Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
heliumcat

Poor combat missions interface

3 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2 posts
8,635 battles

The interface WoWs currently uses for its Combat Missions is very poor.

When a player wins a battle a handy summary of "Combat Missions" pops up which can be clicked to show your current progress along the many different combat missions available. This is all well and good.

However, the player is given little relevant information in the game aside from their current progress. It would be extremely useful to know what the reward is for completing the mission. Sometimes this can be found if you dig around the WoWs website or forum. Frequently things such as the daily missions show up under names which don't appear on anywhere else though and it can often be quite difficult to figure out what the details of the mission are or even what mission is being talked about.

I strongly suggest including in the "Victory/Defeat" pop-up information additional details such as the REWARD for fulfilling the mission. Maybe including a link to a webpage where the player can go get ALL of the information about the mission. Forcing your players to dig around your forum and website for information is annoying and rather poor interface design.

I've included a sample of what could easily be done to fix this in the attached image.

It can often be difficult to get information or the information provided is incomplete or misleading.

For example, the Victory splash page shown says I've completed the "gamescom 2019 --- Show the Flag! Part 1" combat mission, but no other information is given.

So I go visit the website, https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/

.... but nothing on this mission seems to be there.

I resort to an internet search and I find .... the event seems to be only for the EU.

I can't sign in to the EU WoWs website to click the "participate" button. That being the case, I have to ask why this EU only combat mission is showing up for me then? How did I complete the mission if it isn't available? Is this mission just buried somewhere on the NA site?

I wish this was the only instance of this. Disappearing reward containers, confusing missions, a vanishing bunch of odd French themed tokens which I won but cannot now be located anywhere in the game interface (no not "republic tokens", some other thing), and so on.

While I really appreciate the themed events and combat missions and other such fun things - it is a chaotic mess of poor interfaces, confusing directives, and multiple channels of information that nevertheless fail to impart critical knowledge. This takes an otherwise fun game and makes it annoying and frustrating.

You have a wonderful game. Surely the company can do a better job of providing useful information to your player base.

sample1.jpg

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
20,250 battles

@heliumcat mouse over that box on the right edge of the mission window brought up from the port page. The end of battle page need show nothing other than you made progress or complete it.

Exit to port and check. Better yet check before pressing battle and then remember.

Beta Testers
2 posts
8,635 battles

The point isn't that you can't see the progress. You can even look up quite a lot of stuff either here or on the website. The point is - you shouldn't have to work at digging out basic information about what is going on in the game. The game should be intuitive and easy to understand. Making the game difficult to figure out, obtuse, and complicated to deal with only serves to turn off players - especially new ones. It is not much fun having to root through various forums, websites, and so on just to get simple info such as "what is this combat mission about?". That info should be only a few clicks away from within the game itself. Instead the interface is a complex uninformative mess.

For example, you can click on the "Combat Missions" bar in game and see all of the missions, events, and assignments available. Now click on one of them. What do you get? Nothing. The "French Destroyers" event is advertised. It lets you know how long the event runs and provides an uninformative blurb at the bottom (see attached pic). Does this link to an informative website? No. Does it provide any info abut participating in the event? No.  Do any of the "combat missions" just underneath the "events" button do any better? Well, they at least tell you what you need to finish them and the criteria. Do they provide any links to more info? No. Any info about why a player should even bother with these events? No. What the reward is for grinding these events out? No.

See the pattern here? This is just bad design. It wouldn't even be a hard thing to fix - just provide a link to more information by clicking on the picture for example.

Wargaming is struggling to bring new players into the game and wondering why people are leaving despite being given a smorgasbord of events and free stuff. The answer is quite literally staring at them every time they start the game.

sample2.jpg

Sign in to follow this