You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MikeOxmauI

The Future of the Economy Discussion

30 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts

Hello. 

I just saw that @NoZoupForYou just posted a new video discussing how he thinks the economy of World Of Warships needs to be changed. He notes that there are too many economies in the game right now and he recommended that Wargaming take away everyone’s credits, everyone’s, XP, and everyone’s coal and steel and restart fresh. This is a terrible idea due to the fact that if this is done, what do players have to show for after hours upon hours of grinding for credits and XP, hundreds of ranked matches for some steel, and all the coal we’ve saved up for months to get a shiny new ship. On top of that, some players have spent real money to buy credits or convert XP to free XP and if this is taken away, it is not fair for these players. What are Yalls thoughts on this topic?

• Cool 2

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,894 posts
8,457 battles

Maybe WG can give you research bureau points to compensate for the loss of the other currencies. hehehe 

On the other hand that might be a good motivation to spend all my silver, coal, steel, free xp, captain xp, CB and ranked junk and whatever other tokens I have accumulated before such a reset. 

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,293 posts
9,171 battles

credits, xp, steel, coal and all the other currencies, have monetary value. This value is defined by WOWS conversion rates, themselves dictated by the prices of credit and doublons sold inthe premium shop. This is why, even at the end of time limited events, WOWS always converts your tokens into their credit value, rather than simply deleting them from existence.

But, having said this, I have been recently contradicted by the intention of WG to only reimburse 50% of the credit value of ships sold as part of a Research Bureau reset, and 0% of any free xp already spent to unlock them. Loophole maybe.

So while I am sympathetic to those who point out the WOWS economy is broken, I cannot imagine WOWSWG deleting anyone's currency, anytime soon (unless they have broken the EULA which of course, provides for an account reset in specific circumstances.

[KSE]
Members
3,908 posts
18,339 battles

@MikeOxmauI  Come on you know Zoup is like reading the enquirer

Hes out just Stir up as much drama as he possibly can

Hes all about the big D and I don't mean Dallas

Edited by Lexington_MuseumO1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,293 posts
9,171 battles
Just now, Lexington_MuseumO1 said:

@MikeOxmauI  Come on you know Zoup is like reading the enquirer

Hes out just Stir up as much drama as he possibly can

he is terribly naughty.

[NGAGE]
Members
186 posts
12,596 battles

I am sure every one would take this just fine with no reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeing

[KSE]
Members
3,908 posts
18,339 battles
2 minutes ago, LordOFace said:

I am sure every one would take this just fine with no reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeing

But hes very entertaining I always get a good chuckle

[OO7]
Members
6,035 posts
13,061 battles

Perhaps the cc program can be nuked and remade?? 

Makes as much sense. 

Zoup can nuke his Twitch and yt accounts and build them from the ground up and see hiw long it takes to get back to being able to apply for the cc program. 

Edited by Lexington_MuseumO7
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,866 posts
13,975 battles

If they merge the economy to one or 2 currences its going inflate the prices... A LOT.

They cant just "reset" the player acc at this state, if they do that they will just going kill the game.

[DOG]
Members
448 posts
9,434 battles
14 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

But, having said this, I have been recently contradicted by the intention of WG to only reimburse 50% of the credit value of ships sold as part of a Research Bureau reset, and 0% of any free xp already spent to unlock them. Loophole maybe.

So while I am sympathetic to those who point out the WOWS economy is broken, I cannot imagine WOWSWG deleting anyone's currency, anytime soon (unless they have broken the EULA which of course, provides for an account reset in specific circumstances.

You ALWAYS only ever got 50% of the purchase price when selling a ship, so the RB approach is consistent (NOTE: slight discounts apply on received credits if you sold a ship which was currently on sale - to get the full 50% for those ships you had to wait for the sale to end).

The elite ship XP is being transferred to the tier I ship (so it's still available for spending dubloons to convert it into Free XP - not lost).  I doubt that WG has any record that the ships you researched (or their upgraded modules) was earned by regular XP or Free XP.  You aren't getting any "credit" for the regular XP spent on it (so why should you get it for the Free XP you spent).  The whole idea here is to get you to re-grind the ship line (either by replaying each ship or spending accumulated Free XP).

