You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Alex

Should the Kriegsmarine submarines in World of Warships get the G7ES homing torpedo

29 comments in this topic

[EGN]
Alpha Tester
2,653 posts
5,312 battles

Since submarines are coming to World of Warships, in regards to the Kriegsmarine submarines, would anyone here be keen that they have the ability to use G7ES homing torpedo. For those who do not know what a homing torpedo is, it is meant to chase down and sink a ship.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7es_torpedo

[TROLO]
Members
467 posts
8,630 battles

I suggested that all the Z DDs (excluding Z-39) got them to compensate for they abysmal low damage on high tiers and German Subs were a huge opportunity for them to do it but datamining already revealed that only Balao (US SS) is getting acoustic (homing) torpedos. 

We can probably also expect awful torps for the IJN subs when they come out because WG logic 

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts

Yes, right after they introduce a functioning UI, fix radar, matchmaking, introduce new maps, put all operations back in circulation, balance(hahahahahahahahahah) carriers, and create a new game title World of Cancer, where CVs and submarines can play against each other and leave everyone else in peace.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,481 posts
12,942 battles

I will say no. That is a pattern running torpedo and we already have enough problems with people firing torpedoes into melees, having them come back for another shot or two will only make it worse. Besides, they were designed for use against convoys.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,792 posts
5,814 battles
12 minutes ago, XurMP said:

We can probably also expect awful torps for the IJN subs when they come out because WG logic 

British subs will fire HE shells from their tubes instead of torps, because Wargaming reasons.

Torpedoes on French subs will have speed boost.

Pan Asian subs have shallow water torps which can only hit DDs and other submarines.

Russian subs fire nuclear torpedoes because of balance reasons.

Italian subs will be conspicuous by their absence until the 2030s.

• Funny 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,281 posts
9,171 battles

Of course they should get homing torpedos, just as the Royal Navy should get the hdrogen peroxide powered Explorer class subs that could to 25 knots when submerged./

Oh wait, according to a redditer, all subs will be getting homing torpedos, with terminal guidance on final approach, even better.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,281 posts
9,171 battles
4 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

British subs will fire HE shells from their tubes instead of torps, because Wargaming reasons. will get 25 knot submerged speed

Start campaigning for the Explorer class, you know you want them. If you don't, you will as soon as you click google.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,202 posts

No.

No homing torps, on subs or otherwise. 

Homing torps are exactly the sort of "miserable to play against" nonsense that's going to make all my dire predictions about submarines in this game more than come true.

• Cool 1

Members
2,075 posts
4,457 battles

Russian torpedoes will have nuclear warheads that will instant kill everyone on map not in a glorious russian ship.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,202 posts
5 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Russian torpedoes will have nuclear warheads that will instant kill everyone on map not in a glorious russian ship.

Might as well, the way this is going.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,481 posts
12,942 battles
47 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Of course they should get homing torpedos, just as the Royal Navy should get the hdrogen peroxide powered Explorer class subs that could to 25 knots when submerged./

Oh wait, according to a redditer, all subs will be getting homing torpedos, with terminal guidance on final approach, even better.

46 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Start campaigning for the Explorer class, you know you want them. If you don't, you will as soon as you click google.

Yeah, you will be able to fly while submerged and stay down for a long time. You just won't be able to damage the enemy except by ramming, she had no weapons.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,497 posts
18,037 battles

No, for the same reasons WoW opted NOT to include missile DDs, just way too OP.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,281 posts
9,171 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah, you will be able to fly while submerged and stay down for a long time. You just won't be able to damage the enemy except by ramming, she had no weapons.

that's ok, just need those ramming flags! :Smile_izmena:

• Funny 1

[A-I-M]
Members
2,065 posts
18,680 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I will say no. That is a pattern running torpedo and we already have enough problems with people firing torpedoes into melees, having them come back for another shot or two will only make it worse. Besides, they were designed for use against convoys.

Also had an acoustic homing torp late in the war. Fun times on the way if those show up. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,481 posts
12,942 battles
4 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Also had an acoustic homing torp late in the war. Fun times on the way if those show up. 

I am with @KilljoyCutter on homing torpedoes, NO!

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
13,792 posts
5,814 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

A sub with no weapons, and called 'Exploder' by the crew? Pretty hard sell.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,281 posts
9,171 battles
10 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

A sub with no weapons, and called 'Exploder' by the crew? Pretty hard sell.

well, only have to make HMS Exploder live up to her name right beneath the enemy.

But more seriously, all ww2 era subs were dangerous machines to be in, many sank, or suffered other tragic incidents, not due to the enemy, but due to the nature of ww2 era technology.

But, the two Explorer class subs that were built, while they endured accidents and malfunctions, were prototypes, and it is telling, that despite their reputations, neither of them ever sank, while they tested the technology that is today, essential to AIP submarines.

I'll make the sell easier. not a single hull of the WIP German tech X submarine in WOWS was ever completed. The RNs exploders  Explorers were both built, launched, dived, extensively tested, and only abandoned as nuclear powered submarines changed the game for the RN and its global aspirations. As a Ukaboo, you should be delighted at the prospect. :Smile_glasses:

[WAIFU]
13,792 posts
5,814 battles
4 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

As a Ukaboo, you should be delighted at the prospect. :Smile_glasses:

As a Ukaboo, I'd prefer something with actual weapons like the Oberon class subs. Frankly I don't even want to see subs in the first place, since I am convinced that WG will [edited] it up hard like they did with aircraft carriers.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,481 posts
12,942 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

well, only have to make HMS Exploder live up to her name right beneath the enemy.

But more seriously, all ww2 era subs were dangerous machines to be in, many sank, or suffered other tragic incidents, not due to the enemy, but due to the nature of ww2 era technology.

But, the two Explorer class subs that were built, while they endured accidents and malfunctions, were prototypes, and it is telling, that despite their reputations, neither of them ever sank, while they tested the technology that is today, essential to AIP submarines.

I'll make the sell easier. not a single hull of the WIP German tech X submarine in WOWS was ever completed. The RNs exploders  Explorers were both built, launched, dived, extensively tested, and only abandoned as nuclear powered submarines changed the game for the RN and its global aspirations. As a Ukaboo, you should be delighted at the prospect. :Smile_glasses:

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,281 posts
9,171 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

out of upvotes for the day, but you hit the bullseye with that story. I do know of it (and others equally humiliating). Captain leaving a wire up from his cabin, trailing all the way out through the sail hatch so he could listen to music while he slept. When the sub had to conduct an emergency dive, his crew forgot about the radio antenna, hatch didn't seal properly. Rest of what happened is history.

In recent times, sub accidents are legion, in all navies. From surfacing beneath oil tankers, bumping one another blind in the mid Atlantic depths, diving deep with a toxic battery discharge occuring, dodgy torps exploding, runaway oxygen cartridge fires, and many many more. Who needs an enemy? 

[WOLFC]
Members
627 posts
22,744 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

No, for the same reasons WoW opted NOT to include missile DDs, just way too OP.

You mean like WG opted to NOT include submarines at all in the game?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,497 posts
18,037 battles
3 hours ago, Rumple010 said:

You mean like WG opted to NOT include submarines at all in the game?

No, because so far this has been a decision they actually stuck to, unlike so many, many others.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,497 posts
18,037 battles
5 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

As a Ukaboo, I'd prefer something with actual weapons like the Oberon class subs. Frankly I don't even want to see subs in the first place, since I am convinced that WG will [edited] it up hard like they did with aircraft carriers.

Those who do not learn from History are destined to repeat it.