X ships as a requirement, is wrong and just stupid. 

WeeGee doesn't understand what they have done. Alienating their player-base for an activity based on tier X ships owned.  REALLY?  That's WG for you,  but I am going to continue regurgitating what I have been saying all along and that this requirement needs to be removed or reduced. The RB is optional and that has been expressed by many players and WG staff, but the requirement is not optional. It's MANDATORY. If you don't have this, you can't do this. Nuff said. Don't like it? We GE   don't care. That is what I am seeing here. I have 2 tier X ships. They have locked the activity behind a massive grind wall for those who don't have 5, in which they need to get 5, to then start. It just isn't right at all. 

[BB22]
Members
56 posts
8,566 battles
On 8/21/2019 at 10:09 AM, Jimmybobcornflake said:

What defines a "Veteran Player?"

Really though, what does? I am still wondering how WG see's the pre-requisite of "5 Tier X Ships" a fair and acceptable entry point for this new activity. When in reality... it couldn't be further from it.

Lots of players don't have multiple tier X ships or even ANY tier X ships that have been playing this game for years.  Why are they excluded from this? In my case, I have only two tier X ships.  République & Henry IV. I am a HUGE french navy ship fan and enjoy the speedy play-style they allow me to have.  I will be getting the Italian cruisers when they embark because they have a very niche play-style.. "big gun that go boom and is invisible ( full speed smoke  )"

If WG was to not change it any-time in the future, then I would be up to 3 lines  ( having the Italian cruisers researched ). Still unable to reset a branch.

In order for me to partake in this, I have to get 3 other lines ( or 2 if the Italian cruisers come out before any changes are made ) that I simply have no interest in playing whatsoever, to then be eligible to play? No, that's wrong. The requirement should be removed in it's entirety or reverted to what was initially announced by Kami, "who has at least two tier X re-searchable ships in port"

I can't be the only one here who is in the same boat as me. Lots of players are excluded from this because "veteran players" are classified as holders of many tier X ships when it shouldn't be that way. 

I guess I have been playing the game all wrong if I don't have several tier X ships? 

Also 

Lets be honest.. the Research Bureau is a cash cow.You don't have to be a genius to see why. You only have to peak your nose into the premium shop right now.

TODAY ( August 21 2019 ) the new update which rolled out RB also landed a few new premium shop goodies for purchase.Screenshot_3.thumb.png.dd5f12a3b1d1df075648c6068d763312.png

All these "support" bundles to help ease the players for regrinding. However... I could of sworn/heard I read somewhere that you wanted players to  remember the earlier experiences in the game". Found it.  here is a link to that video. Start the video at 3:00 and listen away.

Now if WG wanted players to take their time through this and remember those earlier experiences/ with  the grind, why would they bring out these bundles to help move them quicker to the higher tiers again? 

They don't. They know the majority of the lower tier ships are very unplayable in stock configuration. They know very well you don't want to play those.  If they wanted to make you play those, they could simply put some earn-able research bureau tokens on the lower tier ships... but instead they keep it at 6 and above only. 

I am not outraged that this entire activity is a cash cow... but WG playing it off as some sort of " enjoy the old times and earn something new" is really far-fetched. 

I don't expect WG to come out and blatantly mention this is a cash grab.. but from the responses on the YT videos on how they explained how it works and the goals are... the majority of players don't want it. 

They can get more players to partake in this by simply reverting the requirement or removing it in its entirety. Why would it be a bad thing? It wouldn't be. ( for their pockets )

I know I am probably going to get flamed, and that's fine. I am a grown man. I can take feedback. I just feel after 3 years of playing this game, loving this game, supporting this game by purchasing premium ships/ time, doubloons, camo.. you name it... I feel jaded that I am left out. This is how I feel. I was so excited initially with the NTC. I wasn't keen on the rewards they were offering at the time, but the concept of it I was 100% on board with. 

Jimbob.

Im a pretty terrible player and 5 tier 10 ships requirement was pretty easy for me