You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Smolensk is calling for 244,000 coal (when 0.8.7 drops), BUT...

190 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles

...she has burst onto the scene with almost no notice and no recent CC testing done that I have noticed.

I already have two T9 battleships (Musashi, JB) and feel no immediate need for another (Georgia). Therefore, Smolensk definitely holds my interest. However, before I bite, I want to know:

1) Is she actually any good in her release form?

2) What are her co-op and PvP-based service costs?

I would advise anyone who wasn't actually involved in her testing, and informed of what's changed for release, to keep their coal firmly in their pockets for now.

Wait for a range of CC's to take her out and drive her FOR REALZ, and make up your mind based on the weight of a number of opinions, your own playstyle, and the needs of your fleet. For example, it may be that she sucks in Clan battles and T10 ranked, and if that's all you play you would not want to touch her with a barge-pole. But if her weaknesses are mitigated in co-op and/or randoms, and that's where you hang out, she might be just your thing.

Don't be one of those obscenely early adopters who thrusts their hands into the pool of yellow stuff only to find, too late, that it is not gold coins.

DISCLOSURE: After all that, I bought her on day one because two people whose opinions I trust got her first and said she was just amazeballs. Yes, her co-op service costs are dirt-cheap for Tier 10 (27,000 credits before ammo and consumables). Yes, I think she is a lot of fun there (and so did the people whose advice I took). I'll take her into randoms when I'm ready.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,155 posts

What's a Smolensk? 

(Seriously, I recognize the name and that's it, I don't remember anything else... assuming Russian from the name...) 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

What's a Smolensk? 

(Seriously, I recognize the name and that's it, I don't remember anything else... assuming Russian from the name...) 

It's a bit like a super-Khabarovsk, but with four guns per turret. She pays for it with cruiser matchmaking and (IIRC) more sedate speed.

I suspect she's a poor man's Colbert, for people who will never have enough RB/NTC credit but who want a rainbow of fire and don't care what flag it flies.

• Funny 1

[U571]
Members
2,077 posts
14,014 battles

Smolensk is a T10 Light Cruiser, think of it as a Russian Flint.  Literally.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,814 posts
20,723 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

What's a Smolensk? 

Smolensk in WoWS Fitting Tool.

Squishy RU CL.

4x4 130mm guns.

Smoke Generator.

Both her and Colbert were announced as WiP ships at the same time a while back.

• Cool 1

[FOG]
Members
643 posts
6,508 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...she has burst onto the scene with almost no notice and no recent CC testing done that I have noticed.

I already have two T9 battleships (Musashi, JB) and feel no immediate need for another (Georgia). Therefore, Smolensk definitely holds my interest. However, before I bite, I want to know:

1) Is she actually any good in her release form?

2) What are her co-op and PvP-based service costs?

I would advise anyone who wasn't actually involved in her testing, and informed of what's changed for release, to keep their coal firmly in their pockets for now.

Wait for a range of CC's to take her out and drive her FOR REALZ, and make up your mind based on the weight of a number of opinions, your own playstyle, and the needs of your fleet. For example, it may be that she sucks in Clan battles and T10 ranked, and if that's all you play you would not want to touch her with a barge-pole. But if her weaknesses are mitigated in co-op and/or randoms, and that's where you hang out, she might be just your thing.

Don't be one of those obscenely early adopters who thrusts their hands into the pool of yellow stuff only to find, too late, that it is not gold coins.

Your point is very well taken, but I fully expect tomorrow during "prime time" battle hours that the monitor skies will be alight with a continuous stream of 16 round clusters heading for targets of multiple Smolensks…. 

[RED]
[RED]
Members
255 posts
11,627 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

suspect she's a poor man's Colbert, for people who will never have enough RB/NTC credit but who want a rainbow of fire and don't care what flag it flies.

No rainbow here, per the wiki she has the Russian high velocity flat arcs.

[FOG]
Members
643 posts
6,508 battles
2 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

Smolensk is a T10 Light Cruiser, think of it as a Russian Flint.  Literally.

