You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rumple010

AFT vs BFT

6 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
633 posts
22,856 battles

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are regarding the value of BFT and AFT. If you're trying to buff the AA of your ship, it seems to me BFT would be the better option over AFT in most cases if you don't want to commit the skill points to both. BFT enhances continuous AA damage which is further enhanced by using your priority sector. Now that the damage from the three AA zones overlap, won't you get even more bang for your buck with BFT? Unless your ship spits out a ton of flak bursts, AFT isn't going to provide much benefit. If you're tricking out your cruiser with a min/max AA build, I imagine you'd go for both skills. The only other scenarios where I can see the value of AFT is in a secondary build BB or in a DD where you want to maximize your main battery range.

The new Massive AA Fire skill seems to be aimed only at ships with awful continuous AA damage so using this skill is your one shot at shooting down some of the attacking planes before they can drop on you. 

What do people think?

[CAST]
Members
4,801 posts
3,359 battles

BFT is currently much better than AFT for AA. Only time you'd want to take AFT is if you're in a destroyer, or if you're in a BB with good secondaries.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,782 posts
9,687 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

BFT is currently much better than AFT for AA. Only time you'd want to take AFT is if you're in a destroyer, or if you're in a BB with good secondaries.

Pretty much this!
Though I will say that with the update, flak has also gotten much stronger (especially at lower tiers), and clipping it can be very dangerous.  The increased squad sizes on several CVs don't help much with that either.  Still, I wouldn't ever take AFT on any ship just for the AA benefit.  Probably the same for BFT honestly unless you're in a real AA powerhouse.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,249 posts
12,818 battles

I no longer use AFT except for enhancing ships with good secondaries.  The way I read and understand the revised skill, it only applies only to flak bursts ... and any good CV player can avoid much of that from what I've heard.  Of course, playing Scenario/CoOp, it's mostly irrelevant anyway.

[NUWES]
Members
2,713 posts
8,685 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Most DDs don't want AFT either unless they have high velocity shells like the Soviets. You can't use the extra range but the larger detection due to gun bloom hurts a lot.

[NUWES]
Members
2,713 posts
8,685 battles
22 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I no longer use AFT except for enhancing ships with good secondaries.  The way I read and understand the revised skill, it only applies only to flak bursts ... and any good CV player can avoid much of that from what I've heard.  Of course, playing Scenario/CoOp, it's mostly irrelevant anyway.

Honestly, people exaggerate how "easy" it is to avoid flak bursts. Buffed flak bursts are hard to completely avoid. That being said they are not reliable damage producers which makes 4 points an expensive upgrade. It may be more worthwhile on ships with DFAA (which I think now enhances the bursts) but I'm not entirely sure.