You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

PSA : Research Bureau (FreeXP rewards &x 2 RB token bonuses)

46 comments in this topic

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,367 posts
9,171 battles

dear fellow forumeers : 

overlooked in our recent informal discussions, and in official announcements on the forum, it is of great importance that those who decide to reset  tech trees on the release of patch 0.8.7, understand several important elements of the Research Bureau (my comments will appear in purple) :

RESEARCH POINTS AND REWARDS

Research Points can be exchanged in the new section of the Armory called the Research Bureau.

When the new system launches, French cruiser X Colbert will be available for 57,000 Research Points. Later, she will be joined by American battleship X Ohio.

If you aren't ready to invest your Research Points in a new ship, you’ll always have the opportunity to exchange them for bundles with combat signals or Free XP. For example, a bundle with 250,000 Free XP will be available for just 12,500 Research Points. (each tech tree reset can earn a player 10 000 RP, so it would still require two tech trees to be reset, to earn this 250 000 bundle. My own understanding of this decision to add a free xp bundle as a reward, is WG's response to certain complaints made about the RB being one big, free xp sink. 250 000 free xp is not enough to encourage many veterans to actually play through the reset tech trees (250 000 is quite earnable in a week of gaming for a veteran player with premium ships and premium time), rather than free xp, but it will alleviate some of the concerns of free2play vets. This remains to be fully weighed up)

Please note: the Research Bureau section of the Armory will only become available after earning your first Research Points.

How can you earn Research Points?

If you have at least five Tier X ships researched, you will gain access to the Research Bureau, along with a one-time reward of 10,000 Research Points and the option to reset any of the researched branches of ships.

Rules of resetting

• You must have researched a Tier X ship in the branch you intend to reset. However, the actual ships of this branch do not have to be purchased and in your Port.
  • When a branch is reset, any research performed on it will be reversed, and the ships and modules will be sold for half their cost.
  • Upgrades will be demounted free of charge and transferred to your Inventory, Commanders will be sent to the Reserve without losing their specialization, and all XP earned will be transferred to the first ship of the branch.

Earning Research Points: more details

• Resetting a branch of ships can bring you up to 10,000 Research Points.
  • Resetting a branch of aircraft carriers can bring you up to 8,000 Research Points.
  • If, for any reason, a branch had gaps with unresearched ships, these ships will not receive a bonus for a victory attained on them. You can research any ships you skipped before resetting the branch in order to earn the maximum number of Research Points. (e.g if you bought early access crates to accelerate a tech tree grind, or a tech tree research boos tbundle from the premium shop)

Research Points for the first victory can't be obtained in Clan or Training Battles. (Fairly obvious, but needs saying. Someone will always ask.)

SEASONS

The Research Bureau system will work on a seasonal basis. The first Season will last 3 months.

The effect of seasons on the Research Bureau lies in the fact that the Research Points first victory bonus will be doubled for the ships of the first branch to be reset during a season. The double bonus will remain on those ships beyond the end of the season, until the first victory is gained on them. (This too, is very important for all to understand. While we can reset more than one tech tree per "season", we only receive a victory bonus for the 1st tech tree reset, in that season. So for example, if I reset the IJN cruiser line in Friday, then I reset the British bb line on Saturday, only the IJN line will recieve the 2 x bonus. I see this mechanism as another response to our criticisms from within the player community, sensible players will bide their time, rather than rushing, while it puts whales, unicum veterans and free2play veterans on a more equal footing.)

I hope this is helpful. When in doubt, do feel free to splash out with your credit card to buy boosts, doublons for captain retraining, flags, premium camos for your ships, and of course, doublons to convert elite xp to free xp when you get bored. In case anyone misunderstands, this is sarcasm. (someone will misunderstand, and splash out on 6 x tech tree resets in the 1st season, spending all their free xp and bank overdraft to grab 57000 RB tokens.)

Summary, DO  NOT RESET MORE THAN ONE TECH TREE PER 3 MONTH SEASON! YOU WILL BE REWARDED FOR YOUR PATIENCE/ (unless you really really want/need Colbert, now, even if you'd have to be crazy to lose out on double Research Point rewards on the first tech tree reset of each season, the difference between 50 000 RP and 100 000 RP for 5 x tech tree resets.) The 250 000 free xp bundles are really just a cover, smoke and mirrors, IMDO. But this reward does appear to be a response to criticism that the RB is a cash grab (it still is IMDO)/

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/research-bureau/

• Cool 5

[GOB]
Members
1,011 posts

Well since I have only 1 TX ship I guess this is another event I am left out of.  How fun!

