You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Well, "Massive AA Fire" doesn't seem all that bothersome <redacted>

27 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,068 posts

I was afraid that Massive SS Fire was going to make CVs unplayable but it doesn't seem to have affected things much. Maybe there's a bit more fire from some ships but overall it's about the same playing a CV as it was yesterday. I do really like he new autopilot though.

image.thumb.png.702a3ede8451c9f26a9e4ab12c47c1c0.png

I was mistaken.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFC]
Members
624 posts
22,684 battles

Massive AA Fire didn't sound like it would have a big impact to me. The changes to continuous AA damage and how priority sector works, I thought, would have noticeable effects. From your post, it sounds like that's not the case so far.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,455 posts
17,992 battles
39 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I do really like he new autopilot though.

They fixed the Autopilot? I'm astounded it got done this fast!

[CAST]
Members
4,774 posts
3,337 battles

From what I saw on the patch notes, it seems VERY underwhelming as a 4 point skill. But maybe that's just me.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,781 posts
9,649 battles
1 hour ago, Rumple010 said:

Massive AA Fire didn't sound like it would have a big impact to me. The changes to continuous AA damage and how priority sector works, I thought, would have noticeable effects. From your post, it sounds like that's not the case so far.

I've been doing some CV games this morning, and the difference is PRETTY huge.  The smoothing of AA power + overlap changes mean that in general short and medium range DPS auras are individually weaker than they were before.  So while you'll effectively suffer similar amounts of damage attacking any one ship, you suffer much less damage striking through the medium range auras of other ships to get there.  On the other hand, if the target ship is within the short range aura of another?  Bye bye planes.

Also, I think the new sector system is an overall nerf to the damage outputs.  Most people used to set a sector where they knew planes would come from, but since they're trying to get off burst damage in the new system they wait for planes to show up.  Maybe it'll hurt more as a USN of RN CV, but for the IJN CVs and GZ I honestly couldn't tell when the sector kicked in or not.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,983 posts
16,543 battles

Massive AA Fire (the 4-point ability) is only for ships with very low AA. It's actually an AA reduction to take it on high-AA ships.

What you're probably seeing instead is the AA flattening -- all plane HP and ship AA values were pulled closer together to reduce between-tier and between-class differences. The net result is AA is way more consistent across the board, and plane loss is very controllable.

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

From what I saw on the patch notes, it seems VERY underwhelming as a 4 point skill. But maybe that's just me.

The impression I got from developer blogs is that MFAA is somewhat useless for high DPS AA ships like a Worcester and all the usual "Godlike AA" ships.

Apparently MFAA is best suited for ships with poor AA. Which obviously means that if they want good AA... they're giving up a 4 point skill to get it.

Does this mean we'll see IJN DD's without RDF or Concealment Expert just because they're paranoid of planes perhaps? LOL

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I was afraid that Massive SS Fire was going to make CVs unplayable but it doesn't seem to have affected things much. Maybe there's a bit more fire from some ships but overall it's about the same playing a CV as it was yesterday. I do really like he new autopilot though.

Did you notice if multiple torpedo strikes on a target was any easier with the new priority sector changes? Are people able to adapt quickly enough when you drop torps on both sides of a ship while making 3 passes? Are people noticeably more "pre-occupied" when under artillery fire?

[NUWES]
Members
2,682 posts
8,595 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Did they fix the autopilot in this patch? Thank god.

I was pissed yesterday. I set my Midway on autopilot around an island away from the enemy and when I finished my attack I came back and the course had chanced into this crazy zig-zag towards the enemy. I changed it away again and attacked and came back and the CV was again heading toward the enemy on a course that I didn't set. I had to take control of the CV and manually pilot it away (after losing 2/3 of my health). 

I've had that happen before but not as blatantly where the game changed the course I set into a zigzag  in a different direction. Every time I do Raptor Rescue I have to manually pilot the CV through the islands. Ironically the AI controlled Ranger navigates it fine, but the autopilot Ranger runs aground every time regardless if you set a course away from the islands. 

[CNO]
Members
5,224 posts
16,405 battles

Note that Massive AA also makes the TBD heal more useful, if I understand the effect properly.  But as others have noted, the skill is mainly for LOW AA ships.  So the design goal appears to give low AA DDs and other ships that have poor AA a method to extract a guaranteed amount of damage.

[NUWES]
Members
2,682 posts
8,595 battles
41 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

I've been doing some CV games this morning, and the difference is PRETTY huge.  The smoothing of AA power + overlap changes mean that in general short and medium range DPS auras are individually weaker than they were before.  So while you'll effectively suffer similar amounts of damage attacking any one ship, you suffer much less damage striking through the medium range auras of other ships to get there.  On the other hand, if the target ship is within the short range aura of another?  Bye bye planes.

