You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ruar

Time to talk summer slump numbers?

44 comments in this topic

Members
1,105 posts
2,058 battles

https://stats.wotapi.ru/stats/wows/na/total

Given the stats for the last few weeks I think it might be time to talk about the server population numbers.  It looks like the summer slump is finally over after jumping up similar to last year's numbers.  The downside is last years jump happened nearly a month earlier while this years looks more like 2017s performance.  The question now becomes do the numbers slowly trend up like 2017 or do they start dropping like 2018?

I think we can also say that there was a decent hit to the population in general since the start of the year.  The numbers are down to 2017 levels instead of continuing 2018s climb.  

What I don't know is whether or not the events that occurred this year were similar to 2018 or 2017 but I'm hoping some of the folks who have been playing longer can see if there is any correlation between events from each year.

With the pending release of subs do you think it will cause the population to start moving back up or will more potentially contentious change cause the numbers to continue on the decline?

Will future ship lines be enough to keep people playing, or bring people back?

What do y'all think of the numbers?

P.S.- Mods, please don't send this to the off topic bin like the last server population discussion.  This is absolutely a conversation about the game in general, and shuffling it off to a dark corner of the forums doesn't prove the numbers look good but sure does indicate someone is afraid of what the numbers say.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts

Not sure NA should be the measuring stick, considering it's never even had half the population that EU/RU started with.

RU saw a temp bump from CB beginning, and appears to be dropping off again.

It appears CB is the only driver for peak numbers in NA now, but it's never come close to season 2.

Edited by awiggin

[SBS]
Members
5,055 posts
2,408 battles

I posted this earlier today in another thread.  Everyone is welcome draw their own conclusions from these numbers.

Here are the numbers for random battles played for June, July, and the first three weeks of August, NA server, for both this year and last year.  The bottom row in the table is the percentage drop compared to last year.

June July August
2018 6,523,251 6,727,795 5,618,158
2019 4,624,944 4,410,636 4,364,830

% Difference -29.10% -34.44% -22.31%
  • Cool 2

[TDRB]
Members
3,530 posts
10,833 battles
2 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I posted this earlier today in another thread.  Everyone is welcome draw their own conclusions from these numbers.

Here are the numbers for random battles played for June, July, and the first three weeks of August, NA server, for both this year and last year.  The bottom row in the table is the percentage drop compared to last year.

June July August

The problem is everyone does draw their own conclusions or more accurately speculations. These numbers only show random battles. The percentage of difference would be a good discussion point if there was more data to form an opinion.

[DENY]
Members
8,926 posts
9,933 battles

I think the 2017 slump was caused by the normal "players who've been here since the start just need a break" thing. Players in any game, especially MMO type games, tend to wind down and take a break after about a year and a half of their starting the game. The slump during 2019 on the other hand was caused directly within the game, and is entirely Wargaming's fault. The continuously more difficult, never ending grinds, including never ending Ranked, Ranked Sprint, and Clan Battles, caused player burnout on a much larger percentage of the player population than I've seen in a game before. Seriously, think about it, we've been full speed ahead with no real in game break since CB season 1 began. That's almost 2 years, as of now.

Add to that the horrific trainwreck that the CV rework has been, coming on the heels of all that. The energy, the ability to deal with the game has plummeted. Plus, the event rewards have decreased in perceived value constantly, while the work to gain those decreased value rewards has increased constantly.

I'm not even going to go into how the quality of the teams affects whether people want to play, that's another whole discussion on its own.

Edited by TheKrimzonDemon
  • Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
4,539 posts
17,116 battles
42 minutes ago, ruar said:

Given the stats for the last few weeks I think it might be time to talk about the server population numbers.  It looks like the summer slump is finally over after jumping up similar to last year's numbers.  The downside is last years jump happened nearly a month earlier while this years looks more like 2017s performance.  The question now becomes do the numbers slowly trend up like 2017 or do they start dropping like 2018?

I think we can also say that there was a decent hit to the population in general since the start of the year.  The numbers are down to 2017 levels instead of continuing 2018s climb.  

What I don't know is whether or not the events that occurred this year were similar to 2018 or 2017 but I'm hoping some of the folks who have been playing longer can see if there is any correlation between events from each year.

With the pending release of subs do you think it will cause the population to start moving back up or will more potentially contentious change cause the numbers to continue on the decline?

Will future ship lines be enough to keep people playing, or bring people back?

What do y'all think of the numbers?

P.S.- Mods, please don't send this to the off topic bin like the last server population discussion.  This is absolutely a conversation about the game in general, and shuffling it off to a dark corner of the forums doesn't prove the numbers look good but sure does indicate someone is afraid of what the numbers say.