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,562 battles

Someone much cleverer has already been hard at work fixing the in-game economy on the WG side for over a year now. The right way to do these things is slowly, using a combination of currency sinks and diminishing return structures. Did you notice, for example, that MOST of the rewards in a given cycle are in the form of tokens now, which don't carry over meaningfully between patches? Plans like that have been interwoven with a gradual shift in the game's monetization structure, away from a reliance on one-time purchases (premium ships or bust), back toward a reliance on economic acceleration and time-saving.

I don't like the amount that this person has been leaning on the "milk players for more playtime so queues don't get long" pedal lately, but they're clearly not stupid. They should be backing that off now that the summer drought is ending.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,293 posts
9,171 battles
Just now, dashtardly said:

I doubt that WG has any record that the ships you researched (or their upgraded modules) was earned by regular XP or Free XP. 

I have zero doubts, their server logs have all of this info.

[KERMT]
Members
739 posts

doubloons 

Silver 

Coal

Steel 

Free XP( if you really want to count this) 

Event tokens (2x at a time usually seem to be running at once) 

Doesn't seem like much and because I have the ability 'Object permanence' it is a non issue for me. 

too many people have in their heads 'I WANT ALL THE SHIPS' 

If you do that, it is a grind. 

I have researched on the Wiki what ships are like, I watched videos and have planned what ships I want to keep. 

I do have 100 ships but only really play 20 consistently. 

So I play to master certain ships and seems fine to me. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,521 posts
12,983 battles

He is not necessarily wrong but what needs to be fixed is there are no credit sinks.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,562 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

He is not necessarily wrong but what needs to be fixed is there are no credit sinks.

Research Bureau sinks 30M per reset. You only get half the ships' credit value back, since they're being "sold".

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,293 posts
9,171 battles
8 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

I have researched on the Wiki what ships are like, I watched videos and have planned what ships I want to keep. 

I do have 100 ships but only really play 20 consistently. 

So I play to master certain ships and seems fine to me. 

I spent a year playing one ship 99% of the time. I had great fun, simple view of things. Then it was "balanced" again :Smile_child:

but during that year, I had zero interest in currencies, of game modes outside randoms (I still don't, to be honest), of special events, of grinding tech trees. heaven! WG could have deleted all my other ships, deleted all my various and sundry currencies, reset my account, if only they let me keep just that one ship, and keep it "unbalanced".

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,293 posts
9,171 battles
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Research Bureau sinks 30M per reset. You only get half the ships' credit value back, since they're being "sold".

but what's 30M when we have billions of credits already?

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,589 posts
5,086 battles

Well..Honestly .Not sure nuking is the answer, but the economy does feel pretty borked at this point?   Grinds are short... XP & free XP flow like water with all the flags they give.  Highest tier reward ships for free just for playing a lot for 5-6 months..   Feels like they are throwing free stuff at us in lieu of actual development at times.   

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,986 posts
16,562 battles
3 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

but what's 30M when we have billions of credits already?

It's 200M out of the economy for each ship they release into the Research Bureau. As long as that's a net loss for you during the same time period, it's doing its job. As I said, these changes are designed to operate very slowly over time.

[KAPPA]
Members
2,366 posts
7,195 battles

If you thought the NTC reaction, the premium nerfing reaction, the CV rework posts, and the matchmaking posts were bad, imagine all of them combined and then multiplied and you have a perfect crapstorm.

Alpha Tester
4,058 posts
5,417 battles
35 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

It's 200M out of the economy for each ship they release into the Research Bureau. As long as that's a net loss for you during the same time period, it's doing its job. As I said, these changes are designed to operate very slowly over time.

I don't think it's necessarily WG's intent to sink huge amounts of credits, as there's lots of premium ships and premium camo that make sinking credits long-term a fairly difficult task. WG sink targets are probably coal/steel and FXP. Players having huge sums of these resources is more of a problem as they can be used to get new content quickly without playing the game more.