Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
capncrunch21

So is the Friant like one of the Dev's favorites, or what?

26 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
1,388 posts

Seriously, the fake Tier 3 Friant is already really a Tier 5 ship. I've seen seasoned players take 7 kills in it in co-op. The gun layout is T5, the enormous amount of torpedoes is T5 (just ask Konigsberg), and the secondary guns are actually better than the T4 Dougay-Troulin.

And now this...

• Increased the normalization from 8.5 to 10 degrees for AP shells of French destroyers armed with 139 mm main guns and French cruiser flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fanormal_50015a4b81edf8dec325a3c030cb526dc III Friant. This change will make the AP shell normalization consistent with the standard normalization for this caliber, and will slightly improve their armor-penetration capabilities.

Seriously??

Why is this OP fake ship getting even more improvements? If anything it needs HALF of it torpedoes taken away just to bring it close to being a T3 ship again.

Come on WG, this is just plain wrong. Give your favorite ship a gun improvement if you want, but remove half its torps to compensate. It's fake, so you can do whatever you need to.

(and before anyone says anything about its battle stats - remember the VAST majority of players using it are newbies that have no clue how to use it fully before moving on to the next tier ship) 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 1

[BOTO]
Members
998 posts
13,063 battles
13 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

Seriously, the fake Tier 3 Friant is already really a Tier 5 ship. I've seen seasoned players take 7 kills in it in co-op. The gun layout is T5, the enormous amount of torpedoes is T5 (just ask Konigsberg), and the secondary guns are actually better than the T4 Dougay-Troulin.

And now this...

• Increased the normalization from 8.5 to 10 degrees for AP shells of French destroyers armed with 139 mm main guns and French cruiser flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fanormal_50015a4b81edf8dec325a3c030cb526dc III Friant. This change will make the AP shell normalization consistent with the standard normalization for this caliber, and will slightly improve their armor-penetration capabilities.

Seriously??

Why is this OP fake ship getting even more improvements? If anything it needs HALF of it torpedoes taken away just to bring it close to being a T3 ship again.

Come on WG, this is just plain wrong. Give your favorite ship a gun improvement if you want, but remove half its torps to compensate. It's fake, so you can do whatever you need to.

(and before anyone says anything about its battle stats - remember the VAST majority of players using it are newbies that have no clue how to use it fully before moving on to the next tier ship) 

Interesting you bring up the stats, because all the stats show it to be under-performing at her tier.  How is it you know that the VAST majority of players using it are newbies? That claim would also imply that only experienced players are playing the other cruisers at that tier.

As far as it being a Tier 5........no, you would NOT want to play Friant in a Tier 5 matchup. 

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
3,803 posts
5,502 battles

You are looking at it the wrong way;It doesn't have to do with Friant but with the 139mm some of the French DDs carry. It's a uniform change to this specific caliber.

• Cool 1

[SCOM]
Members
103 posts
7,483 battles

Whats funny is it uses the guns from the tier 8 French destroyers.  Well, not exactly but they are the same shells and stats.  The guns are good but a 25 second turret traverse is rough.  You really have to plan ahead with it.

It also has terrible armor.  So to use those torps you need to be island ambushing for the most part.

It is the only low tier French cruiser I remember from the grind up the line.  It was fun but did seem a bit over powered.  In my 4 random battles I managed a Kraken with 98,000 damage and never lost a battle. Maybe they should reduce the damage of the torps?  Those seem a bit high for the tier.  They have almost 60% more damage than the same tier French destroyer and it carries 3 times as many.

That was the last time I played it though.

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
328 posts

7 kills in co-op is not a good metric for whether a ship is OP or not. I've gotten 7 kills in my Black Swan; does that mean that the Black Swan is OP? No, it just means that bots are as dumb as bricks.

Edited by Hermetica
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
16,275 posts
11,148 battles
8 minutes ago, Wanturskul said:

Whats funny is it uses the guns from the tier 8 French destroyers. 

Friant came first in-game by a very long margin, just so you know.

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
23,551 posts
21,111 battles
55 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

And now this...

Seriously??

It's funny you say Friant is OP when there are several Tier III Cruisers that are doing better than her :Smile_trollface:

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/shipstats/na/ship_20190629.html

And LOL saying that the "VAST majority of players using it are newbies" as you have no proof of that.  Low tier are full of newbies, if you haven't realized it.

6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Friant came first in-game by a very long margin, just so you know.

How dare you use facts!  The nerve!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,167 posts
4,602 battles
7 minutes ago, Hermetica said:

I've gotten 7 kills in my Black Swan; does that mean that the Black Swan is OP?

Actually, yes.  And they nerfed it hard.

Friant can be a beast in the right hands.  But then, so can St. Louis.  It's pointless to complain about balance at T3.  No one stays there long enough to care.

To be fair, I do visit from time to time.

[TIGRB]
Members
782 posts
15,654 battles
35 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Interesting you bring up the stats, because all the stats show it to be under-performing at her tier.  How is it you know that the VAST majority of players using it are newbies? That claim would also imply that only experienced players are playing the other cruisers at that tier.

As far as it being a Tier 5........no, you would NOT want to play Friant in a Tier 5 matchup. 

