Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
lloyd1701

Stretch Events over 2 Updates (with currencies lasting 3) to Prevent Burnout

10 comments in this topic

[BUOY]
Members
571 posts
11,347 battles

WG, ever since you started the 4 week update schedule you've been throwing monthly events at us with massive grind requirements to get through those events such that even your biggest and most 'softball' fans such as NoZoup have been commenting ever louder on the OCD / burnout factor. A lot of things about your events don't make sense besides this such as the Directive 'Hall of Fame' only being active for the last week of the event AFTER you've already ground out all 4 stages. This worked for the Cossack directives since the HoF was active for half a week before resetting so you could place on it one week, not bother with it the next and so on. 

A lot of this could, IMO, be ameliorated by making it such that people could earn event currencies over two updates as opposed one and be able to spend them over three updates. You'd still have monthly events, and they could still be emphasized in such a way that if you skipped / barely participated in the event during that month (and earned, say, less than 60% of the tokens needed) it would be impossible to earn the big prize without either megagrinding the following month or paying RL$, but it would allow people who'd played a good amount and earned 61%-99% of the tokens needed a way to grind out the rest of those tokens while at the same time encouraging them to do so since most of the followup token generators could overlap with the new event's missions.

Put another way, my idea is that in the 'main' update of an event a player can grind 100% of that update's event tokens to get the big prize, but the big token generating missions end with the new update and are replaced by generic missions that can earn 40% of the tokens needed so people who participated a good amount won't be left with '1 away' issues. And of course since the event now lasts two updates, the currency lasts for three before being converted to silver, yes that means another currency is on top of your armory display, but I'd think 99% of the player base would accept that if it meant an end to the current burnout structure.

note: all my numbers are for illustrative purposes only and could be changed based on the event whether WG wanted to make it a 'tight' event like the Benham grind or a 'loose' one like Victory P1.

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

Ah... nice to feel validated in my decision to stop playing a few months ago. Boy does the grass look browner.

• Confused 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,673 posts
13,958 battles

Yeah, the patch grind thing is wearing thin.

I try to see things their way, they want to provide content to keep people active and the game growing, but it’s becoming counter productive.  

I like having things to do, I like having goals to accomplish.  But having to spend inordinate amounts of time is having the opposite effect of having fun and being engaged.  “You have 5 days to play 100 games” is what much of the game is devolving to, and it is not fun.  There are people that can keep up that pace, I cannot.

I said it yesterday in another thread, campaigns are awesome.  That can be staged out over time so the people who have to get stuff on day one can get it, but the slow pokes who like to stop and smell the roses can move along at their own pace and get the same rewards.

There was a time when I would not pass up any event, be it for a freemium or special commander.  But now?  Eh, probably not going to bother.  Is this what WG wants?

• Cool 2

[BUOY]
Members
571 posts
11,347 battles
26 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Ah... nice to feel validated in my decision to stop playing a few months ago. Boy does the grass look browner.

...I've been having a lot of fun with the events (aside from Victory Pt2), but like many I'm getting burned out by the extremely grindy nature of the accompanying missions combined with the 'you have to play on our update schedule exactly!' time limited nature of the events. I didn't make this thread to be a bash on WG, but rather a call for them to relax the update schedule so events are more 'campaign like' in that while the time limited element remains... it's not nearly so inflexible as it is now.

Honestly, if I had my druthers I'd have one event currency for every two updates such that you could buy all of the French event goodies with one type of token and have the missions structured such that you had two 'big prizes' worth the same amount of tokens (but only one per update), an update specific mission chain worth 100% that refreshed for each update and then a generic mission chain worth 40% available from start to finish. So if you skipped an update completely but wanted that update's reward but didn't care about the current update's reward you could still grind for the prize you wanted. I figured suggesting this in the OP would be a bridge too far though.

Edited by lloyd1701

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,022 posts
2,890 battles

Wait until the Research Bureau lands and people that want to try that will be regrinding lines during a season and at the same time WG continues running grindy events between patches, plus Clan/Naval Battles, Ranked/Sprint, Submarine test server, Halloween/Holiday events, etc.  It is too much for those of us who have other real-life obligations and can only crank out 8-12 battles a night.  As Frodo mentioned, then we have to make a choice.  With this last event, after I saw and experienced how "meh" the new French line and the ultimate prize was, I scaled back on playing as I knew I was not going to be able to finish it, and unlike the Royal Navy event, there was no way to directly buy tokens if you were just a bit short of a prize,  which made it an all or nothing deal this time.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
37 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Wait until the Research Bureau lands and people that want to try that will be regrinding lines during a season

Failing to understand that they don't have to get it all done in just three months. You get a double bonus for the FIRST line you reset in a season, which means the idea is you slow down and space out the resets to get the most out of them.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,022 posts
2,890 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Failing to understand that they don't have to get it all done in just three months. You get a double bonus for the FIRST line you reset in a season, which means the idea is you slow down and space out the resets to get the most out of them.

So you still need to get one line done in a season, right?  Considering I've only gotten 4 lines up to tier 8 in one year, even that seems like a chore.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
1 minute ago, Bonfor said:

So you still need to get one line done in a season, right?  Considering I've only gotten 4 lines up to tier 8 in one year, even that seems like a chore.

No. My understanding is that you can take as long as you like, but only the first reset performed in any one season counts for bonus research points. i.e. don't push the reset button on more than one line per season.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,022 posts
2,890 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No. My understanding is that you can take as long as you like, but only the first reset performed in any one season counts for bonus research points. i.e. don't push the reset button on more than one line per season.

Yep, you are correct, I found that in the RB write up...:cap_like:

Members
2,105 posts
3,709 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This was my read on it, as well. You press reset during a season, and then whenever you get to the T6-T10 in that line, you get double research points, even if that was a year later.

Sign in to follow this