Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Will Somers Be AN OP DD?

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,615
[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles

Since I have not yet been able to find complete data on USS Somers for WOWs, I have to assume the Somers will be buffed Gearing? Could this potentially make it one of the strongest tier X DDs in the game? I mean the ship is only 1 turret shy of having Harugumo levels of main guns, and is pushing up towards Shimakaze levels of Torps with having 12 Torps. Add in USN smoke and AA abilities and you get a well rounded DD. Although not sure if it will get access to Def AA or not?

Will be interesting to see how the Somers will perform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
388
[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,166 posts
24,386 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Since I have not yet been able to find complete data on USS Somers for WOWs, I have to assume the Somers will be buffed Gearing? Could this potentially make it one of the strongest tier X DDs in the game? I mean the ship is only 1 turret shy of having Harugumo levels of main guns, and is pushing up towards Shimakaze levels of Torps with having 12 Torps. Add in USN smoke and AA abilities and you get a well rounded DD. Although not sure if it will get access to Def AA or not?

Will be interesting to see how the Somers will perform.

I truly believe that in the right hands, this is a very dangerous DD. I thoroughly loved testing it.  In the wrong hands, its just another 4 minute nuisance.   It sucks it is a steel ship, but, it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,615
[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles
15 minutes ago, BaronVonTom said:

I truly believe that in the right hands, this is a very dangerous DD. I thoroughly loved testing it.  In the wrong hands, its just another 4 minute nuisance.   It sucks it is a steel ship, but, it is what it is.

The Steel cost is likely to prevent Somers from flooding into X games like Tsunami... Because if the ship was available for cash, Doubloons, Free XP, or Coal it would be bought up like candy I think. Of course I am assuming that Somers has many characteristics of Gearing in my estimations of it.

Pity I only have about 8,400 Steel I think, since I already have a suitable 19 point captain for a ship like Somers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,877
[-K-]
Members
7,497 posts
12,201 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The Steel cost is likely to prevent Somers from flooding into X games like Tsunami... Because if the ship was available for cash, Doubloons, Free XP, or Coal it would be bought up like candy I think. Of course I am assuming that Somers has many characteristics of Gearing in my estimations of it.

Pity I only have about 8,400 Steel I think, since I already have a suitable 19 point captain for a ship like Somers.

Speaking of coal, what is the next coal ship slated for release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
125
[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
394 posts
6,689 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Speaking of coal, what is the next coal ship slated for release?

Smolensk which is released today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,122
[KWF]
Members
3,740 posts
5,399 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Speaking of coal, what is the next coal ship slated for release?

Don't trust me on this, but if Friesland is Free XP and Somers is Steel, then maybe Hayate? Would make sense as a form of "resource rotation".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,615
[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Don't trust me on this, but if Friesland is Free XP and Somers is Steel, then maybe Hayate? Would make sense as a form of "resource rotation".

What is Friesland? Have not heard about that ship yet? And unless Hayate gets torp reload booster I am not exactly impressed with that one. But who knows maybe Hayate will have other traits that make it nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,122
[KWF]
Members
3,740 posts
5,399 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

What is Friesland? Have not heard about that ship yet? And unless Hayate gets torp reload booster I am not exactly impressed with that one. But who knows maybe Hayate will have other traits that make it nice.

Friesland is a Dutch tier IX DD that has no torps, has 1.8s base reload time on 2x2 120mm turrets, German Hydro and killer AA. And in the future since it was planned as an ASW DD I bet excellent in that regard too. 

It's slated for a September release most likely for Free XP (exact amount uknown).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,615
[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles
18 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Friesland is a Dutch tier IX DD that has no torps, has 1.8s base reload time on 2x2 120mm turrets, German Hydro and killer AA. And in the future since it was planned as an ASW DD I bet excellent in that regard too. 

It's slated for a September release most likely for Free XP (exact amount uknown).

 

Dutch DD which sounds interesting to have added, but only 2x2 gun turrets and, AA which in future could become irrelevant since you never know if CVs will ever become routine to have in battles.

I would say it better have really good ASW since really not much going for it in tier IX. Enemy ships will simply run it down into close range as there will be no threat from getting torpedoed. Then again ASW if the ship models are correct is something most if not all DDs will be able to do, as well as at least some CAs of not BBs as well. So unless the shells are really good on Friesland, which could really be something with that reload, I honestly do not see how the ship will be all that good. Particularly with how often DDs can lose a turret in this case instantly cutting in half its firepower. 4x1 turrets would be better able to resist losing its offensive ability.

This sounds like we need @Lert to come and explain exactly why The Dutch even considered such an idea, and of what use it could be in the game as a tier IX... I must say I am some what curious now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,164
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,485 posts
16,277 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Dutch DD which sounds interesting to have added, but only 2x2 gun turrets and, AA which in future could become irrelevant since you never know if CVs will ever become routine to have in battles.

I would say it better have really good ASW since really not much going for it in tier IX. Enemy ships will simply run it down into close range as there will be no threat from getting torpedoed. Then again ASW if the ship models are correct is something most if not all DDs will be able to do, as well as at least some CAs of not BBs as well. So unless the shells are really good on Friesland, which could really be something with that reload, I honestly do not see how the ship will be all that good. Particularly with how often DDs can lose a turret in this case instantly cutting in half its firepower. 4x1 turrets would be better able to resist losing its offensive ability.

This sounds like you have your opinion already formed and excuses made. Feel free not to buy it then, and let us have fun with things we enjoy. It's not my job to sell you ships.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,615
[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles
Just now, Lert said:

This sounds like you have your opinion already formed and excuses made. Feel free not to buy it then, and let us have fun with things we enjoy. It's not my job to sell you ships.