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,367 posts
9,171 battles
Just now, Col_Nasty said:

Well since I have only 1 TX ship I guess this is another event I am left out of.  How fun!

count yourself lucky. grinding multiple tech trees for the second time, does not look to me, to be terribly much "fun". I promise you, when you have x 6 tier 10s, you won't want to see another tech tree ever again your entire life.

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Members
3,108 posts
12,917 battles

The free XP thing looks interesting....until I realized skipping low tier and buying some modules to avoid playing stock ship cost quite a lot.

[INTEL]
Members
11,530 posts
32,243 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

count yourself lucky. grinding multiple tech trees for the second time, does not look to me, to be terribly much "fun". I promise you, when you have x 6 tier 10s, you won't want to see another tech tree ever again your entire life.

So wait... still not clear. The Colbert is the reward only for French lines, or the French cruiser line? or for any line reset?

[SOFOP]
Members
1,652 posts
11,208 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Not everything is intended for everyone.  New/Newer players have plenty of things to do in the standard game, and are included in plenty of events.  It is pretty rare actually for an event/program to be intended solely for long term players (IE 2+ years or so).

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,367 posts
9,171 battles
9 hours ago, Taichunger said:

So wait... still not clear. The Colbert is the reward only for French lines, or the French cruiser line? or for any line reset?

1. Colbert will cost 574 000 RB tokens
  2. you can earn at least, 10 000 RB tokens per tech tree reset
  3. but, for the 1st tech tree reset per RB season (3 month period) you can earn 2 x RB tokens per tech tree reset
  4. so, you can earn Colbert (57 000 RB tokens) in 9 months, for 3 tech tree resets (worth 60 000 RB tokens).

yup it is confusing, WG is good at that. I hope this clarifies the matter.

just remember a few golden rules, BE PATIENT, ONLY UNLOCK ONE TECH TREE PER  3 MONTH PERIOD, DON'T GIVE ME WG YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS,, DON'T EVER CONSIDER EXCHANGING YOUR RESEARCH TOKENS FOR THE FREE XP BUNDLE!

[SOFOP]
Members
1,652 posts
11,208 battles
5 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Colbert is a reward for getting however many tokens, regardless of the line reset.  You could reset the IJN BB line repeatedly and eventually get a French Colbert.  The tokens are gained by regrinding the line, but the tokens are not specific to that line that you reset at all.

Think of it like resetting the snowflakes from that event.  You reset the line, burn a snowflake on your way back up, and can then spend it in the store (RB).

[POP]
Members
2,247 posts
19,653 battles
6 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

dear fellow forumeers : 

overlooked in our recent informal discussions, and in official announcements on the forum, it is of great importance that those who decide to reset  tech trees on the release of patch 0.8.7, understand several important elements of the Research Bureau (my comments will appear in purple) :

Research Points can be exchanged in the new section of the Armory called the Research Bureau.

When the new system launches, French cruiser X Colbert will be available for 57,000 Research Points. Later, she will be joined by American battleship X Ohio.

If you aren't ready to invest your Research Points in a new ship, you’ll always have the opportunity to exchange them for bundles with combat signals or Free XP. For example, a bundle with 250,000 Free XP will be available for just 12,500 Research Points. (each tech tree reset can earn a player 10 000 RP, so it would still require two tech trees to be reset, to earn this 250 000 bundle. My own understanding of this decision to add a free xp bundle as a reward, is WG's response to certain complaints made about the RB being one big, free xp sink. 250 000 free xp is not enough to encourage many veterans to actually play through the reset tech trees (250 000 is quite earnable in a week of gaming for a veteran player with premium ships and premium time), rather than free xp, but it will alleviate some of the concerns of free2play vets. This remains to be fully weighed up)

Please note: the Research Bureau section of the Armory will only become available after earning your first Research Points.

If you have at least five Tier X ships researched, you will gain access to the Research Bureau, along with a one-time reward of 10,000 Research Points and the option to reset any of the researched branches of ships.

Rules of resetting

• You must have researched a Tier X ship in the branch you intend to reset. However, the actual ships of this branch do not have to be purchased and in your Port.
  • When a branch is reset, any research performed on it will be reversed, and the ships and modules will be sold for half their cost.
  • Upgrades will be demounted free of charge and transferred to your Inventory, Commanders will be sent to the Reserve without losing their specialization, and all XP earned will be transferred to the first ship of the branch.

