You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aster_Blistok

American tier 8 premiums

18 comments in this topic

[ARGOS]
Members
2 posts

Hello. What is the difference between American tier 8 premiums Massachusetts and Alabama. In premium shop there is no description for Alabama. They look almost identical but besides $3 difference in price I guess it must be something else. And which one would you recommend? Thanks.

[EQRN]
Members
1,664 posts
13,883 battles

Alabama jives well with the tech tree line, Mass doesn’t - to get the most fun out of it requires a secondary build that isn’t optimal for any other US BB other than Georgia, at the moment. 

[TROLO]
Members
206 posts
13,410 battles

Massachusetts's big thing is monstrous secondaries, with reload, accuracy and range that are the envy of T8 battleships

Alabama has one of the thickest torpedo belts and thus best torpedo damage reduction in the game, only Yamato, Musashi and the French are better. She's also slightly faster and considerably more maneuverable, and a tad more accurate.

They're both really good, but Alabama will take a conventional battleship captain no problem, while Massachusetts kinda needs a highly specialized captain to do well.

[WMD]
Members
1,130 posts
8,179 battles
4 minutes ago, Aster_Blistok said:

Hello. What is the difference between American tier 8 premiums Massachusetts and Alabama. In premium shop there is no description for Alabama. They look almost identical but besides $3 difference in price I guess it must be something else. And which one would you recommend? Thanks.

Mass has very strong secondary guns, Alabama is more like a normal BB.

[O_O]
Members
5,776 posts
13,370 battles

I don't have either, so my opinion means little.

However, it seems that Alabama is kind of boring.  Massachusetts has ridiculous secondaries, similar to what Bismarck USED to have.  That can make for some entertaining games, so she has my interest more than Alabama.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,900 posts
3,940 battles

⁹Compared to North Carolina...

Alabama gives up .1 sigma and has a higher citadel in exchange for fantastic torpedo protection and I believe a slightly better armor scene. 

Massachusetts sacrifices a LOT of gunnery for secondaries. I believe it has 1.6 or 1.7 sigma? I dont know much of the other stats by heart, but it basically gives up a lot of stuff in exchange for a fantastic secondaries.

If you want a US BB that fits well with the line and can be a great captain trainer, then Alabama. If you want a 'for fun' ship that does not fit with the line and you have a extra captain that you can commit to a secondary build, then Massachusetts may suit you well. 

Edited by _1204_

Members
1,889 posts
6,897 battles
18 minutes ago, Aster_Blistok said:

The WOWs "in-game" differences will be available on the WOWs wiki, I figure.
I haven't played the Alabama.  I have the USS Massachusetts and like how nicely she behaves.

But, historically, they were of the same "South Dakota" class of battleships.

Quote:
"...The South Dakota class was a group of four fast battleships built by the United States Navy. They were the second class of battleships to be named after the 40th state; the first were designed in the 1920s and canceled under the terms of the Washington Naval Treaty.

Four ships comprised the class: South Dakota, Indiana, Massachusetts, and Alabama.  ..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota-class_battleship_(1939)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,465 posts
16,255 battles
24 minutes ago, Aster_Blistok said:

Hello. What is the difference between American tier 8 premiums Massachusetts and Alabama.

Alabama:

• More accurate main guns
  • Weaker secondaries
  • Gels very well with the USN BB line, making captain training easier

Massa:

• Less accurate main guns
  • Very powerful secondaries
  • Needs a dedicated, high points captain to make the most out of the ship

The main concensus is that Massa is the better ship.

[TROLO]
Members
206 posts
13,410 battles
9 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Alabama gives up .1 sigma and has a higher citadel in exchange for fantastic torpedo protection and I believe a slightly better armor scene. 

That used to be the case, but now Alabama has the same waterline citadel as the rest of the American high-tier battleships. And since she handles better than NC and Iowa (damn I HATE how sluggish such a powerful and modern battleship can be at times) the times she has to sit full broadside while making turns is less.

Members
1,889 posts
6,897 battles
2 minutes ago, Nine_Lives_ said:

That used to be the case, but now Alabama has the same waterline citadel as the rest of the American high-tier battleships. And since she handles better than NC and Iowa (damn I HATE how sluggish such a powerful and modern battleship can be at times) the times she has to sit full broadside while making turns is less.

The Iowa has a longer overall length than the Alabama & Massachusetts.
I think that is why the South Dakota class can turn better, because of their shorter length and a decent propulsion specification.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,447 posts
12,940 battles

I have played both as an event captain. As has already been mentioned the "Bama will work fine with any US BB captain. The Mass really needs a secondary build which as also been mentioned is not something you would normally have for a US BB captain. Now if you have an extra high point US captain that you can respec to that full secondary build you will have a ball but you will not have a trainer.

[RLGN]
Members
12,248 posts
21,976 battles

Extra captain to commit...

Actually not a problem as I have a glut of captains... (having never dismissed any in four years of playing.)

Though I think my New Mexico captain may be in Mammie right now.

[AAA]
Members
930 posts
10,554 battles

Alabama is a for all practical purposes a NC clone. Slight more manouverable. Slightly less accurate. Better torp protection. Great trainer for the USN BB line

Mass is a secondary BB. It requires a 14 pt captain minimum and the captain is not really useful on other USN BB unless you also have the Georgia. However for kicks and giggles I occasionally put her on the Might Mo sail into dd range. Pop radar and set secondaries to annihilate dd. Other than that they have no place on a USN BB

[WOLF5]
Members
3,013 posts
3,309 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Extra captain to commit...

Actually not a problem as I have a glut of captains... (having never dismissed any in four years of playing.)

Though I think my New Mexico captain may be in Mammie right now.

Now I'm wondering if you run secondary NM or he just ended up there for reasons.

OP: MA has slightly worse dispersion and AA ( I believe) than the AL in exchange for epic secondaries, and a good heal. The AL is stat wise a NC but with worse accuracy, concealment and AA but better torp protection (WAY better torp protection) and maneuverability. I forget if the MA shares the AL's torp belt.

The MA and GA heal restores more HP per charge and has a faster cooldown, which makes it better in brawls. The secondaries on the MA have buffed reload, range, and accuracy compared to those on other T8 USN BBs. In fact they're arguably the best at the tier, though their penetration is lacking due to low caliber. But regardless you know easily compete with the Germans and the French.

The caveat with the secondaries is you have to invest in them. The upgrades are straightforward. But AFT and MFCSA are really needed, and IFHE is commonly used to get the damage up. And right now the only other USN ship that benefits from this special secondary build is the GA, and probably the OH eventually. But if you have the captain, those secondaries are a lot of fun.

[RLGN]
Members
12,248 posts
21,976 battles
26 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Now I'm wondering if you run secondary NM or he just ended up there for reasons.

In terms of numbers it’s at least worth doing on New Mexico.

New York and Texas are the weirdos of USN battleships; Even South Carolina and Wyoming have more.

Just because; I put a full secondaries captain in South Carolina once and ran it out in a Co-op game as an experiment...

...150+ hits...

I about had a cow.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,645 posts
10,464 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

New York and Texas are the weirdos of USN battleships; Even South Carolina and Wyoming have more.

New York A hull is actually sort of OK. When you go to the B hull, though, you get the reduced set the Texas has.