Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

Smolensk PSA

11 comments in this topic

[KWF]
Members
3,732 posts
5,381 battles

Just a heads up for any potential Smolensk buyers, keep in mind that there might be an IFHE rework coming at some point in the future that will affect ALL ships with calibers below 180mm. While now the HE pen value with IFHE allows you to cross certain thresholds with minimal loss of firechance, that will not be the case in the future:

Now, HE shells of most ships penetrate the armor, thinner than 1\6 of the caliber. This rule is changed from "lower" to "equal or lower". Thus 152 mm shells will penetrate 25 mm plating;

Armor plating of tiers VI - VII battleships is brought to the value of 26 mm. This will keep interactions within the class, and between classes, intact considering changes to the HE shells penetration: 152 mm with penetration of 1/6 of the caliber won't penetrate the new plating of 26 mm;

Inertial Fuse for HE shells skill is increasing the penetration of HE shells by 20% and lowers the probability of causing fire by 50%. 

So a Smolensk with IFHE under the proposed rules and without DE should have 4% firechance and 26mm of HE penetration instead of losing 1% firechance now and going through the 27mm threshold of many CAs. Something to consider before pulling the trigger with it.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,319 posts
7,329 battles

Additionally, those reported IFHE changes are said to be highly unlikely to see the light of day.

Members
2,555 posts
93 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

Additionally, those reported IFHE changes are said to be highly unlikely to see the light of day.

They will. CL guns have been overperforming with that skill.

• Confused 2

[ARGSY]
Members
15,604 posts
10,446 battles

A 4% fire chance (pulling figures out of the air here) will fall to 2%, which is only two percentage points.

Take it on a battleship, though, and a main armament HE fire chance of ~30% (for argument's sake) will fall to 15%. Secondary-spec BB owners, take note. I know most of them will probably have AP loaded most of the time anyway, but from time to time HE is appropriate and the loss of fire chance might have to be borne in mind. The secondaries will definitely suffer, but if you are deeply specced to the point of having MFCS, they will be scoring so many hits it probably won't change much.

[KWF]
Members
3,732 posts
5,381 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

A 4% fire chance (pulling figures out of the air here) will fall to 2%, which is only two percentage points.

Take it on a battleship, though, and a main armament HE fire chance of ~30% (for argument's sake) will fall to 15%. Secondary-spec BB owners, take note. I know most of them will probably have AP loaded most of the time anyway, but from time to time HE is appropriate and the loss of fire chance might have to be borne in mind. The secondaries will definitely suffer, but if you are deeply specced to the point of having MFCS, they will be scoring so many hits it probably won't change much.

I meant 4% after IFHE changes. The base firechance of Smolensk is 8%, at 7% if you pick IFHE now.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,604 posts
10,446 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

I meant 4% after IFHE changes. The base firechance of Smolensk is 8%, at 7% if you pick IFHE now.

I know. I was just pulling figures out of thin air (and admitted as much) to illustrate the relative impact on high vs low fire chance guns.

Members
475 posts
72 battles
15 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

They will. CL guns have been overperforming with that skill.

Well, if thats the only basis I wouldnt hold my breath, what I mean is that there is quite a few overperforming ships in that game right now and a few in the pipeline as well.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,706 posts
22,019 battles
Just now, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

I just reset all my captains and now have no idea if I should spec IFHE into my HE spammers like Chapayev/Kutuzov and Cleveland, etc.

I have done the same thing and am waiting on the better players to do the experimenting with the new IFHE before I go and assign skills. My cruisers that benefit from the skill will be staying in port and will be focusing my game time on BBs, DDs, and the heavy cruisers while I wait and see what the verdict is on the reworked skill. It may take some time but IMHO, waiting for their assessment is very important. 

Sign in to follow this