You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USMC2145

Incoming MM changes with tomorrows patch

25 comments in this topic

Members
1,190 posts
7,114 battles

Matchmaker

We’re introducing strict limitations on the tiers of battles that you can be sent to. For each player, the matchmaker will take into account the number of battles they have played with ships of the same tier as theirs, as well as the number of ships one or two tiers higher.

After a short calibration period that will last up to 20 battles for each battle type and ship tier, the matchmaker will ensure that the percentage of battles with ships of the specified tier does not exceed the set limits. For example, for Tier VIII ships, the limits are expected to be 40% of battles with ships two tiers higher. This means that out of 20 battles you play with Tier VIII ships, a maximum of eight battles will include Tier X ships.

Another advantage of this change is that series of battles will be reliably interrupted, because the matchmaker will analyze the last 20 battles each time. This means that when calibration is done, long series of battles with ships of higher tiers will not occur when repeatedly using a single ship tier.

Source    https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-087-french-destroyers-part-2/

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
11,483 posts
32,103 battles

I am looking forward to these changes.

great job Developers.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,481 posts
12,942 battles

Let's see how well this actually works. The MM tweak some time back that creates more tier8/9 matches does work and does seem to create about 60% top/middle tier matches. The problem for the other 40% for tier 8 is there are very few tier 8's matched up against mostly tier 10's.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,023 posts
3,309 battles
30 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Let's see how well this actually works. The MM tweak some time back that creates more tier8/9 matches does work and does seem to create about 60% top/middle tier matches. The problem for the other 40% for tier 8 is there are very few tier 8's matched up against mostly tier 10's.

I suspect that the current numbers are already close to what they're aiming for this this change, and it's mostly to be able to say "look, MM makes sure you're not always bottom tier." It will be interesting to see how this impacts queue times.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,781 posts
9,663 battles
29 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I suspect that the current numbers are already close to what they're aiming for this this change, and it's mostly to be able to say "look, MM makes sure you're not always bottom tier." It will be interesting to see how this impacts queue times.

I think people tend to understate the impact of the previous mm changes quite a bit, I've seen far more 7-9 spreads than before because the t8's they pulled out of the t10 dominated matches needed to go somewhere.
That being said I think this whole 40/60 thing will have a much bigger impact on the feel than we realize on the less played tiers.  All it takes is one t8 or one t6 who's hit their bottom tier quota for MM to build match specifically for them, which then "shares" that benefit with every other player in queue from that tier.  As far as queue times who knows how much they'll change, but I don't mind waiting a bit more if it means I can queue up in certain ships without feeling like I'm bound to be bottom tier.

[N-W-T]
Members
1,920 posts
7,575 battles
1 hour ago, USMC2145 said:

Another advantage of this change is that series of battles will be reliably interrupted, because the matchmaker will analyze the last 20 battles each time. This means that when calibration is done, long series of battles with ships of higher tiers will not occur when repeatedly using a single ship tier.

I don't understand what they're getting at in that whole paragraph, but the bolded part is especially confusing.  

[WOLF5]
Members
3,023 posts
3,309 battles
12 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

I think people tend to understate the impact of the previous mm changes quite a bit, I've seen far more 7-9 spreads than before because the t8's they pulled out of the t10 dominated matches needed to go somewhere.
That being said I think this whole 40/60 thing will have a much bigger impact on the feel than we realize on the less played tiers.  All it takes is one t8 or one t6 who's hit their bottom tier quota for MM to build match specifically for them, which then "shares" that benefit with every other player in queue from that tier.  As far as queue times who knows how much they'll change, but I don't mind waiting a bit more if it means I can queue up in certain ships without feeling like I'm bound to be bottom tier.

I think your right on the impact one ship will have. We've seen what one CV that's waited too long can do.

And yes, I wouldn't mind waiting longer for better matches. My waits are always less than 30 sec, usually well less. I wouldn't mind around a minute if that was what it takes. We'll see.

