You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SPQQKY

div-up help for serious noob

11 comments in this topic

Members
269 posts
3,845 battles

So my question is when I push the  "looking to join a division" button, What happens next.
How should I be prepared?
What will be expected of me?
How can I best contribute?
Your help will be devoured...thankyou!

Edited by ColdwaterCowboy_1
  • Cool 1

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
7 posts
6,416 battles

If you  have a headset, i'd div up with you. Add me in your contacts ingame and if you see me online, send me  a request. 

• Cool 1

Members
269 posts
3,845 battles
45 minutes ago, IIV_BucketRon said:

Add me in your contacts

I have you on my list now...thanks. I'll keep an eye open although I'm hoping to have some basic guidance before I waste a game on anybody.

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

People get tired of writing the same stuff over and over again when the information is all here and can be searched for either in the forums or elsewhere on YouTube or whathaveyou.

The easiest way is actually to division up or join a clan that embraces new players (like mine)... easier to TELL you than to write it all out again. 

Ill write out a few basic tips when I’m on a real keyboard but it’ll be a little bit. Use that time to search and how about you share a little of what you learn in the meantime. 

You are looking for help so that’s a plus and people will weigh in- I think most are trying out the new patch. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,342 posts
9,066 battles

Okay... I got up because I felt bad so here's a brief overview of my assessment on where you stand currently based on your stats located here https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1023962612,SPQQKY/

1) You raced through the tiers without properly learning or understanding the fundamentals of the game. This is highlighted by extremely low survival, damage, XP and hit%  pretty much across the board. 

2) That's why you're here looking for help... so on to that part. 

Here's are your questions answered: 

1) How should you be prepared: First of all- watch this specific video from iChase which corrects widespread misconceptions about the dynamic gunsight and makes a recommendation on a new one I've tested as well and really like. Takes some getting used to but it's great: 

2) What will be expected of you?: Nothing drives me more insane than taking someone under my wing and offering feedback to them throughout the game and they constantly reply with: But I like doing it this way. Or: This way works for me. Or: I'll remember that for next time (followed by not remembering). Basically, if someone is ready to take you out and provide some assistance, do what you're told REGARDLESS if it's your "favourite" way- at least while you're in the division. You will be expected to follow basic instructions, know a little about AP and HE (some of the more advanced stuff like overmatch, fusing etc. can be explained during the game) and the general vulnerability of of the ship you're in- 

3) How can you best contribute?: The best way for you to contribute is to do #2. Don't throw your ship away, fire at the target your div mate tells you to fire at, know how to aim beforehand by doing #1.

You would be amazed how much can be learned in a very short amount of time divisioning up with someone who is eager to help. 

If a person asked me what 3 things were most important in this game I would say: 

1) Know how to aim- I see unicums with main battery hit % in the mid- late 40s which is blinding... 30% is what I'd consider getting there. I think mine is reasonable at 35-36% overall and I play a decent mix of ships.  This is, in my opinion, the catalyst which trends towards overall improvement game wide: You start hitting what you're shooting at with the right ammunition and your XP goes up, damage goes up and inevitably wins start to pile up (eventually- though this one is slippery). 

2) Maintain situational awareness: Don't get tunnel visioned while you're shooting. Change your view like you're driving... every 8 seconds or so take a look up, look at your minimap, look around, then back to shooting. This may mean a couple times between each shot or every few shots depending on your ship. 

3) Get proficient in a tier before moving forward. If you join me you and I are going back down to tier 4 to relearn some basics. I recently brought on another new(ish) player and he's down there so he can help me help you too- if you're interested. If he sees this thread maybe he can add a few things I've overlooked.

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 2

Members
269 posts
3,845 battles
6 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

Okay... I got up because I felt bad

That is pretty kind of you thanks! ...I do need the help.

6 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

But I like doing it this way

I really don't have a way....I am here to get told what to do... and to pay attention and execute to the best of my ability. Remember my life here so far has been solo and as you can see it has been difficult.

6 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

Maintain situational awareness

I try to stay on top of the situation but I must say often I just can't tell what is happening. Other times it just seems to click. Overall things feel a little awkward, I am fighting to stay alive too often.

6 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

Get proficient in a tier before moving forward

I agree with all of your suggestions and would feel grateful if you where to take me out for a spin with you.

If you could let me know what your sweet-spot is for play time I will come looking for you.

P.S. the video is much appreciated.........I'm still aiming at the barn door......and missing...lol.

[FML]
Members
3,219 posts
13,715 battles

Well, I think @_ENO_ has covered all the main points well - have a +1. 

In addition, @SPQQKY, the following information might be helpful for you:

• Cool 2

Members
269 posts
3,845 battles
7 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

the following information might be helpful for you:

Thanks UltimateNewbie. Great info.....sucking it up!!