You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Free commander skill reset, which skills should I use?

17 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
3,504 posts
10,740 battles

War Gaming has given us until August 29th to reset commander points for free. How should I respect my AA commander I use on my Atlanta & Sims? What about the Cleveland? Then there are the ships with questionable AA, what about them?

I really do appreciate the free rest but it ends on August 29th. That isn't much time to test builds plus the French DD's event is in full swing.

I'll be checking YouTube & the forum for answers but I do wished WG gave us a little more time.

[WOLFG]
Members
326 posts
9,229 battles

I use the World of Warships Wiki to set up my ships. Most ships have guides as to how to set them up with upgrades and commander skills. I find it very useful.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

[ARMDG]
Members
1,160 posts
3,847 battles
1 hour ago, Colonel_Potter said:

I use the World of Warships Wiki to set up my ships. Most ships have guides as to how to set them up with upgrades and commander skills. I find it very useful.

Sometimes, that's not enough, so I use http://shipcomrade.com and https://wowsft.com/ in conjuntion with the wiki to get a sense of what others think. I also check LittleWhiteMouse's reviews. Even her old reviews are surprisingly relevant.

Edited by destawaits

[TDRB]
Members
3,504 posts
10,740 battles
56 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

That is a good place to start but it will take time to update them to the changes 8.7 will bring to AA.

[4HIM]
Members
2,793 posts
9,801 battles

I know @Mejash put out a series on YouTube on skills post CV rebork.  But given the short time frame to reset here, I doubt he or any of the other CC's would have the time to do the same.  1 week isn't enough to try some resets to figure out what combination works.  

[ING]
Members
76 posts
10,810 battles

No matter what, every one of my captains gets Priority Target. Its the only magic skill in the game and helps me the most every minute of the game.
Adrenaline Rush usually comes in second unless its a DD and then its Last stand.

I listen to what Little White Mouse says:
https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/117549-mouses-new-summary-of-premium-ships/

I use this link at ShipComrade:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc
...and look at usually the 2 builds with the most votes (pick list is lower right under "Captain Build Recommendations")

I do my best to analyze how I want to play the ship and build to its strengths unless I have a commander with special bonuses.

[NUWES]
Members
2,682 posts
8,593 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

War Gaming has given us until August 29th to reset commander points for free. How should I respect my AA commander I use on my Atlanta & Sims? What about the Cleveland? Then there are the ships with questionable AA, what about them?

I really do appreciate the free rest but it ends on August 29th. That isn't much time to test builds plus the French DD's event is in full swing.

I'll be checking YouTube & the forum for answers but I do wished WG gave us a little more time.

Honestly, I don't think it changes much for ships with weak AA. It would require dark sorcery to turn Musashi into even a weak (rather than embarrassing) AA boat for example. They may be a bit better (I doubt it) but the investment is too much just to be a little better. The French DDs for example are all sorts of abysmal.  I wouldn't put points into AA skill that doesn't provide it as a secondary benefit for any of them. It is more of a question on ships with useful AA and the question in particular is how valuable AFT and MFCforAA are under the newest system they are implementing. Both are expensive 4 point skills and few ships can afford all of them plus other essentials so you need to find the most cost-effective one.  Another important question for cruisers and some DDs is what skills, if any, stack with DFAA since that is changing somewhat as well. 

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,814 posts
4,866 battles

I normally reset all of the captains, so i can redo the skills later. free is free right?

• Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
2,682 posts
8,593 battles
Just now, MajorRenegade said:

I normally reset all of the captains, so i can redo the skills later. free is free right?

Good point. lol

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
302 posts

I'm so looking forward to this. I have so many poorly spec'd captains from back when I was new and had no idea what I was doing, just sitting in my reserves, waiting for their day to come. Soon, my poor neglected captains. Soon!

Edited by Hermetica

[ARMDG]
Members
1,160 posts
3,847 battles
2 minutes ago, UnitG2 said:

No matter what, every one of my captains gets Priority Target. Its the only magic skill in the game and helps me the most every minute of the game.

The choice of PT or PM really comes down to personal preference. PT gives you information quickly and allows you fire more guns as you can fire broadsides when people aren't looking at you, but it's negated by situational awareness.

[PVE]
Members
3,951 posts
22,257 battles
7 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

Ditto...but when you forget you did that & jump into a game w/zero points reassigned it can get devastating at times...especially when you don't realise there should be a 12 in your priority target until it's too late (you would think a fully broadside Mino would realise that all 12 of those spotted ships we're aiming at it...but my PT didn't warn me so I thought I was goo...doh!).

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,814 posts
4,866 battles
17 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Ditto...but when you forget you did that & jump into a game w/zero points reassigned it can get devastating at times...especially when you don't realise there should be a 12 in your priority target until it's too late (you would think a fully broadside Mino would realise that all 12 of those spotted ships we're aiming at it...but my PT didn't warn me so I thought I was goo...doh!).

I have reset my captains so many times that I have to check if I redid the skills or not to avoid that issue

[WOLFC]
Members
2,226 posts
12,613 battles
2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I really do appreciate the free rest but it ends on August 29th.

I may be wrong (you never know with WG's communications), but the way I read it is ...

... your reset is active for 1 week ... and you have until August 29th to activate it.  At the latest, I would activate it on August 28th.

edit: of course, "during the week following the Update's release" sounds like Aug 21-28 ... so, I guess you have to click it now.

Jeez, you gotta love WG ... disregard my first interpretation.  I blame the nap ... and the last 2 beers. :Smile_teethhappy:

ResetSkills.jpg

Edited by DocWalker
  • Funny 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,066 posts
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

That is a good place to start but it will take time to update them to the changes 8.7 will bring to AA.

Take full advantage of the re-spec period to change your skills around and then test them by playing. The published skills are a good place to start but your play-style might be better served with a different skill set. Also, carefully study the AA situation and evaluate how many times you actually are attacked by planes before committing. When I'm in a few heavy-AA cruisers I'm never attacked so it really would be worthless to run a full AA spec on them. Not to mention that they really don't need to be spec'd for AA to be AA monsters.

[PVE]
Members
3,951 posts
22,257 battles
8 hours ago, DocWalker said:

I may be wrong...

Odds are they will change at container change time which in the US is anywhere from (approximately) 3:20AM - 7:20 AM on the 29th which technically is "until the 29th" but only for the 1st few hours of it...so no...you're not wrong...you just know how to interpret WGese.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,578 posts
10,394 battles

Always assume the due date is the US Calendar day before the date WG gives.