6 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I don't understand what they're getting at in that whole paragraph, but the bolded part is especially confusing.  

What they're trying to say is that it won't stick all 8 of your bottom tier battles in a row. Because every battle you play then counts as the 20 MM considers, there's a constant update. Thus as the number of X battles increases, MM will try harder to get you a different battle type. The gist is that you should not have a continuous run of bottom tier (or top tier) battles, they should be relatively balanced in the proper ratios. It's honestly not their worst translation, it's a bit of a tricky idea to translate.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,125 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Quite a few tier VIIIs can hold their own well at tier X. If they are high tier most of the time they will be monsters. I've seen good Atago drivers with Krakens when they were the only tier VIII in a tier X match. They are going to rule tier VIII and below. My new Massachusetts has no problems at all in tier X matches; it's hilariously good at tier VI-VIII. 

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,865 posts
13,960 battles

40% of hell matches, and also at same time they release this terrible re-grind-lines system.

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,481 posts
12,942 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Quite a few tier VIIIs can hold their own well at tier X. If they are high tier most of the time they will be monsters. I've seen good Atago drivers with Krakens when they were the only tier VIII in a tier X match. They are going to rule tier VIII and below. My new Massachusetts has no problems at all in tier X matches; it's hilariously good at tier VI-VIII. 

There are some that tier up well but there are a lot that don't particularly CV's.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,125 posts
19 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

There are some that tier up well but there are a lot that don't particularly CV's.

It's my opinion that CVs should always be top tier. The Furious can barely hold its own at tier VI. It is woefully over-matched by tier VIII ships.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
909 posts
5,992 battles
21 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

40% of hell matches, and also at same time they release this terrible re-grind-lines system.

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

40% hell matches? Aren’t we being a little dramatic? No doubt you have to be on your toes when you’re bottom tier but it’s not like you can’t dish out some pain as well. 

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,831 posts
23,521 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I am looking forward to these changes.

great job Developers.

Me  TOO  ! ! ! 

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,831 posts
23,521 battles
49 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I'm not doing that all over again they can keep their special gifts ……………………………….. 

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,865 posts
13,960 battles
24 minutes ago, Forgottensoldier117 said:

40% hell matches? Aren’t we being a little dramatic? No doubt you have to be on your toes when you’re bottom tier but it’s not like you can’t dish out some pain as well. 

I like drama

giphy.gif

• Funny 1

Members
462 posts
8,687 battles
4 hours ago, USMC2145 said:

Matchmaker

We’re introducing strict limitations on the tiers of battles that you can be sent to. For each player, the matchmaker will take into account the number of battles they have played with ships of the same tier as theirs, as well as the number of ships one or two tiers higher.

After a short calibration period that will last up to 20 battles for each battle type and ship tier, the matchmaker will ensure that the percentage of battles with ships of the specified tier does not exceed the set limits. For example, for Tier VIII ships, the limits are expected to be 40% of battles with ships two tiers higher. This means that out of 20 battles you play with Tier VIII ships, a maximum of eight battles will include Tier X ships.

Source    https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-087-french-destroyers-part-2/

Now if only the MM could fix stupid we could have better matches. :Smile_trollface::Smile_hiding:

Edited by Scrapyard_
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,231 posts
12,965 battles

I usually quit before the 8th consecutive T8 bottom tier game!

[O-PN]
[O-PN]
Members
2,124 posts
4,567 battles

I'd prefer to see....
"Due to the nonlinear scaling in ship capabilities, T8s will never be placed in T10 battles unless a player specifically opts in for such.  We understand that if you want to fight T10 ships, you will just take one.  Furthermore ships between tiers 4-8 will have a 120 second Q time while the server attempts to match players to +/-1 of the tier they've chosen.   During this time period a tier 6 will be matched to T5-7 where the game consists of tiers 5 and 6, or 6 and 7, but not 5, 6, and 7.  There will also be a button labeled "Punish me" that will allow your ship to be put into the first available game up to 3 tier spread.  For instance, a player taking a T7 ship that pushes the button will be placed against T10 ships."

