You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

PSA: No "Researchable" T9/T10 French DD (Tech Tree) until Update 8.8

23 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
10,206 posts
18,780 battles

For those looking forward to the T9 (Mogador) and T10 (Kleber) French DD's becoming available with tomorrow's update; sorry it isn't happening. The T9 and T10 will not be researchable until update 8.8. Only T2-T8 will be researchable in 8.7. 

I can only assume this is to make more $$$ by selling the doubloon bundles to get Mogador. What other reason can there be to delay finished and ready for release (we already have T9's out there) ships?

I honestly don't care about the French DD's but I know many were looking forward to these 2 ships. I have the T9 and will FXP the T10 the day it drops to finish the line (I am OCD and have all other lines done). This update, or next, I am only looking forward to T10 to finish off the line and be done with it. I imagine many people who actually want the ships will be upset.

WG sure does do some head scratching things...:Smile_amazed:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/french-destroyers-branch-review/

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 5
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,155 posts

Selling more random-roll-packs is probably part of it.

But I think it might also have something to do with trying to mitigate the problems they cause themselves without admitting they've caused a problem.   These free giveaway ships during the intro events exacerbate the gap between experienced players and new players (only players with a lot of ships can easily unlock the chances to get the new line early, leaving newer players to grind the lines when they finally come out while long-time players already have them), and also reduce the amount of time that players will spend on the new line, thus undercutting the "new content pipeline".   So delaying the last two ships does a little to re-extend the "new stuff in the game" timeframe that they've cost themselves with the giveaway. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I can only assume this is to make more $$$ by selling the doubloon bundles to get Mogador.

My assumption is that they're trying to keep people's FXP in their pockets until the Friesland is out, and encourage them to grind for T9/10 instead.

That, and letting existing Mogador drivers dip their toes in the waters of T9 ranked without the event being absolutely flooded with them.

There's going to be salt from people who FXP to Kleber, do badly in it, and suddenly find themselves with not enough for the Friesland.

2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

only players with a lot of ships can easily unlock the chances to get the new line early

No. Early unlock chances were independent of fleet size. The ability to get the permacamos and unlock the Mogador Roulette draw WAS based on fleet size. Don't get the two confused.

• Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,155 posts
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No. Early unlock chances were independent of fleet size. The ability to get the permacamos and unlock the Mogador Roulette draw WAS based on fleet size. Don't get the two confused.

If you don't have a broad selection of ships across nations and into the mid and upper tiers, how were you going to complete the missions in the Directives to get the free French crates that contained the RNG chances to get the bonus unlock missions? 

[WOLF3]
Members
22,814 posts
20,723 battles

More time for people to spend on the Mogador Random Bundles.  That's what it really is.  First time I can recall WG holding back Tier IX-X of a new ship line when the line goes Live.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,262 posts
9,171 battles

they appear to be trying to get a better return on their investmùent in the tech tree ships, which to me, makes sense. On the other hand, I am not happy with loot crates to obtain early access (ok I have bought some now and again!), it would be far better and more transparent (less bovine excrement), if they simply sold early access to specific tech tree ship, for doublons. I am sure they would sell, like chocolate chip cookies. That way, players would "get what they pay for", a far more honest sale, far less of a dodgy gambling shell game.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

If you don't have a broad selection of ships across nations and into the mid and upper tiers, how were you going to complete the missions in the Directives to get the free French crates that contained the RNG chances to get the bonus unlock missions? 

I have a hundred ships in my port. I got two unlock chances, both from Daily Supply crates, NONE from directive-based crates, and I won the Siroco. However, I don't have enough tokens for all the permacamos.

I missed the crates for Commonwealth (I wasn't going to do a seventh 3M credit grind), plus Italy, Poland and Pan-America because I didn't have premiums in those nations or a T7-9 French DD. Whoopee-freaking-doo.

There is a difference between having a big enough fleet to actually get through, and a humungous-enough fleet to grab all the stuff. 

[UFFA]
Members
1,914 posts
73 battles

the lock down on Mogador and Kebler is asinine. ~$40 to unlock some ships early was meh. Now $100 for premium crate bundle and another up to $90 for a tier IX? I’m not looking forward to the next iteration of this scheme. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
2 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

~$40 to unlock some ships early was meh.

It was also unnecessary. They all go live today and can be ground out for nothing.

and another up to $90 for a tier IX?

Also unnecessary. She's coming in four weeks, which means you can start grinding your way towards that for nothing too, and her 4000 doubloon standard permacamo will cost you much less than $90.

3 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

$100 for premium crate bundle

Nobody was forcing you to buy it.

I wish people would stop blaming Wargaming for their own innate inability to keep their money in pocket.

• Boring 1

[UFFA]
Members
1,914 posts
73 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It was also unnecessary. They all go live today and can be ground out for nothing.