Also, I think the new sector system is an overall nerf to the damage outputs.  Most people used to set a sector where they knew planes would come from, but since they're trying to get off burst damage in the new system they wait for planes to show up.  Maybe it'll hurt more as a USN of RN CV, but for the IJN CVs and GZ I honestly couldn't tell when the sector kicked in or not.

I haven't been home to test it yet but I thought this would happen from watching @Notser's videos of it. Overall AA will probably get worse for most people because now you are expected to be attentive to your AA rather than just setting it once and leaving it (which most people didn't do anyway). You have to keep activating it to get AA DPS similar to what you had before. It is thankfully easier to activate, but you have to do the activation much more often and at the right time and the game doesn't prompt you. It also means that CVs should really be focusing on ships that are already under attack to overload their multitasking ability. I always did this but it pays off even more now. 

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,858 posts
13,916 battles

Also 86k dmg is not impressive in a midway, if you do 150k+ tell me so i can play with cvs again.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[SBS]
Members
4,990 posts
2,408 battles
1 hour ago, Kenjister said:

Also, I think the new sector system is an overall nerf to the damage outputs.

That was my assumption of how it would play out.  Let us know if you still feel the same after some more testing.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,752 posts
20,671 battles

It's a weird thing overall.  You got Massive AA trait, nerf to Priority Sector, but I also see that Overlapping AA ranges are back.  Medium range flak is gone, but I'm seeing on my Des Moines that the Long Range AA now goes down to a minimum 0.1km.

[FYL]
Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

Not finding the new AA system to be very good. It's slightly more cumbersome and annoying than the previous method. Frequently planes will be above you and you can't even physically see them and the O damage burst isn't enough for how quickly they get to your other side. It also requires a lot more looking around to accurately see where the planes are, this is a problem only because of how often you should be trying to use it, It feels like a greater annoyance than clicking a sector. I think a button press for either sector side would be much superior, overall I find it to be a small step lower in quality than the sector system which itself is not a satisfying basis.

Just lower the damage AA does if that's the goal, don't add an annoying inconvenience to distract from the enjoyment of the game without providing much tactile feedback and no satisfaction from the aerial engagement.

Edited by Tanuvein
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[TF16B]
Modder
510 posts
678 battles

I played a few rounds in my Zep, didn't really notice a big difference. Light show was pretty though. :Smile_playing:

[CAG-1]
Members
1,872 posts

Yeah, I haven't noticed any major improvements in AA. The autopilot is awesome though... but I literally just unlocked the Hakuryu about an hour ago, and the captain is still undergoing retraining... so skills aren't 100%. I guess I'll just keep playing and see if there's any difference.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,983 posts
16,543 battles

The two big traps with the AA changes:

1. Putting Massive AA Fire on a ship with good AA (you actually lose damage doing this)
  2. Pressing O when the planes are about to fly over you (you nerf your own damage by boosting in the wrong direction)
  • Cool 1

[SFROG]
Beta Testers
118 posts
6,223 battles

So is there a capt. retrain free since they substantially changed the purpose of the MFAA skill vs the prior reduced cooldown on setting sectors, and made the skill substantially worth less on many cruisers meaning a respec is now necessary due to WG changes?

@Kami, et all

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,567 posts
5,049 battles
5 minutes ago, Glocktalker69 said:

So is there a capt. retrain free since they substantially changed the purpose of the MFAA skill vs the prior reduced cooldown on setting sectors, and made the skill substantially worth less on many cruisers meaning a respec is now necessary due to WG changes?

@Kami, et all

A respec has been given but you have to press a dam button somewhere to particpate?    Search the forums the link is there. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,019 battles
2 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

A respec has been given but you have to press a dam button somewhere to particpate?    Search the forums the link is there. 

Wasn't sure if this was rhetorical or not but here is a link so you can opt in to the Reset. It is about halfway down the page:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-087-french-destroyers-part-2/

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
761 posts
4,351 battles
4 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Did they fix the autopilot in this patch? Thank god.

I was pissed yesterday. I set my Midway on autopilot around an island away from the enemy and when I finished my attack I came back and the course had chanced into this crazy zig-zag towards the enemy. I changed it away again and attacked and came back and the CV was again heading toward the enemy on a course that I didn't set. I had to take control of the CV and manually pilot it away (after losing 2/3 of my health). 

I've had that happen before but not as blatantly where the game changed the course I set into a zigzag  in a different direction. Every time I do Raptor Rescue I have to manually pilot the CV through the islands. Ironically the AI controlled Ranger navigates it fine, but the autopilot Ranger runs aground every time regardless if you set a course away from the islands. 

They did, it's not perfect but you can see now the path of the ship... Your personal Midway is going to do what you ask him to do and you will be able to fly and kill without having to check your mini map every 30 seconds... Still, check, DD can pop up...

[KSE]
Members
3,811 posts
18,262 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

tenor (7).gif