I think of it as a Kutuzov on steroids....

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles

Oh my God. I forgot she had the smoke generator.

Jesus flipping Christ, the bots are going to hate me.

1 minute ago, custer_14 said:

No rainbow here

Well okay, a somewhat flatter rainbow. :Smile_teethhappy: But still an arc of fire that will make the recipients miserable. 

My Kiev captain is getting IFHE the minute he gets to 14 points. Or should that be DE the minute he gets to 13?

Oh my freaking God.

WG, please tell me soon that Hayate is for FXP or steel, so I can buy this thing without hesitation? :Smile_coin:

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
748 posts
10,711 battles

Ran into her once during testing.  She beat the stupid off me during that encounter.  Not sure about the final product.

• Funny 2

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
3,887 battles

244000 coal? That's not that hard to reach for an average player, especially for a flamethrower. Who made this price?

Edited by tyinnow
  • Angry 1

[WOLFG]
Members
7,390 posts
5,337 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh my God. I forgot she had the smoke generator.

Jesus flipping Christ, the bots are going to hate me.

Well okay, a somewhat flatter rainbow. :Smile_teethhappy: But still an arc of fire that will make the recipients miserable. 

My Kiev captain is getting IFHE the minute he gets to 14 points. Or should that be DE the minute he gets to 13?

Oh my freaking God.

WG, please tell me soon that Hayate is for FXP or steel, so I can buy this thing without hesitation? :Smile_coin:

Sounds like you are bypassing that wait and see approach the OP is recommending. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
1,771 posts
6,729 battles

Well, it seems I now know what I will be using my ship discount coupon on when 12/26 rolls around.  :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
1 minute ago, Viper069 said:

Not sure about the final product.

That's why my OP advocated waiting.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Sounds like you are bypassing that wait and see approach the OP is recommending. 

LOL I AM THE OP.

By the time the Hayate is announced, I should have enough data on Smolensk to make a reasoned choice. When I say "without hesitation", I mean without having to make a choice between the two.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
2 minutes ago, tyinnow said:

244000 coal? That's not that hard to reach for an average player, especially for a flamethrower. Who made this price?

Considering that people have been blowing their coal on Georgia, Jean Bart and Yoshino since the last coupon came out, the amount of coal out there might not be as high as you imagine.

1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Salem is also a Tier X "Coal" Cruiser.  Costs 240k Coal if WoWs Wiki is right.

News page says 244K for Smolensk. Source:  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-087-french-destroyers-part-2/ 

image.thumb.png.1c9b0557d41bdb861e4822b3af7d41cb.png

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
3,887 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Salem is also a Tier X "Coal" Cruiser.  Costs 240k Coal if WoWs Wiki is right.

Right. But coal inflation. 

Back in the day when the arsenal was started, Musashi only cost 179k or something, and a tier up the Salem was 240k. However, generally there has been more coal over time. I bet some have been saving.

Edited by tyinnow
  • Angry 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
2 minutes ago, tyinnow said:

I bet some have been saving.

I got the Aigle and Campbeltown last year, the Salem at Christmas (when that coupon dropped), the Charleston as soon as possible afterwards (I was just about cleaned out), the Jean Bart with the midyear coupon, and I'm back up to 300K already. There have been a few CC or prize containers in that, but even without those I would have had enough for any coal ship I wanted before the 2019 Christmas ship coupon dropped.

I have, admittedly, been lucky with triple-coal drops over the last few months or so (including two triples the night before last). 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
22,814 posts
20,723 battles
9 minutes ago, tyinnow said:

Right. But coal inflation. 

Back in the day when the arsenal was started, Musashi only cost 179k or something, and a tier up the Salem was 240k. However, generally there has been more coal over time. I bet some have been saving.

Musashi is a Tier IX, Salem is a Tier X.

[AAA]
Members
928 posts
10,551 battles
28 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

What's a Smolensk? 

It's what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah from the Bible. Archeologist not think God dropped Smolensk into the Dead Sea and it rained down Russian Bias on those cities.

• Funny 1