Also unnecessary. She's coming in four weeks, which means you can start grinding your way towards that for nothing too, and her 4000 doubloon standard permacamo will cost you much less than $90.

Nobody was forcing you to buy it.

I wish people would stop blaming Wargaming for their own innate inability to keep their money in pocket.

The way you carved that up was atrocious and extremely poor form. If you want to get a point across do so. Do not misquote and make assumptions to create a narrative you want. Cheers.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
Members
1,914 posts
73 battles
Just now, HorrorRoach said:

Artificial Scarcity

Star Citizen to a T. Remember that bad [edited]militia F-15 type $300USD ship you bought? Well manufacturer XYZ has a super duper F22 type they are selling a handful of to civilians so get your LTI version NAOOOO FOR $450!!!! :Smile-_tongue:

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles

The way you carved that up was atrocious and extremely poor form. If you want to get a point across do so. Do not misquote and make assumptions to create a narrative you want. Cheers.

I would have thought my point was very clear. You were complaining about the amount of money WG was supposedly asking for. I was making it clear that spending any of it was unnecessary.

7 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Artificial Scarcity

No. It's a combination of greed, impatience, and a desire for superior status.

[INTEL]
Members
2,569 posts
13,398 battles
22 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

More time for people to spend on the Mogador Random Bundles.  That's what it really is.  First time I can recall WG holding back Tier IX-X of a new ship line when the line goes Live.

It's this...and it was an enticement to go for the bundles in early 0.8.6.  If the Mogador was only exclusive for one patch more people would just wait one patch for it.   Plus most people would not be able to get through the token grind in the first week or two of 0.8.6 as it's a hefty grind.  Their exclusivity would be shorter than a patch.

Edited by ClassicLib

Members
2,070 posts
3,641 battles
22 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I've only been playing for six months, and my highest tech tree ship is Tier VIII, and I only have one of those fully outfitted and three more I can't afford to buy. I didn't really have a problem completing the directives. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
14 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

and it was an enticement to go for the bundles in early 0.8.6. 

IF you had enough tokens from your fleet. WG shot themselves in the foot here. Not that it mattered to me, because I valued the permacamos more, but there's a problem with their Mogador Lottery when a two-year veteran with a hundred ships in their port, two early unlocks and the Siroco can't even get close to accessing it. They put too few tokens into the general economy. 

[INTEL]
Members
2,569 posts
13,398 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IF you had enough tokens from your fleet. WG shot themselves in the foot here. Not that it mattered to me, because I valued the permacamos more, but there's a problem with their Mogador Lottery when a two-year veteran with a hundred ships in their port, two early unlocks and the Siroco can't even get close to accessing it. They put too few tokens into the general economy. 

You can bet some people burned some FXP (and doubloons) getting more ships.  Just like they did with Snowflakes and Anniversary SCs.

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
6 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

You can bet some people burned some FXP (and doubloons) getting more ships. 

Of course they did, and at Christmas I did the same (I FXP'd to the Richelieu at the very last minute, for example) - but only because the high level reward there was steel, which is permanent in the game until you spend it. For me it seemed false economy to do it for a temporary currency. 

If they give out steel for Tier 9 tech tree ships at Christmas, I'll be pulling the trigger on both Buffalo and Seattle. I have them both researched, but nowhere near enough credits to buy and outfit. My goal for the next steel snowflake season will be to have enough credits to get both without totally bankrupting myself. For now, I have both Colorado and Shinonome to equip, and the discount modules are here at just the right moment.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
11,155 posts
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Of course they did, and at Christmas I did the same (I FXP'd to the Richelieu at the very last minute, for example) - but only because the high level reward there was steel, which is permanent in the game until you spend it. For me it seemed false economy to do it for a temporary currency. 

If they give out steel for Tier 9 tech tree ships at Christmas, I'll be pulling the trigger on both Buffalo and Seattle. I have them both researched, but nowhere near enough credits to buy and outfit. My goal for the next steel snowflake season will be to have enough credits to get both without totally bankrupting myself. For now, I have both Colorado and Shinonome to equip, and the discount modules are here at just the right moment.

I hope they do Steel again, the Flint is just sitting there waiting for me to get another ~3500. 

[ARGSY]
Members
15,644 posts
10,464 battles
16 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

LOL This just in....

The cash registers are going to be ringing all day long, and not just because of the RB customers. I suspect being able to put money down and guarantee which Draconic flags you get (even if it's "a few of each one") is going to please a LOT of potential crate whales who are holding back because they don't want to risk RNGesus sticking it to them with nothing but Wyverns when what they want is XP flags.

Also, they put tokens in the crates this time. Good move, WG. You've corrected your SNAFU from last patch. 

Now you can play for tokens in the directives, wait until the end and buy only as many crates as you need to guarantee yourself the commander, which is permanent content. I might actually be tempted.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu