You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
eMercody_Viveleny

I can’t seem to find a DD line I want to play

22 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
2,036 battles

I’ve been thinking of it being about time to dust off my least played class with the surge of DDs suffocating MM and their supposed counter being nonexistent in the queue. Of course there is a reason I don’t play them because I’m yet to find any I like. I burned out on Minekaze first, then Gnevny, Nicholas is in my port but I don’t feel like playing it. Tbh CVs have yet to give me all that much trouble in any of them.

To help tailor the suggestions here’s some stuff on other classes. Carriers are on hiatus because their economy sucks and because I’m not t10 they also kinda suck. Didn’t like Alsace enough to switch nations, unsure of the results of that but went USN for better range and armor, but currently on Colorado which is too slow, vulnerability to 406+ guns and inaccurate. For cruisers I’m on admiral hipper, but guns feel ineffective and she is painfully frail, not a fan, hoping Roon solves that. I have learned to kite and enjoy murdering DDs under hydro with this line. I also picked up the Yubari and enjoy it for murdering DDs.

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,825 posts
19 minutes ago, eMercody_Viveleny said:

I’ve been thinking of it being about time to dust off my least played class with the surge of DDs suffocating MM and their supposed counter being nonexistent in the queue.

As much as I like CVs, cruisers are the defacto, there in every game, effective DD counter.  In the lessor complicated rock paper scissors class mechanics, that is what cruisers were designed to do.

Members
1,860 posts
6,828 battles

A skillful DD player can get a ship, that has 1/4 to 1/3 the hit points of a BB, through a game by remaining afloat and sinking one or more enemy ships.

If that isn't enough of a challenge for you, then what does interest you?  :-)

Members
5 posts
2,036 battles
2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

A skillful DD player can get a ship, that has 1/4 to 1/3 the hit points of a BB, through a game by remaining afloat and sinking one or more enemy ships.

If that isn't enough of a challenge for you, then what does interest you?  :-)

Not exactly sure what you mean by that

[KRAK]
Members
3,467 posts
19,281 battles
20 minutes ago, eMercody_Viveleny said:

I’ve been thinking of it being about time to dust off my least played class with the surge of DDs suffocating MM and their supposed counter being nonexistent in the queue. Of course there is a reason I don’t play them because I’m yet to find any I like. I burned out on Minekaze first, then Gnevny, Nicholas is in my port but I don’t feel like playing it. Tbh CVs have yet to give me all that much trouble in any of them.

To help tailor the suggestions here’s some stuff on other classes. Carriers are on hiatus because their economy sucks and because I’m not t10 they also kinda suck. Didn’t like Alsace enough to switch nations, unsure of the results of that but went USN for better range and armor, but currently on Colorado which is too slow, vulnerability to 406+ guns and inaccurate. For cruisers I’m on admiral hipper, but guns feel ineffective and she is painfully frail, not a fan, hoping Roon solves that. I have learned to kite and enjoy murdering DDs under hydro with this line. I also picked up the Yubari and enjoy it for murdering DDs.

Carriers are in nearly every match I play in no one is on hiatus..

The counter to DD is other DD and Cruisers not CV anyway.

Members
1,860 posts
6,828 battles
22 minutes ago, eMercody_Viveleny said:

To quote you (twice).  "Not exactly sure what you mean by that"

Members
5 posts
2,036 battles
20 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

To quote you (twice).  "Not exactly sure what you mean by that"

Simply put, I’m looking for a DD line that I find fun, I haven’t found it yet so a listed other things I did to help find a line.

Members
1,860 posts
6,828 battles

The Russian DD line is interesting/challenging.  

Their short-range torpedoes (4km) involve getting close to enemy ships.  They have decent main-battery guns for DD's of their tier.
Most of them are maneuverable and have decent "detection radius" specifications.

[MTP]
Beta Testers
68 posts
14,429 battles

Now days it kind of boils down to this. Do you like gun boats and burning ships up or do you like torping ships. Some are good at both but there is always some trade off. Some look great on paper but just do not perform all that well in the game. Also some are better for Clan Wars or Ranked battles and others are better for random battles. You really have to decide what it is that you want to do with it and go for the line that is made for that purpose. 

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,828 posts
23,472 battles

You can wait for the ( Italian ) destroyers  to come out with their special Gold Rounds ………………………………... 