• Resetting a branch of aircraft carriers can bring you up to 8,000 Research Points.
  • If, for any reason, a branch had gaps with unresearched ships, these ships will not receive a bonus for a victory attained on them. You can research any ships you skipped before resetting the branch in order to earn the maximum number of Research Points. (e.g if you bought early access crates to accelerate a tech tree grind, or a tech tree research boos tbundle from the premium shop)

Research Points for the first victory can't be obtained in Clan or Training Battles. (Fairly obvious, but needs saying. Someone will always ask.)

SEASONS

The Research Bureau system will work on a seasonal basis. The first Season will last 3 months.

The effect of seasons on the Research Bureau lies in the fact that the Research Points first victory bonus will be doubled for the ships of the first branch to be reset during a season. The double bonus will remain on those ships beyond the end of the season, until the first victory is gained on them. (This too, is very important for all to understand. While we can reset more than one tech tree per "season", we only receive a victory bonus for the 1st tech tree reset, in that season. So for example, if I reset the IJN cruiser line in Friday, then I reset the British bb line on Saturday, only the IJN line will recieve the 2 x bonus. I see this mechanism as another response to our criticisms from within the player community, sensible players will bide their time, rather than rushing, while it puts whales, unicum veterans and free2play veterans on a more equal footing.)

I hope this is helpful. When in doubt, do feel free to splash out with your credit card to buy boosts, doublons for captain retraining, flags, premium camos for your ships, and of course, doublons to convert elite xp to free xp when you get bored. In case anyoen misunderstands, this is sarcasm. (someone will misunderstand, and splash out on 6 x tech tree resets in the 1st season, spending all their free xp and bank overdraft to grab 54000 RB tokens.)

Summary, DO  NOT RESET MORE THAN ONE TECH TREE PER 3 MONTH SEASON! YOU WILL BE REWARDED FOR YOUR PATIENCE/ (unless you really really want/need Colbert, now, even if you'd have to be crazy to lose out on double Research Point rewards on the first tech tree reset of each season, the difference between 50 000 RP and 100 000 RP for 5 x tech tree resets.)

I got a headache reading this and when I mean reading NOT what you Wrote Nutty but about the whole set up that is the Research Bureau, I got 1 Tier 10 and  I'm on or around 2 tier 9's lines which at the rate I am grinding through them it will be this time next year before i reach those tier 10's in said lines.

Is WG trying to drive people away from this game rather than get new blood because I would rather watch GRASS GROW than go through this torment again 5 times to get a OP ship with some unrealistic gimmick.

Heaven's above submarines cant come soon enough for my liking if this is the way of the future.

cheers   

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,367 posts
9,171 battles
Just now, tm63au said:

I got a headache reading this and when I mean reading NOT what you Wrote Nutty but about the whole set up that is the Research Bureau, I got 1 Tier 10 and  I'm on or around 2 tier 9's lines which at the rate I am grinding through them it will be this time next year before i reach those tier 10's in said lines.

Is WG trying to drive people away from this game rather than get new blood because I would rather watch GRASS GROW than go through this torment again 5 times to get a OP ship with some unrealistic gimmick.

Heaven's above submarines cant come soon enough for my liking if this is the way of the future.

cheers   

I think WG has a very particular understanding of what a Veteran player is. They have responded, as far as I can tell, to some of our recent doubts, but clearly not enough. I agree too, it is unfair to penalize veteran players who have, for years, been populating all tiers of gameplay, with their expertise and engaging manners, without bothering to succumb to the "Oh, I must have tier 10s.." for the sake of it.

Agreed on the Subs, this gives me an extra reason to look forward to them/

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,367 posts
9,171 battles
15 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

The free XP thing looks interesting....until I realized skipping low tier and buying some modules to avoid playing stock ship cost quite a lot.

^^ glad you spotted the flaw.

it is a lure, bait, to confuse critics.

but I still forsee some kid (technically an adult I guess) buying doublons to convert 1 million elite xp to free xp, to unlock and re-research a tech tree on, Wednesday, just so they can buy the 250 000 free xp bundle/.

[POP]
Members
1,528 posts
19,155 battles

So what you are saying is I can reset ship lines, re grind them, get all the FXP I would normally get grinding back through them AND a resource to buy more FXP with?!?!?!?! Sadly I already have all the FXP ships, but if I did not and they interested me greatly I would probably be happy to have another way to basically get bulk FXP for free.

