Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trident55

Graphics nightmare after update

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

37
[BOTST]
Members
175 posts
2,297 battles

Once again - an update that breaks the game. Do they even TEST their updates? And why do so many - I've been in IT for years and never heard of such a thing. 

Here's a sample - this started when I zoomed in but then was just about constant zoomed or unzoomed. I had to exit the game because I couldn't see anything - each

time the interference "blinked" all the ships had jumped/moved so you couldn't even take a guess at where things were.

This is after not being able to even launch the game for 3 days after the WGC update last week. 

Unreal.

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 9.29.22 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Community Department
3,073 posts
1,139 battles

The report has been directed to our developers already.
Sorry for the situation. From one of the obvious reasons on Mac this could be due to required system upgrade.
If we have additional info about this issue I'll direct it to you asap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[BOTST]
Members
175 posts
2,297 battles
4 hours ago, turbo07 said:

The report has been directed to our developers already.
Sorry for the situation. From one of the obvious reasons on Mac this could be due to required system upgrade.
If we have additional info about this issue I'll direct it to you asap. 

Thank you! Just FYI - I have a prety high end system with 32gb ram, 1tb ssd, and 2gb nvidia graphics card - and it all worked perfectly before the update.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82
[SALTY]
Supertester
242 posts
6,671 battles

This almost looks like artifact due to overheating, perhaps due to overclocking? The only other time I've seen something similar is due to something corrupt in memory - either system or VRAM. While 32gb of system memory and 1tb SSD is quite nice, the graphics memory is lacking by todays standards, even for WoWs. While it appears that exceed the minimum requirements for the graphics card for the game, it's hard to tell if you exceed or even meet the recommended requirements. Though that might seem sufficient if you are in between, if you are running a dual monitor setup with something like Chrome running, you could be hurting yourself. That all being said, you can try doing a cold shutdown to cleanly flush all memory or try using a 'overclocking' software like EVGA's Precision X or MSI's Afterburner. While I wouldn't recommend overclocking what you have, you can use it to ramp up the fan(s) to cool it off if that's the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[BOTST]
Members
175 posts
2,297 battles
48 minutes ago, SnipeySnipes said:

This almost looks like artifact due to overheating, perhaps due to overclocking? The only other time I've seen something similar is due to something corrupt in memory - either system or VRAM. While 32gb of system memory and 1tb SSD is quite nice, the graphics memory is lacking by todays standards, even for WoWs. While it appears that exceed the minimum requirements for the graphics card for the game, it's hard to tell if you exceed or even meet the recommended requirements. Though that might seem sufficient if you are in between, if you are running a dual monitor setup with something like Chrome running, you could be hurting yourself. That all being said, you can try doing a cold shutdown to cleanly flush all memory or try using a 'overclocking' software like EVGA's Precision X or MSI's Afterburner. While I wouldn't recommend overclocking what you have, you can use it to ramp up the fan(s) to cool it off if that's the problem.

While that sounds like a reasonable explanation it all worked 100% before the update. I think it's a memory leak that is may be causing the overheated graphics card. Because, when I shut the game and console down, and go into acivity monitor - there are still remnants running that I have to force quite. This happened a few months back, after an update, and I wrote a batch file to run in Terminal to clear all the processes associated with the game. Both are a pain the [edited]....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[BOTST]
Members
175 posts
2,297 battles
14 hours ago, SnipeySnipes said:

Have you done a cold shutdown in Win 10 by first disabling Fast Startup?

I'm on an iMac...but here's an interesting update...it only happens on the one map "crash" something or other - the one that's in the pic I posted. All other maps seem to work fine. monitoring my temp, it's not hot at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[BOTST]
Members
175 posts
2,297 battles

As I mentioned above it only, apparently, does this in the one map during ranked. Otherwise I've not had any issues (beyond the normal ones!). Not sure if I played that map in random battle mode.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[BOTST]
Members
175 posts
2,297 battles

Update: It's happening in other maps and battle modes - but not nearly as frequently as in ranked battle on the "Crash" map. The system and graphics card are not overheating at all. Worked fine before the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
82
[SALTY]
Supertester
242 posts
6,671 battles
On 8/22/2019 at 9:39 AM, Trident55 said:

I'm on an iMac...

This is probably quite relevant to finding the resolution to this problem @turbo07. I'm not much for Mac service but hopefully this find the ones in the Dev dept.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[BOTST]
Members
175 posts
2,297 battles
9 hours ago, SnipeySnipes said:

This is probably quite relevant to finding the resolution to this problem @turbo07. I'm not much for Mac service but hopefully this find the ones in the Dev dept.

Thanks. It's basically unplayable at this point. I mean, I can play - but about 50% of the time it gets out of control and locks up so it's not really fair to my teammates - especially in ranked!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[NEMO]
Members
30 posts
590 battles

I am also on a newer MacBook. Same lightingbolts across the screen, and some instances my ship becomes almost clear. Only seems to be on certain maps though. System, and WGX all latest update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×