• Cool 2

[TMS]
Members
2,990 posts
28,848 battles

I was showing a newish member the ropes when he just got his bayern.

I think we got pulled to a T8 battle twice and he got really pissed because lack of range and dispersion means he has to get in close where the T8 BBs can pound the fun out of him and nearly make him quit.

The rest of the battles were T7 max.

[IGL]
Members
23 posts
13,846 battles

Matchmaker is still Broken

1.  Why six (6) destroyers in one battle with twelve (12) players, and only three ships in the very next battle?  Both games were at tier 5 and 6 level and the 2nd game started in less than 1 minute after queuing.

01.thumb.jpg.c1be467600d74b3f0cebaea09b99fb34.jpg02.thumb.jpg.20b99b3905f110db6e27a67a300de37d.jpg

2.  Ships of opposing teams may be balanced but player XP is not; resulting in huge differences in the Total XP per Team.  It is therefore not uncommon for more experienced players to lose game after game despite being amongst the top team scorers.  This also contributes to battles where half of a team is dead within the first few minutes, leaving the remaining few to face an enemy with superior numbers; not to mention the revered cyclone tossed in generously as a “game variety” to add further insult to injury for the few survivors.

The team at WOWS has ruled out the option to segregate entry level players from the more experienced by means of leagues (in order to keep queuing times as low as possible), but then player XP should be factored in during matchmaking to properly balance opposing teams. Any bookie will be quick to calculate the odds when taking bets for the team most likely to win the game after considering the following stats taken from the game with three players per side:

TEAM A (BATTLES x XP)

a.  11 275 x 1 029 = 11 601 975 (Player Total XP)

b.  1 549 x 610 = 944 890 (Player Total XP)

c.  4 504 x 1 125 = 5 067 000 (Player Total XP)

Total Battles x Total XP for 3 Players = 17 328 x 2746 = 47 894 592

Total Average XP per Player = 15 964 864

Average XP per Battle = 921.3

TEAM B (BATTLES x XP)

a.  453 x 696 = 315 288 (Player Total XP)

b.  328 x 663 = 217 464 (Player Total XP)

c.  Stats Hidden (Average of all Players) 3 622 x 825 = 2 988 150

Total Battles x Total XP for 3 Players = 4 403 x 2184 = 9 616 152

Total Average XP per Player = 3 205 384

Average XP per Battle = 728

Note: The stats above was taken from overall player stats after battle and not the "Matchmaker App" where XP is calculated per ship.

TO CONCLUDE - Player XP should be considered during matchmaking to balance opposing teams!!

Edited by ArnoldBoer

[INTEL]
Members
2,571 posts
13,417 battles

I hope WG understands that the "MM isn't fair" posts will not abate with this change. :-)

I do applaud their effort to try something new.

[INTEL]
Members
11,483 posts
32,103 battles
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

I'd prefer to see....
"Due to the nonlinear scaling in ship capabilities, T8s will never be placed in T10 battles unless a player specifically opts in for such.  We understand that if you want to fight T10 ships, you will just take one.  Furthermore ships between tiers 4-8 will have a 120 second Q time while the server attempts to match players to +/-1 of the tier they've chosen.   During this time period a tier 6 will be matched to T5-7 where the game consists of tiers 5 and 6, or 6 and 7, but not 5, 6, and 7.  There will also be a button labeled "Punish me" that will allow your ship to be put into the first available game up to 3 tier spread.  For instance, a player taking a T7 ship that pushes the button will be placed against T10 ships."

I can get on board with this. But the devs want T8s as fodder botes for their beloved, coddled T10s, and to make the games go faster. 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Which is really meaningless, considering who plays the game....