Well Said Sir

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
328 posts
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Actually, yes.  And they nerfed it hard.

Friant can be a beast in the right hands.  But then, so can St. Louis.  It's pointless to complain about balance at T3.  No one stays there long enough to care.

To be fair, I do visit from time to time.

I should clarify: I got seven kills with it recently. It is not an OP ship in the slightest these days, and I'm no unicum. Bot kills are simply a terrible metric for judging a ship's OP-ness.

[SIMP]
Members
1,388 posts
21 hours ago, ThatsAPaladin said:

The buff is a buff the french 139mm guns, which the friant happens to have. 

Of course it does.

What's the biggest caliber you can put on a ship and still have it benefit from AFT and BFT?  139mm.

Amazing that the fake Friant just so happens to have that caliber... 

You white knights can apologize all day long and make excuses for WG, but this ship is an obvious favorite of someone at WG. 

(the only thing this ship doesn't have as to make it Tier 5  is hit points)

• Confused 1

[ARGSY]
Members
16,275 posts
11,148 battles
14 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

You white knights can apologize all day long and make excuses for WG, but this ship is an obvious favorite of someone at WG. 

So what are you whining about? Go get yourself one and use it if you think it's so damned OP. It won't cost you anything.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
2,944 posts
8,093 battles
23 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

And now this...

Seriously??

The Freakant has always been OP af. I love t. Everybody does.

It is the common person's antidote to hot shots in their fancy-schmancy Ark Betas and Impotent Nikolais. Oh, the salt.

Edited by So_lt_Goes

[UFFA]
Members
1,946 posts
73 battles
23 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

And now this...

Seriously??

Good news for you. WG almost did this with the Italian line. Then decided to take the Italian Friant, Paolo Emilio, and turn it into a tier X destroyer and use a prize ship instead.

Maybe WG will do the same for the French. Add in the Mulhouse and place Friant elsewhere?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Stralsund

Edited by Sparviero

[-K-]
Members
7,631 posts
12,501 battles

Are we really wasting this much effort complaining about a T3 ship? 

2-3 matches in PvP and you're done with it.  Not sure why the need to gripe.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
16,275 posts
11,148 battles
17 hours ago, Sparviero said:

Then decided to take the Italian Friant, Paolo Emilio, and turn it into a tier X destroyer

Funny, because the first time I saw a Kleber I thought "This is a Tier 10 Friant."

[UFFA]
Members
1,946 posts
73 battles
28 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Pro league St. Louis players?

[POP]
Members
1,540 posts
19,586 battles
17 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Dev's favorite?

I think you misspelled Bogatyr.

Bogatyr? I think you mean Lert not the devs :)

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,956 posts
4,343 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

its such a fun ship though ! :D 

The Friant and Duguay-Trouin are my favorite low tier cruisers. 

[WOLFG]
Members
7,792 posts
5,847 battles
1 hour ago, Alabamastan said:

Bogatyr? I think you mean Lert not the devs :)

Dogs have devs for owners.

Cats have devs for servants.

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
23,551 posts
21,111 battles
20 hours ago, capncrunch21 said:

Of course it does.

What's the biggest caliber you can put on a ship and still have it benefit from AFT and BFT?  139mm.

Amazing that the fake Friant just so happens to have that caliber... 

(the only thing this ship doesn't have as to make it Tier 5  is hit points)

You still haven't explained why this ship is "OP" when there are several others in the same tier that are doing better :Smile_trollface:

130mm-Bogatyr is almost twice the firepower, reloads quicker, and reaps the same benefits of taking BFT & AFT.

Fun fact.  The extra range you get with AFT on Friant is largely useless because the shells hang in the air too long.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TORCH]
Members
401 posts
11,363 battles
On 8/20/2019 at 3:05 PM, capncrunch21 said:

before anyone says anything about its battle stats - remember the VAST majority of players using it are newbies that have no clue how to use it fully before moving on to the next tier ship

Assuming you are right (though I'd sure like to know the source of your data), this would surely be true of all T3 ships, would it not?  And thus, over the hundreds of thousands of battles fought, the average skill of captains would be the same.  That is why you CAN compare the stats for same-tier ships.  And the stats don't support you, here.  In fact, the stats show Friant to be, if anything, underperforming a bit at tier.  Which is about what I remember from when I played her, admittedly quite some time ago.  It's also, however, what I still experience when playing AGAINST Friant, in my Charleston or Bogatyr.  I do not fear Friant.  I can usually fill a Friant with more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese before she gets close enough to even put her torpedoes in the water.  And the thing has no armor, so every hit, from every point of the compass, will hurt.

In the hands of a really good player, yes, Friant can be a beast.  But I'd argue that this is true of all ships.  Well, ok, maybe not the Karlsruhe, but...most ships.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,956 posts
4,343 battles
31 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You still haven't explained why this ship is "OP" when there are several others in the same tier that are doing better :Smile_trollface:

130mm-Bogatyr is almost twice the firepower, reloads quicker, and reaps the same benefits of taking BFT & AFT.

Fun fact.  The extra range you get with AFT on Friant is largely useless because the shells hang in the air too long.

for me I love the Friant and Duguay cause of the turret / layout. Not Casemates like a lot of similar tier ships. 

And the torps! :) 

Sign in to follow this