Members
5 posts
2,036 battles
1 minute ago, Grumpy_Chief said:

Now days it kind of boils down to this. Do you like gun boats and burning ships up or do you like torping ships. Some are good at both but there is always some trade off. Some look great on paper but just do not perform all that well in the game. Also some are better for Clan Wars or Ranked battles and others are better for random battles. You really have to decide what it is that you want to do with it and go for the line that is made for that purpose. 

That’s the thing, I don’t really know, but I’m wasn’t very impressed with USN and Russian guns at least to how high I got them.

[MTP]
Beta Testers
68 posts
14,429 battles
11 minutes ago, eMercody_Viveleny said:

That’s the thing, I don’t really know, but I’m wasn’t very impressed with USN and Russian guns at least to how high I got them.

https://na.wows-numbers.com   if you go here you can select one of the headings near the top called WARSHIPS and you can see how well the average player does with each ship in the game and this can give you some idea how this ship will perform for you as an average player. You can also see which T10 ships seem to do best overall. Lots of times the lower tear ships can be somewhat frustrating but worth the grind to get the T10 at the end of the rainbow. lol

[POP]
Members
1,526 posts
18,955 battles
9 hours ago, eMercody_Viveleny said:

I think they are all great. It will all depend on the play style you like or are best suited for. Having gone up all the lines I think I had the most ease with the Brits (I had accumulated the experience of all the other lines before going through them), learned the most about cap contesting and flex adaptability from the US and KM. They all give a little different nuance or even totally different playstyles. Most lines don't really start coming into their own until around T5-6 IMO.

If you find Colorado inaccurate you may want to spend more time in it practicing gunnery or maybe try the IJN or possibly RU BB line. Roon will take away the engine loss Hipper can suffer from and give you more HP to play with but the gunnery will largely be the same. 

Edited by Alabamastan

Members
532 posts
4,878 battles

You got the French line coming tomorrow which I find to be the most “fun” T8 and above. They require situational awareness and no fear of death. They are not easy to master but very rewarding when you do. I think of my Mogador as the Ferrari of the sea. 54.4 knots at T9 runs laps around most DDs at that tier. But the no smoke can be hard for a lot of people to adjust to. Gotta have an escape route. IJN gunboat line is a hoot as well. Either way you will have to suffer through meh to get to the good stuff. 

[AAA]
Members
919 posts
10,499 battles

My favorite dds are the Zeds, Fletchers, Gearing, Jutland, Daring and the Groz.

But you have to grind to get to all of them.  USN and KM mid tier aren't the most fun. The RN are, and the Russians are hilarious cruisers.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,073 posts
12,817 battles

To find what DD class you wanna play, you must first know what do you want to do as a DD. If you want to play a pure gunboat DD focusing on killing other DD, Shimakaze will not be your first option. If you want to play a sneaky DD with good torps power, Khabarosvk is a big no.

[WORX]
Members
7,010 posts
16,410 battles

The weakest/highest skill requirement DD are

1. PA-DDs
  2. IJN torp line DDs.

The meh DD line

1. USA
  2. Germany

The flat out OP/Over capable DD line

1. RU DDs
  2. French DD
  3. IJN Gun DDs
  4. Any Gun DD against torp DDs

The newbie forgiving DD line

1. British

AA strong DDs

1. Kidd
  2. RU DD Udaloi line

No Matter what nation or DD you play, its *IMPORTANT* to know how to play the game mode. I cant stress it enough...

Hope this helps  OP

• Confused 1

Members
5 posts
2,036 battles

I guess I’ve built up some options I’m considering 

I might enjoy the germans because anti DD, but I’m hearing they aren’t doing too hot rn

My next option might be the brits due to how positive people’s opinions are on them and the good numbers/ wr

Then there are the French, they can take some punishment and apparently they have exceptional guns even compared to gun DDs, my luck with gun DDs hasn’t been great though.

Members
898 posts

From a performance perspective (EXP or DMG average on WOWS-Numbers) the mid-tier Pan-Asian destroyers are some of the best Tech Tree destroyers.

PA destroyers generally have fast guns and enough of them for plenty of DPM in a gunfight.  Their Deep-Water Torpedoes have good range and power against cruisers and battleships.  The fact that DWTs can't hit DDs means you focus on gunning down other DDs.  The Gadjah Mada, in particular, seems to have a reputation as a DD killer.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,785 posts
4,594 battles
8 hours ago, eMercody_Viveleny said:

I can’t seem to find a DD line I want to play

Sounds like a personal problem to me.