Guess I did not clarify what I wanted, why did the Dutch design a DD without Torps when everyone else added Torps to their DDs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,122
[KWF]
Members
3,740 posts
5,399 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Guess I did not clarify what I wanted, why did the Dutch design a DD without Torps when everyone else added Torps to their DDs?

It's a post WW2 design with an emphasis on ASW capabilities. Besides, and Lert knows more on this, there's a version of the ship with torpedo tubes. Most likely reserved for Tier X of the Pan EU DD line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,164
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,485 posts
16,277 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Guess I did not clarify what I wanted, why did the Dutch design a DD without Torps when everyone else added Torps to their DDs?

The Friesland class is a 1950s design, she was designed as an ASW and AA DD. Torpedoes were thought unneeded. They experimented with a set of tubes on two of the Frieslands (Utrecht and Overijssel) but after about a year these were removed again, probably for weight / seakeeping reasons.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,164
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,485 posts
16,277 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Besides, and Lert knows more on this, there's a version of the ship with torpedo tubes. Most likely reserved for Tier X of the Pan EU DD line.

Utrecht and Overijssel were given two sets of quads - one on each side - for some time but these were later removed. It's entirely possible that either of these two could be a viable T10 with those tubes, a speed boost and some tweaked soft stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,084 posts
3,676 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Guess I did not clarify what I wanted, why did the Dutch design a DD without Torps when everyone else added Torps to their DDs?

The Friesland class wasn't designed until the 1950s, it's one of the newest ships in WOWS in terms of when it was designed and laid down. It was specifically designed as an ASW destroyer, which made sense given the looming strategic threat of the submarine and the receding chance for surface torpedo actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,615
[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles
1 minute ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

The Friesland class wasn't designed until the 1950s, it's one of the newest ships in WOWS in terms of when it was designed and laid down. It was specifically designed as an ASW destroyer, which made sense given the looming strategic threat of the submarine and the receding chance for surface torpedo actions.

Which is interesting considering homing torpedoes can dive after subs. But I would have to check exactly who was developing those and when, since perhaps they either were unaware of the possibly / existence of such Torps., or else there was a deadzone in the need of Torps on a DD between WWII and more modern DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,084 posts
3,676 battles
13 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Which is interesting considering homing torpedoes can dive after subs. But I would have to check exactly who was developing those and when, since perhaps they either were unaware of the possibly / existence of such Torps., or else there was a deadzone in the need of Torps on a DD between WWII and more modern DDs.

I don't know how much we'll see of guided weapons, it would remove some of the arcade play style. Really the 1950s is as late as you can possibly push ship development in WOWS without a massive shift in gameplay that would basically separate pre- and post-guided missile ships into incompatible battles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,877
[-K-]
Members
7,497 posts
12,201 battles
28 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I don't know how much we'll see of guided weapons, it would remove some of the arcade play style. Really the 1950s is as late as you can possibly push ship development in WOWS without a massive shift in gameplay that would basically separate pre- and post-guided missile ships into incompatible battles. 

World of Warships 2.0: Cold War 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
828
[CVA16]
Members
4,239 posts
13,265 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

but after about a year these were removed again, probably for weight / seakeeping reasons.

But those factors mean nothing in the WG universe. Okhotnik being the poster child for this. They could add torps if they wished.

IRL, didn't Somers 5"/38s have just as much AA capability as those 5"/50s on select IJN DDs? (as in, not good but theoretically possible) Also at least as capable as many of those larger secondaries on French (and other) BBs that are listed under their AA stats.

Edited by Sabot_100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,164
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,485 posts
16,277 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

But those factors mean nothing in the WG universe. Okhotnik being the poster child for this. They could add torps if they wished.

Yep. Like I said, that would probably make a viable T10 with tweaked soft stats and maybe additional speed boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
828
[CVA16]
Members
4,239 posts
13,265 battles
8 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Since I have not yet been able to find complete data on USS Somers for WOWs, I have to assume the Somers will be buffed Gearing? Could this potentially make it one of the strongest tier X DDs in the game? I mean the ship is only 1 turret shy of having Harugumo levels of main guns, and is pushing up towards Shimakaze levels of Torps with having 12 Torps. Add in USN smoke and AA abilities and you get a well rounded DD. Although not sure if it will get access to Def AA or not?

Will be interesting to see how the Somers will perform

Back on the original topic. It will not be a buffed Gearing. All up to WG whims

It will have more guns, but may not fire as fast or as far.

It will have fewer HP. Somers were over 600t lighter (30%+) than Gearing. It might have better concealment (it may be shorter but taller). Armor is another WG whim

It should be a bit faster.

It will have more torps, the quality of those torps is again a WG whim.

It should have the US smoke

It should not have anywhere near the AA capability of the Gearing. Starting with whether WG counts the 5" as DP.  IRL they removed guns to put on fewer, heavier DP guns. Nowhere to put all those 20 & 40mm guns without taking stuff (like torp mounts) off even if they give some fictional upgrade.

Overall a completely different DD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39
[NFJF]
Beta Testers
184 posts
8,421 battles

The somers is weak it has the worst dpm of any tier 10 destroyer and you have to give a lot of side to use the them also low hitpoints kill any chance of a gun fighting. Also no aa at all for just 2 Torps with the same long reload on the long range torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
202
[AAA]
Members
939 posts
10,603 battles

What is the base torp reload? Reload with TAE? Reload with torp mod? Reload with TAE and Torp Mod?

what is main battery reload? With BFT? With main bat 3(like anyone is mounting that)? With MB3 and BFT?

sorry I can’t find her stats anywhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×