I predict we'll only know for certain after Xmas holiday sales and by then it won't matter anyways … 

It's not like there's an election in 2020 where we can throw the bums out :)

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,281 posts
9,171 battles
18 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

June July August

bad news for those that play random battles  (which concurs with perceptions of a decline in the quality of random battles) but overall data needs to include, ranked, cb and coop/

Members
1,105 posts
2,058 battles
17 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

June July August

Does maple syrup show population numbers are well for the random battles?  If so we could get an idea of how many people have shifted to co-op between the two years.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,865 posts
13,960 battles

With the non-stopped ranked-cb-events i dont really need/want play random battles.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,845 posts
20,774 battles
22 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

June July August

That drop doesn't surprise me.  In between people getting upset from the CV Rework to the guys who DID go the CV route with the Rework getting burned by it as time progressed... It doesn't surprise me at all that the numbers dropped.  The only thing the Rework did was anger people, whether they hated CVs, or even guys that liked them.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,539 posts
17,116 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That drop doesn't surprise me.  In between people getting upset from the CV Rework to the guys who DID go the CV route with the Rework getting burned by it as time progressed... It doesn't surprise me at all that the numbers dropped.  The only thing the Rework did was anger people, whether they hated CVs, or even guys that liked them.

I'm just gonna come out and say it "CONFIRMATION BIAS" … jk

I'm pretty sure WG has decided they can afford to lose 20-25% of their player base and doesn't care … 

The question is - can WG replace those players and will they spend the same amount of money :)

[KWF]
Members
3,737 posts
5,388 battles
33 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

June July August

If I'm not wrong however this time last year was a US Cruiser line split, a highly anticipated and hyped event that got loads of popularity. Can't really compare that to French DD Event that's pretty much average.

[KW]
Banned
623 posts
22 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

With the non-stopped ranked-cb-events i dont really need/want play random battles.

cause randoms are boring, like i been saying and illustrating on how too make it less boring and more funner here: 

Edited by nastydamnanimal

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,865 posts
13,960 battles
1 minute ago, nastydamnanimal said:

cause randoms are boring, like i been saying

Atm i only like play randons with friends.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,587 posts
5,083 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

If I'm not wrong however this time last year was a US Cruiser line split, a highly anticipated and hyped event that got loads of popularity. Can't really compare that to French DD Event that's pretty much average.

Or less than.... I'd say this player base is rapidly tiring of these cash grab tech tree releases and the ever increasing grind associated with any reward in them, if the buzz on the fourms is any indication.   As far as the rework goes..maybe...but if surface ships don't feel better about things since 8.6 they aren't ever going to.   I know I have played a lot less CV this month over dissatisfaction with 8.6/8.7.    Only in the last week or so have I even pulled mine out of mothballs...playing ranked only for two weeks.       Having ranked battles and clan wars going on simultaneously and those games not being a part of this count is probably going to be a bigger impact than any of the above . .   

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,665 posts
10,504 battles

What if I'm playing fewer random battles because of life circumstances but enjoying the game just as much? That's not going to show up in these stats? What if, like me, you're a player who's rather burnt out on randoms but still having a damn good time in the PvE modes? You can talk battles played all you like, but it doesn't tell you the underlying reason why.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[NDA]
Supertester
5,308 posts
16,183 battles

I just noticed the number of players in game is no longer shown at the top of the port interface. 

:cap_hmm:

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
1 hour ago, ruar said:

Given the stats for the last few weeks I think it might be time to talk about the server population numbers. 

You think this is bad... wait till subs hit.  As soon as they announced subs, I put my accounts on hiatus.  CV's have been an absolute dumpster fire, Subs are going to be no better.  Imagine when they are trying 2 classes they can't balance.  They have had a hard enough time for one.  How do you think the population is going to react to that?

Edited by Forum_Troll

[KW]
Banned
623 posts
3 minutes ago, Forum_Troll said:

You think this is bad... wait till subs hit.  As soon as they announced subs, I put my accounts on hiatus.  CV's have been an absolute dumpster fire, Subs are going to be no better.

If they dont make them remarkably unique yes but could be home run / double play ect but still gotta fix randoms though. randoms need options of smaller game sizes and notority

Edited by nastydamnanimal

Members
1,105 posts
2,058 battles
Just now, Forum_Troll said:

You think this is bad... wait till subs hit.  As soon as they announced subs, I put my accounts on hiatus.  CV's have been an absolute dumpster fire, Subs are going to be no better.

The redeeming thing I saw in the sub announcement was putting them in their own mode instead of dropping in random.  I think the devs actually learned something from the CV dumpster fire.

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
Just now, ruar said:

The redeeming thing I saw in the sub announcement was putting them in their own mode instead of dropping in random.  I think the devs actually learned something from the CV dumpster fire.

You believe they are going to let them stay in their own mode?  Do you actually believe that?  I really hope not.  How do they make money?  Release broken ships into the wild for you to buy.  They don't make money on niche ships in some random game mode.  They make money through ships you have to spend $$ or level.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
2,532 posts
9,879 battles
7 minutes ago, nastydamnanimal said:

The point is he agrees with me

No I meant what’s the point of this thread .