• Confused 1

[PVE]
Members
3,970 posts
22,315 battles
4 hours ago, LoveBote said:
  1. so, you can earn Colbert (54 000 RB tokens) in 9 months, for 3 tech tree resets (worth 60 000 RB tokens).

You are right about taking 3 months to get Colbert while only grinding 1 line/season but you will have 70k tokens not 60k as there's the 1 time 10k bonus just for having 5 or more T10 ships.

W/the 10k bonus you can actually grind 3 CV lines for 16k each giving you 48k for the 3 CV lines plus the 1 time 10k bonus for a total of 58k tokens.

Sure it's just a mistype on your part there but Colbert is 57k tokens not 54k.

Also you valued 6 resets in 1 season leaving them w,/only 54k tokens...unless if there are CV lines to bring down the total I'm adding 6 lines up to 80k tokens...10k for 1 time bonus + 20k for 1st line + 50k for the other 5 lines.

I haven't read the whole article only what you copy/pasted for reference so I may be missing data for my math assumptions...including clarification on the line, "up to 10k per line..." if that varies other than for CV lines or not having all ships researched on a line.

Also...6 months for the 1st 2 lines is guaranteed (as you have to wait the whole 3 months to get the double point bonus for the next line) but the 3rd may take you less than the whole 3 months so you may get it in less than 9 months overall.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
11,530 posts
32,243 battles
4 hours ago, LoveBote said:
  1. Colbert will cost 54 000 RB tokens
  2. you can earn at least, 10 000 RB tokens per tech tree reset
  3. but, for the 1st tech tree reset per RB season (3 month period) you can earn 2 x RB tokens per tech tree reset
  4. so, you can earn Colbert (54 000 RB tokens) in 9 months, for 3 tech tree resets (worth 60 000 RB tokens).

yup it is confusing, WG is good at that. I hope this clarifies the matter.

just remember a few golden rules, BE PATIENT, ONLY UNLOCK ONE TECH TREE PER  3 MONTH PERIOD, DON'T GIVE ME WG YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS,, DON'T EVER CONSIDER EXCHANGING YOUR RESEARCH TOKENS FOR THE FREE XP BUNDLE!

Hahaha. I have to plan nine months ahead... for a game.

Hokay.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
3,970 posts
22,315 battles
52 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Have fun with that [edited]. Regrinding 5 lines for 1 ship is pure [edited]. 

Only need to grind 3 if you wait 3 months to grind each one.

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,166 posts
24,421 battles

Someone did the math on free xp, but these figures dont include researching the modules.  Not sure if these are correct or not but seem to be close.   For those of you that answered 300 dollars  or 400 dollars+ plus in the poll here, you are probably correct.

• Cool 1

Members
2,096 posts
4,534 battles

400 bucks for a ship. That thing better be shooting anti-ship missiles and give me a 100% win ratio. Thats insane!!!!!!

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,166 posts
24,421 battles
12 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

400 bucks for a ship. That thing better be shooting anti-ship missiles and give me a 100% win ratio. Thats insane!!!!!!

Yes it is.   It seems strange that a lot of people don't put any value on resources if they aren't spending actual money on them.   IMHO, all resources including your time has value.  The big question here is whether you think it is a wise expenditure to participate in the RB.  For me the answer is no.  But for those that are okay with it.....great....go for it and good luck.

[TF16]
Members
262 posts
11,673 battles
7 hours ago, LoveBote said:

dear fellow forumeers : 

Rules of resetting

SEASONS

I hope this is helpful. When in doubt, do feel free to splash out with your credit card to buy boosts, doublons for captain retraining, flags, premium camos for your ships, and of course, doublons to convert elite xp to free xp when you get bored. In case anyoen misunderstands, this is sarcasm. (someone will misunderstand, and splash out on 6 x tech tree resets in the 1st season, spending all their free xp and bank overdraft to grab 54000 RB tokens.)

Summary, DO  NOT RESET MORE THAN ONE TECH TREE PER 3 MONTH SEASON! YOU WILL BE REWARDED FOR YOUR PATIENCE/ (unless you really really want/need Colbert, now, even if you'd have to be crazy to lose out on double Research Point rewards on the first tech tree reset of each season, the difference between 50 000 RP and 100 000 RP for 5 x tech tree resets.) The 250 000 free xp bundles are really just a cover, smoke and mirrors, IMDO. But this reward does appear to be a response to criticism that the RB is a cash grab (it still is IMDO)/

Thanks for doing this it made it a little simpler to understand for potatoes like myself 😊