Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Somers here tomorrow: 25,000 steel

12 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,661 posts
9,793 battles

It's here... some people were predicting it would get re-buffed closer to launch.  Guess not.  So we'll see if man can survive on torpedoes alone.  (reminder: Somers has a lot of guns but pitiful reload speed, meaning it puts out fewer of the regular USN 5" shells than any other high-tier USN DD).  The steel price isn't quite as bad as I was afraid... I thought it might be 30k.

So, what does this line in the patch notes mean?

• As many as eight 127 mm main battery guns.

I see two possible interpretations:

• Literally, there is some configuration of Somers in which it has LESS than eight guns, and this configuration has escaped the attention of testers up until this point (seems unlikely)
  • Wargaming has yet again released patch notes with the aid of Google Translate instead of hiring an employee whose native language is English
  • Funny 3

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
2 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Wargaming has yet again released patch notes with the aid of Google Translate instead of hiring an employee whose native language is English

My bet's on this one, although I'm not sure it's so much Google Translate as the way bilingual Russians carry their language's grammar over to the second language. 

Please, for the love of God, Wargaming - if you hire someone for proofing, please pick someone who went to school at a time and in a place when good spelling and grammar were rewarded and sloppiness punished harshly.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[KWF]
Members
3,741 posts
5,401 battles

Benham has done ok on torps alone and at least the sheer number of guns should give the ship some respectable alpha. No idea on the gun angles though.

Something I realized by the way; Somers is the other side of the coin of Hayate. The one is a Gearing/Shima hybrid with emphasis on gunnery, the other a Gearing/Shima hybrid with emphasis on torpedoes.

Edited by warheart1992

[VETSN]
Members
1,055 posts
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Benham has done ok on torps alone and at least the sheer number of guns should give the ship some respectable alpha. No idea on the gun angles though.

Something I realized by the way; Somers is the other side of the coin of Hayate. The one is a Gearing/Shima hybrid with emphasis on gunnery, the other a Gearing/Shima hybrid with emphasis on torpedoes.

So Hayate will be another resource? Coal? I gravitate towards gunbotes but... I can’t afford Somers so I’m SOL anyways.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,757 posts
10,613 battles
3 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

So Hayate will be another resource? Coal?

Whichever she is, I hope they announce it soon. If it's coal, I might have a difficult decision to make (Smolensk is coming out tomorrow for 244K coal). If it's FXP, the decision is far easier (I think I would prefer Hayate to a DD that has no torpedoes at all). If it's steel it becomes irrelevant, which in itself would be good to know.

The wait will probably be good for me anyway; I would like to see how Smolensk does in the cold light of day before I blow most of my coal reserves on her.

[R-F]
Members
1,661 posts
9,793 battles
14 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

"doing okay" is is exactly how I would describe benham.  Even with the crazy number of torps it can put in the water it's not blowing anybody away with the random stats or dominating in ranked or anything.  Somers will have GOOD torps but you don't get to play the "launch, turn ship around, launch, turn ship around" game all match like Benham does.  

[WOLF3]
Members
22,938 posts
20,865 battles

Makes you wonder how much Steel the next Tier X Steel BB will be.  Bourgogne is already expensive in Steel, but she came out before WG started increasing FreeXP, Steel costs.

Just now, Brhinosaurus said:

"doing okay" is is exactly how I would describe benham.  Even with the crazy number of torps it can put in the water it's not blowing anybody away with the random stats or dominating in ranked or anything.  Somers will have GOOD torps but you don't get to play the "launch, turn ship around, launch, turn ship around" game all match like Benham does.  

Benham:  "So yeah, like I was saying, I was going to -OH LOOK MY TORPEDOES ARE ALL RELOADED AGAIN!11!1!"

:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KWF]
Members
3,741 posts
5,401 battles
2 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

To be honest that's my problem with almost all torpedoboats. It's such a feast or famine affair since you have to overly rely on your torps.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,938 posts
20,865 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

To be honest that's my problem with almost all torpedoboats. It's such a feast or famine affair since you have to overly rely on your torps.

LOL I remember games where I'd rack up lots of hits with torpedoes, and then other games where I'm just hoping for 1-2 hits :Smile_trollface:  If your opponents are dumb, GREAT!  If they're not, then good luck!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[R-F]
Members
1,661 posts
9,793 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

LOL I remember games where I'd rack up lots of hits with torpedoes, and then other games where I'm just hoping for 1-2 hits :Smile_trollface:  If your opponents are dumb, GREAT!  If they're not, then good luck!

I've found that Benham leaves a lot of wounded ships around.  The torpedo hits come constantly all game, but in 1s and 2s.  If you've got the kind of teammates that can capitalize on that, great.  If not, you may not have a great game.

[K0]
Members
1,744 posts
7,346 battles

My experience fighting Benhams is that they're incredibly annoying to push into, but at least they're limited in range and damage per hit. Maybe Somers will be more of the same.

Members
2,105 posts
3,709 battles
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I've found that Benham leaves a lot of wounded ships around.  The torpedo hits come constantly all game, but in 1s and 2s.  If you've got the kind of teammates that can capitalize on that, great.  If not, you may not have a great game.

This for me, too, with the addition that Benham is a fairly safe and forgiving DD to play (for a DD) and that typically what happens is that I have a very low damage game or a very high damage game, but my survivability in Benham is excellent, and I don't often feel like I'll be instantly deleted just because I'm uptiered.

Sign in to follow this